Onkyo problems? HDMI, overheating problems etc - vote here to let Onkyo know what you think! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Given the problems you have had with your x007 series Onkyo unit, would you buy Onkyo again? Tick al
Yes, I would still choose Onkyo again 30 16.22%
No, I would definitely not choose Onkyo again 40 21.62%
Maybe - if Onkyo can reassure me that future units will not have similar problems 58 31.35%
No - I would buy a Denon next time 22 11.89%
No - I would buy a Pioneer next time 3 1.62%
No - I would buy a Marantz next time 7 3.78%
No - I would buy a Sony next time 1 0.54%
No - I would buy another brand next time (not specified) 24 12.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 77 Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 1780

The purpose of this thread is to create a Poll where Onkyo owners - especially (but not restricted to) owners of the x007/x008 series - who have had problems with their units can make their feelings known.

The x007/x008 series has had numerous problems caused by faulty HDMI boards and other issues, known to Onkyo for some time. To be fair to Onkyo, they have stepped up to the plate and are repairing many units free of charge even when the units are out of warranty. But this still leaves owners without their units for some time - a long time in some cases as parts seem difficult to come by - and this is a source of immense frustration. People have paid a lot of money for speakers, displays etc and are obviously unable to use them when their AVR - the heart of their system - is not working or is away for prolonged repairs.

If you wish to vote on other ONKYO units besides the x007/x008, then please do so. By all means add your comments in a post if you wish to elaborate on your choice of response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Reserved

post #3 of 77 Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Reserved

post #4 of 77 Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After my 1008 failed, I immediately gave Onkyo another chance and bought a HT-RC370.
Now the 370 is still working fine, and I am contemplating whether I should get a 818.
post #5 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Voted option 3.

Although I know that no company can ensure that their equipment is 100% bug-free, my decision to continue with Onkyo avr's or pre-pros will depend on 2 things:

1) How Onkyo handles the warranty on my 5008 that is currently in for service. My warranty is up in a couple of months. This repair should be covered, but the issue I have is NOT the recall issue with the ribbon cable, that Onkyo claims it will rectify, even if the unit is outside the warranty period. Hopefully, it comes back in perfect working order (it was great until it developed this recent problem that as begun cropping up. Everything's always great till something malfunctions, but I really had no problems with the unit till this issue popped up), but if it's still problematic and falls outside the warranty, I'll see how they handle the issue where the problems began inside of the warranty period

Any company can make a mistake with their products, it's whether they stand behind their equipment that divides the good ones from the companies to avoid like the plague.

2) I was planning on getting an Onkyo pre-pro in the future (was thinking about a 5510, but there is no such thing and the 5509 never made it to NA). Was considering giving an Onkyo with Audyssey Pro a try, but they decided to release the equipment Pro-ready EVERYWHERE else in the world EXCEPT NA and restrict Audyssey Pro the Integra line in NA. If they continue on this track, I'll be getting a pre-pro/avr from somewhere else.

Max
post #6 of 77 Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

2) I was planning on getting an Onkyo pre-pro in the future (was thinking about a 5510, but there is no such thing and the 5509 never made it to NA). Was considering giving an Onkyo with Audyssey Pro a try, but they decided to release the equipment Pro-ready EVERYWHERE else in the world EXCEPT NA and restrict Audyssey Pro the Integra line in NA. If they continue on this track, I'll be getting a pre-pro/avr from somewhere else.

Max

Even though I love my 5509 and have had three previous Onks, I agree with your conclusion there. Bad move to make the 5010, 3010, 5009, 3009 all Pro-ready in the EU and Asia but not in the States. Even I was a little ticked off here in the UK about their decision because I bought my 5509 specifically to a) get XT32 and b) to be Pro ready. Turns out I could have bought a 5009 for less money, used the preouts to drive my amps and had 9 channels of amplification 'in reserve' should I ever need them. But Onkyo Europe didn't reveal that the 5009 would be Pro ready until well after the release of the 5509. HST, I am delighted with my 5509 and intend to keep it for quite some time (all being well). WRT to Audyssey Pro, it's not cheap, but it does make a difference, albeit a subtle one, and it gives you a lot more control thanks to the ability to edit the curve etc. I consider my cake to be truly iced. 

