Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 877 Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Yes. I know all of that... But none of it explains why it can't be updated over the Internet and why it couldn't connect to Pandora servers on the original firmware. Nowhere on that does it say a Pandora update broke the compatibility on the original firmware. I've had this receiver since shortly after they came out and I updated it when the patch was released.

Maybe the receiver Cannot prices an md5 correctly. Or maybe there is not enough space in the NV to write. Or maybe they wanted it downloaded as to buy have any hangups. There are a million reasons.

In regards to Pandora, the service would not work due to a change on Pandora's end. The firmware fixed it.

All that being said, on the end they fixed a problem and added a new feature (HTC connect). I don't rely see why you are trying to do this down further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 877 Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently picked up an SC-63, but am having some HDMI problems. I have a Tivo Premiere and an older Samsung Blu-ray player I am using as sources, output going to an older Samsung LCD, all HDMI connections. Everything works fine, until i shut they system down. Once I try to turn everything back on, the receiver sees no HDMI signals on either the Blu-ray or the Tivo until i unplug the receiver power, and plug back in, and turn back on. Then it works great until i shut everything back down again. I am running HDMI 1.4 cables. Any ideas?
post #543 of 877 Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

Maybe the receiver Cannot prices an md5 correctly. Or maybe there is not enough space in the NV to write. Or maybe they wanted it downloaded as to buy have any hangups. There are a million reasons.

In regards to Pandora, the service would not work due to a change on Pandora's end. The firmware fixed it.

All that being said, on the end they fixed a problem and added a new feature (HTC connect). I don't rely see why you are trying to do this down further.

I can't understand a lot of what you said due to typos or autocorrects but I can't fathom there being any valid reasons for not having internet updateable firmware. Sure there are challenges to anything, that's what engineering is for. Without divulging too much, I do this for a living all day long in a related but different field, and being that you know what nvram is you probably do as well. I don't know what you mean by "why I'm trying to do this down further", the process to upgrade firmware is sub par and needs to be improved in future hardware, along with better GUI's and OSD.

Outside of that, I feel that Pioneer hit a home run with these units. The D3 amp section is amazing at this price point, they run cool and seems like it will last as long as needed (until codecs are severely outdated, and/or some other obsolescence is reached). I'd recommend them to anyone, but I won't say the firmware upgrade process is great. wink.gif

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #544 of 877 Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I can't understand a lot of what you said due to typos or autocorrects but I can't fathom there being any valid reasons for not having internet updateable firmware. Sure there are challenges to anything, that's what engineering is for. Without divulging too much, I do this for a living all day long in a related but different field, and being that you know what nvram is you probably do as well. I don't know what you mean by "why I'm trying to do this down further", the process to upgrade firmware is sub par and needs to be improved in future hardware, along with better GUI's and OSD.

Outside of that, I feel that Pioneer hit a home run with these units. The D3 amp section is amazing at this price point, they run cool and seems like it will last as long as needed (until codecs are severely outdated, and/or some other obsolescence is reached). I'd recommend them to anyone, but I won't say the firmware upgrade process is great. wink.gif

I agree the D3 amps are awesome.

Sorry for the typos.smile.gif. By if you really want something to get mad about try emailing the developer for the official app. No email address listed just a support site with no contact info. Another one is why they cannot just keep the app updated and customized based on the unit detected.

In other words I was trying to ask why you were trying to still so deep into the issue. I chalked it up to stupidity and bad mgmt on their part a long time ago. smile.gif

I just enjoy it and I do agree that it should have been possible to do since most people would not look on the internet for such info. At least a warning to say "hey visit us at...."
post #545 of 877 Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

I agree the D3 amps are awesome.

Sorry for the typos.smile.gif. By if you really want something to get mad about try emailing the developer for the official app. No email address listed just a support site with no contact info. Another one is why they cannot just keep the app updated and customized based on the unit detected.

In other words I was trying to ask why you were trying to still so deep into the issue. I chalked it up to stupidity and bad mgmt on their part a long time ago. smile.gif

I just enjoy it and I do agree that it should have been possible to do since most people would not look on the internet for such info. At least a warning to say "hey visit us at...."

Oh yeah, I chalked it up like that a long time ago too. The only reason I brought it back up was because a user had just reported that he had to update to get Pandora to work which brought back bad memories for me.

The App is pretty terrible, it's ok for a few functions but doesn't have a tablet specific app and it's laid out like a child designed it. I haven't even tried to complain about it because I know they won't fix the 2012 app, I agree they should make it so users apps keep getting updated regardless of year and new features and improvements are implemented that if the unit doesn't support the feature it can be automatically removed.

The entire thing leaves a bit to be desired but hopefully they will get there.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #546 of 877 Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, I chalked it up like that a long time ago too. The only reason I brought it back up was because a user had just reported that he had to update to get Pandora to work which brought back bad memories for me.

The App is pretty terrible, it's ok for a few functions but doesn't have a tablet specific app and it's laid out like a child designed it. I haven't even tried to complain about it because I know they won't fix the 2012 app, I agree they should make it so users apps keep getting updated regardless of year and new features and improvements are implemented that if the unit doesn't support the feature it can be automatically removed.

