post #3781 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

AustinJerry -- any updates on the "Installer lock" thing? Did it resolve itself or are you still getting that message in the web interface?

As I said in my last post, I was waiting for Monday AM to contact the Denon CI support group.  I called regular tech support this morning, and they gave me the the number to call for CI support.  I called that number, and the automated attendant prompted me to enter a 6-digit installer passcode to proceed.  mad.gif  So, I called regular tech support back, talked to a very nice guy who promised to escalate the issue internally to see if he could get an answer for me.  I am in waiting mode once again.

So, in the meantime, I reverted to problem-solving mode:

- I unplugged the 4520 for several hours.  After plugging it back in, the installer lock was still there.  So, a soft reset is not the solution.

- I did a deep reset (network reset), and the problem was still there.

- I did a processor reset, and the installer lock cleared.  (Wonder why this worked, and the deep reset didn't?)

- Using the web interface, I successfully loaded my most recent configuration save.  The installer lock was back!  eek.gif

So, I am now wondering whether the installer lock is actually associated with my most recent configuration save file, perhaps corrupted somehow.  I plan on resetting the microprocessor one more time, but this time reloading an earlier configuration file to see if this nightmare continues.  Stay tuned....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Jerry,

Thks for the feed-back and the saved (corrupted) config, was this a Pro cal?

Hugo

post #3783 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post

Hi Jerry,

Thks for the feed-back and the saved (faulty) config, was this a Pro cal?

Hugo

Yes, Hugo, all my calibrations are done with the Pro kit.

post #3784 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi again Jerry,

Even if this is a 4520 thread, a picture of the same thing in a 8801 context, so you don't feel lonely... wink.gif

Hugo

post #3785 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can anyone confirm which video processor the 4520/8801 is using?
post #3786 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi again Jerry,

Even if this is a 4520 thread, a picture of the same thing in a 8801 context, so you don't feel lonely... wink.gif

Hugo

Yes, similar AVR's, and both of us use the Pro kit.  The 4520 had a 10-minute firmware upgrade recently.  Did the 8801 also have a firmware upgrade?  I'm looking for a common thread here.

post #3787 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Can anyone confirm which video processor the 4520/8801 is using?

Starting last year with the xx12 / x006 models, all Denon / Marantz units now use an Analog Devices video chip. The higher end version in the 4520/8801 which does 4k scaling has gotten great reviews in video bench tests.

For some references here are tests I found of receivers that use the same VP as the 4520/8801:

Video bench test of Denon 2313

Video bench test of Marantz 7007

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3788 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a refurbished one from the Denon website. The HDMI is not working correctly. I have both an xBox 360 and a Sony Blu-Ray Player connected as inputs and a Pioneer Plasma as the output. I have tried the Denon in both 720i and 1080i. The Pioneer is native 720i. The xBox 360 works correctly when directly connected to the TV. I added the Denon so that it could switch between the two inputs.

The screen will display the image, and then the screen will go black, or it will show rainbow ire pattern on the screen and then go blank.

I think the refurb from Denon didn't take? Any ideas?

Alfred--
post #3789 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Jerry one of the problems could be shipping itself. If you ever watch any videos of these guys at these shipping companies on YT you will see these guys do not care if it says fragile! Sensitive electronics on a truck with a guy that does not care is not going to end well. Also buying B stock is a gamble

I will say that half of the stuff I buy new fails!! I will also say that the best products I have owned to date have been apple products. Flawless!!! My kid did have a problem once years ago and the return procedure was incredible. He had a new ipod in a day!! Knock on wood, so far all my Denon products have been good to me, I am really hoping that my new 4520 proves to me why I continue to use Denon AVR's.

I'm well aware of FedEx and UPS delivery persons not taking care with items. I ordered a fire pit from FrontGate over the summer and I watched the UPS guy literally throw it out of the back of his truck onto the street. The 1st Denon I had to ship back ended up on my front step a day later, never making it back to Denon because FedEx lost the label. The box looked like it was used as a soccer ball. I had to drive it back to my local FedEx store and have it shipped out again. While I'll agree some issues may be from rough handling I also think there are just certain things failing on these units, mainly in the HDMI part of the receiver.

