The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-61/-63 Owners Forum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 884 Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since there isn't an official one yet, I'll get the ball rolling.

I am new here and new to home theaters. Below is a list of what I just ordered as my first home theater system:

Pioneer Elite SC-61 AVR
Polk Audio RTi A5 Towers
Polk Audio CS20 Center (I realize this is supposed to be paired with the TSI series. Long story.)
Polk Audio RCi80 In-Ceiling Speakers for back surround
Polk Audio RCi60 In-Ceiling Speakers for Zone 2 in bedroom and bathroom (one speaker in each room)
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U 50" Plasma (about 4 years old)

I don't have a sub yet (almost bought the Polk Pro600, but salesman at Fry's said Klipsch was superior).

So I'd like to start by saying thanks to all who contribute to this forum. Largely based on things I've read here, I've steered myself to my first entry level system.

A few questions about the SC-61 that aren't apparent to me from reading the owners manual and/or I could not find easily on this forum:

1)The manual says that if I don't have an amp for my pre-out for Zone 2, that I can use my Surround Channels instead, since I'm only running a 5.1 system. What I can't seem to get an answer on is, will this still allow me to play separate audio in Zone 2 or will it play whatever is on in Zone 1?

2) It would be nice to have a separate remote control for Zone 2. The user manual says to use the CU-RF100 Omnidirectional remote. The problem is that I can't find one for sale by searching google or the Pioneer website. WTF?

3) I was excited to get my receiver and I haven't received the towers yet, so I hooked up the center speaker and receiver on the counter last night (in the process of wiring my living room for new setup). I hooked up my iphone with the cable included and tried playing the Yankees game with the SiriusXM app. No sound played. After reading a little more, the manual says it will only play music from playlists and other app functions might be blocked, so I'm assuming that was the case? I then hooked up the AM and FM antenna's just because I wanted to hear something come out. I switched the receiver to play an AM channel that I know works in this area. Nothing. Same with FM. Still nothing. Kind of worried me, but I figured it something I did or didn't do, but was at a loss for what. Any ideas? And for the smart asses,yes, the speaker was properly connected.

4) What's best, bare wire or banana plugs to the receiver? I bought CL3 16 gauge wire to run through the walls and through the entertainment center (it's custom built and all wood.) Stripping the CL3 wire is a PITA, so I was leaning toward banana's.

Thanks in advance for your responses!biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 884 Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Liked: 14
Hi I'll join. I've had my SC-61 about a week. I got it because I could not find a new DVD player that used red-green-blue cabling, and my trusty old Denon 2802 had no HDMI. So I sought some advice from my pop who reads up on all this stuff, and the Best Buy associate in the Magnolia room. They both recommended the new range of Pioneer Elites.

I was deciding for the last week whether I would upgrade to SC-68 but I'm only running 3.1 until I can get a pro installer to run wires clean to the back of the room (wife FORBIDS me to do it - she knows it will look crappy). I cannot see any scenario where I ever run 9.2 or extra zones. So for me, the SC-61 fits the bill perfectly for features and performance. I'm keeping it!

After a week with this in the rack, and some experimenting with MCACC... I just today put a really expensive german integrated amp in the closet (I had been using it to drive my mains). I would not have believed it a week ago when I bought this receiver for less than a thousand dollars, that it would be all the amplifier I needed... but it is. I'm shocked. I don't know whether I'll sell the old amp or build a killer bedroom system with it, but I do NOT need it to help my family room sound better. Again, I'm shocked to say this but it is true.

I did not think this receiver was heavy enough (32lb) to be "this good" but I cannot find any fault with the amp whatsoever. It plays very loud and full. I wish I knew the true 20-20,000 power specs just for grins, but it doesn't matter. It has ample power to play very clean up to the hearing damage threshold and beyond.

I also do not know what DACs are in it, but I suppose it does not matter. It sounds great and I probably will never have a need to bypass or improve on these DACs regardless of who makes them.

On the MCACC, I am finding the "front align" works best for me but I do NOT like a lot of digital eq. "front align" matches the center frequency response to the mains which is perfect for me - that way I can play two channel music pretty much unpolluted by digital EQ but still use the bass management, phase control and standing wave control. And the multi-channel will be matched to itself. nice.

