Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 847 Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post

That's good to know, man, thanks for sharing. No more non-buyer's remorse for me, especially since I don't really need MHL, Bluetooth or the extra channels. I read some negative reviews of the 1700 after I had already bought it, but none of those accounts matched my personal experience with the receiver. The primary feature of the 1710 that I would like to have is EzSet/EQ III because I have been less than impressed with room correction on the 1700. In redundant tests I get inconsistent results.

The EZset/EQ III is no better than the first version in my experience. The only version that seems to work well the EZset/EQ II, it was developed in house by Harman and is only found on the older higher end H/K receivers (AVR 7550, 745, etc). I always set my speakers up manually anyways and I think my systems sound better without the EQ anyways. All room eq's I've had give inconsistent results including Audyssey MultiEQ XT that where on both Denon AVR-998 and Onkyo TX-SR805 I used to have.
Nikwasi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 847 Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by corchid View Post

The EZset/EQ III is no better than the first version in my experience. The only version that seems to work well the EZset/EQ II, it was developed in house by Harman and is only found on the older higher end H/K receivers (AVR 7550, 745, etc). I always set my speakers up manually anyways and I think my systems sound better without the EQ anyways. All room eq's I've had give inconsistent results including Audyssey MultiEQ XT that where on both Denon AVR-998 and Onkyo TX-SR805 I used to have.

Useful information. That makes me more comfortable with my manual EQ, which sounds great BTW. I guess I fell victim to a superstitious notion that I was missing something by not using Harman's room correction. But even if EZset was perfect I'd have to tweak it to compensate for a minor degree of hearing loss in my right ear ... so what the hey. Again, thanks for sharing your experience. I feel better than ever about choosing the 1700, so now I can focus on upgrading something in my system other than the AVR. It's always something!

post #813 of 847 Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the 2700 and think the sound is more dynamic and the vocals clearer with the ez set/eq switched off. The sound just opens up. I've tried to like it, but there is no doubt it dulls the sound.
post #814 of 847 Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post

I have the 2700 and think the sound is more dynamic and the vocals clearer with the ez set/eq switched off. The sound just opens up. I've tried to like it, but there is no doubt it dulls the sound.

So you can actually switch off EZset/EQ on the 2700? That's not possible on the 1700, unless I'm really missing something.

post #815 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:

So you can actually switch off EZset/EQ on the 2700? That's not possible on the 1700, unless I'm really missing something.

You have to do a system reset.

any of you guys know why the recently played folder doesn't work now or how to save favorites?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk
post #816 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:

On the 2700 you press the audio effects button on the remote, scroll to the bottom of the menu and turn off the ez set/eq. I can be set independant per input (off for cable on for DVD if I want).. If I want to disable it permanently I just run a processor reset. Plus the 2700 has Dolby Volume, which the 1700 does not. This feature in my mind makes the 2700 a better deal than the 1700. If you think you'll need more volume than the 2700 can deliver then the 3700 is better as it has pre-out for an external amplifier.
Nikwasi likes this.
post #817 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman1000 View Post

any of you guys know why the recently played folder doesn't work now or how to save favorites?

Go to radioharmankardon to set up your favorites list for vTuner. The interface on that site is clunky as hell, but it works once you figure it out.

While I'm at it, please allow me to recommend a station: WNCW NPR 88.7 FM. It's one of the best music stations on the internet, IMO. WNCW webcasts in MP3/128K so their signal is high quality, and the selection of music they offer is very, very eclectic. They just now played a Willie Nelson song, followed by a reggae number. The next tune might be jazz, bluegrass or alt rock ... you just never know. Music for the attention deficit, it is, from the beautiful mountains of Spindale, NC.

You can find it on radioharmankardon simply by searching "WNCW." For those without vTuner, pick it up on http://wncw.org/ (and that's my PSA for today).

post #818 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:

the 2700 has Dolby Volume, which the 1700 does not. This feature in my mind makes the 2700 a better deal than the 1700.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does Dolby Volume do besides regulate playback volume across various sources? I have a new cable box, Motorola DCX 700, that has a DV function but I haven't been using it.

post #819 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does Dolby Volume do besides regulate playback volume across various sources? I have a new cable box, Motorola DCX 700, that has a DV function but I haven't been using it.

Here is the literature and demo from Dolby: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-volume.html
Here is the AVS Forum thread: ttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1250049/dolby-volume-vs-audyssey-dynamic-eq
I love it, Most prefer it to Audyssey. I will rarely listen to movies and music at reference levels (0db). Dolby Volume brings out the details and preserves bass at lower volume levels (and it does not sound artificial). It used to only be available on top end AV receivers costing upwards of $1000.
To each is own, but I love it. Top end receivers such as ARCAM use it. An av receiver needs a good processor too run Dolby Volume as it is very advanced and uses alot of memory. HK receivers use the top end dolby volume, not the cheap version used in some of the onkyo receivers. The version in the HK you calibrate to your Front L/R speaker using their senaitivity ratings.
Nikwasi likes this.
post #820 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I will rarely listen to movies and music at reference levels (0db). Dolby Volume brings out the details and preserves bass at lower volume levels (and it does not sound artificial).

Thanks for your response. I will follow the links and learn more.

Like you, I rarely approach reference levels using any source. Recently I added an SVS SB-2000 sub to my audio system and I'm just as impressed with it at moderate-low levels as I am at higher volumes. This is something I was missing with a budget sub ... articulate, well detailed bass throughout my personal listening range, which is typically -30 to -12 on the AVR-1700 scale . It really makes a difference.

post #821 of 847 Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Like you, I rarely approach reference levels using any source. Recently I added an SVS SB-2000 sub to my audio system and I'm just as impressed with it at moderate-low levels as I am at higher volumes. This is something I was missing with a budget sub ... articulate, well detailed bass throughout my personal listening range, from low to high. It really makes a difference.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1343151/yamaha-adaptive-drc-vs-dolby-volume-audessey-dynamic-volume-eq-thx-loudness-plus
Here is another good forum to read on Dolby Volume
post #822 of 847 Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Like you, I rarely approach reference levels using any source. Recently I added an SVS SB-2000 sub to my audio system and I'm just as impressed with it at moderate-low levels as I am at higher volumes. This is something I was missing with a budget sub ... articulate, well detailed bass throughout my personal listening range, which is typically -30 to -12 on the AVR-1700 scale . It really makes a difference.

What do you think now about dolby volume? Nice sub you have.
post #823 of 847 Old 05-01-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

What do you think now about dolby volume? Nice sub you have.

What do I think? I think I'd like to have Dolby Volume on my AVR. ;)

I accessed the settings menu of my Motorola cable box and turned on DV and I do notice some improvement there, but the degree of improvement is hard to quantify because cable audio signals are so inconsistent from channel to channel, and even program to program on the same channel. I'm sure the version of DV loaded on my STB is inferior to that of the AVR-2700, and on my STB there are no settings for customization ... DV is either on or off.

As for the SVS sub: I could not be happier with it, but lest I mislead, I'm on a tight HT budget and the SB-2000 cost roughly as much as everything else in my 5.1 setup combined, including the 1700. It was money well burned, though, because it gives me the feel of a full system upgrade.

post #824 of 847 Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM

After a couple of days ... yeah, bass and surround at low-moderate volume is definitely better on cable audio since I began using Dolby Volume on the STB, especially with programming in Dolby Surround.

post #825 of 847 Old 05-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The interface on that site is clunky as hell, but it works once you figure it out.

do you really think so biggrin.gif

i was hoping their first firmware update would get rid of vtuner or at least add a default to last stationed played.
my old pioneer 1020k had an internal web interface that you copied and pasted the streaming address in.
it would also default back to the last tuned in station when powered on.
seeing as i use vtuner all day, every day it bugs the poop out of me.

turn on avr1700; wait; wait some more; wait a little more; find folder, find station and push ok...
a default to last station would be a great addition to vtuner. hk? you listening biggrin.gif

other than the vtuner i have to say it's been glitch free and has already lasted longer than the pioneer 1020k.
sounds good, very good, both of them.

so any reason to update the firmware if you don't use airplay or the remote app?

the remote app needs feedback so i can see what vtuner channel i'm on from anywhere in the house.
and i would mind being able to identify which receiver i'm app'd to
i have two avr 1700 receivers, avr1 might be first one time and avr2 might be first the second time
then if you let the tablet time out it might swap positions again

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #826 of 847 Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post

so any reason to update the firmware if you don't use airplay or the remote app?

I can think of one huge reason ... the firmware update allows you to assign a subwoofer crossover frequency. That, to me, is more important than anything related to vTuner, even though I use vTuner almost every day. As a work-around, I scripted a function on my Harmony remote that takes me to my favorite station (and turns off my TV) with a single button click. And I must say, the associated web site did allow me to build a functional "favorites" list once I learned how to navigate it.

Still, there's no excuse for clunky, HK. C'mon man!

post #827 of 847 Old 05-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Word of warning, the update also changes the power off of the AVR! It now acts like the AVR 1x10 line. It now will go to "sleep" if you press the power button. You have to hold down the power button on the remote or the receiver for 3 seconds in order for it to go into standby (off)!

