Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 9160 Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post

I was looking for a replacement of my AVR-4306, logical the AVR4520 is what i'm looking for smile.gif
But why o why did Denon removed optical and coaxial outputs???
Also on the front no longer inputs and output displayed at the same time.
i really don't understand this.
If this was to save costs! than i wish they made a little more expensive model.
No optical and coaxial outputs, I'm not happy with that as i use those quit often.
Than they should have skipped the 10/100 hup/switch on it than.
I skip the AVR-4520
Sorry Denon, this time i pass.

I totally understand hating the lack of digital inputs...I upgraded from my 4306...but man, I have removed pounds of cabling from my system due to the lack of need of a HDMI 4 way switch, HDMI splitter (for my displays), 6Ch analog inputs etc....

If you can figure out a way to get away w/ the 4 digital inputs...I HIGHLY suggest upgrading to this model. (Esp if you need 4ohm, like I do)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9160 Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

1. Macro
2. Ensure HDMI-CEC/ARC on the TV is enabled and TV audio set to External speaker/home theater as well as HDMI Control on the AVR must be enabled.
3. AFAIK, no.
4. Likely by selecting a unique source only to Zone 4 or connecting an HDMI display with speakers.

Thanks! I'll try this out soon!
post #363 of 9160 Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Absolutely.  So far, after less than a day with the 4520, I am much more comfortable.  While watching the debate last night, I tweaked the settings on the Harmony remote, starting with the device settings I was using with the 4311 (since the 4520 is not in the Harmony database yet).  The Harmony is now controlling the 4520 quite well, which adds to my comfort level considerably.  Itwas very easy to program the missing commands (e.g InstaPreview).

This is exactly what I wanted to know about...

Should I program my 890 for a 4311, or the 4520 and learn commands? (Since the Harmony software does suggest the 4311 after completing the lookup)
post #364 of 9160 Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

This is exactly what I wanted to know about...
Should I program my 890 for a 4311, or the 4520 and learn commands? (Since the Harmony software does suggest the 4311 after completing the lookup)

Since the 4520 is not in the databse, you need to start with device=4311..  Then you cah change the name of the device to AVR4520, and learn the additional commands.

mrkalel likes this.
post #365 of 9160 Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

With regards to the SB setting, can't you simply access the list of options by pressing and holding the MOVIE button?

When in music mode with PLIIx Music on the front panel display, if I press and hold the Music button, there is no choice for PLII Music (i.e. without the surround Back speakers).  Worse yet, I found out that my Harmony command "surrback" only works when the source is Dolby Digital.  So no, I haven't figured out how to turn off the Surround Back speakers yet.

post #366 of 9160 Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I have posted measurements and comments regarding two 4520 features, "bass sync" and "Low Frequency Containment" in the Audyssey Pro Kit thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread-faq-in-post-1/3210#post_22489446

post #367 of 9160 Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post

I was looking for a replacement of my AVR-4306, logical the AVR4520 is what i'm looking for smile.gif
But why o why did Denon removed optical and coaxial outputs???
Also on the front no longer inputs and output displayed at the same time.
i really don't understand this.
If this was to save costs! than i wish they made a little more expensive model.
No optical and coaxial outputs, I'm not happy with that as i use those quit often.
Than they should have skipped the 10/100 hup/switch on it than.
I skip the AVR-4520
Sorry Denon, this time i pass.

I totally understand hating the lack of digital inputs...I upgraded from my 4306...but man, I have removed pounds of cabling from my system due to the lack of need of a HDMI 4 way switch, HDMI splitter (for my displays), 6Ch analog inputs etc....

If you can figure out a way to get away w/ the 4 digital inputs...I HIGHLY suggest upgrading to this model. (Esp if you need 4ohm, like I do)

read a little more closely, he was complaining about the lack of OUTPUTS wink.gif The 4520 actually doesn't lose any coax inputs/outputs compared to the 4306. The 4306 had two coax inputs, four optical inputs, and two optical outputs... the 4520 has two of each inputs and no outputs. So you lose 2 optical inputs and outputs... but of course you get a crap-ton more HDMI connectivity... 9 amps... 11ch expansion... better network features.... etc.

honestly, he's probably the only person who is going to miss an optical output. I'm always a little amused when people post their shock/horror/dismay about the gradual pruning of unused legacy inputs. Oh my! The S-video!! What will I do with my LaserDisc player!?!

obviously I exaggerate a bit but I have to imagine the subset of people who actually used that optical output (e.g. for a digital recording loop or something) is vanishingly small...

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #368 of 9160 Old 10-13-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:

read a little more closely, he was complaining about the lack of OUTPUTS wink.gif The 4520 actually doesn't lose any coax inputs/outputs compared to the 4306. The 4306 had two coax inputs, four optical inputs, and two optical outputs... the 4520 has two of each inputs and no outputs. So you lose 2 optical inputs and outputs... but of course you get a crap-ton more HDMI connectivity... 9 amps... 11ch expansion... better network features.... etc.
honestly, he's probably the only person who is going to miss an optical output. I'm always a little amused when people post their shock/horror/dismay about the gradual pruning of unused legacy inputs. Oh my! The S-video!! What will I do with my LaserDisc player!?!
obviously I exaggerate a bit but I have to imagine the subset of people who actually used that optical output (e.g. for a digital recording loop or something) is vanishingly small...

