External amplifier worth it for my setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 driving two Monitor Audio RX-6's, along with their matching Monitor Audio center speaker. I am wondering if investing in an external amplifier is going to make any noticeable difference in my setup. I mainly use it for watching movies (honestly...99% of the time movies). I was looking at the Emotiva XPA-5, but obviously its a bit pricey, but seemed to give some head room if I added some rear speakers.

Any thoughts on this? Money better spent elsewhere? The only alternative I could think of is with my subwoofer setup - currently I have a vintage (90's model) ADS subwoofer that has a retro-fitted Dayton 250W plate amplifier in it...so I guess I could focus on that. But the subwoofer already seems to have plenty of power for my room (20 x 15 feet or so...inside an otherwise small apartment).

Thanks in advance!

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
In general, if the amps in your receiver aren't distorting or clipping when playing loud transients, then there's no need to spend money on external amps -- except for the warm, fuzzy feeling that it gives you wink.gif

You'll get more improvement in your sound by investing in surround channel speakers, which you don't mention.

After that, or if there are reasons for not getting the additional two speakers, I'd suggest upgrading to a receiver (or pre/pro + amps) which has room equalization which supports subwoofer equalization. Unfortunately, Pioneer's EQ software doesn't do anything for subwoofers.

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page