AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkroeker View Post

Hey guys,
For those of you who have set up all 11 speakers, did you set up the heights according to the Dolby or Audyssey diagrams? Has anyone tried both options and have any preferences?
I went with Audyssey.
You can see how it looks in my signature...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkroeker View Post

Hey guys,
For those of you who have set up all 11 speakers, did you set up the heights according to the Dolby or Audyssey diagrams? Has anyone tried both options and have any preferences?

I run heights and have tried both. It's a matter of taste really. Audyssey DSX derives the Height information from the front L&R channels, reduces the levels of those channels by 3dB and decorrelates the surrounds and also reduces the levels by 3dB. This gives a very front-centric presentation - a 'wall of sound' - which I personally dislike. Dolby PLIIz derives the information for the heights from the surround channels and preserves the ambience of those channels. I find the latter to be more pleasing. Also., Dolby is not nearly as demanding of speaker placement as DSX. DSX was designed to create a greater sense of ambient space which is specially good for music where I feel Dolby is more orientated towards movies, which is what I want.  Try both if you can and go with the one that sounds best to you - it is all about preference in this case, not reference.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

I went with Audyssey.
You can see how it looks in my signature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I run heights and have tried both. It's a matter of taste really. Audyssey DSX derives the Height information from the front L&R channels, reduces the levels of those channels by 3dB and decorrelates the surrounds and also reduces the levels by 3dB. This gives a very front-centric presentation - a 'wall of sound' - which I personally dislike. Dolby PLIIz derives the information for the heights from the surround channels and preserves the ambience of those channels. I find the latter to be more pleasing. Also., Dolby is not nearly as demanding of speaker placement as DSX. DSX was designed to create a greater sense of ambient space which is specially good for music where I feel Dolby is more orientated towards movies, which is what I want.  Try both if you can and go with the one that sounds best to you - it is all about preference in this case, not reference.

Thank you for the input guys!

Tim
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
What are people thinking of DTS NEO X?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Well I have been using this receiver for about a week now and I absolutely LOVE it!. I replaced an older Denon 4306 that did have Audyssey as well, however I never ran with it on because I did not like the results. After running the Audyssey setup on the 4520 and adding 2 additional rear surrounds for a 7.1 channel setup I find myself watching my whole movie collection again. It really sounds awesome. I'm driving an old pair of B&W 640I as my mains with 610i's as the rears, an ASW 1000 sub and LCR-S2 center. My dream speakers would be the B&W 803's and as soon as 10K falls into my lap I'll get them :-)

I do miss the icons for input and output on the display. I also wish it supported party mode as I have a 2112 for outdoor music that I'd like to synch with the 4520's zone 2 driving the kitchen speakers with the 2112 driving the outdoor speakers. But I'll live.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

DTS NEO X is what I am using 95% of the time.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
Has this review been posted from Home Theatre Shack?

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-receivers-preamps-processors-amplifier-reviews/65664-denon-avr-4520ci-receiver-review.html#axzz2LUPx123j

For those wondering about how well the amps run it might help?

Also interesting comments on Audyssey setup. I have found that simply running three positions of my sofa (its not a dedicated room, so it's nothing like what a lot of you guys have) yields a better result than running all eight. Thinking of getting REW or something like that to see what's going on.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

Also interesting comments on Audyssey setup. I have found that simply running three positions of my sofa (its not a dedicated room, so it's nothing like what a lot of you guys have) yields a better result than running all eight. Thinking of getting REW or something like that to see what's going on.

What about running all 8 positions from the same sofa? Or does that get picked up Audyssey?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:

I run it for everything (I have an Onkyo 3010, but it runs the same NEO:X). I am running a 9.2 setup with front heights.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I haven't set mine up yet but from what I have read, when going with 9 speakers the recommendation is to go with wides vs heights. In my layout that's the only realistic option given limited ceiling height.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

To add to this, there simply is no manufacturer that can guarantee a 0% fault tolerance rate on their products. There is always that one unit that passes QA that for whatever reason just fails. That might be one of the reason a lot of manufacturers in the audio world have 5 year warranties on speakers, and typically 2-3 years in electronics. I noticed the 4520 now has a 3 year warranty. I believe Denon AVRs typically have 2 years.

Given this flagship status, I would imagine Denon service should take care of you without much grief.

Hello,
My dealer has ordered a replacement AVR-4520CI that hopefully will arrive by next week. In the meantime, I just have to be careful not to raise the volume level that high or change sources too often.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
sticking my head in... things haven't changed i see...

mine still works...

fwiw, my home theater obsession is over, and have moved on to a new obsession... therefore, a lot of my goodies (video cal equipment, audyssey prokit, radiance mini, etc.) are available... if anyone is interested, pm me...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatRocky View Post

Any one has success using direct airplay on this receiver? i had this receiver showed up once in the airplay speaker list but never after. i called Denon and LOL it was an experience with the worst attitude problem that i got from an on line help person, and will never call denon again. and will think twice before buy Denon LOL.
i tried different solutions including IGMP on/off but nothing is working with WNDR3700 netgear router. Denon is hard wired and it is on the network. i can see rest of the airplay Speakers but not Denon.
Thank you in advance.

