Yamaha rx-a720 "official" owner's thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Yamaha rx-a720 "official" owner's thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99
09:10 AM Liked: 176
post #181 of 308
03-09-2013 | Posts: 6,097
The fact that you can hear something from the sub I guess proves things are connected properly.

The Yamaha sub pre-out voltage is a bit lower than some other receivers, but that's not usually a problem except you have to turn up the volume knob on the sub itself. If you've maxed out the volume, it can help to split the sub signal from the receiver and connect it to both L and R sub inputs (if your sub has two inputs --- what sub is it?).
PretzelFisch's Avatar PretzelFisch
09:53 PM Liked: 158
post #182 of 308
03-09-2013 | Posts: 527
I have a yamaha YST-SW012 but have tried a 10 inch sony sub that came in a hometheater box. both just have one input.
08:29 AM Liked: 176
post #183 of 308
03-10-2013 | Posts: 6,097
You could try both sub outputs on the 720 to make sure they are the same (which they should be, but you never know).

The test tones are affected by the master volume on the 720, so the absolute volume from the sub test tone is not so important as how the sub test tone compares to the test tone from the other speakers.

What crossover frequency is set in the 720? If it's too low the sub won't play much, because that sub is probably not very loud much below 40Hz (the 28Hz spec is 10dB down).

And what levels are set for the main speakers as well as for the sub in the 720? When you can't turn up the sub enough (because +10 is the maximum sub level) you can turn down the other speakers instead to increase the difference between the sub and the mains.
07:15 PM Liked: 158
post #184 of 308
03-11-2013 | Posts: 527
I have cross over set to 90Hz. I'll try lowering speakers see how that helps. YAPO likes to set the sub to 160Hz when I run the calibration but that is because of a pair of junky surround backs I have. It may just be time for a new better sub.
wader2k's Avatar wader2k
11:10 PM Liked: 14
post #185 of 308
03-11-2013 | Posts: 203
I am interested in the resolution to this problem myself. The test tone for the sub(RW-12D) is definitely much lower than for the other speakers on my 673 even with it set at +10db in manual settings.
07:26 AM Liked: 176
post #186 of 308
03-12-2013 | Posts: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post

I am interested in the resolution to this problem myself. The test tone for the sub(RW-12D) is definitely much lower than for the other speakers on my 673 even with it set at +10db in manual settings.

The sub test tone does tend to sound quieter than the other speakers (because of the low frequencies), so it's nice to have an SPL meter to get a real measurement before concluding the sub is too low.

But what are your other speaker levels set to? If the main speakers are also +ve values, then you don't have much adjustment to increase the sub relative to the mains. If you set the other speakers to low -ve values (subtracting the same amount from each one to keep them balanced), then +10dB on the sub will have more effect. Of course you will have to use a higher master volume setting after turning down your main speaker levels, but that's not a problem.
wader2k's Avatar wader2k
10:04 AM Liked: 14
post #187 of 308
03-12-2013 | Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The sub test tone does tend to sound quieter than the other speakers (because of the low frequencies), so it's nice to have an SPL meter to get a real measurement before concluding the sub is too low.

But what are your other speaker levels set to? If the main speakers are also +ve values, then you don't have much adjustment to increase the sub relative to the mains. If you set the other speakers to low -ve values (subtracting the same amount from each one to keep them balanced), then +10dB on the sub will have more effect. Of course you will have to use a higher master volume setting after turning down your main speaker levels, but that's not a problem.

Thanks for the input.

This was all from a quick manual setup. All speakers were at 0db except the sub. It isn't bad, but I am still playing around and haven't had much time yet. I will probably run YPAO for the first time tonite and see where that leaves me. How loud does it get during the YPAO calibration process?
10:26 AM Liked: 158
post #188 of 308
03-12-2013 | Posts: 527
I found Yamaha's faq answer http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a720_black_u/10313/5957/?current_page_id=2&sort=best&type=
Which I find strange since they basically recommend setting the fronts to large and enabling extra bass.

What I had found is that after running auto setup my speakers were set to large and extra bass was enabled. I had changed this setting so the speakers were set to small which disabled the extra bass in the on screen menu. I then went to the receivers advanced setup via the network and was able to set extra base to off. This seemed to improve the output, but I don't know why it would.

