post #811 of 881 Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourian View Post

Just dropped of my SC-63 for service, a friend of mine loaned his yamaha 473 spare unit, after listening to 473 i said its worth to get the SC-63 serviced :-). I will keep you guys posted.

At BB or one of the electronic stores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 881 Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Oh at JOTS electronics , for some reason Geek Squad scares me, even though I never had to use them before.

post #813 of 881 Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I talked to BestBuy manager this morning, they mentioned I cannot return the product since its outside of 14 day return policy, he told me that to bring the unit in so that Geek Squad can have a look at it and if needed ship the item to a service center, I talked to pioneer as well this morning, they told me to take the unit to nearest service center, what should I do? I am not comfortable with Geek Squad, the two authorized service center in DFW metroplex are listed below, anyone has any recommendation?

1. AJ Electronics
Address: 2001 Coit Rd #166, Plano, TX 75075

Phone:
(972) 612-9748

2. Jots Electronics

Address: 3201 E Pioneer Pkwy #44, Arlington, TX 76010

Phone:
(817) 652-3622

Well neighbor, I used AJ's several years ago for repair and they took 2 weeks but no problems afterwards.

post #814 of 881 Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Hello people!

I've noticed the "over" indicator is lit often on my receiver panel... Apparently, it means that the analog signal provided to it by my sources is too strong, and my distort.

So there's an analog signal attenuator function on the receiver... I don't know how to uise it, and is it any good? Or it's just another function altering the original material?

Thanks in advance!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #815 of 881 Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Just dropped of my SC-63 for service, a friend of mine loaned his yamaha 473 spare unit, after listening to 473 i said its worth to get the SC-63 serviced :-). I will keep you guys posted.

Got a call from local repair facility saying that they are able to recreate the issue, but they are telling it is normal, at certain frequency the gain will be high and it draws more current which trips the receiver, I don't understand it, so talked to Pioneer customer service rep he told that its(shutting of receiver at high volume even with no speakers attached) not normal and they will call my local  service center about next steps. The rep also mentioned about trying Digital Safety ON to prevent the frequency spikes, anyone tried it?

post #816 of 881 Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Hello guys, just got a new SC-63, trying to figure out if there's a way to control basic functionalities like vol, inputs from the web (pc/mac), my yamaha wud let me control it just by entering its ip address, sc-63 does not do that, am i missing something?
post #817 of 881 Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravneet View Post

Hello guys, just got a new SC-63, trying to figure out if there's a way to control basic functionalities like vol, inputs from the web (pc/mac), my yamaha wud let me control it just by entering its ip address, sc-63 does not do that, am i missing something?

I control mine using iphone and android app, but to my knowledge there is no app to control sc-63 from pc or mac.

post #818 of 881 Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM

I just received an Elite 63 and am somewhat overwhelmed by the manual contained on the supplied disk. I could use some starter advice on initial setup and control. 

All my connections are HDMI, cable box to receiver in and Blueray player to receiver in.  Receiver out is to TV in.  I've got the receiver to play through my speakers and that's it so far.  I have read about others using their TV remote to turn on the TV and receiver at the same time. Also heard you could pass thru the receiver and use normal tv speakers (with surround system off).  Right now, my receiver must be on to get video on the TV.  I haven't figured these issues out yet. 

I tried to search this thread, but my frustration has lead to impatience.  Any advice offered would be appreciated.

post #819 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post

I just received an Elite 63 and am somewhat overwhelmed by the manual contained on the supplied disk. I could use some starter advice on initial setup and control. 

All my connections are HDMI, cable box to receiver in and Blueray player to receiver in.  Receiver out is to TV in.  I've got the receiver to play through my speakers and that's it so far.  I have read about others using their TV remote to turn on the TV and receiver at the same time. Also heard you could pass thru the receiver and use normal tv speakers (with surround system off).  Right now, my receiver must be on to get video on the TV.  I haven't figured these issues out yet. 

I tried to search this thread, but my frustration has lead to impatience.  Any advice offered would be appreciated.

Congratulations! Be happy you got an excellent system, I went through the same frustration when I got my SC-63 (Mostly because its my first AVR ever). First you need to learn the remote operations, I did following

1. Full Auto MCACC (Press receiver button and then Home menu button) Advanced MCACC and select Full Auto MCACC

2. Trust me HDMI CEC is total waste in my opinion, the implementation is not matured yet, I wasted countless hours on it, in the end I took the advice from this forum and got a universal remote, I am doing lot better with it.

3. Yes you can passthrough HDMI signal even during standby mode

Home Menu -->System Setup-->HDMI Setup---->Standby Through ON or Off

I don't use #3 because my Samsung TV speakers are CRAP:) , my infinity primus 5.1 setup holds well for both music and movie

Good Advice on MCACC calibration  Linky

post #820 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

Hello people!

I've noticed the "over" indicator is lit often on my receiver panel... Apparently, it means that the analog signal provided to it by my sources is too strong, and my distort.

So there's an analog signal attenuator function on the receiver... I don't know how to uise it, and is it any good? Or it's just another function altering the original material?

Thanks in advance!

Did you figured the problem? I don't know what causes this, I checked page 92 I don't see any mention about this particular issue.

post #821 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:

After configuring my SC-63 with brand new infinity speakers and after making sure all the speaker wire connections are properly secured, I still faced the issue of receiver going into protection mode while watching "The Dark Knight" at high volume, I disconnected all the speakers and subwoofers from receiver end and watched the movie again exactly between 8.35 to 8.40 (my bluray player show time passed) my receiver goes into protection mode ( ipod light blinking), Posted below the test results, Do I need to contact Pioneer for service? 

Why is this happening only like -3.5 db and above even with no speakers connected to receiver? My test passed at 4.dB. Possibility of me watching a movie at -3.5 db is less, but damn, I have seen people driving volume all the way to +20 and all, any advice from the experts? I don't think this is my bluray disc issue because at receiver volume above -4db no issues. 

I picked up my unit from local service center, good thing is they are able to recreate the issue and bad part is they are saying it is the limitation of digital amp. 

"Problem is Too Much Gain in High Frequency and that is the reason receiver shuts off" according to my local service center Pioneer's advanced technical support acknowledges this issue, I sent an email to Pioneer with all the paper work and I was told the issue has been escalated up and I should get an answer next week.

post #822 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Gents, I am hoping for real time help....I am running REW sweeps for my theater room with my SC-63. I am eq'ing my subs and have had the speakers off except for the sub for the most part. Just recently turned my speakers back on and noticed that ALL my speakers are receiving full repsonse when I play a sweep......WHY ARE MY CROSSOVER SETTINGS NOT WORKING? Im worried that Im going to fry my center channel the next time I play music. 

I went into my MCACC settings and double checked that I am crossed at 50hz and all my speakers are set to small. Sub it set to yes. 

Im sure Im missing something stupid easy that is right in front of me but I can't seem to figure it out. 

I posted this in the MCACC thread but haven't had a response yet. 

post #823 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

@Missourian : I've tried the analog signal attenuator, it's located directly in the mcacc menu, on the receiver screen... To be honest, I have a hard time figuring out if I like it or not. Maybe it reduces distortion, but I find the sound to be less "livelier" too...Maybe it's only a volume thing too. Still making tests with cds I've noticed slight distortions in them... Not sure yet about that the fact it sounds cleanier as it should with the attenuator on. The over light indicator stopped blinking and disappeared, though.

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #824 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

agin house: what are your speakers If I might ask? At 50hz crossover, they better be real badass ( I mean, real badass, like going 20hz-like deep) in the low end to put such a low crossover... If it's not the case, you are putting too much stress on them, the subwoofers should be relaxing them way more than that. Overall performance would benefit greatly from it.

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #825 of 881 Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe I'm totally wrong though hehe, I,m far from being expert heh cool.gif

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #826 of 881 Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:

agin house: what are your speakers If I might ask? At 50hz crossover, they better be real badass ( I mean, real badass, like going 20hz-like deep) in the low end to put such a low crossover... If it's not the case, you are putting too much stress on them, the subwoofers should be relaxing them way more than that. Overall performance would benefit greatly from it.

Hi Aarghon, Im running the RF7ii towers

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 30Hz-24KHz ± 3dB
SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 2.83V / 1m
POWER HANDLING: 250W RMS / 1000W Peak
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 8" square 90° x 60° Tractrix® Horn
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: Two 10" (25.4cm) Cerametallic cone woofers
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 1200Hz

What am I missing with my x-overs. I wasn't in pure direct....has to be something stupid that Im missing???

post #827 of 881 Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

You have bass heavy speakers, but I'd still cross them at 80hz if I were you.. Anyone on that?

Maybe it will solve your problem about full signal to each speaker... At 50 hz, your sub will seldomly be getting serious action anyways...Not sure , but giving more bass to the sub should make REW perceive a lesser range signal from the seemingly full range one you are getting now?

Just suppositions though, hope any one seasoned with REW will chime in! Interests me a lot too!

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #828 of 881 Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:

You have bass heavy speakers, but I'd still cross them at 80hz if I were you.. Anyone on that?

Maybe it will solve your problem about full signal to each speaker... At 50 hz, your sub will seldomly be getting serious action anyways...Not sure , but giving more bass to the sub should make REW perceive a lesser range signal from the seemingly full range one you are getting now?

Just suppositions though, hope any one seasoned with REW will chime in! Interests me a lot too!

Thanks Aarghon. I would love to cross at 80hz....if I could cross at all. I actually typically do for movies, but sometimes when Im listening to music I like the fuller sound when I let the mains do most of the work. Seems to be a bit cleaner depending on the type of music. 

Aarghon likes this.
post #829 of 881 Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

I hear you, depending on the recordings, sometimes I switch to pure direct... Would be fun if one trick did it all rightfully, for both music and movies!

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #830 of 881 Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Pioneer agreed to send me the replacement unit, they asked me to ship the item to a address in Long Beach, California, once they received the item then they will send me the replacement. I am not sure if the replacement will be a refurbished or new, anyone had any experience with Pioneer replacement? Usually companies send the replacement unit first after having the customer's credit card # with the right to charge if faulty unit not received by so and so date. So much trouble for me.

post #831 of 881 Old 02-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Congratulations! Be happy you got an excellent system, I went through the same frustration when I got my SC-63 (Mostly because its my first AVR ever). First you need to learn the remote operations, I did following

1. Full Auto MCACC (Press receiver button and then Home menu button) Advanced MCACC and select Full Auto MCACC

2. Trust me HDMI CEC is total waste in my opinion, the implementation is not matured yet, I wasted countless hours on it, in the end I took the advice from this forum and got a universal remote, I am doing lot better with it.

I don't use #3 because my Samsung TV speakers are CRAP:) , my infinity primus 5.1 setup holds well for both music and movie

Thanks for the reply, I finally have some time to use the new receiver over the next few days. The full auto cal seemed to get things sounding better right away.  I just have some cheap old speakers hooked up now.  Waiting to learn how to operate the AVR first.  I will be spending some time on this forum to learn and avoid asking redundant questions.  Again, thanks for getting me started. 

I bought the AVR from Amazon along with the 3 year warranty.  However, since I had a low credit line and a 65" Plasma and OPPO BDP103 recent purchases on Amazon credit, my order for the AVR and warranty exceeded my limit.  I paid for the AVR from my bank, but have not bought the warranty.  Do the Pioneer SC owners recommend that I buy the warranty?  I think the cost was $50 which does not sound out of line to me.

post #832 of 881 Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.  The auto cal worked out fine.  I'll continue reading this forum to learn and avoid redundant questions. 

post #833 of 881 Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, I finally have some time to use the new receiver over the next few days. The full auto cal seemed to get things sounding better right away.  I just have some cheap old speakers hooked up now.  Waiting to learn how to operate the AVR first.  I will be spending some time on this forum to learn and avoid asking redundant questions.  Again, thanks for getting me started. 

I bought the AVR from Amazon along with the 3 year warranty.  However, since I had a low credit line and a 65" Plasma and OPPO BDP103 recent purchases on Amazon credit, my order for the AVR and warranty exceeded my limit.  I paid for the AVR from my bank, but have not bought the warranty.  Do the Pioneer SC owners recommend that I buy the warranty?  I think the cost was $50 which does not sound out of line to me.

I was told that Pioneer won't honor manufacturer warranty on Elite series if it had been purchased online(including amazon). So verify those facts. In my case after much deliberation I didn't buy the extended warranty but I paid very less for this new unit and hence decided to just stay with 2 year manufacturer warranty. If I spent more than $500 I would have purchased the extended warranty from Best Buy  or Square trade. So my recommendation is consider all the options before buying extended warranty, some credit cards add one extra year of warranty on top of manufacturer warranty.

post #834 of 881 Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM

I've got the SC63 connected to the internet via LAN connection.  Internet Radio works for me, Pandora does not.  I tried "new user" for Pandora and received a network error.

I ran the software update since there was one out there that was available and it only made it 5% through before I received an error message.  This seemed to lock things up so I had to power off the AVR and back on.  The update was never completed, I think it was an "error 7" that I received, but there is no explanation as to what this means.

I have no idea how to set up Airplay on my Iphone 4 or on the SC63.  It seems I cannot find any straight forward instruction on how to do this on the internet or in the AVR manual

I've got old bookshelve speakers connected to the AVR and I swear they sounded better connected to my AIWA stereo, much more bass.

Still frustrated with the SC63 and am running out of patience, is it worth it to keep it or send it back for something else? 

I did watch "Snitch" after performing the auto cal last night and the AVR sounded pretty good, no sub connected yet.  I was satisfied with the performance.

post #835 of 881 Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I've got the SC63 connected to the internet via LAN connection.  Internet Radio works for me, Pandora does not.  I tried "new user" for Pandora and received a network error.

I ran the software update since there was one out there that was available and it only made it 5% through before I received an error message.  This seemed to lock things up so I had to power off the AVR and back on.  The update was never completed, I think it was an "error 7" that I received, but there is no explanation as to what this means.

I have no idea how to set up Airplay on my Iphone 4 or on the SC63.  It seems I cannot find any straight forward instruction on how to do this on the internet or in the AVR manual

I've got old bookshelve speakers connected to the AVR and I swear they sounded better connected to my AIWA stereo, much more bass.

Still frustrated with the SC63 and am running out of patience, is it worth it to keep it or send it back for something else? 

I did watch "Snitch" after performing the auto cal last night and the AVR sounded pretty good, no sub connected yet.  I was satisfied with the performance.

Firmware update didn't work for me using LAN so I used the USB method and it went through without a glitch, no idea about Pandora as I am not using it, Airplay works beautifully with my mac and ios 7.x without any issues, to have the airplay work I made sure my SC-63 and iphone are in the same network, once I confirmed it,  on my iphone when I play music I see AirPlay icon and from there I select SC-63 and it streams instantly. 

post #836 of 881 Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Firmware update didn't work for me using LAN so I used the USB method and it went through without a glitch,

unless something's changed, none of Pioneer's FW updates so far have been by LAN for the 60 series model. everyone has needed USB flash drives. and I believe Pioneer's instructions state this smile.gif is it did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Steve
post #837 of 881 Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

I ran the software update since there was one out there that was available and it only made it 5% through before I received an error message...Still frustrated with the SC63 and am running out of patience, is it worth it to keep it or send it back for something else?

see my previous post. none of the 60 series FW updates, in fact none for any model, have been by LAN. they are for USB only. that's why you get an error. I suggest you download the zip files for all FW updates to your PC along with the instructions for each one & read them wink.gif

then take a blank USB flash drive, delete all existing files on it, format it (yes format it) as FAT 32, then unzip the FW update to the flash drive. I would not put the zip file itself on the drive, just the unzipped files. plug it in the front USB port and point the FW update to USB drive. I've done everyone for the SC-68 and all updates worked flawlessly. some have had problems with the mfg of flash drive used but I have not. I used a PNY 8GB and it works just fine.

I can't address Pandora since I don't use the service. but I think you have to set up your acct with a PC first, not using the receiver.

understand the frustration but Pioneer is not much different than their competitors - check other threads & you will find people who have problems with other brands and models, too.

firmware instructions on Pioneer's web site for each SC-60 model have clearly stated to use USB drives for all updates listed on their site. if you follow their instructions, updates should work for you too smile.gif

if you want the most reliable use with your iphone or droid phone, I suggest you set up your router with a reserved IP address for the SC-63 if your router has that feature. similar to setting your receiver with a static IP address but simpler since you don't have to enter subnet mask, gateway, dns information. set receiver to DHCP, reserve an IP address in the router for the SC-63 (again if your router has the feature), put that IP address in your iphone or droid and your phone will connect reliably. if you don't do this, I have found that sometimes the phone loses connectivity to the receiver. you can usually get it to reconnect by turning the phone off and on, and/or rebooting router. if you have varying # devices connecting, the router may assign a different IP address and since the phone won't automatically get a new address, it can drop the connection occasionally.

Airplay - I don't use it, altho I have the app on the phone. I just don't have a need for it so can't help you there. but I'm sure once you get reliable connectivity between the phone-router-receiver it will work for you.

Steve
post #838 of 881 Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for helping out a beginner guys.  I'll try the recommendations that you have provided. 

post #839 of 881 Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 214

Once you've done the firmware update, I found this a lot easier:

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #840 of 881 Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 PM

When listening to music, and the receiver is set to pure direct, does that change the speaker setting to large? I know it only send sound to the two fronts, but does it still keep the crossover to what I previously had it set at (I run small with x over at 80) our do the towers now get the full range? Just wondering if I would be better saving different mcacc settings for music vs movie.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page