post #7 of 77 Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also went with option 3... and it is a HUGE maybe... specially since they have had multiple problems with the X009 line also. The problems with the X008's went all the way up thru the Integra line, and doesn't speak very well for their QC.
Depends really on when/if my 708 fails again and what I canget for a replacement at what cost. Onkyos are the most feature rich AVR for the bucks, but all those bells and whistles don't mean a whole lot if your unit is not in the rack and on the service repair centers' work bench. The only thing I am positive about my next AVR... it will be a 9 channel model, so it won't be cheap... and that means I will be very selective when it comes to what my hard earned dolllars will be spent on!
post #8 of 77 Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Also went with option 3... and it is a HUGE maybe... specially since they have had multiple problems with the X009 line also. The problems with the X008's went all the way up thru the Integra line, and doesn't speak very well for their QC.
Depends really on when/if my 708 fails again and what I canget for a replacement at what cost. Onkyos are the most feature rich AVR for the bucks, but all those bells and whistles don't mean a whole lot if your unit is not in the rack and on the service repair centers' work bench. The only thing I am positive about my next AVR... it will be a 9 channel model, so it won't be cheap... and that means I will be very selective when it comes to what my hard earned dolllars will be spent on!

Agreed. Although do remember that Onkyo are  absolutely huge - they have shipped 7 million AVRs since they entered the market some time back - and they are the No 1 in the UK and France (35% market share in the UK) and No 2 in Germany. I don't have any data for the USA but they will be No 1 or 2 there for sure. So it may be that the faults represent a small percentage of units shipped. Even on AVS, where these things get reported readily, most users have no problems (I am on my 4th Onkyo for example and have never had an issue so far - knock on wood).

Of course none of the above is any consolation if *your* unit is in the shop and not in your rack, as you say. Currently I am using the 5509 processor with external amps and it's all good so far.

post #9 of 77 Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Liked: 14
I have a Onkyo 3008 and have had no problems and I have upgraded to the latest firmware.I use my Emotiva Amps[Xpa-2,Xpa-5] and use full video pass through and the back of unit still gets REAL HOT.I have added a fan on the back half and the 3008 still is very hot to touch.The 3008 is Not in a cabinet and sits on top off my rack.The heat has to a problem for the boards inside the unit so I will sell before my 3008 has to be shipped to Onkyo.The 3008 plys fine and sounds great BUT I am very nervous about future problems. Bruce

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #10 of 77 Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Agreed. Although do remember that Onkyo are  absolutely huge - they have shipped 7 million AVRs since they entered the market some time back - and they are the No 1 in the UK and France (35% market share in the UK) and No 2 in Germany. I don't have any data for the USA but they will be No 1 or 2 there for sure. So it may be that the faults represent a small percentage of units shipped. Even on AVS, where these things get reported readily, most users have no problems (I am on my 4th Onkyo for example and have never had an issue so far - knock on wood).

Of course none of the above is any consolation if *your* unit is in the shop and not in your rack, as you say. Currently I am using the 5509 processor with external amps and it's all good so far.

I Have had my 808 for over 2 years. I bought it before all the problems with this line starting showing up in these forums. (I would not have bought an Onkyo if I had known about these issues beforehand) However my 808 has been flawless and it runs about 6 hours a day.
The impression I get from these forums is that it is only a matter of time before my unit will fail. But how accurate Is this statement or as you say, with the volume on units sold, this may represent only a very small percentage of units will have have problems. Would anyone have any idea of the actual failure rate on these units? Is it 1 percent, 10 percent, 50 or higher? Could I have some piece of mind and say that the chances of my unit will fail is very very low?, or should I get my bill of sale and Onkyo's service # handy when the day will come and my 808 starts having these problems?
post #11 of 77 Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeelik View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I Have had my 808 for over 2 years. I bought it before all the problems with this line starting showing up in these forums. (I would not have bought an Onkyo if I had known about these issues beforehand) However my 808 has been flawless and it runs about 6 hours a day.
The impression I get from these forums is that it is only a matter of time before my unit will fail. But how accurate Is this statement or as you say, with the volume on units sold, this may represent only a very small percentage of units will have have problems. Would anyone have any idea of the actual failure rate on these units? Is it 1 percent, 10 percent, 50 or higher? Could I have some piece of mind and say that the chances of my unit will fail is very very low?, or should I get my bill of sale and Onkyo's service # handy when the day will come and my 808 starts having these problems?

Don't know the percentage failure rate, sorry. I doubt Onkyo would ever release that sort of information TBH. Remember that forums like this may attract a higher percentage of people with problems than 'at large'. First thing you do if you have a problem?  Probably google the problem and then end up somewhere like here. As there's no way to say what may happen on an individual unit, I’d just put it out of my mind, sit back and enjoy my system. And I'd keep the paperwork handy just in case one day you might need it...

post #12 of 77 Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Yep, there are known problems with some of these units, but what percentage that accounts for vs. total units sold is unknown. The simple truth is, aside from the relatively small percentage of buyers who are a/v enthusiasts and frequent forums like this as part of their interests/hobbies, MOST people just buy it and use it. As long as it keeps working fine, you never hear from them.

It's when people experience problems that they look for solutions and find places like this. i.e. discussions of problems with a specific item attract the folks having problems (due to the nature of search engines, and the aforementioned natural tendencies). You therefore get a somewhat skewed view of the failure/malfunction rate.

I haven't yet experienced the ribbon cable problem others have had. Instead, I discovered a new one that seems to be cropping up amongst units that are approaching the 2 years of usage mark. Sent it in for it and haven't gotten it back yet. Up until it developed the problem, it was great. Fantastic sound, did what I wanted etc., but in the back of my mind, I'll be wondering if I might get hit by the other bug that has hit other xxx8 owners.

Max
post #13 of 77 Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Yep, there are known problems with some of these units, but what percentage that accounts for vs. total units sold is unknown. The simple truth is, aside from the relatively small percentage of buyers who are a/v enthusiasts and frequent forums like this as part of their interests/hobbies, MOST people just buy it and use it. As long as it keeps working fine, you never hear from them.
It's when people experience problems that they look for solutions and find places like this. i.e. discussions of problems with a specific item attract the folks having problems (due to the nature of search engines, and the aforementioned natural tendencies). You therefore get a somewhat skewed view of the failure/malfunction rate.

Like the thread-starter said, it's not so much that a company is having failure problems, because every manufacturer is going to have issues with its players, it's just the way in which Onkyo has been handling these issues.

I remember reading headache after headache in these forums, particularly with the TX-NR807. Onkyo just seems to be making things difficult for their owners.
post #14 of 77 Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Like the thread-starter said, it's not so much that a company is having failure problems, because every manufacturer is going to have issues with its players, it's just the way in which Onkyo has been handling these issues.
I remember reading headache after headache in these forums, particularly with the TX-NR807. Onkyo just seems to be making things difficult for their owners.

It takes a long time to get Onkyo to recognize whatever hardware difficulties we have are indeed major problems.
But it seems Onkyo isn't the only company with denial problems...
post #15 of 77 Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Liked: 12
It takes a long time to get Onkyo to recognize whatever hardware difficulties we have are indeed major problems.
But it seems Onkyo isn't the only company with denial problems...

If that last statement is true then from your mouth to God's ears.....I had the 606 and heard the same complaints..If the least Onkyo did was improve the customer service in the last few years then im a maybe category also. Ive been an onkyo supporter for years, but lets be real..the onkyo you bought in 1990 isnt the the one you bought in 2012. Strangely enough i see a lot of old Onkyos in Lounges/bars still going strong while these newer ones are clanking out. I mean x007's and x008's conking out? At that price we pay we should be getting 5 year warranties, not 2! Ive been ok on my 3007 knock on wood but had the misfortune of owning an XBR4. So i know about warranty replacements. Do remember though, people on these forums are mostly those with issues.
post #16 of 77 Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

I have a Onkyo 3008 and have had no problems and I have upgraded to the latest firmware.I use my Emotiva Amps[Xpa-2,Xpa-5] and use full video pass through and the back of unit still gets REAL HOT.I have added a fan on the back half and the 3008 still is very hot to touch.The 3008 is Not in a cabinet and sits on top off my rack.The heat has to a problem for the boards inside the unit so I will sell before my 3008 has to be shipped to Onkyo.The 3008 plys fine and sounds great BUT I am very nervous about future problems. Bruce

Recently, my 3008 started having the dreaded heat related issues after 18 months of play. I had hoped I would be in the clear because I always used external amps and never played it to any extreme volume. That was not the case. It is going to a service center next week , while I still have a little warranty left. Then it will be sold off or kept as a spare.

Meanwhile, I took a HUGE leap of faith and bought a 3010. So far, it has worked flawlessly out of the box, and sounds wonderful. I have also invested in a small fan from the CoolerGuys. any advice here?
carageuw likes this.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #17 of 77 Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My Onkyo TX-SR707 died for the second time yesterday.

First time it was repaired by warranty.

Now I am out of warranty, and have no choice, but to buy a new receiver.

Class action lawsuit would be nice.

Wrong thread, sorry guys, but I am so frustrated..

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #18 of 77 Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

Recently, my 3008 started having the dreaded heat related issues after 18 months of play. I had hoped I would be in the clear because I always used external amps and never played it to any extreme volume. That was not the case. It is going to a service center next week , while I still have a little warranty left. Then it will be sold off or kept as a spare.
Meanwhile, I took a HUGE leap of faith and bought a 3010. So far, it has worked flawlessly out of the box, and sounds wonderful. I have also invested in a small fan from the CoolerGuys. any advice here?
I beleive they cleaned most of the heat issues after the 3008 series.The 3009 seems to have less heat problems but I can not confirm.I think the Denon 4311SI would be a good replacement for the 3008 series for the heat problems.My 3008 sounds great for music and movies but I am still nervous when THAT DAY will come to send unit to Onyko.I hope your 3010 is a lot cooler as the fan will help.Onkyo should offer shutting of Amps if one uses outside Amps so that would help the heat.I run my 3008 full pass through for video so the boards stay a little cooler.

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #19 of 77 Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM

I decided to put the USB port to good use by adding a Thermaltake laptop cooler on top of it...
post #20 of 77 Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

I decided to put the USB port to good use by adding a Thermaltake laptop cooler on top of it...

These units seem somewhat similar to the cooling fans from CoolGuys guys except they have a blue LED accent light. Do you believe there are of higher quality or run more quietly? I'd be interested in seeing which one you are using for your Onkyo unit. Thanks.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #21 of 77 Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

These units seem somewhat similar to the cooling fans from CoolGuys guys except they have a blue LED accent light. Do you believe there are of higher quality or run more quietly? I'd be interested in seeing which one you are using for your Onkyo unit. Thanks.

Thermaltake Massive 23 ST。。。the same model I use for my laptop, the noise is not bad...
post #22 of 77 Old 10-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

Thermaltake Massive 23 ST。。。the same model I use for my laptop, the noise is not bad...

Does this model support a USB connector. I can't tell from the photos.

post #23 of 77 Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Does this model support a USB connector. I can't tell from the photos.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1135&ID=1882#Tab1
post #24 of 77 Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I use the AV Cabinet Cooling.com as this fan is totaly quiet and has a Thermostat which sits on top of my 3008 along with the fan.It has setting on which the fan comes for heat and keeps my 3008 much cooler. I purchased mine on Ebay but this is their web site.The person makes these fans by hand for each order and does a fantastic job.Please check this fan system out.

post #25 of 77 Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Thank you. I'll take a look at that site. smile.gif

post #26 of 77 Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Site is currently down. I've seen The Cooler Guys site and a few ebay stores that sell kits with thermostats and digital readouts.

Link to gear list:  

post #27 of 77 Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM

Actually, it's not a regular website but an eBay store. You'll find them there.

post #28 of 77 Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So far we've had 68 votes which is encouraging but not enough to form a conclusion of any sort. If everyone could mention this thread to other Onkyo owners in the various other threads. especially owners who have had problems, it may help get the votes to a more meaningful level. Thanks!

post #29 of 77 Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
I put my TX-NR807 in the shop yesterday for a one time out of warranty repair. They said it would take 2 to 3 weeks before I'd get it back. I'm happy Onkyo is willing to fix it out of warranty but considering
it's a design flaw with quite a number of them failing I think it's the right thing to do. I had owned a TX-NR805 previously and the display went out one week before the warranty ended and had it repaired.
That was also a design flaw with many of the 805's. A couple of months later it wouldn't power up. I think most people in my shoes would decide to dump Onkyo. I purchased a Marantz SR7005. Made in Japan
and has a 3 year warranty. I will give the Onkyo to my son after it gets repaired.

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:

post #30 of 77 Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
To be fair to onkyo and to show others that not all onkyo units fail, but provide many years of trouble free service for there owners. You should have a list of models with trouble free operation.
Its to bad that onkyo has its defects but I bet the overall % is low, but we should find this out, but if you make the polls one sided we'll never know.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page