LOL...That's what I get for speed reading with a drink. smile.gif

Honestly I could've found a use for an Optical out for my headphones...(but I'm not sure the Amp would output any HDMI sources through that anyway...)

I can't wait to run Audyssey as soon as I can get some quite time...really anticipating to hear what it does to the system...
post #369 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 AM

Liked: 10
Though at the end I got the Onkyo 5010, I'm glad the reports seem so good to the 4520. Congratulations to the owners.
post #370 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post

I think that the standard lossless format these days is FLAC. Like everything with crApple, AIFF, ALAC, etc is just too proprietary. As long as it supports FLAC, that's really all that matters. And that crApple devices don't support FLAC is the reason why I avoid any of their products (and iTunes is simply THE worst piece of software in existence!).

Both formats - AIFF and ALAC - are open and documented. You use FLAC, I use ALAC - so saying that supporting FLAC is all that matters is only right for you. For me, it would be the other way round but I do of course prefer that the receiver supports as many as possible.

And for iTunes being worst part of software in existence is pure ignorance - there are huge amounts of bad software out there. ITunes is actually pretty good, I prefer this to other software I've tried - winamp, windows media player, amarok, gnome media player and songbird. Again, people have different preferences and there's no reason to say that everything you don't prefer must be the worst in existence.
NainoKami likes this.
post #371 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Has anyone used the 4520 with Apple Airplay? I have a lot of music in 24/96 and 48/24, in addition a mix of lossless CDs and purchased AACs/MP3s. Thus, I'm very interested in whether or not the AVR will receive these at full quality from iTunes.

AppleTV unfortunately resamples everything to 48 kHZ, so I prefer to play from my Squeezebox Touch... and I find the software there to be lacking quite a lot (in particular, it hates it when my computer goes to sleep and I want to stream from spotify).
post #372 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Does the 4520 support Blue-Tooth as an input source? Does it have an Android app that can control the unit via blue-tooth?
post #373 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no bluetooth. Smartphone control works via IP through your local network, so the smartphone just needs to hop on the home WiFi LAN and you can control the receiver.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #374 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy01 View Post

Has anyone used the 4520 with Apple Airplay? I have a lot of music in 24/96 and 48/24, in addition a mix of lossless CDs and purchased AACs/MP3s. Thus, I'm very interested in whether or not the AVR will receive these at full quality from iTunes.

AppleTV unfortunately resamples everything to 48 kHZ, so I prefer to play from my Squeezebox Touch... and I find the software there to be lacking quite a lot (in particular, it hates it when my computer goes to sleep and I want to stream from spotify).

I doubt anyone's tried it yet with the 4520 since it's so new, but according to users on the 4311ci thread the AirPlay stream doesn't involve any resampling. For example user FilmMixer (who is a professional mixer ) posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

If you are using iTunes and Apple Lossless, Airplay, as implemented on the Denon's, streams at 44.1 using ALAC.... I have confirmed this by streaming ALAC DTS-CD files from iTunes via Airplay.... the newer Apple TV's sample rate convert everything to 48k..

If you wants the highest quality direct stream from iTunes, IMO, Airplay is the way to go.

I don't know for sure if it can play 24/96 though, but I don't see why not.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #375 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

no bluetooth. Smartphone control works via IP through your local network, so the smartphone just needs to hop on the home WiFi LAN and you can control the receiver.

Thanks. That should work for me but let me ask a follow up question. I have all of my stereo music saved as 320kb files on my network. Will I be able to use the app to create playlists and play the music files on the denon just by using the smartphone app?

Also, if I was to rip my DTS 5.1 CD's as .wav files and store them on the network, will the Denon be able to play these and decode the DTS from the .wav files?
post #376 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still trying to figure out how to select a multi-channel music playback mode that doesn't use the surround back speakers (I.e. PLII Music vs. PLIIx Music). So far, the only way I can accomplish this is to go into the speaker configuration and set Surround Back=None. This is pretty cumbersome. Has anyone figured this out yet?
post #377 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy01 View Post

I have used Airplay from iTunes on my PC streaming to the 4520 and it works and sounds just fine.  I played several songs, including a 320kbps version or two.  Now, I didn't race into the equipment room to look at the display to see if it indicated bitrate, but the sound was very good to my ears and the OSD showed title and other info.  It was a feature I didn't seek out, but now that I have it, I have used it with excellent results.  The feature on the remote to change audio codec comes in handy when doing this.

Frank Marin likes this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #378 of 9160 Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I have used Airplay from iTunes on my PC streaming to the 4520 and it works and sounds just fine.  I played several songs, including a 320kbps version or two.  Now, I didn't race into the equipment room to look at the display to see if it indicated bitrate, but the sound was very good to my ears and the OSD showed title and other info.  It was a feature I didn't seek out, but now that I have it, I have used it with excellent results.  The feature on the remote to change audio codec comes in handy when doing this.

It would be very interesting if you could find out how it behaves with 24/96.

I have a Denon 3808 (upgraded to A) today, and an upgrade - for XT32, airplay, more HDMI inputs and overall improved sound - is tempting. The extra height might be a big problem, but the bigger the temptation, the bigger the incentive to see past that wink.gif
post #379 of 9160 Old 10-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can play my iTunes two ways - one is airplay from a iPhone or iPad...and the other is through Sonos which is connected to the Denon through a digital input -- I just played a regular-old MP3 (256k) both ways and it sounded much better on Sonos. I also have an Airport express which I assume is the same as Airplay so I didn't try that
post #380 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 AM

I have a Harmony 890. I couldn't get anything to work with the suggested device, so I ended up adding the 4520 as a 3313. Most things work EXCEPT power on. Anyone have any insight?
post #381 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanley View Post

I have a Harmony 890. I couldn't get anything to work with the suggested device, so I ended up adding the 4520 as a 3313. Most things work EXCEPT power on. Anyone have any insight?

The power on command should work. When I upgraded to the 4520, my Harmony One was set up for my 4311, and all the 4311 commands worked fine with the 4520. If you continue to have trouble, you should be able to learn the command from the original remote.
post #382 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanley View Post

I also used the 4311 in my universal remote...and everything seems to work OK
post #383 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How does the actual sound quality of the 4520 compare to the 4310 or 4311?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #384 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

How does the actual sound quality of the 4520 compare to the 4310 or 4311?

Well, since both the 4311 and the 4520 have MultEQ XT32, and since the electronics are not changed considerably, one would expect the sound to be about the same. Of course, there has been much discussion about XT32 sounding better than XT, so one would expect an improvement over the 4310.

In my personal experience, I find the 4520 has a slightly improved sound quality in the bass region. This is because I use the Pro kit to calibrate the AVR, and there is a bug in the way the 4311 handled the second subwoofer's trim and distance settings (for more information on this topic, go to the Audyssey Pro Kit thread, where it is being discussed). The 4520 does not exhibit the bug and, as a result, the bass calibration is correct (and sounds better). If you don't use the Pro kit, then I suspect the 4311 and the 4520 will sound roughly the same--both are very good.
post #385 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Has anyone been able to compare the Denon AVR-4520CI to the Pioneer Elite SC-68? I see many glowing reviews on the Pioneer but I don't see anything on the Denon. As a matter of fact, HomeTheater.com gave the Pioneer top dog status, but I couldn't see a single Denon on the list. This is a far cry from back in 2009 when I was researching a receiver and found Denons dominating; I ended up buying a 4308CI which has been nice to me over the years, but I'm in the middle of a 3D upgrade and need a new receiver. The Pioneer, however, is extremely hard to find for purchase (what the funk?) but I was able to find the Denon available for purchase right off the bat.

Any thoughts?
post #386 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the 4520 has been out for literally a few weeks. You aren't going to see a bunch of reviews yet because it's so new.

the 4311 on the other hand has been out almost 2 years and there is a HUGE thread devoted to it, and it is a class leader. Many people in that thread switched over from Pio Elite's and nearly all are happy with the switch, thanks to the superior Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration software (especially in the bass region and specifically the subwoofers, which Pio doesn't really handle well).

HomeTheater.com didn't review the 4311. I wouldn't let their lack of thoroughness dissuade you.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #387 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

the 4520 has been out for literally a few weeks. You aren't going to see a bunch of reviews yet because it's so new.
the 4311 on the other hand has been out almost 2 years and there is a HUGE thread devoted to it, and it is a class leader. Many people in that thread switched over from Pio Elite's and nearly all are happy with the switch, thanks to the superior Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration software (especially in the bass region and specifically the subwoofers, which Pio doesn't really handle well).
HomeTheater.com didn't review the 4311. I wouldn't let their lack of thoroughness dissuade you.

Denon told me today they are out until possibly early November, just FYI for the thread.
post #388 of 9160 Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

The power on command should work. When I upgraded to the 4520, my Harmony One was set up for my 4311, and all the 4311 commands worked fine with the 4520. If you continue to have trouble, you should be able to learn the command from the original remote.

I should have mentioned that I'm using a Harmony 890 with a wireless extender directly connected to the IR in on the back of the receiver. I just tried configuring the wireless extender to use the IR blaster instead of the directly connected IR cable and now things seem to be working.
post #389 of 9160 Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

How many participants in this thread are actual owners of the 4520 at this time, other than flint350 and myself?

post #390 of 9160 Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM

I've had my 4520 about a week.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page