Next I found another thread on avsforum that seemed to encounter the same type of problem http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386714/yamaha-receiver-subwoofer-volume-very-low/0_100#post_22266816

That sounds similar to my issue so I tried resetting the system to factory settings and manual do configurations. The output does seem better. But I need to get a SPL meter.
12:03 PM Liked: 176
post #189 of 308
03-12-2013 | Posts: 6,097
Strange advice on the FAQ. Extra bass will give you louder bass (if your main speakers can play low), but it's not actually solving the low subwoofer problem and is not normally recommended ("large" speakers take more power from the receiver, and you can get muddy bass when it's coming from multiple speakers).

If you set the main speakers to -10dB and sub to +10dB, you'll get another 10dB from the sub (relative to the mains set at 0dB), but it's surprising you would have to do that. Most subs don't require it.

It's also worth checking if things sound different with the phase reversed on the sub. If you're unlucky and the mains are cancelling the sub near the crossover frequency the bass will sound weak. If your sub has no phase control there's a setting in the receiver to reverse the phase. Or you can add a few feet to the sub distance setting (7 feet is half a wavelength at 80Hz).
meef's Avatar meef
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #190 of 308
03-12-2013 | Posts: 2
The salesman in store misled me that I can have only single HDMI connection
to TV with A720 model and all others types (COMPONENT/COMPOSITE) will be upconverted.
Great thanks to point me about the COMPONENT connection to TV for resolution more than 480i.
This added 3 composite cables going to TV and since my TV doesn't support ARC the TOSLINK
optical as well.

So the software doesn't work as I expected (just pressing single SCENE button) even for simple
case like Device 2 connected with component and audio coax connection to AV2.
First I should select TV input to component one and then press AV2 not in reverse sequence.
If I press AV2 first and then select TV input to component it will change audio input to AV4,
so I need to press AV2 second time.
It looks like there is some bug in HDMI control software or in my understanding how to proper
to configure the HDMI control in TV and A720.

In addition my A720 under some sequence of switching between sources (I had not realize which one)
disable the audio output and only one way to enable it by recycling the power (red button on remote).
If somebody had this problem I will appreciate any feed back.
07:40 AM Liked: 176
post #191 of 308
03-13-2013 | Posts: 6,097
If you turn off HDMI Control it will not switch to AV4 when you change TV inputs. Or you can set TV Audio Input to AV2 so it will switch automatically to AV2 instead of AV4. See page 87 of the 720 manual.

Not sure about your last problem, but maybe turnng off HDMI control will help. And after losing audio, can you get it back just by switching inputs instead of turning off?
mknecht01's Avatar mknecht01
09:04 AM Liked: 20
post #192 of 308
03-13-2013 | Posts: 171
Quote:

If you turn off HDMI Control it will not switch to AV4 when you change TV inputs. Or you can set TV Audio Input to AV2 so it will switch automatically to AV2 instead of AV4. See page 87 of the 720 manual.

Not sure about your last problem, but maybe turnng off HDMI control will help. And after losing audio, can you get it back just by switching inputs instead of turning off?

I had a weird problem with loss of sound from my Blu-Ray player shortly after setting up the receiver. The TV powered itself off automatically while the Blu-ray player was playing, and after that I had no sound coming from the Blu-Ray player. I had not yet completely configured the 720. I tried changing a bunch of settings, and could not figure out how to get sound back. Ultimately I solved the issue by changing the Blu-ray player to HDMI input #2, and putting my satellite box in HDMI #1 - then I had sound from everything. Have not had the same problem twice, I think it was caused by some weird interaction of HDMI control, ARC, and the TV auto-off feature. I've turned off the HDMI Control settings since.
fantamos's Avatar fantamos
12:05 AM Liked: 10
post #193 of 308
03-15-2013 | Posts: 1
Does the rx-a720 allow play of audio from one hdmi source and video from another hdmi source, simultaneously?
08:05 AM Liked: 176
post #194 of 308
03-15-2013 | Posts: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantamos View Post

Does the rx-a720 allow play of audio from one hdmi source and video from another hdmi source, simultaneously?

No, and I don't think you'll find any receiver that can. The usual solution is to add an extra audio cable between the source and receiver (e.g. optical if the source supports it). Then you can tell the receiver to take its video from one HDMI input and its audio from the optical input.
angleton's Avatar angleton
10:06 PM Liked: 10
post #195 of 308
03-16-2013 | Posts: 3
I'm having a lot of trouble getting enough signal out of the sub pre outs. I've gone through every obvious setting: the sub is set to +10 and all other speakers are at -10. I've got them going to a Crown XLS1000, and it's just not getting enough to amplify; the amp is cranked to max, but it's barely audible. I've verified that the Crown works well with my other Onkyo unit, so I just don't get what the problem is. It sounds great on the rest of the theater speakers though, but when it comes to the sub it's hugely deficient so far.

I just finished with a firmware update to 1.64, but I don't notice any difference.

Update: If I crank everything up to max - I mean absolute max too +16.5 db - it's what I would expect, but this can't be right.
Paul Perry's Avatar Paul Perry
05:34 PM Liked: 10
post #196 of 308
03-20-2013 | Posts: 5
Hello, new RX-A720 owner here! I am interested in getting a subwoofer, but it looks like the receiver uses a special type of connector, called an "Audio pin cable" in the manual (pg. 18).

The subwoofer I am interested does not seem to have this type of connection. Does this cable have an adapter, or is it proprietary to Yamaha?

This is the subwoofer I am looking into:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=9723&seq=1&format=2

Anybody have any opinions on it who own it? Will it work with the Yamaha receiver?

Any help would be appreciated. The folks at MonoPrice did not know about this type of connector (and they specialize in selling cables).

Many Thanks,
06:24 PM Liked: 158
post #197 of 308
03-20-2013 | Posts: 527
That is just the typical rca style subwoofer cable you can buy them on monoprice. They will connect to the jack on the back of the subwoofer. The mono price one has a L/R but the reviews indicate that you can just plug the cable into one jack and you don't need a spliter.
10:21 AM Liked: 10
post #198 of 308
03-21-2013 | Posts: 5
Thanks PretzelFisch, for clarifying! I appreciate the help. So, it is really just a normal RCA connector, like the (cheapie) one which is included with the speaker?
10:20 PM Liked: 158
post #199 of 308
03-21-2013 | Posts: 527
yeah same thing
soxfan612's Avatar soxfan612
01:14 PM Liked: 10
post #200 of 308
03-22-2013 | Posts: 1
Got the receiver about a month ago and the retailer set it up for me along w a universal remote. Currently my kitchen (zone 2) only plays the radio. How do I set it up to play what is on TV as well? I have directv w digital music stations and my blu ray is pandora capable as well.
09:31 AM Liked: 10
post #201 of 308
03-28-2013 | Posts: 5
I have the RX-A720 and have been loving it.

I use the HDMI output to go to my TV, which is a Samsung series 6000. The TV has HDMI Control, it does not seem seem to have ARC. So, I have the optical out of the TV into the AV4 on the Yamaha receiver. On the TV I turned off the 'feature' to turn off the receiver when the TV is turned off.

However, when I turn on the receiver, the TV turns on automatically. I don't want that to happen. Does anybody know how to change this behavior?

Many Thanks!

Paul
09:38 AM Liked: 10
post #202 of 308
One more question.

It is sort of cool to use the RX-A720 as a control center, so all my HDMI inputs go into it, and then only the HDMI output of the receiver goes into the TV.

I figured it would also be cool to connect the Nintendo Wii composite video into the receiver, and then too, the receiver would be able to route that through to the TV.

However, after trying it, and then reading the fine print, it looks like the receiver requires another composite output to the TV. From a usability standpoint, this makes no sense, in that I have to select the input twice...once on the TV and then another time on the receiver.

So, question is, Why is composite video signal input to the receiver not sent through the HDMI output on the receiver?

I was able to hook up an ancient VHS VCR as input to the receiver, using the YELLOW video (RCA) output (from vcd) to the receiver, and that video signal DOES get sent to the HDMI output on the receiver and shows up on the TV, when I choose the appropriate input.

Many thanks for the insight...

BTW, overall, I'm loving this receiver!
crazythunder's Avatar crazythunder
10:22 AM Liked: 10
post #203 of 308
03-28-2013 | Posts: 38
not sure why your wii isn't displaying. my wii is hooked directly to the 720's av2 component input. the audio is connected to audio2 input. hdmi control is off for me and standby passthrough is on. all fed out to my panny via hdmi. no problems.
11:28 AM Liked: 176
post #204 of 308
03-28-2013 | Posts: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Perry View Post

So, question is, Why is composite video signal input to the receiver not sent through the HDMI output on the receiver?

I was able to hook up an ancient VHS VCR as input to the receiver, using the YELLOW video (RCA) output (from vcd) to the receiver, and that video signal DOES get sent to the HDMI output on the receiver and shows up on the TV, when I choose the appropriate input.

Did you mean component video from the Wii or composite?

If you check the video conversion table on page 114 of the A720 manual, you'll see that only 480i analog video can be converted to HDMI.

So composite video (the single yellow cable) can be converted (since it only carries 480i). Component video (three separate cables) can be converted if 480i, but if the Wii is outputting 480p over component than it can't be converted to HDMI.

For the HDMI control problem, make sure it's turned off in the A720 as well as in the TV.
11:43 AM Liked: 10
post #205 of 308
Thanks so much for your quick responses.

> Did you mean component video from the Wii or composite?

I am using the three separate cables (red, green blue) for the video out on the Wii. So I'll check the video output of the Wii and set it to 480i.

I guess since the video output of the Wii isn't that great anyway, it shouldn't matter much if I set the output to 480i, and I would find it more convenient to route the Wii through the A720.

I'll also check the setting for HDMI control on the A720 side.

Really appreciate your help. I have read through the manuals and searched the net but was unable to find solutions.
stevethebrain's Avatar stevethebrain
04:21 AM Liked: 25
post #206 of 308
04-02-2013 | Posts: 1,175
rxa720 powers up however only displays internal error.

any advice is appreciated.
STB
07:19 AM Liked: 176
post #207 of 308
04-02-2013 | Posts: 6,097
Anything more specific than "Internal error"?

First thing is unplug it from the wall and see if that resets the error (probably not likely but worth a try).

If it still gives the error with no speakers attached then it rules out a shorted speaker wire.

Then try a firmware update via USB to see what that does. You can get the firmware from Yamaha's web site (here, then click on the support tab and look in the Downloads section), and even if you already have that version you can try the update. If you can't get into the Advanced Setup menu to start the USB update, there's a special procedure that forces the update without going into the menu (see the recovery method described in the Firmware Update Error Troubleshooting document that's also in the downloads area of the website).

If none of that works I guess you need to call Yamaha and probably have it repaired.
stevethebrain's Avatar stevethebrain
07:40 AM Liked: 25
post #208 of 308
04-02-2013 | Posts: 1,175
Quote:

Anything more specific than "Internal error"?

First thing is unplug it from the wall and see if that resets the error (probably not likely but worth a try).

If it still gives the error with no speakers attached then it rules out a shorted speaker wire.

Then try a firmware update via USB to see what that does. You can get the firmware from Yamaha's web site (here, then click on the support tab and look in the Downloads section), and even if you already have that version you can try the update. If you can't get into the Advanced Setup menu to start the USB update, there's a special procedure that forces the update without going into the menu (see the recovery method described in the Firmware Update Error Troubleshooting document that's also in the downloads area of the website).

If none of that works I guess you need to call Yamaha and probably have it repaired.
OK thanks STB
Duc Boy's Avatar Duc Boy
09:39 AM Liked: 10
post #209 of 308
04-03-2013 | Posts: 1
Quote:
first time posting. Please be gentle. I just recently purchased the rx-a720. I had the hardest time putting my system together. Not because of the beautiful amp, but because of the difficulty choosing the wrong end of an HDMI cable into the tv and the amp. Apparently cables (monster cable) has a source end and a tv end. I wasn't aware of that information and how much it can mess up your day. Especially when you have spent 3hours routing the cable through your attic crawl space, drilling holes and eating fiber glass. But that's not the end of this sojourn. Previous to the monster cable I used "rocket fish" Best Buys high end cable. Same thing as mentioned above, but there are no indications which end to, so when I had no pic, I figured I had bad cable and went back to buy the monster and well you know the rest. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone and to be aware of what end to put in first before routing, drilling and feeling a sense of accomplishment then realizing your mistake. I learned the hard way.

wader2k's Avatar wader2k
10:05 AM Liked: 14
post #210 of 308
04-03-2013 | Posts: 203
Wow. I have never heard of 1 way directional HDMI cables. Is it just me?
Tags: Yamaha Rx A720 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver

Gear in this thread - A720 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread