Noob seeking receiver advice . . . - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hate to waste anyone's time, but . . .

I'm in the market for a 7.1 system, not trying to spend much more than $600. I'm looking to drive 2 NHT Absolute towers, the corresponding center channel speaker, and 4 Energy Take Classic satellites. 50/50 music and home theater.

My main criteria are ease of interface, having it not run too hot (like my current receiver, which is a safety hazzard), audio fidelity, not mucking up my TV's PQ in any way, etc. I'm basically trying to figure out what qualitative differences there are between brands at this level. I like the way the Denon looks and am thinking about the 1913 or the 2113.

ANY advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 AM

Liked: 10
I'm in a similar situation. Just bought a 5.1 set of Klipsch and would like a good receiver with possibly upgrading to a 7.1 with tower fronts later. I've found what seems to be great deals on H/K AVR3600's recently (around $450-500). My worry is that it may already be too dated. Something with internet connectivity would be a nice option, but I don't know if it's worth ponying up an extra couple hundred.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

I realize I'm being sort of lazy, but this is where the experts hang out, so . . .
post #4 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Either the Denon 1913 or 2113CI would serve you well, although the 2113CI adds a 3rd year of warranty, uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and has Zone 2 pre-outs if you want to use the AVR to power 7 speakers in the main zone. Review the first few posts in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig for further comparison of the various XX13 models and when ready to purchase, give either AVS Sales or Electronics Expo a "call".

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Any potentially deal-breaking caveats? I hate rushing into things, but I am sick of my current receiver and am very ready to upgrade my entire system.

Are the Denon's reliable? The 3 year warranty sounds appealing. Anything that would make a comparable Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. a better choice? Researching this sort of thing always drives me crazy, so I came here looking for a one-stop advice shop.

Again, big thanks to anyone willing to help out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page