Anthem Amplifier Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hey guys,

I have decided I want to slowly save up for an Anthem AVM50v so in the meantime I am looking for good deals on 5-channel Anthem amplifiers. I recently found a great deal ($700) on an Anthem PVA 5, but the model year is 2005. In terms of amplifiers, are there major changes or is a PVA 5 from 2005 the same as a PVA 5 purchased today?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The only change was the LED model and colour, from red/green to red/blue. It is not interchangeable due to different dimension and voltage. Also keep black vs silver faceplate in mind - the current price of aluminum makes swapping faceplates too expensive to even consider. Silver is discontinued due to demand having shifted away from it.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

So the specs on your website for the current PVA 5 are the same specs as the PVA 5 from 2005 that I am looking at (besides the LED)?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, other than the LED it's all the same. The LED was changed to match the AVM 20-to-30 LED and display colour changes.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

The question I was replying to disappeared but here's the response anyway:

The only way to know whether an amp is big enough for the job is by knowing if it has ever reached clipping or is bound to. If the MRX is getting along fine, the PVA will have no problem.

Some may interpret the following as an attempt to hustle, but I wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't do in my own system in the same situation and the last thing I want to see is anyone make an unnecessary purchase. It's just advice based on having directly compared 5.1 to 7.1. If there is at least 6 feet of space behind the listening area you may want to consider 7.1. Note that the PVA 7 is physically deeper than the PVA 5, and a 2-channel amp can be added later if you start with 5-channel but the result will probably be more expensive and a second amp needs another shelf on the equipment stand.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I deleted my post because I decided to buy a used Statement A5 amplifier off of Audiogon for the same price of a new PVA 5. Might not need the extra power, but for the price I couldn't resist. Appreciate the honest response from you though.

I did send you a PM regarding using the Statement A5 with my MRX 700 until I do purchase an AVM50v in a few months. Much appreciation if you reply.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

I deleted my post because I decided to buy a used Statement A5 amplifier off of Audiogon for the same price of a new PVA 5. Might not need the extra power, but for the price I couldn't resist. Appreciate the honest response from you though.
I did send you a PM regarding using the Statement A5 with my MRX 700 until I do purchase an AVM50v in a few months. Much appreciation if you reply.
Thanks again!

I have that exact combo of the AVM50v and the Statement A5. You will love it. Congrats on the new purchase.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers - BLUESOUND Node
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page