Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 884 Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 234

newegg is an authorized reseller, as is Amazon:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Where-To-Buy/Pioneer+Home+Audio+Video+Authorized+Internet+Dealers?appInstanceName=default

Can't answer the other, since I don't have one. Yet.

;)

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 884 Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, from that same link, I thought this was interesting:

*Pioneer does NOT authorize any dealers to sell Elite-branded products on the Internet (only in-store sales are permitted). Therefore, any Elite-branded product purchased on the Internet is NOT authorized, which means that it does NOT carry the manufacturer's limited warranty and does not qualify for any manufacturer's rebate.

post #603 of 884 Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah doesn't. Sound good. I will call pioneer tomorrow. Wonder if. Best buy would price match...

post #604 of 884 Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
About to try to hook up ZONE2.. Anyone use it? I was wondering.... can the SC-61 use more than 1 source at a time? ie: Can i listen to music on on Apple TV in 1 room while a movie or tv is playing in the other? (obviously on different sources).

Does anyone like or use the ZONE2?

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #605 of 884 Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Actually, from that same link, I thought this was interesting:

*Pioneer does NOT authorize any dealers to sell Elite-branded products on the Internet (only in-store sales are permitted). Therefore, any Elite-branded product purchased on the Internet is NOT authorized, which means that it does NOT carry the manufacturer's limited warranty and does not qualify for any manufacturer's rebate.

Confirmed via phone to Pioneer support, Elite products purchased online have NO Pioneer warranty coverage.

:(

post #606 of 884 Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
any idea if the 63 can do 4K passthru ?
post #607 of 884 Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
^ yes
bulls likes this.

Steve
post #608 of 884 Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R we sure the 63 does 4k paathru?

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #609 of 884 Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

hmm

re-checked and I was thinking of the SC-65. the SC-63 does not have 4K pass-thru. sorry...

Steve
post #610 of 884 Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 10
Picked up an "open box" SC-63 from Best Buy a few nights ago. Unit was in perfect condition with all cables, accessories, etc. After talking them into a deeper discount off of their stickered "open box" price, I bought it for $550.

I'm running 7.1 with 7 Polk speakers (5ch RM85 Satellite Speakers + 2 Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Speakers) and a Yamaha powered sub.

Didn't connect it to my network, didn't run the setup disc, didn't update the firmware because I don't have use for the HTC or Pandora features. I only had to run the automated setup using the mic.

What I want is the additional dongle for BT capabilities. That should suit my needs perfectly with streaming from both my S4 and my wife's 4S.

I'm not running any hdmi passthrough. I have my cable box and ps3 running directly to my TV via hdmi. The TV runs an optical audio connection to the receiver for cable, and I'm using the 2nd optical input for my PS3, so audio is output directly to the receiver and video is output directly to the TV.

All I can say so far is that this setup + PS3 + Battlefield 3 + Receiver output at DTS + In-game audio set to "wartapes" = eek.gif mind-blowing auditory orgasms!!!!! eek.gif
post #611 of 884 Old 10-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post

Picked up an "open box" SC-63 from Best Buy a few nights ago. Unit was in perfect condition with all cables, accessories, etc. After talking them into a deeper discount off of their stickered "open box" price, I bought it for $550.

I'm running 7.1 with 7 Polk speakers (5ch RM85 Satellite Speakers + 2 Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Speakers) and a Yamaha powered sub.

Didn't connect it to my network, didn't run the setup disc, didn't update the firmware because I don't have use for the HTC or Pandora features. I only had to run the automated setup using the mic.

What I want is the additional dongle for BT capabilities. That should suit my needs perfectly with streaming from both my S4 and my wife's 4S.

I'm not running any hdmi passthrough. I have my cable box and ps3 running directly to my TV via hdmi. The TV runs an optical audio connection to the receiver for cable, and I'm using the 2nd optical input for my PS3, so audio is output directly to the receiver and video is output directly to the TV.

All I can say so far is that this setup + PS3 + Battlefield 3 + Receiver output at DTS + In-game audio set to "wartapes" = eek.gif mind-blowing auditory orgasms!!!!! eek.gif

You can't pass lossless audio like DTS-MASTER or TRUE HD through optical. Plug everything in HDMI rather than the rats nest you're creating for no reason. Trust me, you're not doing anything slick by running optical cables besides downgrading yourself to standard surround sound with blurays rather than lossless.
post #612 of 884 Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

which would you keep- a sc63 or a vsx70 ?
post #613 of 884 Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

You can't pass lossless audio like DTS-MASTER or TRUE HD through optical. Plug everything in HDMI rather than the rats nest you're creating for no reason. Trust me, you're not doing anything slick by running optical cables besides downgrading yourself to standard surround sound with blurays rather than lossless.

I'll be running hdmi soon. I swore I had a spare to run from the receiver to my tv but haven't had luck finding it. Most of the ps3 games I play run either DD or DTS in 5.1 and optical is fine for me for now. It's still a big step up from the ancient Yamaha unit I was running.

Also, I keep reading conflicting info on bitstream vs pcm. Anyone have a preference on this if running via hdmi? I assume the 2ch optical limitations makes it a moot issue currently but how about when I go to hdmi?
post #614 of 884 Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

Id keep the sc63. They share much of the same features but no D3 amp for the vsx70... that'd be the deciding factor for me. The 4k upscaling is a cool feature but it isn't of much use unless you've got or plan to soon get a 4k tv.
post #615 of 884 Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

The 63 will have a little more power but the 70 has an extra HDMI output.

post #616 of 884 Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
guess you don't need to use the pre-outs for external amps with all that power..Nice amp..

post #617 of 884 Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Help w setup... a 63
did the full auto, and only thing i changed after was surround chan levels to make it even to my ear in my spot...
however, Dialog @ center is low with movies...even after i did up the center levels +1 and L/R +.5
but watching a stereo video on the same mode "Expanded Theater" the stereo will sound better for dialog @ center unlike 5.1 or 7.1 sources... i dont know if i should up the center levels more as its already somewhat directional but still ...dull ... i have to turn up the volume which would not be good especially at night lol
post #618 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Help w setup... a 63
did the full auto, and only thing i changed after was surround chan levels to make it even to my ear in my spot...
however, Dialog @ center is low with movies...even after i did up the center levels +1 and L/R +.5
but watching a stereo video on the same mode "Expanded Theater" the stereo will sound better for dialog @ center unlike 5.1 or 7.1 sources... i dont know if i should up the center levels more as its already somewhat directional but still ...dull ... i have to turn up the volume which would not be good especially at night lol

I think the Full Auto works great, but I use it as a guide... I always had to make adjustments. Mine always sets my Monitor Audio GX50 Bookshelf speakers as Large. I always adjust the equalizers on theF-R/L speakers too. You should change the levels to how YOU see fit, and how YOU want it to sound.

MY GEAR:

post #619 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

i went thru the menu last night but couldnt find where to adjust EQ for each chan
post #620 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
try reading pg 79 in your manual...it's pretty clear.

Steve
post #621 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:

i went thru the menu last night but couldnt find where to adjust EQ for each chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
try reading pg 79 in your manual...it's pretty clear.

MY GEAR:

post #622 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
yup, that's it.

but I was trying to gently persuade the poster to see if he can find it himself...it is his receiver and a manual does come with it on the supplied disc.

we can either spoon-feed answers every time someone doesn't bother to check the manual but then they never have to take initiative to learn anything.

the vast majority of basic configuration issues can be solved if people bothered to read & look at the diagrams wink.gif

Steve
post #623 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 PM

Don't see this as an issue...any 4K media can be sent straight from source to set via HDMI and audio from source to reciever via HDMI or optical. Am I missing anything?

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #624 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

There's two ways to go - either plug the cable box (and everything else) into the receiver and eliminate the optical cable -or- plug the cable box into the TV. (Obviously plug the BD player into the receiver). When you want TV audio via the receiver, you'll get it automatically via the ARC (audio return channel) of the HDMI cable that connects the receiver to the TV. The whole point of that was to eliminate the extra cable. If you turn on HDMI control, you can even have the TV turn the receiver on automatically and it will auto switch to the correct input. One note: you can't have anything else plugged into the TV input. If you do, ARC won't work.
post #625 of 884 Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Alright weird, redid the full auto and dialog is more better than before... Ofcourse after some mild level adjusts. Found the EQ, thx

What settings do you use for music? (Movies are awesome) Specifically there's lack of bass even after EQ, mode is on extended stereo.
post #626 of 884 Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Don't see this as an issue...any 4K media can be sent straight from source to set via HDMI and audio from source to reciever via HDMI or optical. Am I missing anything?

you have it right smile.gif
just need a player with dual HDMI outs.

Steve
post #627 of 884 Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright weird, redid the full auto and dialog is more better than before... Ofcourse after some mild level adjusts. Found the EQ, thx

What settings do you use for music? (Movies are awesome) Specifically there's lack of bass even after EQ, mode is on extended stereo.

may I ask - why are you using extended stereo? edit - misunderstood one of your sentences so I deleted my reference to it smile.gif

all extended stereo is doing is spraying stereo around the room from all 7 (or 5 or 9) speakers, and is not a surround mode for movie tracks. typically people use if for a group or party mode where you're trying to spread music around the room so all can hear the "same" thing, which is not really true anyway wink.gif expanded theater adds reverb as well.

it's probably one of the worst modes you can use for music listening. try Dolby PLIIx Music or Neo X Music for enhancing stereo music into enveloping surround that is truly derived from taking phase cues and phase differences in a 2 ch music to steer certain parts of the sound to the sides and rears.

for movies, for best results, you "should be" either listening in Direct if you want to hear exactly the number of channels in the track (5.1 stays 5.1) or if you want 7 or 9 channels, then add Dolby ProLogic IIx, IIz, DTS Neo X Cinema, or if you prefer THX processing, try THX Cinema. THX has certain ways of processing the sound and there are reasons for them but some like the effect, some don't. I happen to be one that doesn't like the effect of adding THX processing in my room, with my speakers.

your use of Extended Stereo could also be contributing to your perceived lack of bass. how? by replicating 2 channels into 5,7 or 9 speakers, depending on your bass management crossover setting, certain bass frequencies not being sent to your subwoofer could be bouncing around the room from all the speakers and cancelling out at specific freq's at your listening position. it's how room acoustics work and if you want to improve your sound, it might help to do a little reading about the subject smile.gif. Room dimensions and where you sit have a HUGE impact on bass response and they are the predominant factors in how much or how little bass there is, across the bass freq spectrum.

here's some basic good info on room acoustics from 2 room treatment suppliers but there are many many others:
http://gikacoustics.com/articles/
http://realtraps.com/info.htm

plus did you run the full MCACC, so you got Phase Control group delay and Standing Wave Filter settings? plus, are they turned on in the menu?

plus, are you sitting in a couch or chair against the rear wall, like a traditional living room? wink.gif if yes, then that is one of the worst places for accurate bass response and doing your MCACC measurements. why on the measurements?

1. if your listening position and the mic is located near the rear wall, the sound from front, center, side surrounds is being reflected right off rear wall, hitting the mic from behind and making the processor think the freg is louder than it really is. so, if 63, 125 and even 250 Hz bands are being perceived as "high" in amplitude, MCACC will give that freq a cut to make it fit a target response. your ears, though, are hearing the real response, and if it was cut a bit, then you just might hear less of that freq than what's really in the recording. the rear wall is a place where some bass freq's are at their peak so the measurements might be reducing them to compensate.

2. mic positioning is very important to the EQ. aim the mic directly at the ceiling, not tilted forward or backwards, preferably sitting on a tripod or mic stand placed where you sit. do not put the mic in the seat itself which would 1) block the sound from some of the speakers and 2) also have reflections off the seat back. without a tripod, stack of boxes, books, phone books wink.gif or something to get the mic at ear level, you are not getting a true calibration. without a tripod, etc you could place the mic on the seat back, at least it's at close to ear level and hope for the best if your seat is against the wall.

there is a whole lot more to this than meets the eye, even reading the manual doesn't really give you all the tips, information needed to get optimum bass response smile.gif

but using Extended Stereo, thinking it's a EQ mode, to compensate for bass is not in your best interest. better to get it "right" as you can with what you have and use the proper surround modes for movies & derived surround for music.

many consider nearly all the so-called Advanced Surround modes in receivers as junk and they can actually degrade your sound, not enhance it. all they are is adding reverb in varying amounts to give the sound some echo. if you like your room to sound like an auditorium or megaphone, go for it wink.gif the only company whose DSP "presence" modes are based on real acoustic modeling of concert halls, jazz clubs, etc is Yamaha. everybody else is using some predetermined amt of echo effect. and adding too much reverb actually makes the soundfield less seamless & integrated, not more. a little bit goes a long way. also IMHO, the default amount of reverb for Action, SciFi, etc is way too much. out of the box, the only ones that seem to be acceptable to my ears are Drama and Monofilm but I decided years ago they just didn't sound as good as normal surround. there is a menu setting where you can reduce or increase the amount of reverb but IMO, it may not be worth the effort if you have PLIIx, Neo, and THX Music modes at your disposal, which will give you a more seamless, pleasing surround effect with true channel separation, not echoing your sound.

the choice, however, is yours smile.gif whatever suits your ears and taste. but if so far what you've mostly been using is Extending Stereo, you haven't scratched the surface of what this receiver is capable of in reproducing true surround sound.

Steve
post #628 of 884 Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 PM

question....the music in movies seems to be a bit low. The sound effects, explosions etc are great....the dialogue is great but music seems it is too low. I am using a 63 and only have the three front speakers right not, energy take classic, and two subs. I have run the MACC a couple of times and can't seem to figure out why the music seems so subdued. Any ideas? 

post #629 of 884 Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

There's two ways to go - either plug the cable box (and everything else) into the receiver and eliminate the optical cable -or- plug the cable box into the TV. (Obviously plug the BD player into the receiver). When you want TV audio via the receiver, you'll get it automatically via the ARC (audio return channel) of the HDMI cable that connects the receiver to the TV. The whole point of that was to eliminate the extra cable. If you turn on HDMI control, you can even have the TV turn the receiver on automatically and it will auto switch to the correct input. One note: you can't have anything else plugged into the TV input. If you do, ARC won't work.

Good idea, but I'd rather run everything directly to the receiver. I just went out and got a new 3ft hdmi cable. I have my cable dvr, blu-ray and ps3 all running to the receiver via hdmi, then hdmi out to the TV.

I'm not a fan of ARC and I think my LG 47LM7600 is limited in what types of audio it will pass, so I'd rather just let the receiver get the signals directly from the sources.

I have my Harmony 650 remote programmed so that I can switch all needed devices on/off, and switch all to the proper inputs with the quick press of a single button on the remote.
post #630 of 884 Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

may I ask - why are you using extended stereo? edit - misunderstood one of your sentences so I deleted my reference to it smile.gif

I think this is just a personal preference for some people. No matter how much I try to explain the purpose of true surround sound and how it's not meant to play every sound from every speaker, she still prefers using Ext. Stereo when she listens to her music.

She enjoys the feeling of just having all of the sound coming from all of the speakers and our powered Yamaha sub puts out quite a lot of bass. The moment I switch it to a true surround mode, she doesn't like how the levels drop and even when I show her how only specific sounds are now coming out of the rear speakers for a true surround effect, she would still rather just hear it all pumped out of all speakers.

rolleyes.gif meh... what can you do?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page