Denon AVR-4310CI or Marantz SR6006 or ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SO MANY RECEIVER CHOICES!!! eek.gif I'm upgrading mom & dad's home theater system. They want to upgrade to a high end receiver. Budget is $700 or less (leaning towards a refurb with warranty). On the bright side, I feel like I won't lose with either of these receivers...they are upgrading from a Denon AVR-688. Where I'm at now - the Marantz has more reviews, but the Denon looks better on paper. The #1 priority is something that sounds good. If there is a 7.1 system with audio quality on par with the choices above that is going to cost less than $700, that would be great. They obviously don't need a lot of "features" in an AVR. Their home theater setup is split 50/50 between watching movies/tv and listening to music.

Current setup:
Front - 2 Pioneer 40's (I spent some $$$ and upgraded the components in these last year)
Surround - 2 floor standing Polks
1 Polk sub
Blu-ray player (HDMI)
Satellite box (HDMI)
Laptop that I dump music/movies onto (HDMI)
CD changer (optical)
Turn table (analog)

Minimum requirements:
7.1 channels (expandability)
Video upscaling to 1080p (preferred)
3 HDMI inputs
1 Optical input
1 Analog RCA input

I'm hoping some of the audiophiles on the forum can sign off on these two choices or provide an equivalent alternative. Hit me with some truth, please. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Although the 4310 @ roughly $2000 when new is considered high end, it is 3 years only and only HDMI 1.3 whereas the mid level 6006 is only 1 year old, HDMI 1.4 and offers the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as does the 4310, although it's doubtful you can get either one at < $700. You don't need to spend that much however, as you can get last year's Denon 2112CI on clearance or the newer 2113CI for just over 1/2 that budget and still offers tje features you need to include the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT. Put the savings into a quality center channel speaker as roughly 85% of dialog is directed to that channel.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1986 View Post

SO MANY RECEIVER CHOICES!!! eek.gif I'm upgrading mom & dad's home theater system. They want to upgrade to a high end receiver. Budget is $700 or less (leaning towards a refurb with warranty). On the bright side, I feel like I won't lose with either of these receivers...they are upgrading from a Denon AVR-688. Where I'm at now - the Marantz has more reviews, but the Denon looks better on paper. The #1 priority is something that sounds good. If there is a 7.1 system with audio quality on par with the choices above that is going to cost less than $700, that would be great. They obviously don't need a lot of "features" in an AVR. Their home theater setup is split 50/50 between watching movies/tv and listening to music.
Current setup:
Front - 2 Pioneer 40's (I spent some $$$ and upgraded the components in these last year)
Surround - 2 floor standing Polks
1 Polk sub
Blu-ray player (HDMI)H
Satellite box (HDMI)
Laptop that I dump music/movies onto (HDMI)
CD changer (optical)
Turn table (analog)
Minimum requirements:
7.1 channels (expandability)
Video upscaling to 1080p (preferred)
3 HDMI inputs
1 Optical input
1 Analog RCA input
I'm hoping some of the audiophiles on the forum can sign off on these two choices or provide an equivalent alternative. Hit me with some truth, please. smile.gif

I tested a 3313 vs 6007 and the marantz sounded way better to my ears. I didnt buy either, ended up with an anthem.....but I will say, if I didn't listen to the anthem at the same time I had the marantz, I would have stayed with the marantz.. I also had the demon and marantz at the same time, the denon went back next day.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although the 4310 @ roughly $2000 when new is considered high end, it is 3 years only and only HDMI 1.3 whereas the mid level 6006 is only 1 year old, HDMI 1.4 and offers the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as does the 4310, although it's doubtful you can get either one at < $700. You don't need to spend that much however, as you can get last year's Denon 2112CI on clearance or the newer 2113CI for just over 1/2 that budget and still offers tje features you need to include the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT. Put the savings into a quality center channel speaker as roughly 85% of dialog is directed to that channel.

I found the 4310CI at accessories4less for $649; the 3312CI is $599 and I started considering that after I posted. HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4 isn't an issue because my folks are totally averse to the idea of 3D. I picked up the VSX-1022 because it was on sale and from what I've read, it's comparable to the 2113CI. The sound quality of the 1022 was atrocious, so that's why I'm apprehensive about getting another receiver in that price range. It's getting shipped back this week. I'll definitely pick up a center speaker in the upcoming months, but I don't want to sacrifice the quality of receiver I'm buying today. Will the 4310CI and 2113CI will produce equally good sound?
post #5 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

I tested a 3313 vs 6007 and the marantz sounded way better to my ears. I didnt buy either, ended up with an anthem.....but I will say, if I didn't listen to the anthem at the same time I had the marantz, I would have stayed with the marantz.. I also had the demon and marantz at the same time, the denon went back next day.

I was leaning towards the Denon, but you pushed me back to the center. tongue.gif Thanks a lot. wink.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
585-645-1006

The 688 uses the next lower version of Audyssey MultEQ. What is it about that AVR they don't like? Was Audyssey run correctly using either a tripod or mic boom stand as suggested in the Owner's manual? Were all 6 mic positions used?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #7 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing was wrong with the 688. Lightning struck their house the week before last and destroyed the stereo receiver in mom's studio. We decided to upgrade the receiver in the living room and move the 688 into her studio. I'm going to get her a TV & dvd player for Christmas so she can be entertained while she works. They are hoping for slightly better sound with the new receiver. The other benefit to upgrading the receiver is video upconversion. The 688 was by no means bad...the only thing I really didn't like about it was the lack of HDMI audio pass-through.

I bought a surge suppressor for the system this week, which is the most valuable upgrade so far. smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM
585-645-1006

Although the 4310CI is a much better AVR based on its internal components, it has a major issue with network card failures (not necessarily replaced because it's a refurb). The 3312 and 6006 are essentially the same model. Your best bet would be to demo both models together. Although the 2112 features video upconversion, it does not offer video upscaling that the 2113 features, although it's possible the TV itself will do an equally good job of upscaling SD content.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, that's what I needed to hear. I think I'm going to go to one of the big A/V stores in the area and see what I can listen to. I'm really leaning towards the 4310 at the moment because of the better build. I'm thinking that the network card won't be a big deal. They don't download or stream music because they live in the boonies and have data usage restrictions with their ISP. I'll be dumping most of the content onto a laptop. I'll post an update when it's all over. Thanks for your feedback and patience.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

"testing" protocol, please...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #11 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

I use two main tests, I use U571 the depth charge scene and the sub down below 200 meters scene for movies. Then I use Dave Matthews Live at Radio City Music Hall BluRay for music. Both high quality materials. As I stated in my original post, the Marantz sounded better to my ears. I found the Denon to be very "veiled" sounding music wise, it wasnt bad for movies. I found the Marantz much more "musical" and found better bass and detail during the movie test. I tested them both hooked to an Outlaw 7700 amp and using there own internal amps. The Outlaw amp helped them both with detail but the Marantz still sounded better to me. Keep in mind, I had them both in my house hooked to my speakers. Focal 836V fronts, 800CCV center and 807V surrounds. Ran Audyssey with both units with the same measurement locations. I used 6 locations for both. Then I tested the Anthem, while I still had the Marantz and ran Arc in the same 6 locations I ran for Audyssey. In my opinion with my speakers, the Anthem was better both with Music and was way better during U571, I have watched this movie 20 times easy and heard things I never heard before. Thats how I tested and made my decision.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Welllllllll.....I didn't end up doing the comparison. The folks asked me to buy whatever I felt confident with asap. I went with the 3312 and it's fantastic. The setup was a breeze and the sound is great. I found an old shelf speaker that I'm using as a center speaker. I'll upgrade that around Christmas most likely. I have no idea if the 2213 has comparable sound, but I know dad is happy with the 3312. Knowing that he got a "premium" receiver makes it sound better in his mind. I got off work early and had everything set up by the time they got home, so they're tickled.

Compared to the Pioneer VSX-1022 that I bought the week before, the 3312 is the clear winner. The video processing is comparable, but there was no contest in audio. I preferred the setup with the Denon also. These receivers are really in a different class, so any comparison isn't very fair. I have avr envy now...I have an RX-V473 at my house, but I'm wishishing it was a Denon 3312CI.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:

I use two main tests, I use U571 the depth charge scene and the sub down below 200 meters scene for movies. Then I use Dave Matthews Live at Radio City Music Hall BluRay for music. Both high quality materials. As I stated in my original post, the Marantz sounded better to my ears. I found the Denon to be very "veiled" sounding music wise, it wasnt bad for movies. I found the Marantz much more "musical" and found better bass and detail during the movie test. I tested them both hooked to an Outlaw 7700 amp and using there own internal amps. The Outlaw amp helped them both with detail but the Marantz still sounded better to me. Keep in mind, I had them both in my house hooked to my speakers. Focal 836V fronts, 800CCV center and 807V surrounds. Ran Audyssey with both units with the same measurement locations. I used 6 locations for both. Then I tested the Anthem, while I still had the Marantz and ran Arc in the same 6 locations I ran for Audyssey. In my opinion with my speakers, the Anthem was better both with Music and was way better during U571, I have watched this movie 20 times easy and heard things I never heard before. Thats how I tested and made my decision.

i see... so you didn't test...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #14 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:

i see... so you didn't test...

Not sure what you didnt understand about my post......I stated clearly that with my material it sounded better to my ears.....That was my statement......thats it. I made it a very basic statement on how I made my decision...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver