EMOTIVA, UMC-1 - Pops and undesired Noises from the Subwoofer.. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

how could "separates be any more difficult to troubleshoot"? confused.gif

math?
Additional components mean more potential points of failure....

Have anything for the OP that he can actually try? tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi Jeff

Just to address one possible issue with regards to the sub.

“#2. The Subwoofer periodically CLICKS or puts out some static. Basically if I have no music playing the subwoofer makes this pop sound periodically. When I turn the UMC-1 OFF, the pops stop.”

If the auto on is engaged on the Velodyne there is an audio pop when it first senses a signal, also the sub will go to sleep if no signal is detected after a period of silence and produce another audible pop.

Also when I first got my UMC-1 I had a number of issues with noise and distortion until I got the “.19” firmware properly installed (may take a few tries) which is really the biggest hurdle to getting the UMC-1 properly functioning.

My audible thumps appear to be separate problem from which you are experiencing and yours may very well be software related.

Oddly the thumps I’m experiencing sound very similar to when the capacitors discharge after shutting down some amps, just slightly lower, so there may be some incompatible issue between the outputs of the UMC-1 and the Bryston’s input, some sort of voltage drop, unlikely but possible.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #33 of 44 Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Quote:

how could "separates be any more difficult to troubleshoot"? confused.gif

math?
Additional components mean more potential points of failure....

Have anything for the OP that he can actually try? tongue.gif

nice try, but no... merely because the amplifiers are in a separate box doesn't make it any more difficult to troubleshoot... if anything, it makes it easier...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #34 of 44 Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

nice try, but no... merely because the amplifiers are in a separate box doesn't make it any more difficult to troubleshoot... if anything, it makes it easier...

Assume you upgraded to a UMC-1 and XPA5.smile.gif Your sub has never had a problem until the separates. Now it sounds as if the amp is fading. Bass is more of an echo and almost like a hollow sound. No authority in the bass. That description makes it easy doesn't it?smile.gif Sorry that is the best description I have of a bad amp. The other speakers sound as they should.
where do you start trouble shooting?
post #35 of 44 Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, what do you suggest (constructively) the OP should do to help him with his issues?
Because if you have nothing, there are descriptive words for your kind of postings here and they are frowned upon here in AVS.....wink.gif

Come on, I know you can help.
I have seen it on the various Pioneer threads.
Why not elsewhere? (or here!)
post #36 of 44 Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm having a similar problem which I posted on the Emotiva forum:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preamps&action=display&thread=26186

I've been setting up HTs forever and can't for the life of me figure out why I'm getting these beeps and static out of the right surround speaker on two different UMC-1 units. In addition to the steps I've tried in the Emotiva thread, I have even tried going back to component and optical hookups and still get the noise. One thing I haven't tried is plugging the UMC-1 and UPA-500 directly into the wall so will give that a try. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
post #37 of 44 Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

I'm having a similar problem which I posted on the Emotiva forum:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preamps&action=display&thread=26186
I've been setting up HTs forever and can't for the life of me figure out why I'm getting these beeps and static out of the right surround speaker on two different UMC-1 units. In addition to the steps I've tried in the Emotiva thread, I have even tried going back to component and optical hookups and still get the noise. One thing I haven't tried is plugging the UMC-1 and UPA-500 directly into the wall so will give that a try. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I haven't read the Emo thread. Does the noise stay with the same amp channel if you put different speakers on it or run another channel from the UMC to that amp channel? My bet is that you have a defective amp channel. I experienced the same problem as you and it was the amp.
Best of luck in tracing the problem.
post #38 of 44 Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely not an amp problem. I reversed the interconnects and the noise follows into different speakers on different amp channels.
post #39 of 44 Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Definitely not an amp problem. I reversed the interconnects and the noise follows into different speakers on different amp channels.

I would RMA the unit. Sounds like the UMC has an issue.
post #40 of 44 Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not convinced the unit is defective as it's the second one I received from Emotiva with the exact same problem which is pretty specific. I also remember having a similar problem with HK receivers I thought were defective because the receivers were humming themselves. The same problem on two receivers just seemed too unlikely unless there was a bad batch coming off the line. Sure enough, I fixed that problem by having the FM antenna feed through an isolator first before connecting it to a receiver. I'm convinced there's something similar with the Emotiva going on. Last night I plugged the UMC-1 and UPA-500 direct to the wall into different outlets and did not hear the problem once in 3+ hours of usage. My power conditioner is a bit old so perhaps it's introducing something. I'm going to see how tonight goes.
post #41 of 44 Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I was able to find some threads on Digital Clipping in the Emotiva forums and may have found the problem. From what I understand, significant boosts to EQ bands can result in digital clipping when DV engages as DV itself boosts frequencies. Last night, I was getting the noise after a couple hours of use and then lowered all the EQ bands and the noise appears to have gone away. I will see tonight if it holds. If so, I believe simply lowering every EQ band of every speaker so that no frequency exceeds 0 will do the trick and maintain the EQ curves.
post #42 of 44 Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Chirping is still there. I did several full resets and did not run auto EmoQ this time and so far so good. Someone had suggested that auto EmoQ sets an offset somewhere which can result in digital clipping if the master volume wasn't set properly during setup. In any case, I know receivers with Dolby Volume will disable EQ when used so having to choose isn't new to me.
post #43 of 44 Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had popping rear speakers which was resolved by bringing the trim levels down as close to zero as possible. You are not alone with this problem.
post #44 of 44 Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I have mostly solved the issue and part of the solution was to lower the trim levels. I posted what I did on the Emotiva forum. I think the biggest change was to reset the unit several times and clear whatever DV offset Auto EmoQ was setting. Once that was done, I setup EmoQ manually with the settings I wrote down.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page