Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

Although the receiver is removed from the website, few bestbuy still have them in stock. Some have it as open box (usually the last piece for $169), and some have it as brand new ($199). If you ask a sales associate, he can look up the models in all nearby bestbuy store (although its not there in the website) and reserve one for you (essentially buy it as mail order). This is how I bought it in Howell NJ store, where they located four pieces in Manalapan, NJ BB and one in Eatontown NJ. I picked one from Manalapan, NJ store.
Going to call in my area today (Chicago suburbs) to find out if any are in stock in the area. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick questions:

- Any dynamic range compression on this model, and is it any good? I want something similar to Audyssey Dynamic Volume for use in an apartment.
- Auto calibration/included microphone, and is it any good? Again, looking for similar to Audyssey's offerings.
- Audio return channel over HDMI, HDMI CEC, HDMI ethernet support?

Thanks!
post #183 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWells55 View Post

Quick questions:
- Any dynamic range compression on this model, and is it any good? I want something similar to Audyssey Dynamic Volume for use in an apartment.
- Auto calibration/included microphone, and is it any good? Again, looking for similar to Audyssey's offerings.
- Audio return channel over HDMI, HDMI CEC, HDMI ethernet support?
Thanks!

My Avr 1700 has something called Night mode which is supposed to compress some dolby digital content. To be honest I never really notice a difference.

Harman Kardon's Ezset/eq sets the speaker distances/delay, volume level, and eq. This includes your sub. Ezset/eq worked very well for me. My sub has a tight musical sound now and imaging is vastly improved.

It does support HDMI Arc, and CEC, HDMI 1.4a
post #184 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 10
Is it possible that BB removed it from there website because they had such a great response from the $199 sale? Normally I would think they would keep it listed but just show it back ordered! I'm waiting on UPS to deliver mine this afternoon. Hopefully mine doesn't have any issues because it will suck if I re-route all of my home theatre just to have to re-do it!
post #185 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM

That is possible. I already have mine, but I was just wondering why they completely yanked it off their site. I hope its not some kind of defect that they know about and I don't.

You make a good point, though. They could have had a good run with the sale. Or they lost a lot of profit on the sale and didn't want to just change the price while the sale is supposed to last a week?

TV: Toshiba 46L5200U (ISF calibrated)
Bluray/Stream/Game: PS3 (1.5TB storage)
Conditioning: Belkin PureAV PF30
NAS: WD MY NET N750 w/ 1.5TB
Rcvr: Harman/Kardon AVR 1700 | Turntable: Audio Technica LP60
Front: Polk Audio T15 | Center: Polk Audio CSR | Rear: Curtis POS's
Sub: Logitech Z2300
post #186 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post

Is it possible that BB removed it from there website because they had such a great response from the $199 sale? Normally I would think they would keep it listed but just show it back ordered! I'm waiting on UPS to deliver mine this afternoon. Hopefully mine doesn't have any issues because it will suck if I re-route all of my home theatre just to have to re-do it!

Read my previous post from yesterday, I gave the reason...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #187 of 846 Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM

This receiver probably took over double the time it should have to set up. I like the way everything sounds but man what a pita to configure. After everything was said and done I still ended up using my HDMI inputs on the back of my plasma rather than the receiver because I use my Turtle Beaches to play video games and watch tv at night since my wife works early mornings and it was impossible to configure the headset base station to do what I want while running through the receiver! This is where I ran into the issue that took the majority of time, it's impossible to configure the receiver properly without on-screen display! The remote is pretty much useless and the front of this receiver doesn't have backlit keys......the light in my living room isn't ideal for this situation.
post #188 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

This receiver probably took over double the time it should have to set up. I like the way everything sounds but man what a pita to configure. After everything was said and done I still ended up using my HDMI inputs on the back of my plasma rather than the receiver because I use my Turtle Beaches to play video games and watch tv at night since my wife works early mornings and it was impossible to configure the headset base station to do what I want while running through the receiver! This is where I ran into the issue that took the majority of time, it's impossible to configure the receiver properly without on-screen display! The remote is pretty much useless and the front of this receiver doesn't have backlit keys......the light in my living room isn't ideal for this situation.

The receiver does have an OSD, make sure AVR is selected on the remote and press OSD...

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #189 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

The receiver does have an OSD, make sure AVR is selected on the remote and press OSD...

I know it has OSD, but because I ran the HDMI cables through the back of my television that was a no go for me! Is there a way to do this in my situation!
post #190 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Don't Turtle Beaches run from the console's optical?

post #191 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Yes the base station has an optical in and an optical out. I want to be able to listen to the game via the receiver and via the headset. The only way I could get it to work was to:

Xbox HDMI > plasma

plasma optical out > Turtle Beach base optical in

Turtle Beach optical out > AVR 1700

And because I ran the DirecTV HDMI to the back of my plasma and used the optical out to the receiver (by way of Turtle Beach Base) I can listen to DirecTV through the headset only when needed.

Because I ran the Xbox and DirecTV HDMI to the back of the plasma I haven't found a way to use OSD. Is there any way that I can do that with this setup?
post #192 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

Please reply. Mine is also stuck as well. What do I do?

firmware updates for the avr 1700:
the firmware is updated using a thumb drive loaded with files downloaded from the hk support site.
plug the thumbdrivve into the usb port and use the network settings to update the firmware.

one of my avr1700 receivers connects to the network very slow as in 93 seconds, the other connects in 3 seconds.
i check into the firmware update process in the hk support site
there are no firmware updates for the avr1700 at this time

hk support firmware download page

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #193 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 PM

I don't know why you wouldn't run everything through the back of the receiver.
post #194 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signedup View Post

I don't know why you wouldn't run everything through the back of the receiver.

I need the capability of using my Turtle Beaches as a sound source instead of either the surround sound or plasma.
post #195 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Right but can't you use the optical on the plasma and set the receiver to tv audio?
post #196 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Right but can't you use the optical on the plasma and set the receiver to tv audio?

Can you explain how I would do that?
post #197 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Hook everything up through the receiver and in the osd settings there is an option to use the tv volume instead of the receiver.
post #198 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM

If the initial volume of the receiver is a problem there is also a setting for the intial volume. I set mine real low so if I come in from work at 6am I can turn on the system without waking up the house.
post #199 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Hook everything up through the receiver and in the osd settings there is an option to use the tv volume instead of the receiver.

So I would need to run the optical out from the plasma to the Turtle Beach optical in, and run another optical from the Turtle Beach optical out to the receiver optical in?
post #200 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM

I'm thinking you can just run it out of the tv. You wouldn't need to run it to the receiver as the xbox is the source and should be run into the back of the receiver. It should pass that signal to the tv via the one hdmi and you are running the head set from the tv. Basically just replacing the tv speaker with the headset.
post #201 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking you can just run it out of the tv. You wouldn't need to run it to the receiver as the xbox is the source and should be run into the back of the receiver. It should pass that signal to the tv via the one hdmi and you are running the head set from the tv. Basically just replacing the tv speaker with the headset.

Ok so I tried running the optical out from the plasma to the Turtle Beach base optical in, and the Xbox is connected to the HDMI on the receiver, the receiver is then connected to the plasma via HDMI. I'm not seeing where I need to change the setting on the OSD. The System Setup has "HDMI audio to tv" but that doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?
post #202 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Yeah the HDMI Audio to TV doesn't work for me either. When I turn it on I get no audio from anything. If the feature actually worked, that would solve your problem.

post #203 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM

Its actually not that simple if I understand what you are saying.

If you connect to an hdmi input in the 1700 you can not select another source (example optical 1) as the audio.

Assuming you used up all your tvs hdmi inputs you can buy a $20 hdmi switch from radio shack. This gives you another hdmi input for your tv. Simply connect 1700s hdmi out to the tv. When the switch is set to the input from the avr you'll see the OSD when u need to.
post #204 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Ok, so the only way I can get HDMI Audio to TV to work is if the audio signal is stereo. When Netflix was set to 5.1 there was no audio from the receiver or TV. When I set Netflix to stereo, I got audio from the TV only.

post #205 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Ok so I tried running the optical out from the plasma to the Turtle Beach base optical in, and the Xbox is connected to the HDMI on the receiver, the receiver is then connected to the plasma via HDMI. I'm not seeing where I need to change the setting on the OSD. The System Setup has "HDMI audio to tv" but that doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?

Does the tv audio work without the headset hooked up? Mine does.

When I switch mine to "on" I only have sound from the tv. You are getting a picture?
post #206 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post

Its actually not that simple if I understand what you are saying.
If you connect to an hdmi input in the 1700 you can not select another source (example optical 1) as the audio.
Assuming you used up all your tvs hdmi inputs you can buy a $20 hdmi switch from radio shack. This gives you another hdmi input for your tv. Simply connect 1700s hdmi out to the tv. When the switch is set to the input from the avr you'll see the OSD when u need to.

You only need one HDMI input on the TV, that's all I have. You don't need all these switches and splitters. Just run the sources into the receiver, the receiver has hdmi passthrough 1.4a which is good up to and including 3D signals. I have my old DVD changer hooked up as a CD player with just rca jacks into the back of the receiver and I can hear it through the tv speakers if I switch "HDMI Audio to TV" to "On". I don't know about the optical inputs but if the tv speakers are working and the tv is getting a signal then I see no reason the tv outputs wouldn't work as it would with any other signal it receives.
post #207 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Does the tv audio work without the headset hooked up? Mine does.
When I switch mine to "on" I only have sound from the tv. You are getting a picture?

I didn't try that as it wouldn't be useful for me. Your logic seemed correct though, I don't understand why you can't switch the audio to optical in settings if you are using HDMI?! Is it possible to change the receiver surround settings without the OSD, with just the remote?
post #208 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM

I haven't figured that out yet, I would think there would have to be. I know you can on the front of the unit.

The only reason I asked if the tv volume was working was to try and narrow down where the problem lies. First make sure the tv is getting the signal and then try the outputs. If the tv volume is working then the output may be a matter of settings on the tv itself. Just trying to help.
post #209 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Also, I know absolutely nothing about the headphones you are using but... can they be hooked up like regular headphones with headphone plugs? I understand they are probably wireless but the receiver does have a headphone jack on the front.
post #210 of 846 Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post

Ok, so the only way I can get HDMI Audio to TV to work is if the audio signal is stereo. When Netflix was set to 5.1 there was no audio from the receiver or TV. When I set Netflix to stereo, I got audio from the TV only.

Might be because the tv doesn't have a 5.1 processor. Glad you got it to work.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater , Harman Kardon , Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page