Struggling with Yamaha RX-A 3010 Error (W1: out of phase) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, New to these forums as well as home theater set up, very much appreciate your guidance and help.

Back ground:
I just bought a Yamaha RX-A 3010 from best buy (display model). This thing came with a Big remote only but no small remote was given. I also did not get the original mic and FM and AM antenna's as well. The mic they gave me has a Yamaha logo but it is not original one (I know because I saw RX-A 2010 mic).

Problem:
Coming to Auto configuration: I tried with this mic and looks to be working fine and also gave an error stating "W1: out of phase". During the YPAO set up measurement, my sub sounds so low and sometimes only like crackling noise. After measurement, I went to manual set up and then to test tones, there is absolutely no sound coming from the sub woofer. The Subwoofer sound is set at +6db on the receiver by YPAO and the sub woofer volume is at 65% during the testing mode. I also tried 3 cables one of which includes a shielded RCA cable but no reaction. I also tested by playing Incredible hulk but there is no sound coming from the sub woofer. I also touched the sub woofer to feel the vibration but no vibration at all. BTW, All the speakers are audible during testing tones.

I think the subwoofer is working because

1. when I touch the end of the RCA cable it makes a huge THUD sound which is really scary and also hurts the ears.
2. I connected the sub woofer's RCA cable (after removing from the back of the receiver) in the analog inputs present in the back of the Blu-ray player and I can feel the vibration on the subwoofer as well as hear the sound to some extent.

I am sorry for this big write up. I feel stuck. Please kindly help

My home theater set up:

3 x Klipsch Gallery G-28 (Front: Right, Center and Left)
4 x Klipsch Gallery G-16 (surround left and right + Surround Back Left and right)
1 x sub woofer Klipsch SW311

Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I would suggest re running YPAO after re confirming the speaker wires are correct. As a side note I'd reccomend using as many measurments as the 3010 will allow.
I've had an error code and after re running it shows proper phase.
I'd also spend a few bucks on a proper sub cable. When I went from a $20 cable to a $60 cable the quality of the base improved without any other tweaking.
This forum has many tricks and tips for sub set up but you should start by following the 3010's manual for sub settings.
Be sure to follow the advice plastered here about setting all of your speakers to small and start with your crossover at 80.
These few things make large difference.
Tweak from there...

2015 it is.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Noob too

2015 it is.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I will follow all your suggestions.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturoses View Post

Hi All, New to these forums as well as home theater set up, very much appreciate your guidance and help.
Back ground:
I just bought a Yamaha RX-A 3010 from best buy (display model). This thing came with a Big remote only but no small remote was given. I also did not get the original mic and FM and AM antenna's as well. The mic they gave me has a Yamaha logo but it is not original one (I know because I saw RX-A 2010 mic).

Problem:
Coming to Auto configuration: I tried with this mic and looks to be working fine and also gave an error stating "W1: out of phase". During the YPAO set up measurement, my sub sounds so low and sometimes only like crackling noise. After measurement, I went to manual set up and then to test tones, there is absolutely no sound coming from the sub woofer. The Subwoofer sound is set at +6db on the receiver by YPAO and the sub woofer volume is at 65% during the testing mode. I also tried 3 cables one of which includes a shielded RCA cable but no reaction. I also tested by playing Incredible hulk but there is no sound coming from the sub woofer. I also touched the sub woofer to feel the vibration but no vibration at all. BTW, All the speakers are audible during testing tones.
I think the subwoofer is working because
1. when I touch the end of the RCA cable it makes a huge THUD sound which is really scary and also hurts the ears.
2. I connected the sub woofer's RCA cable (after removing from the back of the receiver) in the analog inputs present in the back of the Blu-ray player and I can feel the vibration on the subwoofer as well as hear the sound to some extent.
I am sorry for this big write up. I feel stuck. Please kindly help
My home theater set up:
3 x Klipsch Gallery G-28 (Front: Right, Center and Left)
4 x Klipsch Gallery G-16 (surround left and right + Surround Back Left and right)
1 x sub woofer Klipsch SW311
Is there anything that I am doing wrong?
Thanks to all.

You should get a decent volume of "thump" from the sub when you're running YPAO. But it may be that you've gotten used to really hot bass from your former setup, and expect more than is represented by a flat frequency response. ??

Go into setup->speakers->configuration and make sure that the SUB 1 tab is highlighted. (That means the sub should be receiving a signal from the receiver.) If not, turn it (the tab) on.

Also note that YPAO is famous for giving out of W1 phase error messages. If you're certain that the speaker is wired correctly to the receiver, I would ignore it.

If all else fails, as brwsaw suggested...rerun YPAO.

Lastly, I've had several Yamaha receivers (including the 3010). The mic on all of them is the same. So you likely have mic that should work.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 16
I would add one more thing:

Make sure the subwoofer is plugged into the PRE OUT (Front) Subwoofer and NOT into the MULTI CH INPUT Subwoofer.

I've done that myself.

As was said, the subwoofer is not very loud when YPAO is run. Sometime I feel for a vibration from the cabinet or speaker.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you all , kind of busy with work and will try to follow and implement your instructions to enjoy the real effects.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You might try running a phase test.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags