The new Harman Kardon AVR1700 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
joeshmoe the idea behind a home theater receiver is to run everything thru the receiver. i can't imagine why you'd want to complicate thing running hdmi to your tv and sound back to the receiver. that's how we had to do it in the 80s before avr's. i get a 1080p pop up window on my tv when ever the video decoders finalize the signal. bluray, netflix and hbo menus are not 1080p, when the movies start the 1080p pop up flashes for a bit.

to get 5 channel stereo go into the set up functions with the osd and select 5 channel stereo.

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe27 View Post

Can anyone definitively answer the following?:

1. Can running HDMI through the AVR 1700 (or AVRs in general for that matter) result in any loss of picture quality? I have tried testing it by switching back and forth with the same movie scenes, and I can't be sure but it seems there might be additional blurring of image with motion, especially fast motion, but very little to no difference in a still picture; I also thought I noticed a slight increase in the delay/frozen picture when changing cable television channels - do either of these sound possible or even likely? Has anyone experienced this? The fact that I can barely notice a difference suggests I might be looking for something where there's nothing and also that, if there is loss of picture quality, it obviously is not very noticeable. Still would bother me a little knowing I might not be getting the best possible picture.

2. If I do NOT run HDMI through the AVR, but instead go directly to the TV (Samsung Smart LED TV) and run an optical audio cable back out of the TVto the AVR, is it true that I will NOT be able to get true surround sound? I've seen conflicting opinions, and I have tried both ways and I'm unable to tell the difference (complete novice when it comes to home theatre and audio systems).

My preference would be to run HDMI for cable, Blue Ray, and PS3 directly to the TV but I don't want to lose the surround sound.

3. For now I have settled on HDMI through the AVR, and I can't seem to get 5-channel stereo for basic cable stations - am I missing something?

That's it for now. Apologies for the novice-type questions, appreciate your thoughts.smile.gif

1. It is possible you could lose picture quality but I haven't had that experience. The delay when changing channels is a definite possibility because DirecTV kept doing firmware updates which affected 1080p signals with my Denon receiver. Once they provided a stable update everything has been fine. Seems you have cable so that may not be a problem for you.

2. If you run your blu ray and PS3 thru the TV and output thru the TV's optical out, usually the signal is converted to 2 channel stereo. That means you'd lose the uncompressed 5.1 audio (TrueHD and DTS-MA) and even regular Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. That would be a huge difference to me and not acceptable.

3. According to the manual on page 22-23 you press the OSD button and then select Surround Mode. Then choose stereo and you should have an option of 2 channel or 5 channel stereo. What mode are you getting now?
If you don't have the manual you can get it here.
http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/AVR1700_OM_EN.pdf

Afro GT
Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right, you don't want to run an optical out from the tv. If you run an optical direct from a blu ray player you will get 5.1 Dolby digital but not Dolby digital plus or DD true hd... that data needs to travel through an hdmi cable.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
I bought this 3 weeks ago and I love it. Airplay is kickass

I am a bit frustrated trying to figure out which sound modes I prefer for each different source, and I don't have a subwoofer yet (got ruined int a flood). I find myself switching and adjusting speaker settings more often than I should be.

I have two questions, but first things first, I will get to the second when I solve this one..
I am having no luck with the H/K Android App. I just cannot see the recever on my Galaxy S2, refresh, uninstall, reboot, reset network, nothin, any advice?

Any help is appreciated..
Neal
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

3. According to the manual on page 22-23 you press the OSD button and then select Surround Mode. Then choose stereo and you should have an option of 2 channel or 5 channel stereo. What mode are you getting now?
If you don't have the manual you can get it here.
http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/AVR1700_OM_EN.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post

to get 5 channel stereo go into the set up functions with the osd and select 5 channel stereo.

5 channel was available to me previously but for some reason now it is not - 2 channel is the only option. I have hdmi running into the hdmi1 port and out to the tv. Any idea what the problem could be?