I'm pondering installing the update, but I don't like this change at all. I'm using a Harmony remote. Is there some way for the Harmony to simulate a 3 second keypress?

post #828 of 847 Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMN View Post

I'm pondering installing the update, but I don't like this change at all. I'm using a Harmony remote. Is there some way for the Harmony to simulate a 3 second keypress?

The 3-second key press works with my Harmony 650 and I didn't have change anything in the remote setup. Just press and hold the  power off button until the 1700 says "bye."

post #829 of 847 Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 PM

Silly question, does night mode only work on DD?

post #830 of 847 Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Night mode only works on Dolby encoded bitstreams. Dolby Digital and possibly TrueHD. DTS and PCM definitely excluded. I wish the 1700 featured Dolby Volume but it's only reserved for higher end H/K avr's. I love it on my 3600!
post #831 of 847 Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The 3-second key press works with my Harmony 650 and I didn't have change anything in the remote setup. Just press and hold the  power off button until the 1700 says "bye."

Well, the whole point is to NOT have to manually press and hold. I have the Power Off as a step in a programmed sequence, so I'd like to be able to just change a command in the sequence to simulate the press and hold.

post #832 of 847 Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Well, the whole point is to NOT have to manually press and hold. I have the Power Off as a step in a programmed sequence, so I'd like to be able to just change a command in the sequence to simulate the press and hold.

Yeah, I hear you now. I'm a little slow on the uptake. :rolleyes:

I researched the matter for a few minutes and it seems the 650 does not have a "long press" option for buttons/commands. I haven't been able to think of a work-around. In the process I also learned that owners of some TVs and AVRs (other than Harman/Kardon) need this functionality as well. I perceive this as more of a Logitech issue than an HK issue. In any event, I'm willing to suffer an extra button press with the new firmware as long as I can assign crossover for my sub.

post #833 of 847 Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Night mode only works on Dolby encoded bitstreams. Dolby Digital and possibly TrueHD. DTS and PCM definitely excluded. I wish the 1700 featured Dolby Volume but it's only reserved for higher end H/K avr's. I love it on my 3600!

Thank you

post #834 of 847 Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

both of my avr 1700s have always had this 3 second off feature. it is also in the manual and on the website as a feature.
single push of the off button goes to sleep, while the 3 second off button push says ''bye'' and turns the unit off.
chances are that you've never pushed the off button for 3 seconds to experience this feature.
this has been a feature since they came out with the 1700.

i have a smart power strip behind my home theater setup; the roku, ethernet switch, bluray, cd player and avr1700 #2 are all hooked into this power strip.
if i put avr1700 #1 to sleep all other components stay on. if i do the 3 second push and turn off avr1700 #1 it turns off the power strip and all the components hooked to it.
it's handy to cut the power to the roku when it needs to be reset, as they need to be every now and then. biggrin.gif

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #835 of 847 Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

both of my avr 1700s have always had this 3 second off feature. it is also in the manual and on the website as a feature.
single push of the off button goes to sleep, while the 3 second off button push says ''bye'' and turns the unit off.
chances are that you've never pushed the off button for 3 seconds to experience this feature.

i have a smart power strip behind my home theater setup; the roku, ethernet switch, bluray, cd player and avr1700 #2 are all hooked into this power strip.
if i put avr1700 #1 to sleep all other components stay on. if i do the 3 second push and turn off avr1700 #1 it turns off the power strip and all the components hooked to it.
it's handy to cut the power to the roku when it needs to be reset, as they need to be every now and then. biggrin.gif

Mine never did until the recent firmware update, it always went into standby with a single push.

post #836 of 847 Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:

You know, that's true in my case. The 3-second feature is outlined in my manual but of course I never read the manual, just referred to it if I had a question/problem. 

post #837 of 847 Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the info folks, got my favorites folder all setup tonight

post #838 of 847 Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Liked: 10
Having a problem with mine, mid GoT it suddenly turned off and the power indicator went to the off "orange" color and started blinking...anytime i turn it back on it turns off instantly and blinks? Any help would be appreciated
post #839 of 847 Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00kateh View Post

Having a problem with mine, mid GoT it suddenly turned off and the power indicator went to the off "orange" color and started blinking...anytime i turn it back on it turns off instantly and blinks? Any help would be appreciated

The first thing that comes to mind is a short. What you describe will take place if there is a short circuit in your speaker wires, or if there is a problem caused by a component connected to your AVR. Check all your connections.

post #840 of 847 Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The first thing that comes to mind is a short. What you describe will take place if there is a short circuit in your speaker wires, or if there is a problem caused by a component connected to your AVR. Check all your connections.

Thank you for the first reply. The first thing i did, was completely remove all connections to the receiver, but it would still turn off instantly and start blinking.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater , Harman Kardon , Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page