post #4141 of 10586 Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

You won't have Firmware update notifications...
That can be a good thing..
I have no issues with mine, and never did any updates. Too many people are doing updates when there is nothing wrong with their set, and some of these folks end up bricking a perfectly good set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 10586 Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

That can be a good thing..
I have no issues with mine, and never did any updates. Too many people are doing updates when there is nothing wrong with their set, and some of these folks end up bricking a perfectly good set.

I couldn't agree more, if it works....don't fix it....
One of the engineers I work with said to me the other day....If it's not broke, it doesn't have enough features...eek.gif

On another, unrelated note, I called Denon today regarding the issues I'm having my 4520.
Without any hassle at all they offered me a refund or replacement, whichever I wanted. I must say, this did make me feel a little better about Denon in general. Because of their courteous, almost apologetic response to my issue, I decided to opt for the replacement.

I hope I have better luck with the second unit....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #4143 of 10586 Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Are any 4520 users here using (internal amplification with) KEF-LS50 speakers? How is this match up? I am Looking for opinions from those who are either using this combination or have tried it (including in a dealer showroom).

Chucka
post #4144 of 10586 Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Liked: 11
Guys, I have a question for the HDMI folks in this thread. I am thinking of getting a 4520 and would like to use it as part of a video distribution system. I would like to bring HDMI out of my HTPC (This has a bluray drive in it, a TV tuner that is cablecard compatible for WMC TV viewing, and XBMC for movies and videos) and I would like to get full audio to the receiver while still getting audio and video to my other TVs that are not connected to AVR's.

Anyone doing anything like this? I asked this in the HDMI thread and it suddenly sounded much more complicated than I thought it was...
post #4145 of 10586 Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Can an AVR cause an issue with a soundbar?
I ask because taking my 4520 out of line seems to have fixed seemingly unrelated issues. Here's some detail...

I have a Sharp 70" LED TV hooked up to a Boston Acoustics soundbar via optical link. I had my DirecTV box running to the 4520 via HDMI then to the TV via HDMI. With the 4520 inline the soundbar would shutdown every 3~4 hours for no apparent reason.

Since taking the 4520 out of line Sunday afternoon it hasn't shutdown once, DirecTV box goes straight to the TV now. I also don't recall any issues when I had my 3313 in line...

Is it coincidence, or is it possible the 4520 had something to do with it?

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
post #4146 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
^^
Can't say, however, as DirecTV firmware updates have been known to cause HDMI handshake issues with AVRs, the best configuration is going to be HDMI straight to the TV with optical from the DTV to the AVR and in your case, another optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4147 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

Guys, I have a question for the HDMI folks in this thread. I am thinking of getting a 4520 and would like to use it as part of a video distribution system. I would like to bring HDMI out of my HTPC (This has a bluray drive in it, a TV tuner that is cablecard compatible for WMC TV viewing, and XBMC for movies and videos) and I would like to get full audio to the receiver while still getting audio and video to my other TVs that are not connected to AVR's.

Anyone doing anything like this? I asked this in the HDMI thread and it suddenly sounded much more complicated than I thought it was...

So then your plan is to connect the HTPC to an HDMI splitter and pass one output to the AVR and the other outputs to TVs? If yes, then make sure the splitter you use has EDID override (1st link) otherwise a standard splitter (2nd link) will downmix the audio and video to the AVR to match the resolution/audio capability of the lowest capable TV (eg. if 720p and 2CH stereo then that is what every device would receive to include the AVR).

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x2-hdmi-splitter-edid.html

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011308&p_id=8205&seq=1&format=2

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #4148 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

So then your plan is to connect the HTPC to an HDMI splitter and pass one output to the AVR and the other outputs to TVs? If yes, then make sure the splitter you use has EDID override (1st link) otherwise a standard splitter (2nd link) will downmix the audio and video to the AVR to match the resolution/audio capability of the lowest capable TV (eg. if 720p and 2CH stereo then that is what every device would receive to include the AVR).