Yup I use Airplay daily...works pretty good...except for the slight lag between button presses on the iPhone and the Amp recognizes it...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:

To add to this, there simply is no manufacturer that can guarantee a 0% fault tolerance rate on their products. There is always that one unit that passes QA that for whatever reason just fails. That might be one of the reason a lot of manufacturers in the audio world have 5 year warranties on speakers, and typically 2-3 years in electronics. I noticed the 4520 now has a 3 year warranty. I believe Denon AVRs typically have 2 years.

Given this flagship status, I would imagine Denon service should take care of you without much grief.

All Denon "CI" models have a 3 year warranty which went into effect with the XX11CI models 3 years ago.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Watched Dredd last week, it is 1 of 2 movies encoded in DTS NEO X, which sounded great on my 11.1 system.
The movie itself...so so.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 AM

Liked: 12
Hi everyone, in case somebody else runs into the problem I ran into last week, I found a solution.

My problem was that I had received a Firmware update notification. When I try to proceed with the update, it failed for some reason. Ever since that, my receiver was always telling me I had the latest firmware even if it was clearly not the case. I tried every day ever since and the receiver was always telling me I had the latest. I tried setting the network setting from Alwyas ON to Off and it didn't make any difference.

Yesterday, I had a power failure at home. In the evening, I tried again to do the firmware update and the receiver finally saw the update and applied it.

So if you have a problem updating the firmware, disconnect the power from the receiver for a little while, it will probably fix the problem.

Hopefully this post will help somebody at some point.

Home Theater: Denon AVR-4520CI, BDP-2010CI, Hitachi 62VS69A, Paradigm Monitor 7 v3, CC-370 v4, ADP-190 v6, Mini-Monitor v4, PW-2200 v2
Living Room: Denon AVR-2807, DVD-1930CI, Samsung LN40B540 40" LCD, Apple-TV, Paradigm Titan Monitor v6, PDR W100
Patio: Paradigm Stylus-370 (Zone 2 of living room)
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, I just got my 4520 setup, coming from a 4311. My initial impressions:

I've only watched Argo and a bit of TV, so nothing too exciting yet, I will say, I like the AUDIO a bit better. I can't say for sure if the audio quality is better, it could just be in my head, but I think it sounds a bit better.

One think I know I noticed: On my 4311, if I muted an input and turned the volume to max, I could hear a hiss from all my speakers; the 4520 is absolutely silent. With the noise floor so low on the 4311, it was never an issue, just something of note. Its nice to hear nothing at max volume on the 4520.

Here's my rant list, which is a bit odd for me, as my only complaint when I upgraded to the 4311 was lack of switched outlets:

1) The display looks very cheap compared to the 4311's.

2) I really miss the IN + OUT signal display.

3) Miss the glowing ring around the power button.

4) Am frustrated at the odd height. The 4311 was exactly 3RU tall, with a vent plate above it, it fit in my rack perfectly. The 4520 is ~3.5RU tall, they don't make ~1.5RU vent plates.

5) I miss the Channel Level Button. I'd occasionally adjust the sub woofer or center channel depending on content, it was fast and easy. I did find a separate sub woofer level control though.

6) Can't cycle through sound modes by pressing a button under the display.

7) Pressing the power button doesn't shut it off, it just switches the zone off...?

I don't care a TON about the aesthetic items as the receiver is in a equipment rack in a different room. I just thought I'd mention my impressions.

I do have a few quick questions:

A) How the heck do I shut this off without a remote?

B) How do I switch between sound modes (DTS-NEO:X, Audyssey Height, Auddyssey Wide, Direct, Stereo, etc) with the remote? (As there doesn't seem to be a button on it anymore)

C) What are your thoughts on Dynamic Volume/EQ. I've always thought of these as 'compression' which eliminates dynamic range....similar to how a lot of new music is mastered.

D) How do I pull up the signal in/signal out information on screen?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM

I'm hooking mine up tonight. Going from a 4311. Can't wait!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

I've only watched Argo and a bit of TV, so nothing too exciting yet, I will say, I like the AUDIO a bit better. I can't say for sure if the audio quality is better, it could just be in my head, but I think it sounds a bit better.

One think I know I noticed: On my 4311, if I muted an input and turned the volume to max, I could hear a hiss from all my speakers; the 4520 is absolutely silent. With the noise floor so low on the 4311, it was never an issue, just something of note. Its nice to hear nothing at max volume on the 4520.

Here's my rant list, which is a bit odd for me, as my only complaint when I upgraded to the 4311 was lack of switched outlets:

4) Am frustrated at the odd height. The 4311 was exactly 3RU tall, with a vent plate above it, it fit in my rack perfectly. The 4520 is ~3.5RU tall, they don't make ~1.5RU vent plates.

5) I miss the Channel Level Button. I'd occasionally adjust the sub woofer or center channel depending on content, it was fast and easy. I did find a separate sub woofer level control though.

7) Pressing the power button doesn't shut it off, it just switches the zone off...?

I don't care a TON about the aesthetic items as the receiver is in a equipment rack in a different room. I just thought I'd mention my impressions.

B) How do I switch between sound modes (DTS-NEO:X, Audyssey Height, Auddyssey Wide, Direct, Stereo, etc) with the remote? (As there doesn't seem to be a button on it anymore)

C) What are your thoughts on Dynamic Volume/EQ. I've always thought of these as 'compression' which eliminates dynamic range....similar to how a lot of new music is mastered.

I've only had it set up for a week but I think I can address one of your questions.

A) I haven't explored this yet but it's on my radar. Sorry, can't help on this one.
B) If you hold the "music" or "movie" buttons for 5 seconds an on screen menu pops up. Keep hitting the button to change sound mode.
C) I like it because I have sleeping kids and I watch my movies at night. If I am by myself it is off.
D) Can't help you there. Sorry.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Im asuming before running audyssey, I will put the unit in pre pro mode. Do I need to assign anything else
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 2160
Quote:

Dynamic EQ isn't the same as compression in the sense I believe you mean it (although Dynamic Volume is). Check out the Audyssey FAQ, here:

g)1.   What is Dynamic Volume?

g)2.   What is Dynamic EQ?

g)4.   What's the difference between Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ & Reference Level Offset?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

C) What are your thoughts on Dynamic Volume/EQ. I've always thought of these as 'compressioput n' which eliminates dynamic range....similar to how a lot of new music is mastered.

I wouldn't say the display looks cheap, they omitted some details but in the process details that are there are legible from a further distance. Nevertheless, I do miss having both the input and output channels displayed. My solution is to pick the input channels - that way your decoding choice will tell you what you need to know about channel output (e.g. stereo = 2 channel, DTS-HD + PLIIx = 7 channel, etc.). Most AVRs I've come across typically only display the input channels anyway.

You miss the glowing ring around the power buttton? That I dont' understand! Personally, I think the fewer visual distractions from what's on my display the better.

Regarding dynamic EQ, if you listen at anything below reference (i.e. 0 db) I think it is invaluable - in fact I wouldn't buy any receiver that didn't have Dynamic EQ though THX Loudness Plus is decent too. As for Dynamic Volume, whether you need it depends on your personal circumstances. I have three young kids and Dynamic Volume allows me to listen at low volume levels at night without completely crippling the dynamics the the way typical dynamic range compressors do.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Make sure all zones are pushed off on the left side of the front panel.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:

B) How do I switch between sound modes (DTS-NEO:X, Audyssey Height, Auddyssey Wide, Direct, Stereo, etc) with the remote? (As there doesn't seem to be a button on it anymore

A. Press the Standby/ON button to place in Standby ... to power OFF it must be unplugged.
B. Press either MOVIE, MUSIC, or GAME and hold for a few seconds until menu displays on the TV.
C. Dyn EQ for all sources, all the time. Dyn Vol for TV and late night viewing only.
D. Front Display -- Channel Indicators -- Input/Output (p. 153 OM).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

D. Setup Menu > General > Information > Video > HDMI Signal Info.
D. Setup Menu > General > Information > Audio

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A. Press the Standby/ON button to place in Standby ... to power OFF it must be unplugged.

It stays in active standby if either Zone 2, 3 or 4 is active. Otherwise it turns off when the power button on either RC or the receiver is pushed. (What I mean by off is all displays off but the RC through IR or WIFI in standby mode ready for command to turn the unit on.)

Speaking of unplugging the AC cord, I did a deep rest on mine a couple of days ago because it was acting up. I finished calibrating it and setting it up. I turned it off. Next time I turned it on, it ignored the HDMI input (no audio or video) only internet radio worked. I tried turning it off and on in vain and I was about ready to reset it again until I thought about unplugging and re-plugging. That fixed the problem.
Reminds me of Microsoft Windows…
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Did someone notice any significant changes with the latest firmware update?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I would return/exchange it as well.  There haven't been too many reports of hardware issues.  However, my first 4520 had a dead surround channel, and I was forced to ask for a replacement.  Nothing wrong with my current 4520.

I’m aware of another case with a bad center channel amp DOA.
My guess those are bad power amps modules that can be interchangeable.
The good news if you’re not using all of them you can exchange modules internally as a last resort. In my present configuration there are three channel amps in my unit I’m not utilizing.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM

One last question/comment for tonight.
Is anyone here familiar with Klipsch Palladium P-37F?
I’m looking into speakers upgrade. Monitor Audio PL series might be my second option.
Thanks.

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver