Yamaha rx-a720 "official" owner's thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 308 Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received this in the mail yesterday! Sounds great so far but really want to hear some others experiences with it.

Pluses:
easy setup, great sound, zone 2 support, bi-amping, good ipad app, airplay

Cons:
no built in Pandora, Spotify apps, would have loved a 5.1 amazon & netflix app as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 308 Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Liked: 11
Pandora, Spotify, etc apps are coming this fall. Now, Netflix and Amazon on an AVR? Any other AVR's have this feature?
post #3 of 308 Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

Pandora, Spotify, etc apps are coming this fall. Now, Netflix and Amazon on an AVR? Any other AVR's have this feature?

Thanks great news regarding Pandora and Spotify! I haven't heard of any other avr offering video apps (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc) but it would be such a great feature if they could incorporate 5.1 audio into each app. Most TV's don't offer a 5.1 Netflix app. Even Roku doesn't offer it. Apple tv does, and you get 5.1 from your computer, but it would be great if my AVR became my streaming box as well. I don't think anyone is doing this yet, but I'm sure someone will soon!
post #4 of 308 Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM

I'm keen to pick this one up. Still waiting for it to be released here in Australia. My local said it was due this coming Tuesday so not long now.
post #5 of 308 Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to add another con.

It seems the latest line of receivers from Yamaha the rx-vxxx and rx-axxx suffer from CEC/ARC issues. Multiple people have reported the same problem of ARC not working when you have multiple HDMI Inputs. Of course you can just use the optical output/input to get audio.
post #6 of 308 Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varchar View Post

It seems the latest line of receivers from Yamaha the rx-vxxx and rx-axxx suffer from CEC/ARC issues. Multiple people have reported the same problem of ARC not working when you have multiple HDMI Inputs. Of course you can just use the optical output/input to get audio.

CRAP, that's not what I wanted to hear. I've been searching for an "official RX-V### owners" thread containing last year's RX-V371 base model, but couldn't find one, so I'll put this here for now.

I just discovered how to enable ARC and that my TV supports it. When it works, it works fine. Only problem is, quite often when I switch TV inputs from PC back to TV, the sound will cut out. I don't mean it's there then I lose it, I mean out of the blue when switching back to TV, there's no sound at all. I can re-enable it by going into HDMI>ARC and setting it to Off, then back to On, but it's annoying as hell.

The only other thing I can think of that may pertain to it is when HDMI>Control is turned to Off (which keeps ARC from working even when ARC is on), there's another HDMI option shown, Audio. The HDMI>Audio mode can be set to Amp or Amp+TV. It was having these problems in Amp+TV, so I switched it to just Amp, then Control back On, since I have my TV speakers disabled (I assume that's what they mean).

I have not tested it enough in HDMI>Audio>Amp mode to know if it will fix the problem, nor have I checked recently for firmware updates on my TV, but last I checked, including just recently for the receiver, there was none. Conversely the tech I just spoke to at Yam yesterday said the RX-A710 has an update available that fixes some minor bugs. Don't know if the 720 does.

I don't want to have to go back to using an optical audio cable like I was previously. Never had any problems with it, but the sound quality isn't quite as good and every time I changed the TV to TV input I had to also hit TV on the receiver remote, whereas ARC does both with the input switch.

If I keep having the problem I'm going to talk to an upper tier tech at Yam and see if they can enlighten me to something I may be missing. If so I'll report back here. I may be kidding myself though, because I have a feeling when HDMI>Control is On, it automatically sets up HDMI>Audio to a set parameter that can't be changed.
post #7 of 308 Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Turns out my issue was a limitation of the CEC link between my TV and receiver, but I'm told it's fairly common. I found out I can in the TV's Menu via Setup>Viera Link Settings, put Default Speakers to Home Theater and always get ARC, but then the TV wants to tun on and off the receiver when it's turned on and off.

This is not ideal for me since I often turn on just the TV and PC and surf the net with no sound. My workaround is to leave the Default Speakers set to TV in the Viera Link Settings of the main menu, and once a day at the time I start watching TV, access the quick Viera Link Control settings via the Viera Link button on the remote and set Speaker Output to Home Theater.