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x2-hdmi-splitter-edid.html

You can also use and EDID override, but the splitter jdsmoothie recommends would be a much easier solution.

EDIT: I just noticed that splitter with EDID is only HDMI 1.3. Not sure if that matters to you.
post #4149 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:

^^
Can't say, however, as DirecTV firmware updates have been known to cause HDMI handshake issues with AVRs, the best configuration is going to be HDMI straight to the TV with optical from the DTV to the AVR and in your case, another optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.

I am aware of the possible HDMI handshake issues. From my limited understanding, when these problems arise there would be issues with both audio and video?
Video pass-through has never been interrupted, just the sound.

I was just wondering if it could possibly be AVR related.

post #4150 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Hi,
I was reading the first page of this forum when doing comparisson between 4311 vs 4520 and found this "- the 2CH Direct/Stereo custom settings can ONLY be used if you physically have a separate set of "B" dedicated 2CH speakers".
What exactly means?
I can´t hear 2 CH Stereo y I dont have a dedicated/separated 2 CH speakers? unlike 4311?

Thank you
post #4151 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I was reading the first page of this forum when doing comparison between 4311 vs 4520 and found this "- the 2CH Direct/Stereo custom settings can ONLY be used if you physically have a separate set of "B" dedicated 2CH speakers".
What exactly means?

That was a concern to me as well and its only partially true.
As long as you listen to 2 channel on the same source this avr remembers it. In other words, most of my sources are using Audyssey and the avr reverts to that but I listen to music from one DVD player only (which is also networked to my PC) and when I go to that source the 4520 automatically reverts to my stereo settings and cancels Audyssey. I almost didn't buy this receiver because of that but in my situation it's a non issue because I listen to music mostly from only that one source. If you listen to music and watch movies from the same source you'd have to go into the settings and make your changes but this receiver associates different settings with different sources so it's really no different than the previous versions. There's a FAQ in the beginning of this thread which probably should be changed. Basically this receiver will remember whatever settings you've attached to a particular source.
evo5 likes this.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #4152 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I am aware of the possible HDMI handshake issues. From my limited understanding, when these problems arise there would be issues with both audio and video?
Video pass-through has never been interrupted, just the sound.

I was just wondering if it could possibly be AVR related.

Not necessarily .... the issue can be audio only or video only as well and is more often than not only one of them, not both.

post #4153 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

That was a concern to me as well and its only partially true.
As long as you listen to 2 channel on the same source this avr remembers it. In other words, most of my sources are using Audyssey and the avr reverts to that but I listen to music from one DVD player only (which is also networked to my PC) and when I go to that source the 4520 automatically reverts to my stereo settings and cancels Audyssey. I almost didn't buy this receiver because of that but in my situation it's a non issue because I listen to music mostly from only that one source. If you listen to music and watch movies from the same source you'd have to go into the settings and make your changes but this receiver associates different settings with different sources so it's really no different than the previous versions. There's a FAQ in the beginning of this thread which probably should be changed. Basically this receiver will remember whatever settings you've attached to a particular source.

You are confusing surround mode with the separate feature of "2CH Playback" settings (p. 145 OM) which allows you to change whether or not a sub is used, as well as the LARGE/SMALL, distance, volume, LFE+Main/LFE, and crossover setting for the Front B speakers only whereas on previous year's models the feature could be applied to the Front A speakers as well and this is what the note on page 1 is referencing.

post #4154 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
[You are confusing surround mode with the separate feature of "2CH Playback" settings (p. 145 OM) which allows you to change whether or not a sub is used, as well as the LARGE/SMALL, distance, volume, LFE+Main/LFE, and crossover setting for the Front B speakers only whereas on previous year's models the feature could be applied to the Front A speakers as well and this is what the note on page 1 is referencing./QUOTE]

I don't have my manual handy, but what I meant to say is that this receiver remembers modes by source, which works for me because I listen to music from one source only and when I go to that source the 4520 automatically goes to stereo and cancels the Audyssey/DTS:X and loudness features which I use for movies. I don't doubt that you're right about the crossover/sub settings because I use the same for movies and music now but I'm looking for new speakers so that may change depending on what I end up with.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #4155 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:

I also don't recall any issues when I had my 3313 in line...

