The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-61/-63 Owners Forum - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 877 Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202

Typically, a short in the speaker wires. Check them (at both ends) carefully.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 877 Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question I have the sc-61 and it seems like my subwoofer isn't on all of the time ? Any ideas what it could be ?
Thanks in advance !
post #723 of 877 Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Try turning the gain on the sub down and the sub output on the AVR up (to get to the same volume).

post #724 of 877 Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Liked: 16

Just scored a brand new SC-63 from BB on clearance, this my first AVR, planning for a simple 5.1 setup to start with. The unit was manufactured on May 2012 according to the box, do I need to do any type of firmware upgrade?

post #725 of 877 Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Typically, a short in the speaker wires. Check them (at both ends) carefully.

When I did the hard resets, had everything unplugged except the power cable. I use bananna plugs and everything worked fine on my old Harman unit that this is replacing before the swap and after, I looked carefully at both ends of each speaker wire, no loose strands. We are moving from FL to MN in 13 days so I am in a goofy position, cant drop it off for service as the local authorized repair center said 14-21 days, could not gaurantee it would be ready by our move date, if I wait to get it fixed in MN, I will be outside the return date to Bestbuy...anybody know how Pioneer's warranty works, if for some reason it cant be fixed, does Pioneer refund purchase price or do they substitute a replacement?
post #726 of 877 Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post

When I did the hard resets, had everything unplugged except the power cable. I use bananna plugs and everything worked fine on my old Harman unit that this is replacing before the swap and after, I looked carefully at both ends of each speaker wire, no loose strands. We are moving from FL to MN in 13 days so I am in a goofy position, cant drop it off for service as the local authorized repair center said 14-21 days, could not gaurantee it would be ready by our move date, if I wait to get it fixed in MN, I will be outside the return date to Bestbuy...anybody know how Pioneer's warranty works, if for some reason it cant be fixed, does Pioneer refund purchase price or do they substitute a replacement?

Ohh that sucks, if I were you I would simply return the item to bestbuy and get the money back. My speakers won't here until monday, I am waiting to connect mine and I hope it won't have any issues like yours

post #727 of 877 Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM

if you want the subs to be on all the time, you need to set the subwoofer to "plus".

post #728 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM

I see the SC-63 on E bay for $725 new. Is this a good deal ?? I realize this would be from an unauthorized dealer as well. Is there a better deal out there on a new Elite model? Do any authorized dealers give good "over the phone" discounts?
post #729 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Hey all,

I just gor the sc-63, and i cant seem to get my sub to work

plugged the coax into the LFE port on the klipsch sub, and the other end into the preamp sub 1 plugin

i do the auto levels adjustment with the mic, and the sub doesnt seem to be outputting anything. however if i go to adjust db manually, you can hear it pulsing with each increase in db, but there is no bass humm.

i dont know whats going on here, as the sub should be working fine. tapping the other end of the coax will make it rumble just fine as well. i tried both sub 1 and sub 2 ports for the preamp section. new monoprice sub coax cable

set speakers to small, cross over is at 100

still nothing comes out of the sub... when i increase the volume on the receiver the sub seems to be pulsing with each increase step in volume, which is really weird. any ideas?
post #730 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM

jrhooper, i saw a couple sc67s for open box at best buy online, check your area. i found some for 500, sad that i bought my sc63 for 635 now
post #731 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

I see the SC-63 on E bay for $725 new. Is this a good deal ?? I realize this would be from an unauthorized dealer as well. Is there a better deal out there on a new Elite model? Do any authorized dealers give good "over the phone" discounts?

$725 is high but if you decide to go through ebay route ask the seller for receipt for registration and warranty

post #732 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 PM

PCM audio

I need help, I connected my Bluray player to SC-63 but when I watch "Life of Pi" with DTS 7.1 Master HD on the receiver screen I see "PCM", is this normal, right now I am still waiting for my 5.1 speakers but I connected it with 2 bookshelf speakers as of right now.

I couldn't able to here any dialog just only the parts of music and some background :-)

post #733 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourian View Post

PCM audio

I need help, I connected my Bluray player to SC-63 but when I watch "Life of Pi" with DTS 7.1 Master HD on the receiver screen I see "PCM", is this normal, right now I am still waiting for my 5.1 speakers but I connected it with 2 bookshelf speakers as of right now.

I couldn't able to here any dialog just only the parts of music and some background :-)

If you receiver is saying PCM, it means that the blu-ray player is doing the decoding. Switch the blu-ray to bitstream and your receiver will then do the decoding.

post #734 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsc123 View Post

If you receiver is saying PCM, it means that the blu-ray player is doing the decoding. Switch the blu-ray to bitstream and your receiver will then do the decoding.

Thank you , I changed to Bitstream(unprocessed) and also I just did the auto calibration, Now I see it says stereo  and also DTS HD , attached the image for your reference. As I mentioned earlier my current setup is only with two front speakers.

Please let me know if this doesn't look correct

sc-63.jpg 47k .jpg file

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc-63.jpg (47.0 KB, 23 views)
post #735 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Thank you , I changed to Bitstream(unprocessed) and also I just did the auto calibration, Now I see it says stereo  and also DTS HD , attached the image for your reference. As I mentioned earlier my current setup is only with two front speakers.

sc-63.jpg 47k .jpg file

The dts ma indicates that the receiver is decoding that audio track from the Blu ray. The stereo indication is the sound field that you currently have selected which would be appropriate for your 2.0 setup.
missourian likes this.
post #736 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsc123 View Post

The dts ma indicates that the receiver is decoding that audio track from the Blu ray. The stereo indication is the sound field that you currently have selected which would be appropriate for your 2.0 setup.

