2112ci AirPlay issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Anyone known how to get the Denon 2112ci to always have reliable airplay and be seen by my iPad? I'm using a range extender with a nw cable connected to it and most times I have to reset the extender to get AirPlay to work but Internet radio etc works fine no matter what.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 01:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djqwik View Post

Anyone known how to get the Denon 2112ci to always have reliable airplay and be seen by my iPad? I'm using a range extender with a nw cable connected to it and most times I have to reset the extender to get AirPlay to work but Internet radio etc works fine no matter what.....

I would suspect the problem lies with your range extender rather than with the Denon.

There are some subtle but significant differences between internet radio and airplay that might be confusing your wireless gear. In the case of internet radio, the Denon is going out and making a direct connection to the server on the internet. For air play, the Denon sends out multicast packets to advertise itself (What Apple once called "Bonjour") and then the iPad makes a connection to the Denon to send the audio.

Anyhow, what all this gobblygook means is that the wireless extender is getting confused after a while and dropping the Airtunes advertisements from the Denon, which is why it doesn't show up on your iPad. What brand/model are you using?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L1

Also for more help with your 2112CI, review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider- View Post

Quote:

I would suspect the problem lies with your range extender rather than with the Denon.

There are some subtle but significant differences between internet radio and airplay that might be confusing your wireless gear. In the case of internet radio, the Denon is going out and making a direct connection to the server on the internet. For air play, the Denon sends out multicast packets to advertise itself (What Apple once called "Bonjour") and then the iPad makes a connection to the Denon to send the audio.

Anyhow, what all this gobblygook means is that the wireless extender is getting confused after a while and dropping the Airtunes advertisements from the Denon, which is why it doesn't show up on your iPad. What brand/model are you using?

Thanks for the info.. do you think if I ran a wire from my router in m loft using one of the ports directly to the denon but still have the extender so I can get wireless in basement that would solve the issue? My house has issues gettin decent signal in the basement without this range extender..

I notice that if I unplug the range extender and the pug it back in, AirPlay works.. it is A a hawking hwren2 300n range extender.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info.. do you think if I ran a wire from my router in m loft using one of the ports directly to the denon but still have the extender so I can get wireless in basement that would solve the issue? My house has issues gettin decent signal in the basement without this range extender..

It's definitely worth a try. Wiring things is always a pain, but sometimes it's just the best way to go, especially between equipment that isn't moving all the time. (I actually only use wireless for my portable gear and my laptop, everything else is hooked up wired)
post #6 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I went through the same troubles with AirPlay and tried everything. The problem is not all network gear support Bonjour which is required for AirPlay to function properly.
I finally gave up trying this brand and that brand and got an Apple Airport Extreme.
I kind of hate to say it, but I'm now an Apple only networking house. Not only did it make my AirPlay rock solid, but range, range extending, and measured throughput in low bar situations have all improved. - Ken
post #7 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

How much area does a airport extreme cover? My Internet is on the 4th floor which is Where my main router/wifi router is.....

post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried everything from Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, and one Linksys. The box's say stuff like 5X Range, *10X* Range etc. etc.... They were all within 10-15 feet of each other in my house and fell short. The top Netgear was the marginal winner so I went with that.

Then eveyone started streaming Netflix and marginal wastn't good enough so I added Amped Wireless extenders and all seemed good - except my new AirPlay setup didn't work.
Finally I found some good info about Bonjour needing to be supported and Amped Wireless confirmed they wouldn't work. (and couldn't give me a ETA on adding Bonjour support)

Sooooo.... I went out and got an Airport Extreme and Airplay was *perfect*. But I needed the Airport to act as an extender and it will but only other Airport routers. Sooo... I went and got another Airport to act as my central wifi router and that's when I realized the Airport Extreme's range reaches my whole house just fine!

But I did need local hardwired connections that were wifi'd back to the central router so it wasn't so bad except for the cost.

In fact is worked so well that I bought a third Airport Extreme for the other end of the house. I've never had it so good. Streaming 1080p Vudu movies with not one single hiccup for a few months now. Also as you move your laptop around the house (Windows 7) it seamlessly chooses/switches to the closest Airport for maximum connection and bandwidth. (I've attemped this setup serveral times in the last decade with other equipment and it was always flaky.)

Anyway, them's my results
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

are you saying I can't use the airport extreme in bridge mode with a linksys router running ddwrt firmware? I need a few wired connections in the basement bridged from wirless

post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just order 2 refurbished 5th generation airport extremes for $125 each. going to use one as main router and one as an extender.. everything I read says this should cove my 2200 sq ft town home and have no issues with AirPlay......

post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Right now running 1 airport extreme and my extender ... Doesnt see AirPlay.. I hope when the other airport extreme comes it all works... Are there any airport extreme setting I should adjust for AirPlay?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page