The entire thing leaves a bit to be desired but hopefully they will get there.

I had to call/email them several times to get them to fix the scrolling refresh on android 4.2.x my wife's phone was fine on 4.1 and mine would not scroll without jumping back to the top. Then I got 4.3 and she got 4.2 and symptoms reversed. Luckily they update the app.

Lately though I have be using either bubble upnp or their new app to stream giggle music. Both sous control the receiver volume as well as song meta data on the display. I also grabbed the other paid app on the market cause it makes it a bit easier for sound mode changes and you can get into main menu.

One day thing will work awesome.... Till then....
post #547 of 877 Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgodbold View Post

I recently picked up an SC-63, but am having some HDMI problems. I have a Tivo Premiere and an older Samsung Blu-ray player I am using as sources, output going to an older Samsung LCD, all HDMI connections. Everything works fine, until i shut they system down. Once I try to turn everything back on, the receiver sees no HDMI signals on either the Blu-ray or the Tivo until i unplug the receiver power, and plug back in, and turn back on. Then it works great until i shut everything back down again. I am running HDMI 1.4 cables. Any ideas?

Some more information if anybody is listening. I did a factory reset and "cured" the problem. I enabled "network standby" so I could wake up the receiver through the phone application, and the problem came back. Disabled Network standby, problem goes away. The only thing I can think of is that the HDMI cables I am using are designed to be able to pass Ethernet as well. Not sure why that would cause issues, none of my other devices can receive Ethernet through HDMI.
kklarson likes this.
post #548 of 877 Old 08-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
Hello AVS,

Had a Harmon Kardon AVR 2600 for about 2-3 years, and it decided to take a dive on me last week. Warranty was long gone, and didn't want to spend the time/cash on attempting to fix (bad HDMI board). We were redoing our floors anyway so the entertainment stand and wiring was all undone, so gave me more motivation to go ahead and get something new smile.gif

Did my homework and was sold on an the Pioneer VSX70 (I believe), because it had the features I was looking for, around the $700 price point I felt comfortable with. Have had a pioneer head unit in my Subaru for 10 years now and hasn't had a hitch. Went to Best Buy to go pick it up, and they had a display model SC61 for under $400. They couldn't find the remote (not a problem have a Harmony One) and the mic to calibrate, so they knocked an extra 10% off the already discounted price. Confirmed that I would still receive the Elite 2 year warranty, and they also discounted the 4 year "warranty plan" (I usually hate these, but with the Harmon Kardon going out after a few years, the wife wanted to spend the $30 bucks) and did a quick search on here and google for specs/reviews while they were scrambling to try to find the accessories and decided to pull the plug. After unit, warranty and tax was still under $400.

Got it all set up and am LOVING it. The airplay feature is great, and popped in "Dark Knight Rises" and I would have sworn I heard an entire different movie.

I have looked through here, and have found some assistance, but was hoping someone could help with one particular feature. The HK 2600 had the "Dolby Volume" feature where it basically keeps similar audio levels between inputs and different audio formats. I have turned the "ALC" feature on, but still see significant spikes in audio when changing from a stereo based cable input, to a DD source, to a DTS-HD, etc. The feature is great for at night because we have a toddler, and really don't want things blaring if decide to switch from a football game to a BD disc.

It could also be because the system is fully calibrated as the HK was. Looking through CL and eBay trying to find a replacement mic to go ahead and completely set it up properly. I have found through looking through here and google a "midnight mode", but I don't know if that feature is included in this unit. I have also played around with the "vocal EQ", but still can't find the right mix.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Still trying to go through the entire manual, but might have to take a week off work to be able to find a time to read it all smile.gif
post #549 of 877 Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 14
Has anyone here synced their HTC One to the their receiver via the supposedly seamless HTC Connect feature? I just got the newest HTC One from Verizon and I can't figure out how to make this work. I have the SC-61 and it has the latest firmware update via USB.

thanks.
post #550 of 877 Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OK, I am swallowing my pride. Would anyone be willing to send me their stick with the firmware upgrade? I have tried everything. PM me if you are willing to help. Thanks

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #551 of 877 Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 23
Have you tried a different thumb drive? I continued to have trouble until I tried a different one. Worked first time after that
post #552 of 877 Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes. I have probably tried 5 different brands/sizes.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #553 of 877 Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 240
8 GB PNY attache successfully used for all updates with the SC-68

before you try a 6th brand wink.gif make sure you delete ALL files from the drive, do a complete re-format as FAT32, and don't leave the zip you downloaded from Pioneer on the drive. unzip the files to the root (not in a directory) and delete the zip. if you have already done every one of these steps, then you'll need to try another stick smile.gif

Steve
post #554 of 877 Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Also make sure you use a drive that doesn't have any software on it. I picked up some Lexar brand 8GB from Target yesterday for almost $12 and it worked great but the Sandisk one I already had wouldn't work..and that had it's own software on it.
post #555 of 877 Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post

Has anyone here synced their HTC One to the their receiver via the supposedly seamless HTC Connect feature? I just got the newest HTC One from Verizon and I can't figure out how to make this work. I have the SC-61 and it has the latest firmware update via USB.

thanks.

Hello All,

Just an update that I figured this out. It's exactly as you see in the video link that I provided below. I originally thought that when my phone was doing this that it was just using basic DLNA and that maybe every smartphone could do this. I hadn't upgraded my phone in ages so I didn't know. Anyways the feature is sick and couldn't be any easier. For anything that's playing on my phone (picture,music,video) I just simply hit the menu and it shows both my TV and the A/V receiver as wifi options to stream to. Simple pimple. This is good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCLT3v0Pu0
post #556 of 877 Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
What is the SC-61 rated watts per channel at 20hZ-20khZ? Instead of 125 watts per channel at 1 khz.

post #557 of 877 Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^ huh? confused.gif
what are you are asking?

Steve
post #558 of 877 Old 08-30-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
the SC-61 is shown to be rated 125 watts per channel only at 1khz instead of 20-20khz.

Whereas the Pioneer VSX-70 is rated 90 watts per channel at 8ohms at 20-20khz.

post #559 of 877 Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
In watching Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc...only the L and R speakers are showing in the display. When I press Surround it does go to 5.1 and I hear different things in each speaker. The movies I'm watching say they are 5.1

Is there a setting I'm missing?
post #560 of 877 Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgodbold View Post

Some more information if anybody is listening. I did a factory reset and "cured" the problem. I enabled "network standby" so I could wake up the receiver through the phone application, and the problem came back. Disabled Network standby, problem goes away. The only thing I can think of is that the HDMI cables I am using are designed to be able to pass Ethernet as well. Not sure why that would cause issues, none of my other devices can receive Ethernet through HDMI.

Thanks very much for posting this! I thought I was going to have to return my SC-1222, but the HDMI output has been working consistently for 4 days now after doing the factory reset and changing nothing else since.
post #561 of 877 Old 09-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Just hooked up my sc-63. Got it on clearance at Best Buy for $650. Sad to see no OSD overlay to source material. This may be a deal breaker for me making me switch to Denon x4000. Anyway to adjust channel levels (ie subwoofer) without having to go into Home Menu? Any way to set size of subwoofer? I have an svs 2x12" and when channel level to sub is at near plus 10 not really getting much bass. What is difference between setting sub to "Yes" and "Plus". Have not run MCACC. Have only manually set distances and channel levels as I am replacing an old HK AVR 635 with an already setup 5.1 system. Using Klipsch RB 25 series speakers and uverse and PS3 connected via HDMI and HDMI from receiver to Pioneer Elite plasma. Thanks!!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #562 of 877 Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

You can push the 6 key to cycle through channels and change the volume level independently. I don't have the lack of bass issue, you need to use plus if you are running your mains full range in order to also send LFE to the subs. I'd recommend running your mains as small though.

post #563 of 877 Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Thank you but my receiver is in a closed cabinet. Pushing 6 gives me exactly what I want but on the television screen. Is this possible? If not very disappointing for a $1300 receiver. My 8 year old HK has some on screen display. Thanks!

post #564 of 877 Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

There is no OSD with this receiver unfortunately, I know it's a big letdown on a 2013 model year mid-end receiver.

post #565 of 877 Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Yes. Huge disappointment. I am willing to pay more for a 2013 model that does. I am growing very fond,of the ipad app. Any ideas if the sc-71 or sc-72 have osd and same power as sc-63? I do like the sound of this receiver and have yet to do MCACC.

post #566 of 877 Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM

I think I may be able to live without the OSD because I really like the way it sounds (most important thing). Is there a way to adjust the Channel levels in the Home Menu without having the receiving increase the volume to reference level (0.0)? I know I can use button 6 to adjust the channel levels at the receiver itself, but would at least like to be able to adjust the channel level via the home menu without having the receiver increase master volume to such a high level. Thoughts/suggestions? The reason I would like to do this is so I could perhaps adjust the surround channels, sub or center channel during a movie. I don't mind pausing a movie to get into home menu and adjust channel level on the screen but each time I attempt this it does the count down and increases master volume to 0 and only THEN will allow me to adjust the channel levels. Thanks!

post #567 of 877 Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Nobody??

post #568 of 877 Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 AM

Channel level button I believe. Left or right to increase/decrease and up or down to change speakers. I'm not looking at my remote, but I think that'll do it.
post #569 of 877 Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

Channel level button I believe. Left or right to increase/decrease and up or down to change speakers. I'm not looking at my remote, but I think that'll do it.

wow, you are absolutely correct. I've never used that button so totally forgot about it being there redface.gif when it comes to levels & balance, I'm of the philosophy that once it's set, no need to keep changing it.

that solves one of the poster's complaints with his Pioneer. no reference level volume, I just tried it out on the SC-68 so he can do exactly what he wanted.

good job. as much as I know about these receivers, I should have caught this one. especially before I responded in the other Pioneer thread.

my apologies to MCF34.

Steve
post #570 of 877 Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Glad to help!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page