I can't wait to add 2 or 4 rear channels and see what that is like!! I understand that this amp's ability to drive 7 channels to full power is sort of it's claim to fame. But right now I have Red Riding Hood blueray playing and it is just terrific sound for theater even with just the 3.1. My appleTV plays great through it too. Those, along with my DISH satellite box for TV are my only sources.

I'm really tipping my hat to Pioneer to put so much value in this machine. These D3 amps... wow just wow ... it sounds really good!
post #3 of 884 Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviation1st View Post

Since there isn't an official one yet, I'll get the ball rolling.
I am new here and new to home theaters. Below is a list of what I just ordered as my first home theater system:
Pioneer Elite SC-61 AVR
Polk Audio RTi A5 Towers
Polk Audio CS20 Center (I realize this is supposed to be paired with the TSI series. Long story.)
Polk Audio RCi80 In-Ceiling Speakers for back surround
Polk Audio RCi60 In-Ceiling Speakers for Zone 2 in bedroom and bathroom (one speaker in each room)
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U 50" Plasma (about 4 years old)
I don't have a sub yet (almost bought the Polk Pro600, but salesman at Fry's said Klipsch was superior).
So I'd like to start by saying thanks to all who contribute to this forum. Largely based on things I've read here, I've steered myself to my first entry level system.
A few questions about the SC-61 that aren't apparent to me from reading the owners manual and/or I could not find easily on this forum:
1)The manual says that if I don't have an amp for my pre-out for Zone 2, that I can use my Surround Channels instead, since I'm only running a 5.1 system. What I can't seem to get an answer on is, will this still allow me to play separate audio in Zone 2 or will it play whatever is on in Zone 1?
2) It would be nice to have a separate remote control for Zone 2. The user manual says to use the CU-RF100 Omnidirectional remote. The problem is that I can't find one for sale by searching google or the Pioneer website. WTF?
3) I was excited to get my receiver and I haven't received the towers yet, so I hooked up the center speaker and receiver on the counter last night (in the process of wiring my living room for new setup). I hooked up my iphone with the cable included and tried playing the Yankees game with the SiriusXM app. No sound played. After reading a little more, the manual says it will only play music from playlists and other app functions might be blocked, so I'm assuming that was the case? I then hooked up the AM and FM antenna's just because I wanted to hear something come out. I switched the receiver to play an AM channel that I know works in this area. Nothing. Same with FM. Still nothing. Kind of worried me, but I figured it something I did or didn't do, but was at a loss for what. Any ideas? And for the smart asses,yes, the speaker was properly connected.
4) What's best, bare wire or banana plugs to the receiver? I bought CL3 16 gauge wire to run through the walls and through the entertainment center (it's custom built and all wood.) Stripping the CL3 wire is a PITA, so I was leaning toward banana's.
Thanks in advance for your responses!biggrin.gif

Well, thanks for starting the forum!! I'm new as well. I jsut bought the SC-61 2 weeks ago. Love it. I just upgraded from an Onkyo 601 I bought back in '03. Funny, on your speakers, I just took off my Polk Audio's. I had RTi100 (powered) towers. and the CSi40, and FXi 's for the rears.. (theyr'e on Craigslist now).. But I absolutley LOVED them!!! Oh, and a Velodyne CT-12 which I'm KEEPING!!!

Right now, I'm running Monitor Audio GX50's on the fronts.

Anyway... Have you done the MCACC Set-up with the microphone?? It's pretty awesome.. I did a little tweaking to it.. but it sets everything up for you, in regards to speaker set-up, volume, placement, wave, distance, all bass, mid-range, and treble settings.. It's pretty cool. FYI: If you do do it, it overwrites any settings you previously have set up.

As for banana clips.. Banana clips are good for speakers that are out in the open and the back is slightly visible to the listener.. They don't provide any better sound quality. They are best mainly for floor standing or bookshelf speakers in which you can show the back to others by just looking on the other side.. Get good speaker wire and you'll be fine with bare wire or bananas.