This way instead of the receiver turning on and off with the TV, the TV's Speaker Output setting in Viera Link Control reverts to TV when the TV or receiver are turned off. I find that to be more acceptable because it's quick to do and I only have to set it back to Home Theater speakers once a day, and it avoids having the receiver on all the time when it doesn't need to be, or switching on then having to switch it off.
post #8 of 308 Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Did any of you have problems with your units decoding Dolby Digital 2.0 DD2_Decoding_Problem.doc 3074k .doc file ? I worked with Yamaha tech support for over an hour on the phone and we concluded that my unit could not decode these (see attached). I ended up returning the unit to Magnolia and was not convinced that this issue wasn't a limitation of the model or just a problem with my unit.
Attached Files
File Type: doc DD2_Decoding_Problem.doc (3.00 MB, 83 views)
post #9 of 308 Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by varchar View Post

After much trial and error, I only experience this issue if I have a mini display -> HDMI adapter connected. Regulare HDMI cables do not create this issue.
post #10 of 308 Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Arc woks fine on my AVR with DVD on HDMI 1 and SATELLITE STB on HDMI 4. HDMI out to Samsung TV. No issues to report at all with this AVR. Sound is excellent as well. Really pleased so far with this unit. Have enjoyed this for two weeks now.
post #11 of 308 Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Anyone know what the date of the firmware update will be?
post #12 of 308 Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a setting to enable 3.1, even if you have a full 5.1 setup? When listening to music, or some stereo video, I prefer 3.1 over a dsp mode that uses the surround speakers. Is it possible to force the output to 3.1?
post #13 of 308 Old 09-23-2012, 02:55 PM

Hi, been a while since I posted here, but I need a new receiver. I will be moving and older Yamaha to a vacation house and want to replace it with another since I need an Amp that allows 4ohm speakers. I have verified this puppy works as did the old Yamaha.

All looks good to me, but wonder about the channels on internet radio. I heard they were pretty lame. Are they OK? My wife needs KQED and she also listens to classical stations from Europe. Any owners know about this???

Thanks in advance.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Looks like I answered my own question:

http://yradio.vtuner.com/setupapp/yamaha/asp/BrowseStations/StartPage.asp

My old RX3800 had the right Mac address to get in for this. Stations are there.

Cheers
post #14 of 308 Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRSQUARED View Post

Did any of you have problems with your units decoding Dolby Digital 2.0 DD2_Decoding_Problem.doc 3074k .doc file ? I worked with Yamaha tech support for over an hour on the phone and we concluded that my unit could not decode these (see attached). I ended up returning the unit to Magnolia and was not convinced that this issue wasn't a limitation of the model or just a problem with my unit.

Finding I might have similar issue
Dolby and or DTS not getting decoded on ps3 or Xbox 360
Getting 2.1 PCM ....?!!
post #15 of 308 Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Revision

XBOX and Direct Tv does decode

PS3 showing PCM on readout.. at least for games.. gottac check a BluRay tonight.

confused......
post #16 of 308 Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Hi, went out and bought the unit and rather happy with it. Have two questions:

1. It does not seem to see my Windows Media servers. They are on the same network: Yamaha IP 192.168.1.6 and server 192.168.1.3... I had problems also with my RX-3800. Anyone got this to work????

2. On internet radio I know it uses vYunes. I have the favorites from my old Yamaha on there. Can I change the setting so it see the new Rx-a720? Maybe just need to regegister?

Thanks
post #17 of 308 Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM

To clarify
Brand new model ps3
Brand new Yamaha A720
New hdmi cables
Set to bitstream
All output options checked
Then
All GAMES without an audio selection (like uncharted 3 with DTS 5.1)
Showing PCM on Yamaha with all speakers lit 7.1 in all(Lego pirates/batman2, mass effect 3
Etc)
DVD with DD 5.1 shows DD 5.1
Blu ray with DTS ma HD shows DTS ma HD
Vs
Xbox 360 always shows DD 5.1
And Direct TV shows DD 5.1 for those feeds etc
Soooo what's happening with the games on ps 3??
That multi channel PCM its showing is the bitstream raw data coming through as...
What?
Doesn't it need to be matrixed or am I just dumb?
post #18 of 308 Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagecounsel View Post

To clarify
Brand new model ps3
Brand new Yamaha A720
New hdmi cables
Set to bitstream
All output options checked
Then
All GAMES without an audio selection (like uncharted 3 with DTS 5.1)
Showing PCM on Yamaha with all speakers lit 7.1 in all(Lego pirates/batman2, mass effect 3
Etc)
DVD with DD 5.1 shows DD 5.1
Blu ray with DTS ma HD shows DTS ma HD
Vs
Xbox 360 always shows DD 5.1
And Direct TV shows DD 5.1 for those feeds etc
Soooo what's happening with the games on ps 3??
That multi channel PCM its showing is the bitstream raw data coming through as...
What?
Doesn't it need to be matrixed or am I just dumb?

