Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You would want the mic at least a few inches above the back of the recliner and then the remaining mic positions within a 2'-3' radius around that same postion and about the same height.

JD, I ended buying the boom stand and the adapter. The cheapest tripod they had in BB was $40 and I got the stand and adapter for $35. Here is a pic of my setup. The recliner I sit in is the one near the steps. I'm going to run Audyssey from 3 different positions, right? Should the positions be:

1.The recliner

2.Between the recliner and the other chair

3.The other chair

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Ouch! Not a great layout to be sure. Wait a minute ... I thought this was your son's bedroom area ... why are you sitting in his recliner? rolleyes.gif If it were me, I would rotate that whole setup 90 degrees to the right and place the additional chair on the left side of the recliner. Regardless of your configuration, read post #30 again (ie. 2nd chair is ignored) and use all 6 mic positions.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #33 of 40 Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ouch! Not a great layout to be sure. Wait a minute ... I thought this was your son's bedroom area ... why are you sitting in his recliner? rolleyes.gif If it were me, I would rotate that whole setup 90 degrees to the right and place the additional chair on the left side of the recliner. Regardless of your configuration, read post #30 again (ie. 2nd chair is ignored) and use all 6 mic positions.

Haha, no, this is my mancave. I'm going to see if I like the Denon and give him my Elite. If I don't like the Denon, I will give it to him. As far as configuration, are you saying I should put the TV against the wall where that 2nd chair is? Here are the actual dimensions of the room:

post #34 of 40 Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM
585-645-1006

Yup .. better separation between the FL and FR speakers with the TV on that side wall. If you are seated 8' from the TV, ideally you want there to be 8' separation between the FL/FR speakers. And although perhaps a little close for you, ideal seating distance from a 40" TV is only 6-8'.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #35 of 40 Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yup .. better separation between the FL and FR speakers with the TV on that side wall. If you are seated 8' from the TV, ideally you want there to be 8' separation between the FL/FR speakers. And although perhaps a little close for you, ideal seating distance from a 40" TV is only 6-8'.

Is this how you want me to set it up? I have a 60" TV, not a 40".

post #36 of 40 Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM
585-645-1006

First, understand you should set it up whichever way is more convenient for you. What I am suggesting is to have your recliner straight across from the TV (as the primary viewer) with the other chair off to the side a bit. If there are two of you viewing the TV together at all times, then place the two chairs together straight across from the TV. Also, you're not likely going to want to place the sub tucked away as you have shown, rather it will be up front along the same wall as the TV and FL/FR speakers, although you can do a subwoofer crawl to determine the ideal location.

post #37 of 40 Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

JD, I have a couple questions. When you say you would like the recliner in front of the TV, are you saying to move the TV so it lines up with the recliner, or move the recliner to line up with the TV? If I move the recliner, it will be blocking that stairwell and bathroom door. You said the sub is not in a good spot in that cutout. I read that a good spot for a sub is in a corner with at least 6' of wall on both sides. If I move the sub to the other corner in that cutout, that will give me the 6' on both sides. Do you think that would still be a bad spot? And finally, my rear surrounds are the Boston Acoustics VSR Micro's which are omnidirectional. If I mount them on the back wall, they will be facing left to right, and should be facing front to back. Any idea how I can mount them to face the right way? Here's what the rear speakers look like:

sy1idd.jpg
post #38 of 40 Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 AM
585-645-1006

Whereever you place the TV, the recliner should ideally be smack dab in the middle of the TV. Normally, most guys have to live with the wife's decision as to where the sub can go, however, as this is your "man cave" suggest you do the sub crawl to determine the best placement. In a 5.1 setup, the SL/SR speakers are ideally placed at the "sides" of the main listening position facing the main listening position. Placing them to the rear is a personal choice, although normally only for the SBL/SBR speakers in a 7.1 setup.

post #39 of 40 Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Whereever you place the TV, the recliner should ideally be smack dab in the middle of the TV. Normally, most guys have to live with the wife's decision as to where the sub can go, however, as this is your "man cave" suggest you do the sub crawl to determine the best placement. In a 5.1 setup, the SL/SR speakers are ideally placed at the "sides" of the main listening position facing the main listening position. Placing them to the rear is a personal choice, although normally only for the SBL/SBR speakers in a 7.1 setup.

JD, I am aware that the surround speakers should be on the sides of the main listening area. I have them in that position in my current setup. Take a look at the bottom diagram that I made up of your suggested setup. See the walls that the 2 chairs are against? That would be the only logical place to mount the rear speakers and they would be even with the main listening position. If you look at the picture of my rear speakers, if I mount them on the wall, the sound will be firing to the left and right, instead of front to back. Do you see what I'm concerned about? I guess I could mount them to the ceiling so they fire front to back, but I was always under the impression that they should be mounted at ear level height, or close to it, no?
post #40 of 40 Old 09-16-2012, 11:37 AM
585-645-1006

Side surrounds are ideally placed at 2'-3' above ear height. Suggest you try temporary placement of these speakers in various locations and select the one that sounds best to you, noting you generally don't want the SL/SR speakers much farther apart than are the FL/FR speakers.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page