Do you have an iPAd? There's a pretty cool app that goes with the Elites that controls volume and calibration, and some other fun stuff.. FYI: The Elite MUST BE HARD WIRED with an Ethernet cable to your modem or router.

Other than that.. Im pretty new to this forum, and the Elite.. I hope some people join in!!

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #4 of 884 Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer95667 View Post

Hi I'll join. I've had my SC-61 about a week. I got it because I could not find a new DVD player that used red-green-blue cabling, and my trusty old Denon 2802 had no HDMI. So I sought some advice from my pop who reads up on all this stuff, and the Best Buy associate in the Magnolia room. They both recommended the new range of Pioneer Elites.
I was deciding for the last week whether I would upgrade to SC-68 but I'm only running 3.1 until I can get a pro installer to run wires clean to the back of the room (wife FORBIDS me to do it - she knows it will look crappy). I cannot see any scenario where I ever run 9.2 or extra zones. So for me, the SC-61 fits the bill perfectly for features and performance. I'm keeping it!
After a week with this in the rack, and some experimenting with MCACC... I just today put a really expensive german integrated amp in the closet (I had been using it to drive my mains). I would not have believed it a week ago when I bought this receiver for less than a thousand dollars, that it would be all the amplifier I needed... but it is. I'm shocked. I don't know whether I'll sell the old amp or build a killer bedroom system with it, but I do NOT need it to help my family room sound better. Again, I'm shocked to say this but it is true.
I did not think this receiver was heavy enough (32lb) to be "this good" but I cannot find any fault with the amp whatsoever. It plays very loud and full. I wish I knew the true 20-20,000 power specs just for grins, but it doesn't matter. It has ample power to play very clean up to the hearing damage threshold and beyond.
I also do not know what DACs are in it, but I suppose it does not matter. It sounds great and I probably will never have a need to bypass or improve on these DACs regardless of who makes them.
On the MCACC, I am finding the "front align" works best for me but I do NOT like a lot of digital eq. "front align" matches the center frequency response to the mains which is perfect for me - that way I can play two channel music pretty much unpolluted by digital EQ but still use the bass management, phase control and standing wave control. And the multi-channel will be matched to itself. nice.
I can't wait to add 2 or 4 rear channels and see what that is like!! I understand that this amp's ability to drive 7 channels to full power is sort of it's claim to fame. But right now I have Red Riding Hood blueray playing and it is just terrific sound for theater even with just the 3.1. My appleTV plays great through it too. Those, along with my DISH satellite box for TV are my only sources.
I'm really tipping my hat to Pioneer to put so much value in this machine. These D3 amps... wow just wow ... it sounds really good!

Yup.. Ironically, I went from a 5.1 on my old Onkyo system, to 4.1 on the Elite SC-61. The power and the sound is INCREDIBLE!!!! I watched Born Identity, and the part were he blows up the gas tank outside the house with that double barrel shotgun is UNREAL. Also, watched Book of Eli.. Incredible.

The thing I LOVE about this receiver is the HDMI's. I run EVERYTHING: Oppo Blu-ray, Apple TV, ATT Uverse, through the SC-61, and use the HDMI OUT to the TV. It's brilliant. Also, I changed the Input Selectors (settings).. and "hid" alot fo the ones I'm not using.. (Sirius, Pandora, etc.) In other words, when I have my Apple TV on the input in the reciever says "Apple TV" and when I watch blu-ray, it says "Oppo Blu-ray" instead of BD.

Again.. those D3 Amps are ridiculous.

MY GEAR:

post #5 of 884 Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM

I have the Pioneer Elite SC-61. I'm having one problem when using Pandora or Internet Radio as sources. When using those sources, the arrow buttons and Enter buttons on the included remote control don't function. So I have to do the selecting using physical button presses on the unit. Is anyone else seeing that?

