Somewhat wacky alternate rear surround speakers setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All!

(tl;dr version: I'm trying to hook up the LFE/subwoofer and rear surround speaker output to the same set of stereo inputs)

I have an old but lovely Sony HT-DDW660 receiver that I'm trying to hook up an alternate set of surround speakers to, in the form of a Pyramat gaming chair (a PM450-WR, I believe) given to me by a friend during a mid-move cleanup. The chair has a pair of head rest speakers, and I believe 2 subwoofers (maybe 1) in the seat. It has an RCA input, which I assume is intended for line level input (but it works ok, and I keep it at low volumes since the signal is already amplified). It also has a cable with a headphone plug for mp3 players, etc. I currently have it connected by running an extra set of wires to the surround terminals on the receiver, and I'm inputting them to the chair through the RCA jacks.

The problem is the subwoofer signal. Because I want to make the best of the subwoofers in the chair, I hooked the subwoofer output into the left side audio input (with a Y splitter), cos I figured it wouldn't register in the left headrest speaker (and it doesn't) and since it's a mono signal anyway, it should work on the subwoofer just fine.

The problem is, when things start to get loud, it throws the receiver into "Protect" mode. I assume, from what I've read, it's because I've hooked 2 speakers up to the same jack and the system is sensing a short....As I mentioned. it works fine without the LFE added. so I don't know if there's some way to run the sub signal through something else first so it's no longer considered shorted.

I know the idea is a little dumb, and that I'm probably not using all the proper terminology, and am probably trying to bend the rules of good sense....but any help getting this setup to work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bonus dumb question: I notice the bass gets pretty thumpy just from the surround output alone through the chair's subwoofer...I assume I still really would be missing something by not having the LFE right? That's where all the thump is gonna come from during explosions and the like, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Hmmm,
Looking at the tech spec, these were intended to get line-level stereo input for main channels. Very different from what you are doing. I think to input both line-level surround and LFE, you really need to do some re-wiring and create 2 inputs.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Hmmm,
Looking at the tech spec, these were intended to get line-level stereo input for main channels. Very different from what you are doing. I think to input both line-level surround and LFE, you really need to do some re-wiring and create 2 inputs.

Do you think it would work if I used the MP3 input, since it's expecting an amplified signal? I'd have to change my RCA plugs for a headphone jack, but it's only electrical tape standing in my way. wink.gif

I considered the line level thing, which is why I mentioned it, but I couldn't understand how the receiver sending too much power (if that's the prob) could cause it to throw itself into protect mode....after all, it's only expecting passive speakers, right? I didn't imagine the speakers being amplified would be something it could detect.

On the other hand, if it's going into protect mode because of a short, why is it waiting so long to notice? It's a conundrum!

Also, my receiver is only capable of outputting amplified surround/LFE as far as I know...I don't believe there's a way to get an unamplified signal, other than plain old 2 channel stereo.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page