Appreciate your replies, I'm going to stick with running the hdmi through the AVR for all video.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM

JoeShmoe, you may have inadvertently turned off those speakers. Make sure that they are turned to on in the set up menu. You may also be watching a source which is not in 5.1 which is the more likely event. View a newer broadcast show in HD and see what happens. If you are watching standard definition it may revert to 2 channel. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 12
Just a heads up info post::
If you were ever to need a replacement or want to know the price on the HK-1700 remote,

- Harmon Kardon Official website
- Currently on Backorder.
- The part is called: REMOCON CARTAVR1700-HK.
- The Part # is: CARTAVR1700-HK
- The price is a whopping $47.08 each, plus shipping and handling (For U.S. based customers only)

Bottom line... Take care of this particular remote if it's your only infrared device
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
or buy a 2nd avr1700 for the 2nd remote...
no more remote wars

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM

I want to replace my 50 watt HK 247 with this 100 watt 1700.

I currently have the RM6570 5.1 speaker set up and have never been happy with it in a room my size. 13X17 with two open walls.

Question: Would 100 watts really make a difference over 50 watts?
And

If I replace my L and R with Polk TSi200 and my center with a C10 would 50 watt do it justice or do I really need to upgrade to 100W?

How much a difference will 100w make over 50w?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM

I want to replace my 50 watt HK 247 with the 100 watt 1700.

I currently have the RM6570 5.1 speaker set up and have never been happy with it in a room my size. 13X17 with two open walls.

And

If I replace my L and R with Polk TSi200 and my center with a C10 would 50 watt do it justice or do I really need to upgrade to 100W?

TH
Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just thought I would share my experiences and thoughts about the avr 1700. First, for $199 this receiver is a steal and the sound quality will blow about any receiver under $500 out of the water. Personally I had some issues thought. First one I had would lose sound while watching a movie and I would have to switch to another input and back to get my sound back. A few days later, the HDMI board died so I exchanged it for another one at Best Buy. The second one, the networking didn't stay connected (first one, the networking was fine). I was going to exchange it for a third due to the audio performance, I was willing to stick with it but a friend of mine purchased a new receiver and sold me his perfectly working Onkyo TX-SR805 for $200 so I just went with the Onk. The 805 is just in another league compared to the 1700 but we're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM

I did order an extender cable from monoprice, and will be receiving in a few days. But im curious if this is going to solve my problem???
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM

I do have an Iphone, and downloaded the app.... It works great, but was wanting the convenience of the remote control as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerr71 View Post

I want to replace my 50 watt HK 247 with the 100 watt 1700.

And

TH

To help you with your question, the biggest improvement in upgrading from the 247 to the 1700 is the ability to decode the newer Dolby TRUEHD and DTS Master codecs found on blu rays. The power between the two units would actually be similar believe it or not. The 247 is rated at 50 watts all channels driven with 35 amps and the 1700 is 95 watts with two channels driven with 34 amps. Upgrading simply for more power wouldn't be worth it but the newer decoders, more hdmi inputs, and networking features would be worth it especially for the price. Their wattage ratings are measured differently but the current behind the watts is close to equal. Think of amplifier power like the power of a car engine. Watts is like horsepower and amperage is like torque. A car with a lot of horsepower is great as long as it has the torque to back up the horsepower. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM

Need some help getting this AVR set-up on my home network. Can someone detail the steps to get the unit online? Can you do everything wirelessly or do you need a hard line from the router? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorSteve13 View Post

Need some help getting this AVR set-up on my home network. Can someone detail the steps to get the unit online? Can you do everything wirelessly or do you need a hard line from the router? Thanks!

The only thing needed to get the unit online is plug a CAT5 cable in from your router or a wireless bridge. It can't hurt to peek in your OSD menu and just verify that the network settings are "auto". If you want to configure anything, that is the place to do it. If you make any changes, hit "apply and save".
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM

Greetings- just picked up my new- out of the box- shelf display AVR 1700 for a terrific price of $184 and some change- I had to go up the Best Buy manager ladder to get the last one in the SF Bay area pretty much. Lo and behold, they bubble wrapped it up for me, have a 30 day return on it and have yet to power her up. I have the same question as the last poster- is there a way to use a wireless adapter with this unit ? My HK AVR 1700 is way across my living room and my wireless router is on the other side- way too far to run a wire- any suggestions? many thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Many thanks for the link! Probably will return soon to the thread as I configure the system:)
Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriven07 View Post

Hi all,

I picked up this receiver a few days ago and it will not output 1080p. I've tried connecting a Sony blu ray player and an Xbox 360. It will display 1080i and lower, but not 1080p. I've confirmed that all cables are good and my TV is a 2012 Samsung - definitely supports 1080p. After spending hours trying to troubleshoot, I returned it and exchanged it for another unit. Same exact problem. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is there something I'm missing?