Jerry
post #3790 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

As I said in my last post, I was waiting for Monday AM to contact the Denon CI support group.  I called regular tech support this morning, and they gave me the the number to call for CI support.  I called that number, and the automated attendant prompted me to enter a 6-digit installer passcode to proceed.  mad.gif  So, I called regular tech support back, talked to a very nice guy who promised to escalate the issue internally to see if he could get an answer for me.  I am in waiting mode once again.

- I unplugged the 4520 for several hours.  After plugging it back in, the installer lock was still there.  So, a soft reset is not the solution.

- I did a processor reset, and the installer lock cleared.  (Wonder why this worked, and the deep reset didn't?)

- Using the web interface, I successfully loaded my most recent configuration save.  The installer lock was back!  eek.gif

So, I am now wondering whether the installer lock is actually associated with my most recent configuration save file, perhaps corrupted somehow.  I plan on resetting the microprocessor one more time, but this time reloading an earlier configuration file to see if this nightmare continues.  Stay tuned....

Update:

Since my last post, I reset the processor several times, and the "Installer Locked" status cleared.  I then reloaded an older saved configuration, updated the configuration by re-loading my latest Audyssey Pro measurements, re-calculated the filters, and then saved them back to the 4520.  Finally, I did a fresh configuration save using the web interface.

I seem to be back to a normal state for now, but still have no understanding of what caused the Installer Locked state.

post #3791 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The latest posts in this thread are really making me wary of buying this receiver.
post #3792 of 9870 Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsayed View Post

The latest posts in this thread are really making me wary of buying this receiver.

+1... This AVR is in my short list to replace my Onkyo TX-NR809, but with all the red flags I have been reading over here I started to look at the Onkyo's 3010/5010. At this point I think I'm gonna hold my decision for two or three months and wait for Denon to address all these issues. I bought six months ago a Denon D-M39S and the sound coming from that little system is so sweet to my ears that I can't wait to have the same signature sound coming from my Polk Audio RTi A9 speakers. But I need peace of mind first smile.gif

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #3793 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 AM

Would the 4520 be worth 500 more to you than a new 4311? I went for it today mostly to have the newer look and feel. I have a 4311 already and needed another for a second location. After a few hours of reading posts, I am not sure I made the right move.

Troy
post #3794 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Bonjour Jerry,

Quote:

Yes, similar AVR's, and both of us use the Pro kit.  The 4520 had a 10-minute firmware upgrade recently.  Did the 8801 also have a firmware upgrade?  I'm looking for a common thread here.

VERY precisely:

I had NEVER had a problem Pro accessing either the 4311/4520 or initially the Marantz 8801.

Then after installing the previous (to the latest actual xxx 3481 ) FW for the 8801, I wanted to Pro recalibrate it. Now before proceeding to this Pro calibration, I decided to start from a fresh base and though made a general reset.

After this reset, I connected Pro and found that I couldn't access the 8801. Thinking that this was to it not being configured anymore, I made a simple 3 point Audyssey regular calibration which necessitated to indicate which type of configuration (H, W, rears, subs) I was using.

At that moment, when reconnecting Pro it was recognized and I finalized the now calibration and infernally saved this new Pro cal with the front buttons procedure. But at this point, after some time I discovered I couldn't Network access the 8801, as I got the screen shown above and similarly my iPhone 8801 Remote App couldn't access it.

This didn't affect my use of the 8801, as in my case, this Network acces/info is accessory. But as this isn't "normal" functioning, I sent a report to Marantz EU.

Then I wanted to give a try to a specific Pro curve tweak. This is where I then couldn't Pro access the 8801. Now I didn't want to reset it as I wasn't 100% sure that I could pro recalibrate it after this reset.

This is where electrically (+ network cable) unplugging it for @ 1 hour, "magically" restored the Pro access. I though performed the Pro cal I wanted to try.

Then last Th 21 March, the last 8801 FW was published, I installed it and had no problem accessing Pro for a new cal (but without reset). Besides this the Network interface was/is working flawlessly.

So today everything is fine and back to normal... but this was/is weird, as now I'm feeling "uncomfortable" with Pro on the 8801. So let's hope this was just an epiphenomenon definitively solved...

Hugo

post #3795 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 AM

I can't seem to get my unit to completely turn off. The display shows 'Main Zone Off' but the unit stays warm. The only way I could shut the whole system off is if I switch Zone 4 off. I have it automatic 30 minute standby, but no joy. What am I missing? Thanks

post #3796 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirchen View Post

Would the 4520 be worth 500 more to you than a new 4311? I went for it today mostly to have the newer look and feel. I have a 4311 already and needed another for a second location. After a few hours of reading posts, I am not sure I made the right move.

Not sure if the 4520 is supposed to be the replacement to the 4311, with a 53xx coming in the future. Regardless of how similar they may sound, the 4520 does have next generation improvements over the 4311, with 4K support and Audyssey LFC being launched on this AVR. Others will claim the improved DAC is not measurable in a significant percentage, but it is still an incremental improvement nonetheless. The 4311 quality seems to be top notch though, and the 4520 is getting issues resolved. So right now, it's really a toss up.

I will be unboxing my 4520 and crossing my fingers that there are no issues. Strange to think about since I never thought I would say that about a Denon product, especially the flagship unit. rolleyes.gif
post #3797 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone using headphones with their 4520? Or is a separate headphone amp/DAC still going to be superior than the built-in headphone amps of an AVR?
post #3798 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bonjour Jerry,
VERY precisely:

I had NEVER had a problem Pro accessing either the 4311/4520 or initially the Marantz 8801.

Then after installing the previous (to the latest actual xxx 3481 ) FW for the 8801, I wanted to Pro recalibrate it. Now before proceeding to this Pro calibration, I decided to start from a fresh base and though made a general reset.

After this reset, I connected Pro and found that I couldn't access the 8801. Thinking that this was to it not being configured anymore, I made a simple 3 point Audyssey regular calibration which necessitated to indicate which type of configuration (H, W, rears, subs) I was using.

At that moment, when reconnecting Pro it was recognized and I finalized the now calibration and infernally saved this new Pro cal with the front buttons procedure. But at this point, after some time I discovered I couldn't Network access the 8801, as I got the screen shown above and similarly my iPhone 8801 Remote App couldn't access it.

This didn't affect my use of the 8801, as in my case, this Network acces/info is accessory. But as this isn't "normal" functioning, I sent a report to Marantz EU.

Then I wanted to give a try to a specific Pro curve tweak. This is where I then couldn't Pro access the 8801. Now I didn't want to reset it as I wasn't 100% sure that I could pro recalibrate it after this reset.

This is where electrically (+ network cable) unplugging it for @ 1 hour, "magically" restored the Pro access. I though performed the Pro cal I wanted to try.

Then last Th 21 March, the last 8801 FW was published, I installed it and had no problem accessing Pro for a new cal (but without reset). Besides this the Network interface was/is working flawlessly.

So today everything is fine and back to normal... but this was/is weird, as now I'm feeling "uncomfortable" with Pro on the 8801. So let's hope this was just an epiphenomenon definitively solved...

Hugo

I'm happy to see things are returning to normal for you, Hugo.  What is this "front buttons procedure"?  Is this unique to the Marantz?

post #3799 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi again Jerry,
Quote:

I'm happy to see things are returning to normal for you, Hugo.  What is this "front buttons procedure"?  Is this unique to the Marantz?

1 - thks,
2 - here is the "bachup procedure", extracted from the 8801 EN manual, page 108:

so as 8801/4520 designs are similar, it's possibly also present on the 4520, but I've never seen it/used it as such.

Hugo

post #3800 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

I can't seem to get my unit to completely turn off. The display shows 'Main Zone Off' but the unit stays warm. The only way I could shut the whole system off is if I switch Zone 4 off. I have it automatic 30 minute standby, but no joy. What am I missing? Thanks

If Zone 4 is on then the unit is not off. I'm not sure what the issue is. You indicated that you CAN turn the whole system off by turning off Zone 4... that seems normal to me. If one of the zones is on then the unit isn't completely off right?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3801 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 392
As I recall, there was a discussion about how all of the non-main zones turn on unexpectedly when the receiver is powered on. The workaround is to explicitly select the input you want to watch instead of using the remote's power-on button. Selecting an input turns on only the main zone. This problem might be only with Harmony remotes. Sorry, I don't recall all of the details.

Selden
post #3802 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:

As I said in my last post, I was waiting for Monday AM to contact the Denon CI support group.  I called regular tech support this morning, and they gave me the the number to call for CI support.  I called that number, and the automated attendant prompted me to enter a 6-digit installer passcode to proceed.  mad.gif   So, I called regular tech support back, talked to a very nice guy who promised to escalate the issue internally to see if he could get an answer for me.  I am in waiting mode once again.

This all sounds like WE (the consumers) are the ones with the task of re-inventing the 4520…
It’s such a shame we’re spending all that time on forums trying to resolve issues instead of sitting back and enjoying our new toy…
post #3803 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I'm about to start unboxing the 4520 and setting up. I am coming from MCACC and haven't used Audyssey before. Will there be any recommended changes I need to make, or is everything automatically going to be dialed in and non-configurable? On MCACC I usually had to change some of the configurations (for instance, from large to small, etc).
post #3804 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Large to small and raising crossovers to 80Hz if they're lower are the most common changes that need to be made. However, there are quite a few subtleties not mentioned in the overly-brief instructions in the manual. Please take a look at the Audyssey FAQ so you can avoid some of the problems. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993

Selden
post #3805 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^sgt, batpig and jdsmoothie have links in their sigs to very useful guides to setting up Denons in general and Audyssey in particular. It will be well worth your time to glance at them.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3806 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks very much, I'll take a look there shortly.
post #3807 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi again Jerry,
1 - thks,
2 - here is the "bachup procedure", extracted from the 8801 EN manual, page 108:

so as 8801/4520 designs are similar, it's possibly also present on the 4520, but I've never seen it/used it as such.

Hugo

Evidently the 4520 does not have this feature, Hugo.

post #3808 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi again Jerry,
1 - thks,

Hugo
That might explain why a lot of users end up having an older config on their AVR-4520 after a firmware update. The Dual Backup Memory feature might not be documented in the AVR-4520 manual or maybe not even accessible from the buttons and GUI, but that doesn't mean the Firmware doesn't have it inside. So the firmware might be using this memory section anyway without us knowing and use it by mistake to restore the settings after a firmware update. Interresting to know, Thanks Hugo.

Home Theater: Denon AVR-4520CI, BDP-2010CI, Hitachi 62VS69A, Paradigm Monitor 7 v3, CC-370 v4, ADP-190 v6, Mini-Monitor v4, PW-2200 v2
Living Room: Denon AVR-2807, DVD-1930CI, Samsung LN40B540 40" LCD, Apple-TV, Paradigm Titan Monitor v6, PDR W100
Patio: Paradigm Stylus-370 (Zone 2 of living room)
post #3809 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

As I recall, there was a discussion about how all of the non-main zones turn on unexpectedly when the receiver is powered on. The workaround is to explicitly select the input you want to watch instead of using the remote's power-on button. Selecting an input turns on only the main zone. This problem might be only with Harmony remotes. Sorry, I don't recall all of the details.

This is related to the Harmony remote. The workaround is to manually teach the harmony remote from the unit's original remote control - therefore it's not a 4520 issue.
post #3810 of 9870 Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If Zone 4 is on then the unit is not off. I'm not sure what the issue is. You indicated that you CAN turn the whole system off by turning off Zone 4... that seems normal to me. If one of the zones is on then the unit isn't completely off right?
Yes, true. I turned 'HDMI Control' off as well. Not sure why Zone 4 turns on and stays on keeping unit warm

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page