SOLVED: Pioneer customer service got back to me on this. You have to use the NET button on the remote to have the remote in a state where the arrow buttons work.
gphoton likes this.
post #6 of 884 Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I got my sc-61in the mail today and connected it in place of my old Sony receiver, however all i could get was a blinking blue MCACC light, no audio or video. I searched around and found a reset procedure, after disconnecting everything but power to the receiver I did the reset. It booted up, so I turned it back off and connected HDMI's and was able to get picture. Turned it back off and connected a single speaker pair to it and I got the error again. I've checked the polarity of the speaker pairs over and over but there is no problem and I can't understand what is wrong. The only thing I can think is that its just DOA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #7 of 884 Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nothing much to add except that I've had an SC61 for about a month now. The MCACC has taken a bit to get used to but the dedicated MCACC thread on AVS helps a lot, I definitely recommend it for anyone using it for the first time. It helps to have the Antimode 8033s for the sub freqs.

My stuff;

SC-61
For Theater; Wharfedales (Maple)
Evo2-30 fronts
Evo2 center ('centre' for Brits)
Evo2 10 surrounds

For 2-Channel listening;
Switching out a pair of ACI Jaguar 2000s & ACI Sapphire 25th Anniv Editions. The Jags are stunning.

SVS PC12-Plus w/Antimode 8033s

Panasonic Viera GT50
Apple TV
Micca MPlay-HD
Pioneer Elite PD-F27 CD player
post #8 of 884 Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer95667 View Post

When we moved into our new house I had my speaker wire ran under our carpet for that very reason. It's so nice not seeing speaker wire everywhere, but it does limit you if you ever get a wild hair to move your furniture around. Thankfully, my wife and I both decided that our current set up was best suited for our living room.

That's great to hear about the receiver!! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Yup.. Ironically, I went from a 5.1 on my old Onkyo system, to 4.1 on the Elite SC-61. The power and the sound is INCREDIBLE!!!! I watched Born Identity, and the part were he blows up the gas tank outside the house with that double barrel shotgun is UNREAL. Also, watched Book of Eli.. Incredible.
The thing I LOVE about this receiver is the HDMI's. I run EVERYTHING: Oppo Blu-ray, Apple TV, ATT Uverse, through the SC-61, and use the HDMI OUT to the TV. It's brilliant. Also, I changed the Input Selectors (settings).. and "hid" alot fo the ones I'm not using.. (Sirius, Pandora, etc.) In other words, when I have my Apple TV on the input in the reciever says "Apple TV" and when I watch blu-ray, it says "Oppo Blu-ray" instead of BD.
Again.. those D3 Amps are ridiculous.

That's what I like to hear!!

I currently have a 4 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 and while it has been a good receiver, I felt it was time for an upgrade. I received my SC-61 last week and plan on setting it up tomorrow evening after work. smile.gif I'm anxious to dig into it and dreading it at the same time. biggrin.gif

Next thing on my list is a second sub since the SC-61 has two sub pre-outs. I'm excited to get it set up and power it up for the first time, and here's to the new life it will breathe into my Mirage speakers. cool.gif
post #9 of 884 Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

I hope you have better luck with it than I did. I did all kinds of troubleshooting with the SC-61 and couldn't get it to output to my Klipsch RF-7 II's. Ended up replacing all the wires with no change. The weirdest thing was that I hooked up an old speaker I had laying around and I got sound no problem. I know the speakers were fine because I've been listening to them for a week blissfully in my previous Sony receiver. I called the dealer and they couldn't think of anything, and all I can come up with is that something must be damaged internally in the amp where it doesn't like the impedance of the speakers or something. I just boxed it up and sent it back to them and will try a replacement next week.

A little bummed but these things happen from time to time. I'm going camping for a few days anyways so that will help keep my mind off of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #10 of 884 Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin76 View Post

When we moved into our new house I had my speaker wire ran under our carpet for that very reason. It's so nice not seeing speaker wire everywhere, but it does limit you if you ever get a wild hair to move your furniture around. Thankfully, my wife and I both decided that our current set up was best suited for our living room.
That's great to hear about the receiver!! smile.gif
That's what I like to hear!!
I currently have a 4 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 and while it has been a good receiver, I felt it was time for an upgrade. I received my SC-61 last week and plan on setting it up tomorrow evening after work. smile.gif I'm anxious to dig into it and dreading it at the same time. biggrin.gif
Next thing on my list is a second sub since the SC-61 has two sub pre-outs. I'm excited to get it set up and power it up for the first time, and here's to the new life it will breathe into my Mirage speakers. cool.gif

Cool.. Well, if I can help, I'll go ahead and let you know a few things I wish I did when I opened the box.

First. It doesn't come with ANY manuals. It comes with a 2 page lieflet that's a "quick set up guide" .... don't even look at it. Click this link http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-61 and you can donwload it to your computer or iPAd.

Get your stuff hooked up and your speakers in the right positions and the right HDMI's in the outlets you prefer.. and use the Advanced MCACC Set-up guide!!!! It's a setup you use by placing the microphone (that it comes with) on a tripod, and place in the listening postion.. (I put mine on a tri-pod without the legs extended on the couch a little above earlength.) and plug it in to the unit. the rest is history.... It sets up everything for you... it detects how many speakers and which ones your using. (R, L Center, etc..) Detects ambient noise.. (make sure it's quiet in the room), standing waves, channel levels, reverb, speaker size, & distances and sets it all up for you.. it takes about 5 mintues or so.. It starts as soon as you plug in the microphone.

I went back and did a little tweaking after I had it set up a few days. I wanted my rears and sub level to be slightly higher, and adjusted the treble end of on the EQ.

MY GEAR:

post #11 of 884 Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I hope you have better luck with it than I did. I did all kinds of troubleshooting with the SC-61 and couldn't get it to output to my Klipsch RF-7 II's. Ended up replacing all the wires with no change. The weirdest thing was that I hooked up an old speaker I had laying around and I got sound no problem. I know the speakers were fine because I've been listening to them for a week blissfully in my previous Sony receiver. I called the dealer and they couldn't think of anything, and all I can come up with is that something must be damaged internally in the amp where it doesn't like the impedance of the speakers or something. I just boxed it up and sent it back to them and will try a replacement next week.
A little bummed but these things happen from time to time. I'm going camping for a few days anyways so that will help keep my mind off of it.[/quote}

I don't think it has anything to do with the impedance dips of the RF 7II. I have RF 7's and know of many people on the Klipsch Fourm running their HT off the avr. Most of the low impedance problems occurs in the 90 hz to 250 Hz range. It will be interesting to hear what Pioneer finally gives as a possible explanation.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #12 of 884 Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

I have no idea what the issue is, and I doubt I will ever get an explanation. Hopefully the new one works correctly, I just can't explain why the tiny satellite I hooked up didn't have any issue when I hooked it up... Though it didn't seem that loud.

What I can say about my brief time with it is that its a great looking AVR with what looks like a nice build quality in spite of my issues. It has a very nice heft to it, probably weighs about double the old Sony model it is replacing and i can only assume that will translate to a nice increase in power.

post #13 of 884 Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the advice Ejs71! The lack of a manual was the first thing I noticed when I opened the box to check the contents, and I immediately went to Pioneer's site and printed it. wink.gif

I'll definitely use your advice on the set up and let you know how it turns out.

Edit: I meant to quote your post, but hit reply instead. Oops! smile.gif
post #14 of 884 Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Looking for some help with zone 2 using my Pioneer SC-61. I am not able to hear my CD's in zone 2 when I am playing a CD in my sony bluyray player. I have set up with HDMI cable. Maybe I need to change how I have the DVD/CD play hooked up.
post #15 of 884 Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Cool.. Well, if I can help, I'll go ahead and let you know a few things I wish I did when I opened the box.
First. It doesn't come with ANY manuals. It comes with a 2 page lieflet that's a "quick set up guide" .... don't even look at it. Click this link http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-61 and you can donwload it to your computer or iPAd.
Get your stuff hooked up and your speakers in the right positions and the right HDMI's in the outlets you prefer.. and use the Advanced MCACC Set-up guide!!!! It's a setup you use by placing the microphone (that it comes with) on a tripod, and place in the listening postion.. (I put mine on a tri-pod without the legs extended on the couch a little above earlength.) and plug it in to the unit. the rest is history.... It sets up everything for you... it detects how many speakers and which ones your using. (R, L Center, etc..) Detects ambient noise.. (make sure it's quiet in the room), standing waves, channel levels, reverb, speaker size, & distances and sets it all up for you.. it takes about 5 mintues or so.. It starts as soon as you plug in the microphone.
I went back and did a little tweaking after I had it set up a few days. I wanted my rears and sub level to be slightly higher, and adjusted the treble end of on the EQ.

