The new Harman Kardon AVR1700 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 846 Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Broadly speaking, solid state amps do not need to be mateched to the speaker impedance like tube amps. They have more difficulty driving lower impedances than higher impedances, though, so if you were using 4 ohm speakers and pushing them hard, the amps might get hot (theoretically hot enough to engage their protection mode) but for folks who aren't listening at very high levels with low impedance speakers, it just doesn't become a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 846 Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstewar View Post

You worry way too much. This receiver will be everything you'll need and more.

Why aren't you hooking all your devices up to the AVR and then running one HDMI out to your TV? Doesn't make sense to run optical from your TV to the AVR unless you have devices hooked directly to your TV that won't connect to your AVR. If that's the case, I'd find a different AVR. That's what they're for - to hook everything you own up to.
The device that shes concerned with probably IS the tv. Does the 1700 have ARC?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #543 of 846 Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Someone posted a pro review but I'll save you the time:

http://lazytechguys.com/reviews/harman-kardon-avr-1700-review/#.UQ3Ek7-9Kc0
post #544 of 846 Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The device that shes concerned with probably IS the tv. Does the 1700 have ARC?

Yes, it has ARC
post #545 of 846 Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by acash85 View Post

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I need some advice. I recently purchased the Energy 5.1 Home Theater System (link below). I am having trouble deciding on which receiver is the best to purchase for this system. I'm mostly going to be watching movies off my hard drive attached to my TV, and playing games and so on. The TV is the Samsung 55E8000. My intention was to get the Harman Kardon AVR 1700, but I've been doing extensive reading on the receiver, and it seems no expert reviews have come out on it. It seems that the system has good reviews, but from people not too knowledgeable about the issue. The bad reviews are from people with more expertise, and bring up a lot of good points. I like the sleek look of the Harmon Kardons, and my parents had one when I was growing up so they've always been held to a high standard in my book. Is this receiver going to give a good clean, crisp sound and will the connections work properly if run everything through HDMI and run the Optical out from the back of the TV for the movies.....

Additionally, the surround system operates @ 8ohms whereas, the Harman Kardon states "2 channels @ 8ohms/6ohms certified." I have no idea what this means. I'm sure there are alternative receivers that will give me amazing sound, but I'm also on a budget, please provide some good recommendations and/or if this system will give me the sound that I want.

P.S. I have a raincheck for the AVR 1700 @ Frys. But since this receiver goes on sale for $200 every other week, I'm guessing one of the big retailers will have it at $200 again.

Energy 5.1 Take Home System:
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44.

I welcome all opinions/recommendations/advise from people that have used and tested the receiver and from audio experts.

Thanks.

And check Fry's again next Friday, while i was in there auditioning speakers, he told me that it will go on sale 1 more time before they stop carrying it, and it should be next week.

So right now, i am running all of my movies, tv shows, and music from my computer through the hdmi in. (well except the music, i just use Airplay from Itunes) and it works amazing. If you are using an ATI graphics card you can set a preset to make the AVR one of your screens, and make the audio out to it as well, for me i have a shortcut key that I just hit and easy as pie, i have another computer monitor with 5.1 surround, actually works really really well, especially if you can get HQ movies (via download or whatever) and with a wireless keyboard/mouse you could do some gaming with nice 5.1 cool.gif Let your computer graphics card do all the rendering work for the movies, don't make your TV do that. Also in that process, I have eliminated the need for a smart tv (which typically adds a couple hundred bucks to the price)

And I have EVERYTHING that has an HDMI in, into the receiver, not my TV, no reason for all that, the receiver has 6 inputs, so you can do just that, ATM I have my computer on one, BD player on one, PS3 on one, and XBOX 360 on another, and still have an available slot for later expansion, instead of trying to jerry rig everything to tv, then to AVR, which will probably degrade one or more of the audio/video signals doing all that unnecessary bouncing around.
post #546 of 846 Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiendog View Post

Someone posted a pro review but I'll save you the time:

http://lazytechguys.com/reviews/harman-kardon-avr-1700-review/#.UQ3Ek7-9Kc0

His review did have one flaw, the volume is most definitely adjustable when airplay is enabled, it is just the input volume, so my suggestion, when using, is start it at about 30% and adjust the volume on the avr afterwards
post #547 of 846 Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetocdnerd View Post

His review did have one flaw, the volume is most definitely adjustable when airplay is enabled, it is just the input volume, so my suggestion, when using, is start it at about 30% and adjust the volume on the avr afterwards

Is this different on other receivers where your idevice doesn't control the volume?
post #548 of 846 Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Wonder why they are going to quit carrying this receiver? I also saw on hk's website the 2700 is out and the 3700 is for pre order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #549 of 846 Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Is this different on other receivers where your idevice doesn't control the volume?

I'm not sure, as that is the only apple product I use, is iTunes and airplay, I don't have any AOS devices
post #550 of 846 Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1723 View Post

Wonder why they are going to quit carrying this receiver? I also saw on hk's website the 2700 is out and the 3700 is for pre order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if all fry's are going to stop, but the one in Tempe Arizona has 33 more and told me that they weren't going to order more
post #551 of 846 Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Hi! Having difficulity getting AUDIO FOR MY SPEAKERS and need some assitance. First challenge is tryinhg to get the OSD menu up on my tv screen. I have ARc mode enabled on my LG smart tv and have ARC out HDMI from tv to back of HK AVR ARC in. The tv is the only thing I have plugged into back of receiver at this moment. I have no sound. I go to the HK remote and hit OSD button but nothing comes on the screen. LG support said I need to set up the receiver to put it in ARC mode- trouble is cannot get this menu to appear on tv. HK supports have gone home for the night:( Anyone out there with some suggestions? MAny thanks!
post #552 of 846 Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Just realized - is it also possbile that my HDMI cable from tv to back of AVR does not have an ARC carrying capabilities? I purchased these cables on New Egg but do not remember if they have ARC- I thought all HDMI calbes carry both audio/video- is this true? Thanks so much!
post #553 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Gosk View Post

Hi! Having difficulity getting AUDIO FOR MY SPEAKERS and need some assitance. First challenge is tryinhg to get the OSD menu up on my tv screen. I have ARc mode enabled on my LG smart tv and have ARC out HDMI from tv to back of HK AVR ARC in. The tv is the only thing I have plugged into back of receiver at this moment. I have no sound. I go to the HK remote and hit OSD button but nothing comes on the screen. LG support said I need to set up the receiver to put it in ARC mode- trouble is cannot get this menu to appear on tv. HK supports have gone home for the night:( Anyone out there with some suggestions? MAny thanks!

Do you have your devices hooked up to the receiver or your TV? I don't want to assume, just because your trying to use ARC.

Did you press the AVR button and then OSD?
post #554 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrickb View Post

Do you have your devices hooked up to the receiver or your TV? I don't want to assume, just because your trying to use ARC.

Did you press the AVR button and then OSD?

Yup, that is most likely your trouble, you need to manually press the AVR button on the remote for the menu to be shown. Good luck!
post #555 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Just realized - is it also possbile that my HDMI cable from tv to back of AVR does not have an ARC carrying capabilities? I purchased these cables on New Egg but do not remember if they have ARC- I thought all HDMI calbes carry both audio/video- is this true? Thanks so much!

So question, why aren't you using the HDMI ports on the receiver? My suggestion is to use the ports on the receiver, that's what they are for....and no, not all HDMI cables have audio return capability.. It will be much less of a headache if you use the receiver as it was designed for
post #556 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All hdmi cables do carry audio and video. ARC is a different story. They almost certainly do but if you provide a link for the ones you bought we can tell you for sure.

post #557 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Don't know about your specific LG display...
But note that Samsung and LG for some strange reason chose to deviate from the HDMI standards, and certain features such as ARC and CEC may not function properly when used with other brand HDMI components.....
If the other HDMI components are LG or Samsung than you stand a better chance of things working correctly..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #558 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Hi- I have HDMI cable ARC out from back of HK receiver to TV- HDMI ARC IN. That should carry the audio/video signal right? I talked to HK support and they would like me to set the unit back to its factory defaults to reset receiver so that I can pull up the OSD menu.

What I understand from previous posts is that I should press the AVR button on the remote-THEN the OSD button right? What about the] input setting for my smart tv- do I have to set that on the input HDMI number( in my case) BACK OF RECEIVER ARC OUT into HDMI 1 ARC IN in which I plugged in from the receiver- will that recognize the receiver at this point? thank you!
post #559 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi- The only thing I have hooked up right now is the tv to the receiver. I stream wirelessly. My hook up is only (1) HDMI cable going from back of HK from ARC out to back of TV to HDMI ARC in. I have enabled ARC to be on in my set-up for LG smart tv mode. I can use all HDMI hookups for the future- and will use the HK ports for HDMI in the future. I only have a blue ray player to add at this point. I would hook up the blue-=ray player directly to the HK unit using the HDMI cable right? thank you< JEN
post #560 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi- The only thing I have hooked up right now is the tv to the receiver. I stream wirelessly. My hook up is only (1) HDMI cable going from back of HK from ARC out to back of TV to HDMI ARC in. I have enabled ARC to be on in my set-up for LG smart tv mode. I can use all HDMI hookups for the future- and will use the HK ports for HDMI in the future. I only have a blue ray player to add at this point. I would hook up the blue-=ray player directly to the HK unit using the HDMI cable right? thank you< JEN

Are you streaming to the TV and you want the sound sent to the receiver? As stated above, you should ideally connect everything to the AVR and not use ARC. If your not connecting the Bluray player yet, then try the following:

- Turn on the TV and the AVR.
- Press the Radio button on the AVR remote. You should see the radio station info on the TV screen.
- Press the AVR button and then the OSD button. You should see the OSD on the TV.

Good luck!
post #561 of 846 Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and hook up the Bluray player now directly to the AVR via HDMI. Use the output on the AVR to connect to the TV via HDMI as well. That way you will know if your television is receiving a signal from the AVR. You will need to set your television to the correct input using the television's menu. You will also need to use the correct output on the AVR using the remote. Why all the fuss over using ARC, It doesn't sound like you need it from the uses you are describing? HDMI will send the video and audio signals through and to your receiver just fine. You only need upstream capabilities.

All HDMI cables allow ARC or Audio Return Channel but most users will have no need for it. Do you use a television antenna or are you connecting other devices directly to your tv instead of the AVR because those are the only practical uses for ARC?

So long story short (too late) don't worry about ARC and just hook that baby up!
post #562 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraker View Post

Do yourself a favor and hook up the Bluray player now directly to the AVR via HDMI. Use the output on the AVR to connect to the TV via HDMI as well. That way you will know if your television is receiving a signal from the AVR. You will need to set your television to the correct input using the television's menu. You will also need to use the correct output on the AVR using the remote. Why all the fuss over using ARC, It doesn't sound like you need it from the uses you are describing? HDMI will send the video and audio signals through and to your receiver just fine. You only need upstream capabilities.

All HDMI cables allow ARC or Audio Return Channel but most users will have no need for it. Do you use a television antenna or are you connecting other devices directly to your tv instead of the AVR because those are the only practical uses for ARC?

So long story short (too late) don't worry about ARC and just hook that baby up!
+1
post #563 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Quick question guys, this is my first post on AVS and I'm new to home theater equipment as all of my prior purchases have either been all in one packages with receiver and speakers or stand alone sound bars. I purchased a new Samsung Plasma 51 inch TV for my bedroom to replace the Sony Bravia XBR 37 inch LCD TV I had. That TV had 4 HDMI inputs and my new Samsung only has 3 inputs. I'm currently using it with the Yamaha YAS 101 soundbar I had with the Bravia. I wanted to look at getting a dedicated receiver like the AVR 1700 with enough HDMI ports to route Apple TV, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, DirectTV DVR through it with a few to spare and pairing it with a decent 2.1 system since it will be in my bedroom and I don't want to go with a 5.1 setup in there.

I was looking at purchasing the AVR 1700 along with HKTS 200 speakers. I figured those speakers would be compatible with the receiver since they are both Harmon Kardon, but I honestly don't know since I really don't know much when it comes to home theater.

Can you advise if this setup would work?

HK AVR 1700 > http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/AVR-1700/AVR%201700_HK_US?skuId=AVR%201700_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly

HKTS 200 > http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/HKTS-200/HKTS%20200_HK_US?skuId=HKTS%20200BQ_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly

Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate any advice you can provide.
post #564 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Has anyone programmed the UNC WR7 remote with this AVR? I'm having a little bit of an issue with the on/off buttons. I initially used the code in the manual but it wasn't turning on and off as I'd liked. I then made it learn from the HK remotes on/off but when I went to turn it off yesterday using the on/off macro it wouldn't turn it off. If anyone uses this remote can you tell me how you programmed it for on/off purposes.

Thanks,

Mike
post #565 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetocdnerd View Post

+1

+2

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #566 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM

the hk uses separate buttons to turn the receiver on and off.
i use the hk remote to control everything hooked to my receiver
it's actually a nice remote once you get used to the layout

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #567 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Has anyone programmed the UNC WR7 remote with this AVR? I'm having a little bit of an issue with the on/off buttons. I initially used the code in the manual but it wasn't turning on and off as I'd liked. I then made it learn from the HK remotes on/off but when I went to turn it off yesterday using the on/off macro it wouldn't turn it off. If anyone uses this remote can you tell me how you programmed it for on/off purposes.

Thanks,

Mike

Keep in mind...
HK uses different discrete IR codes for Power, each Source Input button will power the unit ON and pressing the Power OFF button turns OFF the AVR..

FYI..
The URC WR7 is a great universal remote control...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #568 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks. I got it to work.
post #569 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indierocke View Post

Quick question guys, this is my first post on AVS and I'm new to home theater equipment as all of my prior purchases have either been all in one packages with receiver and speakers or stand alone sound bars. I purchased a new Samsung Plasma 51 inch TV for my bedroom to replace the Sony Bravia XBR 37 inch LCD TV I had. That TV had 4 HDMI inputs and my new Samsung only has 3 inputs. I'm currently using it with the Yamaha YAS 101 soundbar I had with the Bravia. I wanted to look at getting a dedicated receiver like the AVR 1700 with enough HDMI ports to route Apple TV, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, DirectTV DVR through it with a few to spare and pairing it with a decent 2.1 system since it will be in my bedroom and I don't want to go with a 5.1 setup in there.

I was looking at purchasing the AVR 1700 along with HKTS 200 speakers. I figured those speakers would be compatible with the receiver since they are both Harmon Kardon, but I honestly don't know since I really don't know much when it comes to home theater.

Can you advise if this setup would work?

HK AVR 1700 > http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/AVR-1700/AVR%201700_HK_US?skuId=AVR%201700_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly

HKTS 200 > http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/HKTS-200/HKTS%20200_HK_US?skuId=HKTS%20200BQ_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly

Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate any advice you can provide.
You can use whatever speakers you want with the 1700 regardless of brand. As is the case with nearly all receivers.

post #570 of 846 Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM

Hooked the baby up and all is well- however- eee gads- was someone at HK into big- LIT UP DOUGHNUTS when they designed the volume control. How do you shut the volume light off please? It seems brighter than some of my house lamps- tee hee- thanks in advance!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater , Harman Kardon , Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page