Quote:

as DirecTV firmware updates have been known to cause HDMI handshake issues with AVRs.

Quote:

Not necessarily .... the issue can be audio only or video only as well and is more often than not only one of them, not both.

If it is indeed an HDMI handshake issue, I would have to lean towards the 4520 being the problem in the chain, not the DirecTV box.
The issue didn't exist with the 3313 in the system before I got the 4520, and tonight I put the 3313 back in while I await the replacement 4520...So far no problems....

post #4156 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 868
I have two hr24's connected to my 4520 using HDMI. I have zero handshake issues. I say this only to provide a data point that there doesn't seem to be an issue with DTV DVR's and the 4520.

There was an issue with a DTV firmware version last year that caused HDMI issues, but that problem has long since been resolved.
post #4157 of 10586 Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I have two hr24's connected to my 4520 using HDMI. I have zero handshake issues. I say this only to provide a data point that there doesn't seem to be an issue with DTV DVR's and the 4520.

There was an issue with a DTV firmware version last year that caused HDMI issues, but that problem has long since been resolved.

I have an HR21, but like I said, I don't think that is where the issue lies....

I think I just got a bum 4520...

post #4158 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo5 View Post

Hi,
I was reading the first page of this forum when doing comparisson between 4311 vs 4520 and found this "- the 2CH Direct/Stereo custom settings can ONLY be used if you physically have a separate set of "B" dedicated 2CH speakers".
What exactly means?I can´t hear 2 CH Stereo y I dont have a dedicated/separated 2 CH speakers? unlike 4311?
Thank you
To clarify, no it does not mean that you would need dedicated/separated 2 CH speakers. If you don't currently use the 4311's custom settings for stereo mode feature its absence will make no diff to you at all.

If at some point you do want dedicated Stereo mode settings, I believe you can achieve those in the 4520 using Quick Select function. For ex., if you normally run all speakers as small with a xover to the sub at 80 for HT, but for stereo you want front speakers set to large no sub, you'd first memorize QS1 to your HT mode. You'd then make the stereo settings and memorize that as QS2.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #4159 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 AM

Liked: 10
I experienced this same thing a couple of months ago. At the time the only cure was to pull the power cord. After I did this it would work fine for a couple of weeks and the jutter and green screen would return and I had to pull the power cord. I have had my unit since November 2012. The jutter and green screen started after the second firmware update. For about the past couple of months I have had no problems and I don't have clue why it stopped. I sent an email to Denon tech support and they said they were overwhelmed and didn't have time to look into it. I posted on this forum and got no response. Maybe you will be lucky and it will go away like mine did. Other than pulling the power cord I don't have any other suggestions.
post #4160 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo5 View Post

Hi,
What exactly means?I can´t hear 2 CH Stereo y I dont have a dedicated/separated 2 CH speakers? unlike 4311?
Thank you
To clarify, no it does not mean that you would need dedicated/separated 2 CH speakers. If you don't currently use the 4311's custom settings for stereo mode feature its absence will make no diff to you at all.

If at some point you do want dedicated Stereo mode settings, I believe you can achieve those in the 4520 using Quick Select function. For ex., if you normally run all speakers as small with a xover to the sub at 80 for HT, but for stereo you want front speakers set to large no sub, you'd first memorize QS1 to your HT mode. You'd then make the stereo settings and memorize that as QS2.

I don't think Quick Selects can memorize fundamental setup parameters like speaker size/distance/crossover etc. I may be wrong though.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4161 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

^Interesting point. I've never tried QS.

Personally I find that all the settings that work well for HT work just as well for Stereo.
And we don't know whether this OP really cares about this feature either, as it seems he was asking if he needed dedicated stereo speakers to listen in Stereo with this model.

And I just theoretically picked something an "audiophile" might consider desirable-i.e., listening to Stereo with the FR/L set to Large.

If QS doesn't work for this, I spose one could use the far less convenient but more capable Network Save/Load. Or perhaps one could program a univ remote to do the required steps.

post #4162 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have 8 ohm bookshelf speakers that have a sensitivity of 87. Are most people using the internal amps on the 4520 ? I would be using it in a 5.1 configuration. The latest and greatest Audyssey, is what's sparking my interest.

THANKS in Advance !!
post #4163 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

I have 8 ohm bookshelf speakers that have a sensitivity of 87. Are most people using the internal amps on the 4520 ? I would be using it in a 5.1 configuration. The latest and greatest Audyssey, is what's sparking my interest.

THANKS in Advance !!

The 4520 has very capable amplifiers..
Whether or not you need more power really depends upon:
  • Room Size
  • Average listening levels
  • Type of source material
  • Audyssey settings

The mentioned loudspeaker specs are average, suggest you take a listen then decide..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #4164 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

I have 8 ohm bookshelf speakers that have a sensitivity of 87. Are most people using the internal amps on the 4520 ? I would be using it in a 5.1 configuration. The latest and greatest Audyssey, is what's sparking my interest...
"The latest and greatest Audyssey" is awesome indeed. Lots of folks likin' the Denon AVR amps for 5.1, this model included.

post #4165 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM

As far as amps go here is my 2 cents. My front and center channel speakers are power hungry 4 Ohm Linn speakers, the rest (Side, Back and FH) are 8 Ohm Linn wall mounts that need less power. What I have done, in order to insure that the Denon amps can push my mains admirably, is move my side, back and FH speakers to an Emotiva UPA-700 amp (7X 80W) and left only the front and center connected to the Denon. This way I have the full power availability of the internal amps to drive the 3 main speakers.
post #4166 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Interesting approach. Most probably would have gone the other way, getting a 3-ch hoss of an amp for the front three speakers and then letting the Denon's internal amps power the six surround channels, which not only are easier to drive based on spec but require less power (less content) in a more general sense.

But if it sounds good to you, rock on! biggrin.gif It's likely that with only 3 channels to drive, the 4520 can put out 200+ w/ch into a 4-ohm load.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4167 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

It's likely that with only 3 channels to drive, the 4520 can put out 200+ w/ch into a 4-ohm load.

Short term, yes, continuous, no. That means for most music contents I also think the Denon could deliver 200W+ into two channel, 4 ohms.
post #4168 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I don't think Quick Selects can memorize fundamental setup parameters like speaker size/distance/crossover etc. I may be wrong though.

They don't.

post #4169 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

I don't have my manual handy, but what I meant to say is that this receiver remembers modes by source, which works for me because I listen to music from one source only and when I go to that source the 4520 automatically goes to stereo and cancels the Audyssey/DTS:X and loudness features which I use for movies. I don't doubt that you're right about the crossover/sub settings because I use the same for movies and music now but I'm looking for new speakers so that may change depending on what I end up with.

Right. The AVR does what you're after; however, my point was that the FAQ does not need to be changed as it is describing a whole different feature.

post #4170 of 10586 Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 PM

Liked: 10
I recently purchased this receiver and it setup as 5.1 for main and 2.0 for zones 2 and 3. I am running an hdmi from my Xbox and directv receiver in the corresponding inputs on the back of the 4520. Then I have hdmi going to my projector in a room with 5.1 sound. Now when I select game input it shows me Dolby digital. However when I select the cable/sat input, it only shows "stereo" ... How do I change it to 5.1 sound?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page