Got everything hooked up last night and used the mic as per your suggestion. Everything went smooth, but I'm going to tweek and fine tune the settings just as you did. It sounds great, but it has my sub and fronts set lower than I'd like. Here are some pics. I'm a little anal when it comes to wire spaghetti so I spent some extra time last night trying to make the install as neat as possible. Not professional by any means, but I'm pleased with the results. smile.gif I also love my new Planet Waves E series HDMI cables with locking clips.

Oh, I watched the opening battle scene of Saving Private Ryan today and it sounded fantastic! That's also when I realized the MCAAC didn't have my sub and fronts set as high as I would like.
post #16 of 884 Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm looking at the SC61 and it does appear very interesting, but I am very confused about power.

I know all the mfgs are fudging how they rate power output, but something caught my eye as I was looking at the owner's manual for this model. It spec'd 7 channels @100wpc, yet the power supply is listed at 290W! OK, I'll bite, how do you get tons more output power out than you put in?

thanks

Lloyd
post #17 of 884 Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin76 View Post

Got everything hooked up last night and used the mic as per your suggestion. Everything went smooth, but I'm going to tweek and fine tune the settings just as you did. It sounds great, but it has my sub and fronts set lower than I'd like. Here are some pics. I'm a little anal when it comes to wire spaghetti so I spent some extra time last night trying to make the install as neat as possible. Not professional by any means, but I'm pleased with the results. smile.gif I also love my new Planet Waves E series HDMI cables with locking clips.

Yeah.. not sure what speakers you're using.. but I'm using bookshelf speakers and a 12" sub. After the MCACC set-up, I though it had my sub turned off, it was so low.. especially on music. turned out it had my speakers set to "Large" instead. So, I wasn't getting any bass unless it was an explosion on a movie..

Also, moved the volume of the sub up a little.. it had it at -4. Had my surrounds just a tad too low.

Ever use the Pioneer iPad app? It's pretty cool.. (FYI, you need a Ethernet line connected to the reciever from your modem)

MY GEAR:

post #18 of 884 Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

I'm looking at the SC61 and it does appear very interesting, but I am very confused about power.
I know all the mfgs are fudging how they rate power output, but something caught my eye as I was looking at the owner's manual for this model. It spec'd 7 channels @100wpc, yet the power supply is listed at 290W! OK, I'll bite, how do you get tons more output power out than you put in?
thanks

actually mine says "simultaneous multi-channel" output is 630 watts. with 7 channels that makes 90 wpc. And that is just at 1Khz.

I wish somebody would bench-test this amp (and the bigger one in the SC-67/68) to find out the true power 20-20,000 both in two channel and multi-channel.

But with that said, it drives my 4 ohm towers very nicely and has never gone into protection even when played loud. So I don't think I need more power than this amp has on tap.

I just wish the standard for specs was a little more consistent and honest.
post #19 of 884 Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Yeah, I wished there was standardization in the specs myself. Makes it a little difficult to tell much from the specs.

And it isn't like manual can't be wrong. I just find it difficult to see how a little 290W power supply can provide that much more output power!

I'm looking at upgrading from my HK AVR247, but I'm not fully committed to doing it yet.

Lloyd
post #20 of 884 Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah.. not sure what speakers you're using.. but I'm using bookshelf speakers and a 12" sub. After the MCACC set-up, I though it had my sub turned off, it was so low.. especially on music. turned out it had my speakers set to "Large" instead. So, I wasn't getting any bass unless it was an explosion on a movie..
Also, moved the volume of the sub up a little.. it had it at -4. Had my surrounds just a tad too low.
Ever use the Pioneer iPad app? It's pretty cool.. (FYI, you need a Ethernet line connected to the reciever from your modem)

My current speakers are Mirage Omnistat floor standing speakers, center and surround accompanied by a Velodyne MiniVee. I plan on upgrading to some Def Tech Mythos in the near future. Here's a pic of what my speakers look like.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/pics/200511_mirage_v2_system.jpg

It set my sub at -4.5, surrounds to -2.5 and fronts to 0 and +1.