I am having the exact same problem. My HD channels don't look HD and will sometimes output them in 780 or 1080i, but never in 1080p. I just switched from a Panasonic HTIB and never had this problem. Please help. My wife won't stop pestering me since i decided to buy the 1700 when the HTIB was working just fine.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 12
Code:
Check your AVR settings that its enabled to display 1080p output. I have three av sources connected to my AVR 1700. The wdtv smp, Sony blu-ray player and dishnetwork receiver. Both wdtv and the blu-ray player can output 1080p. My tv is Samsung 55un6000, which I got in 2010. Btw, network channels are never in 1080p format, they are either in 720p or 1080i format. The receiver can make them 1080p though.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
For what its worth, my DVR box is set to output only 1080P, my xbox also only set to display only 1080P

I noticed the other day that my 1700 was displaying 1080i as well as my TV was.. I got a little worried after reading a few posts and started doing some testing.. I'm just going to assume that the 1700 is smart enough to realize the actual signal coming in to it. When im watching standard content on my DirecTV DVR, even though the DVR is showing a 1080P output, the receiver is only showing as well as my tv is only showing 1080i, but if I go to one of the DirecTV 1080P movie channels it switches to 1080P on the receiver/tv

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 AM

corchid, thanks for the info. I absolutely agree on the decoder upgrades, hdmi port # and other features, that alone is reason enough.

Right now my PS3 decodes and I am unsure of any performance loss. Does allowing the receiver to decode rather than the PS3 make a difference? I believe my PS3 is set to bitstreaming, it is one of the fatter models. I was always under the impression that getting a receiver to do the decoding would improve the quality.

So not a real difference between 50 watts and 100watts? Someone told me my rm6750's would sound much better with a 100w amp rather than my 50 w.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Moritz View Post

I bought this 3 weeks ago and I love it. Airplay is kickass

I am a bit frustrated trying to figure out which sound modes I prefer for each different source, and I don't have a subwoofer yet (got ruined int a flood). I find myself switching and adjusting speaker settings more often than I should be.

I have two questions, but first things first, I will get to the second when I solve this one..
I am having no luck with the H/K Android App. I just cannot see the recever on my Galaxy S2, refresh, uninstall, reboot, reset network, nothin, any advice?

Any help is appreciated..
Neal

Neal,
I am having the same problem with the Remote App on my iPhone, would be terrific if I could get it to work, but it fails to see the receiver. All the other Network function work, as well as Airplay, so am at a loss as to where to look for a fix. Has anyone had this problem and been able to solve?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM

Actually if the PS3 is set for bitstreaming, it is sending the signal for the receiver to decode, not the PS3 to decode. A true 50 watts vs 100 watts equals only to 3db of more sound. The AVR 1700 will NOT output 100 watts all channels driven at once, it is not rated to do so if you read the specs carefully. It's power is rated with 2 channels driven, not 5 channels driven like your AVR 247. Judging by that and the similar amperage ratings, they're probably equal as I said previously. If you want a TRUE 100 watt per channel receiver, you're going to have to spend around $1,000 or more to get one that can do at least 100 watts all channels driven. You would notice a big difference in sound between the AVR 1700 and a $1,000 receiver obviously. I made an earlier post describing my experiences with the AVR 1700. I would have kept it but I was able to buy a higher end Onkyo receiver from a buddy of mine that produces 130 watts with all channels driven and there was a huge difference in sound versus the 1700. But there we're comparing a $499 receiver with a $1,099 receiver. So yes, your Polk speakers would probably sound better with a true 100 watt receiver, not necessarily the AVR 1700. The good news is that you shouldn't lose any sound quality and be able to gain all the modern features the AVR 1700 offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerr71 View Post

corchid, thanks for the info. I absolutely agree on the decoder upgrades, hdmi port # and other features, that alone is reason enough.

Right now my PS3 decodes and I am unsure of any performance loss. Does allowing the receiver to decode rather than the PS3 make a difference? I believe my PS3 is set to bitstreaming, it is one of the fatter models. I was always under the impression that getting a receiver to do the decoding would improve the quality.

So not a real difference between 50 watts and 100watts? Someone told me my rm6750's would sound much better with a 100w amp rather than my 50 w.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by davboy View Post

Neal,
I am having the same problem with the Remote App on my iPhone, would be terrific if I could get it to work, but it fails to see the receiver. All the other Network function work, as well as Airplay, so am at a loss as to where to look for a fix. Has anyone had this problem and been able to solve?

Dave,

I read in the iTunes app reviews, that a "hard power cycle" (switch on the back) for 30 seconds will fix it. In some cases, that worked for me. In others, it didn't. If the hard power cycle didn't solve it, I went into the OSD menu --> network settings --> changed from auto to manual to auto --> apply and save. Wait a minute or two and then try your app again.

Hope that helps. But yeah, it's finicky about when it works and when it doesn't.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corchid View Post

Actually if the PS3 is set for bitstreaming, it is sending the signal for the receiver to decode, not the PS3 to decode. A true 50 watts vs 100 watts equals only to 3db of more sound. The AVR 1700 will NOT output 100 watts all channels driven at once, it is not rated to do so if you read the specs carefully. It's power is rated with 2 channels driven, not 5 channels driven like your AVR 247. Judging by that and the similar amperage ratings, they're probably equal as I said previously. If you want a TRUE 100 watt per channel receiver, you're going to have to spend around $1,000 or more to get one that can do at least 100 watts all channels driven. You would notice a big difference in sound between the AVR 1700 and a $1,000 receiver obviously. I made an earlier post describing my experiences with the AVR 1700. I would have kept it but I was able to buy a higher end Onkyo receiver from a buddy of mine that produces 130 watts with all channels driven and there was a huge difference in sound versus the 1700. But there we're comparing a $499 receiver with a $1,099 receiver. So yes, your Polk speakers would probably sound better with a true 100 watt receiver, not necessarily the AVR 1700. The good news is that you shouldn't lose any sound quality and be able to gain all the modern features the AVR 1700 offers.

That really helps. I have a better understanding and more realistic expectations for watts, channels and price ranges.

I was mistaken however, my PS3 is set to linier PCM not bitstreaming. Does the PS3 decode when set to PCM? If not then the 1700 is probably a great deal for me to get true hd sound.

Once I upgrade my speakers to Polk TSi200 and CS10 center I hope to notice a significant upgrade from my rm6750's.
Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Edge View Post

Dave,

I read in the iTunes app reviews, that a "hard power cycle" (switch on the back) for 30 seconds will fix it. In some cases, that worked for me. In others, it didn't. If the hard power cycle didn't solve it, I went into the OSD menu --> network settings --> changed from auto to manual to auto --> apply and save. Wait a minute or two and then try your app again.

Hope that helps. But yeah, it's finicky about when it works and when it doesn't.

Thanks U2Edge. Still no go. I read somewhere else about adjusting router settings. Not sure it's worth it as everything else is functioning perfectly. Thanks for your response!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

Code:
Check your AVR settings that its enabled to display 1080p output. I have three av sources connected to my AVR 1700. The wdtv smp, Sony blu-ray player and dishnetwork receiver. Both wdtv and the blu-ray player can output 1080p. My tv is Samsung 55un6000, which I got in 2010. Btw, network channels are never in 1080p format, they are either in 720p or 1080i format. The receiver can make them 1080p though.

I don't see where (in the AVR settings) I would enable the output 1080p as you suggested. What am I missing???
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Yup, I get the exact same thing!!!!! help!

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater , Harman Kardon , Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver