The new Harman Kardon AVR1700 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 847 Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank for advice and help. I got Plex installed on Macbook and also the Music Manager for Mac thanks to one generous AVS member:). Will see which one works better.

Btw, did you notice that the headphone adapter provided with the EZSet mic is mono? I thought my 170 is defective until I tried another adapter.

Harman Kardon AVR 170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 847 Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have thumbed through this thread pretty well, but I still have a question. I'm thinking about buying a 1700 and it will be used in a living room setting, 365 days a year. I have read about audio drop outs when the input changes like what happens on DirecTV all the time, like when a show goes to commercial. Is this a wide spread issue that everyone is having, or just a few users? I would appreciate feedback ASAP because my sale window is fast closing.............................. Drop outs won't go over well with the family.

Thanks in advance!!

Also, how are sound modes applied? Will the 1700 remember what sound format it used for say, DD 5.1, DD 2.0 & PCM 2.0 (all 3 are found on DirecTV)? If I set PLII Music for PCM 2.0, PLII Cinema for DD 2.0 and "Straight Decode" for DD 5.1 will the receiver always revert to the same sound modes each time it receives a signal? And can I set them for each source?

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #723 of 847 Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quick response: I only notice drop outs when a commercial isn't filmed in DD and vice versa. It's hardly noticeable but was an adjustment since my old onkyo never did this. Then again the onkyo didn't have Hdmi connections.
post #724 of 847 Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Thanks for the help, will probable look elsewhere to keep everyone happy.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #725 of 847 Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM

This may be answered already, but I skimmed through and couldn't find it.

I have my PS3 on HDMI 1 and I have the issue with audio dropping for 2-3 seconds from time to time. I want to run audio through Optical In 1 or 2 instead, but the Source Setup won't allow me to run HDMI 1 and Optical 1 together, if I choose HDMI 1 for video, it forces HDMI 1 for audio, and if I choose Optical 1 or 2 for audio, it forces CVBS 1 or 2 for video. Am I missing something, or if I move it to another HDMI port, would it allow for this?

Thanks for any help.
post #726 of 847 Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakn3Dfx View Post

This may be answered already, but I skimmed through and couldn't find it.

I have my PS3 on HDMI 1 and I have the issue with audio dropping for 2-3 seconds from time to time. I want to run audio through Optical In 1 or 2 instead, but the Source Setup won't allow me to run HDMI 1 and Optical 1 together, if I choose HDMI 1 for video, it forces HDMI 1 for audio, and if I choose Optical 1 or 2 for audio, it forces CVBS 1 or 2 for video. Am I missing something, or if I move it to another HDMI port, would it allow for this?

I had the same issue. I prefer an optical or digital coax for music listening instead of HDMI. Unfortunately the 1700 does not allow you to mix HDMI video and digital audio for the same input. You have to step up to a higher model Harman AVR to allow totally free input assigning (avr 2700, avr 3700, etc). It's one of the reasons I returned the 1700 and got a AVR 2600 instead. Sorry I couldnt been a better help.
post #727 of 847 Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM

That's a bummer. It doesn't happen a lot, and it seems to go in streaks, but otherwise, it's been an awesome receiver since I picked it up earlier this year. I'll just continue trying to ignore it now that I know I can't beat it. rolleyes.gif
post #728 of 847 Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded in the PS3 & 1700...

Just my $0.02.... 😉👍
post #729 of 847 Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Question -
This may have been addressed already somewhere earlier in this thread, but can't find it.

I got an AVR 1700, and have the 'record out' RCA connected to the input in a power amp that feeds the house, outdoor kitchen, patio, etc.

When the AVR is on 'audio' (playing the input that's plugged into one of its 2 analog RCA audio inputs) the second power amp gets a signal and everything works. IF i switch to a HDMI input, however, i get no signal on the 'record out'. This is frustrating as my bluray player has Pandora internet radio, and it works just fine, but i get nothing out of the 'record out'

Looked through the settings and can't figure it out.

Any ideas?
post #730 of 847 Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_nylund View Post

Question -
This may have been addressed already somewhere earlier in this thread, but can't find it.

I got an AVR 1700, and have the 'record out' RCA connected to the input in a power amp that feeds the house, outdoor kitchen, patio, etc.

When the AVR is on 'audio' (playing the input that's plugged into one of its 2 analog RCA audio inputs) the second power amp gets a signal and everything works. IF i switch to a HDMI input, however, i get no signal on the 'record out'. This is frustrating as my bluray player has Pandora internet radio, and it works just fine, but i get nothing out of the 'record out'

Looked through the settings and can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

As designed..
No Analog Audio Out @ Tape Out when the Input is an HDMI source..
Does your Blu-ray have analog L/R audio outputs?

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #731 of 847 Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Hmm,
I was hoping to use the 'record out' as a 'zone 2', but looks like that may not be possible.

How about the other inputs, like the USB input - would that use the 'record out'?
post #732 of 847 Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM

Blu ray does have a L/R audio output, but that means i'll have to order a RCA splitter switch so I can toggle between the blu ray player output and the receiver output (for when i'm playing music through the receiver)

Not sure if the USB works, but will have to try

Making me wish i'd just got a receiver that has zone 2 line out. I'm thinking that would save a lot of trouble. May just go ahead and do that in the end actually.
What think?
post #733 of 847 Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Liked: 17
Very few receivers can downmix to the record outs or zone 2 outs from a digital source. Fewer still can do that trick from an hdmi source.

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There's always one more bug.
post #734 of 847 Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 AM

OK that makes sense. Now the AVR 1700 looks like it has TWO "Audio In"s. Couldn't i, in theory, have the blu ray player playing Pandora, HDMI to the receiver, and on the HDMI channel, and if i had the L/R RCA outputs from the bluray player going to one of the receiver's "audio in", wouldn't that work?
post #735 of 847 Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM

For anyone searching through this thread, I found a way to be able to do it. It's actually very easy

Open the OSD on the 1700, and go to 'source setup' (second option). At the very bottom, 'record out', by default it's set to Analog, which works for analog inputs, but not for digital. Change the option from 'analog' to 'Digital DSP' (or something like that), and voila - you get output on the 'record out' for any source (be it analog or digital (hdmi))
post #736 of 847 Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The major advantage of the SMPS is 120V-240V compatibility for worldwide sales..
Just switch out the detachable IEC power cord with the local AC plug.

Just plug it in 220v circuit, that's all?!

Must i switch anything? Or is it have autoswitch?

Mark on the technical label says only 120v, is it normal? Or is that item for US use only?

10x for any response.
post #737 of 847 Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Nobody knows?
post #738 of 847 Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone measured idle power with a kill-a-watt?
post #739 of 847 Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Is it possible HK can add HDMI pass through via a software update? Switching audio from my surround sound to the tv takes too many steps IMO.
post #740 of 847 Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM

I'm a total newbie....also I'm not as technically qualified as most on this forum (but ask me how to build a race car!)

ANY help will be appreciated....but please keep it in "medium" techno-speak.

My AVR 1700 worked perfectly for 4 months....but now it is "locked up" in a display message: "BCO update...please wait".
The cable/sat mode still allows me to watch TV, but neither the volume nor mute can be adjusted. I have tried powering the unit down (power switch on rear) to see if unit will re-boot......but when I power back up, display generates normal message of "cab/sat" for about 30 seconds before reverting to the locked-up message of BCO Update. Also, during the first 30 seconds of "normal msg", I CAN adjust volume....but not after BCO update msg appears! The unit will turn itself off after about 4 hours unattended....and then the only way to turn it back on is to turn power switch on BACK of unit off...wait for amber light a left of front panel to go out, and then turn rear power switch back on....and THEN unit can be turned on via "power" button on front panel.
HELP!!!
post #741 of 847 Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7NSX View Post

I'm a total newbie....also I'm not as technically qualified as most on this forum (but ask me how to build a race car!)

ANY help will be appreciated....but please keep it in "medium" techno-speak.

My AVR 1700 worked perfectly for 4 months....but now it is "locked up" in a display message: "BCO update...please wait".
The cable/sat mode still allows me to watch TV, but neither the volume nor mute can be adjusted. I have tried powering the unit down (power switch on rear) to see if unit will re-boot......but when I power back up, display generates normal message of "cab/sat" for about 30 seconds before reverting to the locked-up message of BCO Update. Also, during the first 30 seconds of "normal msg", I CAN adjust volume....but not after BCO update msg appears! The unit will turn itself off after about 4 hours unattended....and then the only way to turn it back on is to turn power switch on BACK of unit off...wait for amber light a left of front panel to go out, and then turn rear power switch back on....and THEN unit can be turned on via "power" button on front panel.
HELP!!!

Try a PROCESSOR RESET..

If the AVR behaves erratically after a power surge, first turn off the rear-panel Main Power
switch and unplug the AC power cord for at least 3 minutes. Plug the cord back in and
turn the AVR on. If this procedure doesn’t help, reset the AVR’s processor as described
below.
NOTE: A processor reset erases all user configurations, including video
resolution, speaker and level settings, and tuner presets. After a reset, reenter
all of these settings from your notes in the Appendix worksheets.
To reset the AVR’s processor:
1. Press the front-panel Standby/On switch to place the unit in the Standby mode (the
Power Indicator LED will turn amber).
2. Press and hold the front-panel Surround Mode button for at least 5 seconds until the
RESET message appears on the front-panel Message display.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #742 of 847 Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks,...I'm trying that now!
Your post reminded me we had a power outage for about 1.5 hrs....something to do with 119 degree weather?
post #743 of 847 Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Got a question that I can't figure out:

I recently bought the 1700 after upgrading from an older Yamaha RX-V1300. I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected via HDMI and 2 Polk floor speakers, a Polk centre speaker, and no rear speakers (small apartment).

When I play music from iTunes for example, it plays in stereo 2-channel with nothing coming out of the centre speaker. With my old receiver, I had EQ presets that would change the sound to make it more warm, etc, but it would also create a 'virtual' surround where my music would play through my fronts and the centre. I know it's not true stereo, and I don't always play my music that way, but I liked it sometimes.

On this receiver, all the surround mode presets are greyed out except 'Auto-Select' and 'Stereo'. When I choose Stereo manually, it's only 2 channel. As far as I can tell, there's no way to change this. Not a dealbreaker, except that when I play movies or TV on Netflix in my browser, it will only play 2 channel as well, even the HD stuff. Without the centre channel being used for dialogue, it's way too quiet to enjoy any movie. What puzzles me is that if I play a movie in VLC player or in Plex Media Centre, it will correctly use the centre channel. Any streaming video (youtube, vimeo, etc) within the browser on my Mac though, 2 channel sound through the front L/R speakers only.

Is there no way I can force it to use all 3 speakers in some kind of virtual surround? I can't change anything in the OSD settings, and I've looked everywhere in my mac's settings to try and see if it's something on that end but no luck. Any help would be appreciated smile.gif Thanks!
post #744 of 847 Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 13
I am extremely happy with the avr 1700 after having it since January. Im a long time fan of h/k and the stories of new owners etc made me wary. My previous avr was tested and proved to be more powerful then this 1700 yet in real world use i notice no power deficit. Yet for a price less then my remote this receiver has exceeded my expectations.
post #745 of 847 Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markage View Post

I recently bought the 1700 after upgrading from an older Yamaha RX-V1300. I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected via HDMI and 2 Polk floor speakers, a Polk centre speaker, and no rear speakers (small apartment).

When I play music from iTunes for example, it plays in stereo 2-channel with nothing coming out of the centre speaker. With my old receiver, I had EQ presets that would change the sound to make it more warm, etc, but it would also create a 'virtual' surround where my music would play through my fronts and the centre. I know it's not true stereo, and I don't always play my music that way, but I liked it sometimes.

On this receiver, all the surround mode presets are greyed out except 'Auto-Select' and 'Stereo'. When I choose Stereo manually, it's only 2 channel. As far as I can tell, there's no way to change this. Not a dealbreaker, except that when I play movies or TV on Netflix in my browser, it will only play 2 channel as well, even the HD stuff. Without the centre channel being used for dialogue, it's way too quiet to enjoy any movie. What puzzles me is that if I play a movie in VLC player or in Plex Media Centre, it will correctly use the centre channel. Any streaming video (youtube, vimeo, etc) within the browser on my Mac though, 2 channel sound through the front L/R speakers only.

Is there no way I can force it to use all 3 speakers in some kind of virtual surround? I can't change anything in the OSD settings, and I've looked everywhere in my mac's settings to try and see if it's something on that end but no luck. Any help would be appreciated smile.gif Thanks!
Quote:

Check sound settings on your computer's sound card. Sounds like your computer is outputting multichannel pcm thus your H/K will not go into pro logic ii, neo 6, or L7. The AVR is only seeing a 5.1 channel signal thus the surround modes or not able to be used. The reason your center channel worked is because your pc is doing the surround decoding and the signal was already Dolby digital 5.1.
post #746 of 847 Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:

When I play music from iTunes for example, it plays in stereo 2-channel with nothing coming out of the centre speaker.
Is there no way I can force it to use all 3 speakers in some kind of virtual surround?

the processor has 2 stereo modes: 2 channel and 5 channel. in 5 channel mode it combines the l&r into the center channel.
unless you can trick the receiver into 5 channel mode with no back speakers, your screwed biggrin.gif

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #747 of 847 Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded in the PS3 & 1700...

i haven't checked in a while, but to the best of my knowledge, there are no firmware updates for the 1700

post #748 of 847 Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM

i can't accesses http://www.radioharmankardon.com/, is this because it is down or did hk quit using vtuner? vtuner is what i use all day every day. i went to the hk site, they don't mention anything about dropping vtuner support.

as far as vtuner, it sort of sucks anyway. my old pioneer receiver had web access that was built into the receiver. the pioneer would default back to the last played station. with vtuner you need to connect to the web, wait, wait some more and then use the menus to find your station.

post #749 of 847 Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 AM

HI THERE FOLKS I JUST WANNA SAY THIS IS'NT THE FIRST CLASS D AMPLIFIER FROM HARMAN KARDON , IT WAS THE DPR 1001 FROM 2003 WICH I POSSES.
post #750 of 847 Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty kim View Post

HI THERE FOLKS I JUST WANNA SAY THIS IS'NT THE FIRST CLASS D AMPLIFIER FROM HARMAN KARDON , IT WAS THE DPR 1001 FROM 2003 WICH I POSSES.

The avr 1700 does not use class D amplification. It is a traditional class AB amp with a digital switching power supply. Only the power supply is digital, not the amp itself. If you look at the heatsink, you can see the discrete transistors.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater , Harman Kardon , Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page