Awesome thanks, appreciate your help, also HDMI switching was very slow, as recommended by AVS forum member set the Video out put as 1080P (passthrough) and let AVR do its job, no more issues with HDMI switching, I feel I learnt a lot in while setting up my home theater

post #737 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

sc-63.jpg 47k .jpg file

Hi Missourian, you have SP: A+B on. Do this cause any issue with incoming DTS HD audio, like down mix to 2 Ch?
post #738 of 877 Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 PM

I almost fixed all of the issues except one annoying issue

My Config

Tivo HDMI OUT ------->Pioneer SC-61 CBL/SAT HDMI IN

Pioneer HDMI OUT ------------->Samsung HDMI 2 ARC 

When I switch on the receiver it power on TV and Receiver and I see picture from TIVO for say 10 seconds and immediately my receiver switches the source to TV and I lose picture in TV , I need to select CBL/SAT from pioneer remote to get the picture back.

I am going to call Pioneer on Monday, this is irritating I am not sure what I am doing wrong

post #739 of 877 Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sounds like an HDMI CEC issue to me, try disabling it to see if that corrects the issue.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #740 of 877 Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Yes it works, but I couldn't able to adjust volume and power off/on receiver using TV remote, 

post #741 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

That's the downside of HDMI CEC, it's garbage. I know that's not useful at all and I'm sorry, but it's just the most half baked buggy feature possibly ever implemented that had the possibility of being great. It works in some rare cases between certain devices, but overall it's just going to introduce annoying bugs like you are experiencing.

I'd recommend getting a quality universal remote and disabling HDMI CEC completely on all devices.
missourian likes this.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #742 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I'd recommend getting a quality universal remote and disabling HDMI CEC completely on all devices.

+1

While it does work for me on SC-09 and SC-68 with a Pioneer Elite 151 Kuro plasma (it should work! wink.gif) I leave it turned off and have no use for it. One more thing to troubleshoot when things get flaky and whether it works or not highly depends on how it's implemented by the TV mfg and receiver mfg. some combinations work and by numerous posts in this forum, it's clear some combinations don't work.

just like Audio Return Channel (ARC), for many, it ends up being more problems than it's worth. and it will usually force the receiver to start up with the TV input even if that was not the last one used.

leave it off and you'll be happier not trying to make something work that won't wink.gif

a programmable remote with some simple macros to start the TV and AVR at same time can be far less troublesome.
Done Deal DR and missourian like this.

Steve
post #743 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Yes I learnt my lesson, in the process of learning I powered on & off my SC-63 and TV excessively, Do you guys have any recommendation for universal remote? A decent one, which needs to be operated by non techy spouse,little kids and teenagers.

post #744 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

It doesn't get much easier than Harmony. I prefer the older line, including the Harmony One if you have IR line of site or Harmony 900 if you don't have IR line of site. I've had a couple of each and they are fantastic and anybody can use them, and just about anybody could set one up... very easy.

There are some other brands and various price ranges, but I think the Harmony is the best combination of build quality, ease of set up, ease of use, and value. I'm in the process of setting up an iRule remote on an iPad. It's a lot more work, and while I'm capable of it, it's certainly not easy. Right now another person may be able to use it, but they'd need a rundown of how it worked first. I would have stayed with a Harmony but my set up necessitated going this route due to different physical locations of the equipment.
missourian likes this.

post #745 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

+1

While it does work for me on SC-09 and SC-68 with a Pioneer Elite 151 Kuro plasma (it should work! wink.gif) I leave it turned off and have no use for it. One more thing to troubleshoot when things get flaky and whether it works or not highly depends on how it's implemented by the TV mfg and receiver mfg. some combinations work and by numerous posts in this forum, it's clear some combinations don't work.

just like Audio Return Channel (ARC), for many, it ends up being more problems than it's worth. and it will usually force the receiver to start up with the TV input even if that was not the last one used.

leave it off and you'll be happier not trying to make something work that won't wink.gif

a programmable remote with some simple macros to start the TV and AVR at same time can be far less troublesome.

Great point, USUALLY devices of the same brand work together (but of course not always), however once you start mixing brands all bets are off.

post #746 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 05:28 PM

I got my HD300 today, to connect the subwoofer will this cable work?

amazon Subwoofer cable

post #747 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure, or you could spend half that and get one from here:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search?cp_id=12004&keyword=rca%20subwoofer%20cable

or here, depending on shipping:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-cables/2145

I hope you are aware that all you need is an RCA plug to RCA plug cable. It needn't be anything fancy, just long enough to reach your sub.

You might even find one at your local Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102945

missourian likes this.

post #748 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Sure, or you could spend half that and get one from here:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search?cp_id=12004&keyword=rca%20subwoofer%20cable

or here, depending on shipping:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-cables/2145

I hope you are aware that all you need is an RCA plug to RCA plug cable. It needn't be anything fancy, just long enough to reach your sub.

You might even find one at your local Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102945

thank you, I have ordered some banana plugs, high speed HDMI and one more sub woofer cable, they charged me $8 shipping but still good price

post #749 of 877 Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

thank you, I have ordered some banana plugs, high speed HDMI and one more sub woofer cable, they charged me $8 shipping but still good price

Hi Missourian, if your order is over $30 and this your first time as a monoprice new member you can get $10 off by applying code TAXACT10.
post #750 of 877 Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 AM

^^^

Thank you JChin

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page