I just got the same receiver, but it is not connected to my PS3. I have mine connected to a SONY receiver... but even then I recall there are a series of audio controls within the PS3 that make all of this very complex. If you want, I can look at my set-up.

Just for the heck of it I checked and my Music output is set to 48kHz. This is the middle rate. I think there are implications for what this rate is set to.... best I can do.

Have you been able to stream music to the A720 from a Windows Media Server? I had an RX 3800 at it was at best intermittant. I cannot get my A720 to see any of my servers... all with the same prefixes as IP#s.
post #19 of 308 Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
soon-to-be proud owner of RX-A720.

Electronics Expo offered me A720 instead of V671.

I was hesitant, but accepted biggrin.gif

$389 shipped, not too bad I guess.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #20 of 308 Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

soon-to-be proud owner of RX-A720.
Electronics Expo offered me A720 instead of V671.
I was hesitant, but accepted biggrin.gif
$389 shipped, not too bad I guess.

not bad at all, thats hundreds off the regular price! the usual price is over $600
post #21 of 308 Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a site where I can download the manual? I googled, but was unable to find one, "Quick guide" only.

post #22 of 308 Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Try this:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a720_black_u/?mode=model

If you don't have a Yamaha account you will be asked to create it. Then you can download Quick Guide and Manual.
post #23 of 308 Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

Try this:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a720_black_u/?mode=model
If you don't have a Yamaha account you will be asked to create it. Then you can download Quick Guide and Manual.

Thank you Sir!

post #24 of 308 Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Hello to All

I'm new to the forum and wanted feedback on my new purchase. Just picked up the Yamaha RX-A720 with the Mirage Nanosat speakers. I'm using this as an initial setup with the intention of replacing the 3 fronts with 3 B&W M1's. I did consider the Denon AVR 2313 but I picked up the Yamaha for $524 and the Mirage's for $299.

Thoughts please?
post #25 of 308 Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Galileo2000, Did you receive your $389 Yamaha RX-A720 from Electronics Expo yet?

I'm curious to know if it was an open-box item or used. They quoted me $480 but I'm told from an A/V dealer that the dealers pay $500 and Amazon gets 10% for their portion. So anything sold for less would likely be used.

It makes me leary of ordering from them so I'm curious how your receiver came packaged...was it an unopened/sealed in the original Yamaha box?
post #26 of 308 Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 PM

Ctrav, I too am deciding between the Yamaha RX-A720 and the Denon 2313CI. Besides price, was there anything else that affected your decision?

The specs look better on paper for the Denon but then I hear they have some quality control issues in recent years. Meanwhile, I see that Yamaha has experienced "handshake" problems with the HDMI connectors.

Hard to make a decision.
post #27 of 308 Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztechie View Post

Galileo2000, Did you receive your $389 Yamaha RX-A720 from Electronics Expo yet?
I'm curious to know if it was an open-box item or used. They quoted me $480 but I'm told from an A/V dealer that the dealers pay $500 and Amazon gets 10% for their portion. So anything sold for less would likely be used.
It makes me leary of ordering from them so I'm curious how your receiver came packaged...was it an unopened/sealed in the original Yamaha box?

Not yet. Next week. We'll see.

I don't think your A/V dealer is telling you the truth, though. Someone here just got their for $529 shipped. Shipment alone should have been over $29. So whoever sold it to him must be in business for loss, if they paid $500.

post #28 of 308 Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Aztechie - I owned a yamaha receiver years ago and really just wanted to give them another try. I demoed the A72 and the 2313 in several audio stores and felt the A720 sounded better. It was a close call but the Yamaha was the heavier of the two so I picked it. This Yamaha is replacing an older Denon that still works good. Denon had excellent customer support and that made it hard for me to switch so if this yamaha or there support fails me in the next sixty days i will not hesitate to go back to Denon.

I just finished my initial setup this morning and I must say I am very happy so far. No issues with HDMI and the iPad App is way cool.........
post #29 of 308 Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, mine is finally here.

Looks and smells like new, but what do I know?

Funny thing is, my router identified it as RX-V673.

Ran quick setup for the speakers.

First impressions:

Compact, good-looking.

Very clean sound.

I like it more than Onkyo.

Watching Blue Planet HDDVD.

post #30 of 308 Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have Android device, download and install free Yamaha AV controller app from the Google Play.

It is extremely cute and convenient.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A720 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page