Receiver (Marantz) Volume Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver: Marantz SR 6007 http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR6007
Speakers: B&W 683b floor standers http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/683.html
Mode: Stereo
HDMI/Speaker cables: AudioQuest (got them cheap)
Sources: PS3, Mac Mini, Xbox 360...Movies, Music, Games..

I basically can't hear much until I boost my volume up to 50-60% (-30 to -20 dB). Is this normal? It just seems like I have to turn this thing up quite a bit (~-30dB) just to hear anything at all. I want to make sure everything is alright before my return policy is up.

Volume on all sources (that can be turned up) turned all the way up. Receiver successfully calibrated. Speaker connections double checked and wired in phase.

What kinds of volume levels do ya'll regularly use and what types of loudness can be expected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Yes, on modern AVRs, generally a logarithmic volume scale is used such that at least 50% volume is required for minimum volume normally ranging up to 75% for loud movie and music listening. After running Audyssey, with 0db set as "reference" volume, normal TV listening would be -35db to -25db and normal movie/music listening is -25db to -15db.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I just watched a movie. I had to turn it up to -5dB to hear the dialog clearly. Is this still acceptable as well?

Thanks for your answers.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM
585-645-1006

At -5db, the volume should be quite loud (too loud for many). To improve center channel dialogue, simply bump up the center channel volume independent from the master volume. You could also try the following: (1) Set Dyn Volume (Medium), or (2) Set Dyn EQ/Vol both to OFF, or (3) use the "Multi CH Stereo" mode to place the dialogue in the SL/SR speakers and therefore closer to the main listening position.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 09-16-2012, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
On a Sony 5700ES my average volume is around -35db to -25db. The sound quality and quantity is good but I think it's weird that the lower part of the volume scale is somewhere in the phantom zone. I don't think you can escape it. Onkyo is the same and awhile ago somebody was complaining about this with their Pioneer.

Sony DA5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have a center channel hooked up. I have just these two speakers running in stereo mode. Any advice there? So far I have been completely underwhelmed..I even have them in a small room. Anything I can try on the two speakers? I dont have Audyssey EQ on (no dynamic volume or dynamic EQ). Music in movies is fairly audible, but I don't get much enjoyment out of this system with two expensive floorstanders and a supposedly high end receiver. Also, it's like quiet things are too quiet and loud things drown out everything else. I don't know what to do. Should I suspect any problems? Is there a way to correct it with settings? Is there anything I can buy?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It would probly be nice if you can match the towers with other B&Ws. So something like the HTM61 for center and 686s for surround and ASW608 sub. You should try to break in the receiver for about 50 - 100 hours maximum. Usually receivers sound better after a break in time. But the break in affects the quality more and probably won't help if your problem is that the speakers aren't getting enough power. So you could try the next model up or get the mm7055. Sorry if those recommendations are expensive coz I don't know how much you want to spend lol.

Try an optical cable like audioquest forest for music.

Sony DA5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by warensemble View Post

I don't have a center channel hooked up. I have just these two speakers running in stereo mode. Any advice there? So far I have been completely underwhelmed..I even have them in a small room. Anything I can try on the two speakers? I dont have Audyssey EQ on (no dynamic volume or dynamic EQ). Music in movies is fairly audible, but I don't get much enjoyment out of this system with two expensive floorstanders and a supposedly high end receiver. Also, it's like quiet things are too quiet and loud things drown out everything else. I don't know what to do. Should I suspect any problems? Is there a way to correct it with settings? Is there anything I can buy?

For movie and TV watching, the center speaker is actually as (if not more) important than the FL/FR speakers so suggest you consider adding a center speaker to the setup. You should run Audyssey and use both Audyssey Dyn EQ and Dyn Volume. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ linked in my sig to ensure you do the Audyssey setup correctly. And although really only a "mid-level" AVR, you should still get better results.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Will do and post back with results..due to the size of the room, I only ran with 3 different points.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM
585-645-1006

As noted in the Audyssey 101/FAQ, you want to use all 8 mic positions to provide more data points for Audyssey to use ... first mic position at the main listening position and the 7 remaining positions within a 2'-3' radius around that #1 mic position (not necessarily where others sit).