I have a Pioneer app for my iPhone but don't have an iPad.
post #21 of 884 Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM

The receiver can't output digital or hdmi out to zone 2 or 3. You can only listen to tuner, pandora and the like, plus i think analog.
post #22 of 884 Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Is there a way to hook up my Blueray/DVD payer both anolog and digital so I can hear my CD's in zone one and two?
post #23 of 884 Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Most players have a L/R analog output (depending on how old it is) or analog outputs (7.1) where if you pick the LF and RF it will output stereo to your receiver - all you need to do is connect them to your CD inputs on the back of your receiver. Make sense?

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #24 of 884 Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Does pandora play at 128k like "in home" audio?
post #25 of 884 Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

I got my replacement SC-61 in last week and am very happy with the purchase. The additional power over my old Sony receiver was very evident on the Klipsch RF-7 II's. I can now listen to 2 channel music with the Klipsch 12D subs off and have a very nice, clear and most importantly - full sound. They were clear before, but lacked the low end where I presume the ohms were dipping and the Sony couldn't keep up. The chassis and front panel appear very robust and look great. There is plenty of volume, I've been watching movies around -15DB and it screams.

I tried a quick MCACC calibration but the result was far too flat for my taste and I haven't had time to go back in and see what I can change to help get it closer to my tastes. It set my RF7 II's at like -7.5db and the RC-64 II center at -9.5db. I currently have no surround speakers (will be ordering either 4 RS-62 II's or 2 RS-62's and 2 RB-81 II bookshelves early next year), so I have no idea why it would have done it this way versus just lowering the center channel to -2db. Anybody?

I'm still reading the manual, got about another 80 pages to go.

post #26 of 884 Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Installed SC-61 today replacing VSX-33. Have problem with hum through ALL 5 Infinity Intermezzo speakers when the receiver is turned OFF. No hum when on. Reinstalled vsx-33 and no hum. Checked all connections and polarity, all good. Can't find any grounding lug or connection point on the SC-61. frown.gif

Also can't get the SC-61 to connect to wired network. Tried static and DHCP IP addresses. Other devices connected to same Netgear switch have no connection problems. frown.gif

Any suggestions?
post #27 of 884 Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
which sub eq works best with the sc-61
post #28 of 884 Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofelves View Post

Nothing much to add except that I've had an SC61 for about a month now. The MCACC has taken a bit to get used to but the dedicated MCACC thread on AVS helps a lot, I definitely recommend it for anyone using it for the first time. It helps to have the Antimode 8033s for the sub freqs.
My stuff;
SC-61
For Theater; Wharfedales (Maple)
Evo2-30 fronts
Evo2 center ('centre' for Brits)
Evo2 10 surrounds
For 2-Channel listening;
Switching out a pair of ACI Jaguar 2000s & ACI Sapphire 25th Anniv Editions. The Jags are stunning.
SVS PC12-Plus w/Antimode 8033s
Panasonic Viera GT50
Apple TV
Micca MPlay-HD
Pioneer Elite PD-F27 CD player
do you run antimode after mcacc or before or does it matter
post #29 of 884 Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Always do the following to get a better result

1. Do the antimode first
2. Measure and set speaker distance and crossover points manually
3. Measure and set speaker level manually using SPL meter
4. Run Auto MCACC (NOT Full Auto MCACC) and choose Front Align so the main speakers are not EQ-ed
DonRSD likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #30 of 884 Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 146
MCACC is pretty accurate on setting speaker leves and distance: it is set more on sound wave travel to the mic than actual feet even though in my system they are the same. The xo point that MCACC picks also takes into account standing waves/ phase control and in room frequency respone. The speaker distance for subs may be different due to the slower nature of bass sound waves and MCACC will make the right adjustments for sub integration into the system.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page