The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can somebody tell me what to do to fix a problem that my wife created last night when she was trying to turn off the unit by the remote.

To be fair, I probably could have done the same thing. lol

Somehow she pushed something on the remote that has turned the red power button into turning on or off the current zone and it won't work as a power button anymore.

how can I fix this?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
When I have a question like that, I go here - http://batpigworld.com/wp/

OK, after debating between upgrading from my 4310 to either an X4000 or a 4520, I decided that the 4520 was going to work better, since my new Martin Logan speakers are 4 ohm, and I'd like to do a 9.1 setup. I may or may not eventually go to 11.1, but for now, the 4520 simplifies doing 9.1. That and the X4000 was slightly less power than my 4310.

I like more power, not less. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4503 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 11
I have a quick question, and fully understand that the answer may be RTFM, but I have looked in the manual and the way that it describes this function does not seem to work for me. In the manual it states that if you hold down one of the colored buttons, movie, game, etc, then you should get a drop down list on the OSD to choose audio formats. I cannot get this menu to show up. I am trying to do some comparisons between Neo:X, PL2Z and DSX and it has been a pain to switch between them.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Also Craig, after having my 4520 for a couple of weeks in a 9.2 setup I LOVE it. The ambiance and immersive sound of the Neo:X mixing has just been wonderful. I watched the new Red Dawn the other night (Terrible movie but great sound) and when things like the helicopters flew overhead or explosions tossed things into the air I found myself looking up and just really enjoying the Height speakers. I may add some wides at some point, but for now, having just gone from 5.1 on a 10+ year old receiver to 9.2 on this bad boy I am just thrilled.
post #4504 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Surround mode selection should work exactly as described in the manual or here on my website: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=150

Do other graphic overlays (volume, GUI, etc) show up correctly?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4505 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutHunter View Post

Can somebody tell me what to do to fix a problem that my wife created last night when she was trying to turn off the unit by the remote.

To be fair, I probably could have done the same thing. lol

Somehow she pushed something on the remote that has turned the red power button into turning on or off the current zone and it won't work as a power button anymore.

how can I fix this?

thanks

Sounds like you are in one of the other zones for control. Press the "Zone Select" button on the top left until the display indicates that you are back to Main Zone (M) control.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4506 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM

Yes. Other menus show up fine, it is just that one that I have not been able to get up. I will play around with it again, as that is what I have been trying. I may simply have not held it long enough. Or it could even be that I am sending the IR through a Xantec IR relay system and instead of coming through as a held press it is coming through as a list of discrete presses.

I'll let you know what I see. Thanks Batpig!
post #4507 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
and when things like the helicopters flew overhead or explosions tossed things into the air I found myself looking up and just really enjoying the Height speakers. I may add some wides at some point

Why do I suddenly have this funny feeling I'll be buying a 2 channel amp and 2 more speakers eventually..........................eek.gifcool.gif

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #4508 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

For people with Audyssey XT32, are you generally happy with the auto sub EQ'ing, or do you have another method to calibrate your subs?

If you have multiple subwoofers, you can gain some performance improvements by gain-matching your subs before running Audyssey:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1282064/two-subs-gain-matching-vs-level-matching/0_100

And performing the distance tweak after running Audyssey. See Audyssey Setup Guide link in my signature, which has a link for a document covering the sub distance tweak procedure.

Mark
post #4509 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Why do I suddenly have this funny feeling I'll be buying a 2 channel amp and 2 more speakers eventually..........................eek.gifcool.gif

Yeah, my sentiments exactly....but I have been notified by the CFO that spending on the home theater is on hold for while after this purchase...I know, shocking right?
post #4510 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks BP, that's exactly what happened I think...except the red power button both the remote and the front of the unit just turn on or off the main zone but don't turn on or off the power to the unit like it used to. The green light stays on now vs. turning off to red. I tried to reset the remote to factory defaults but that didn't work, so I'm going to look at your materials next to see about resetting the whole unit back to factory defaults. Unless you have a better idea.
post #4511 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Each zone is powered on/off individually. So you are probably powering off main zone but other zones are still on.

Have you tried the smartphone app or web browser interface? Should be easy to power off the other zones that were turned off accidentally. I don't think you need to reset the unit, you just need to turn off the other zones!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4512 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM

BP,

You're a genius...I downloaded the app and looked at the zones via the app interface and there it was....zones 2, 3 were off but zone 4 was on and I couldn't see that via the remote contol and somehow missed it on the tv screen.

Turned if off on the app....thus leaving Main zone on.

Pushed on the red button and unit turned off.

So it was a zone issue all along.

Thanks again.
post #4513 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

I have a quick question, and fully understand that the answer may be RTFM, but I have looked in the manual and the way that it describes this function does not seem to work for me. In the manual it states that if you hold down one of the colored buttons, movie, game, etc, then you should get a drop down list on the OSD to choose audio formats. I cannot get this menu to show up. I am trying to do some comparisons between Neo:X, PL2Z and DSX and it has been a pain to switch between them.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Also Craig, after having my 4520 for a couple of weeks in a 9.2 setup I LOVE it. The ambiance and immersive sound of the Neo:X mixing has just been wonderful. I watched the new Red Dawn the other night (Terrible movie but great sound) and when things like the helicopters flew overhead or explosions tossed things into the air I found myself looking up and just really enjoying the Height speakers. I may add some wides at some point, but for now, having just gone from 5.1 on a 10+ year old receiver to 9.2 on this bad boy I am just thrilled.

I was surprised at how much I dislike Audyssey DSX in favor of DTS-NEO:X. With NEO:X there is a noticeable improvement in lower frequencies over DSX. Most of my reference material sounded very "matrixy" and filtered in DSX. I just got Dredd and want to demo the NEO:X soundtrack later this week.

I really like Dolby PLIIz for some of my SACD playback.
post #4514 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Each zone is powered on/off individually. So you are probably powering off main zone but other zones are still on.

Have you tried the smartphone app or web browser interface? Should be easy to power off the other zones that were turned off accidentally. I don't think you need to reset the unit, you just need to turn off the other zones!
Exactly. I went through this one night, could not shut it off. I thought it was broke. Some how the other zones were turned on.
post #4515 of 8741 Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The "somehow" is probably because you are using a universal remote; it has been reported many times that the remote code that used to be the discrete main zone POWER ON command now is an ALL ZONE POWER ON command (starting with the xx13 models).

Has someone on this thread posted a pronto hex code for the (new) discrete POWER ON command that works for the 4520 (and xx13, E/X series) without powering on the other zones?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4516 of 8741 Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 AM

Who has problems with the network hub or am I just unlucky?

I received my 4520 and found that the UTP-ports give problems. Especially the top one never connected (the LED-lights never come up and a network connection is not made via that port).
I returned the receiver and got a brand new 4520: same problem. The other ports do work.
Just to make sure I tested with a switch in between and used different cables and used the port to connect to the router as well as to pass on network to other devices: port 1 is dead.
I did some resets (microprocessor and full/deep): no avail.
post #4517 of 8741 Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
I decided that the 4520 was going to work better, since my new Martin Logan speakers are 4 ohm
Which ones did you get?! cool.gif Going to love the new AVR. The 4310 is sweet by all means, but XT32 is REALLY nice!!! cool.gif
post #4518 of 8741 Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM

In one of the first posts there is this sentence:
3. Any issues noted with some early released units (late 2012, ie. serial number begins with a "2") seem to have been resolved as 2013 units (ie. serial number begins with a "3") are apparently experiencing no problems.

I received a new unit today, which serial begins with 209 - as I understood this unit is from Sept. 2012. So far no problem for me, but what are the issues the 2012 models have and the 2013 not? Only in being shipped with older firmware or are there also hardware changes. I have searched the thread, but I cannot find exactly out what this means. Is my unit bad?
post #4519 of 8741 Old 05-23-2013, 12:26 AM

@somm: Don't know. What I do know is that the first unit I received had a serial no starting with a 2, the second starting with a 3.
As indicated: same problem with the UTP-ports.
I did not notice any differences.
post #4520 of 8741 Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 AM

@Philipant: For me the top port (number 1) is working, but sometimes I lose network connection -> This means I hear internet radio and after a while it drops and then it reconnects with the "default" radio station.

Does someone else know of problems with the early units or is the posting wrong ? I don't know if I should keep the unit or replace it ?
post #4521 of 8741 Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I decided that the 4520 was going to work better, since my new Martin Logan speakers are 4 ohm
Which ones did you get?! Going to love the new AVR. The 4310 is sweet by all means, but XT32 is REALLY nice!!!

I now have a pair of Motion 40's, a Motion 8 center, and side and rear Motion FX surrounds. When I get the 4520 installed, I'm going to install a pair of display Motion LX16 bookshelf speakers I scored on close out for my wide channel speakers ( on Sanus stands, so they are the same height as my Motion 40's are tweeter wise ). More or less the same as the current Motion 15 bookshelf speakers.

Then, phase 2 will entail getting a 2 or 3 channel amp, and a pair of Motion 4 speakers for the height channels.

After that, I'll put on Black Hawk Down ( or other good movie ), take a sip of wine, close my eyes, and experience a " sound-gasm " ! smile.gif

I'll let you know how things progress, and do a mini review of the ML speakers and the 4520 after it's up and running.

post #4522 of 8741 Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does the 4520 no longer have Quick Select buttons on the remote like the 1912 had?

I really liked the feature of being able to set specific volume levels / Audyssey settings per input used.

I see them on the actual receiver but not on the remote.
post #4523 of 8741 Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post

Does the 4520 no longer have Quick Select buttons on the remote like the 1912 had?

I really liked the feature of being able to set specific volume levels / Audyssey settings per input used.

I see them on the actual receiver but not on the remote.

Alas, they have been removed from the remote. If you use a programmable remote, like the Harmony, you can easily program the QS buttons. I could not live without Quick Select.
post #4524 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 AM

Liked: 22
I'm thinking about adding a pair of speakers for dedicated stereo and loosing my front wides. It looks like I should hook them up to my front wide outs and I'll change the speaker set up to 7.1 + Front B but I can't tell from the manual if I'll still be able to use my subwoofers when listening in stereo? In other words I'd want my subs working in both 7 channel HT and 2 channel stereo. Can I do that? I believe I'd read somewhere that you loose your subs in this type of stereo set up.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #4525 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
^A bigger problem with that is Audyssey is not designed to accomodate dedicated stereo speakers-it only calibrates 1 set of front R/L.

I've found the best strategy is to plan a timbre-matched integrated surround/stereo speaker system with nice FR/L towers for Stereo.
For ex., my latest HT system started with an all Dali Helicon 7.2 Wides. I wanted better Stereo so moved I up the Dali line to Euphonia MS4 for FR/L, as they're timbre-matched. At a later point I had an opportunity to upgrade to top of the line across the front, MS5 FR/L and upgrading the Helicon CC to Euphonia. I've kept the Helicon surrounds and wides.

That way, my Audyssey calibration applies equally to stereo and MC, film and music.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #4526 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SoM is correct that the "alternate" B speaker setup won't get Audyssey calibration, so in a perfect world you'd really just want to have your two best speakers as your primary L/R mains for both movies and music...

But to answer the question, yes you can absolutely use your subwoofer with the "B" speakers.

First, you actually don't have to give up the "wide" speakers to accomodate a separate 2ch setup. There are several different Amp Assign modes that will accommodate this configuration, you should really study the amp assign explanation on pg 100 of the manual, as well as the flow chart on pg 140 and the speaker output charts starting on pg 177:

1. The option you noted, "7.1ch + Front B" amp assign, is the standard mode which dedicates 7 amps to main zone and 2 amps to the Front B speakers. You then dictate which pair of speaker posts will output the Front B audio by selecting the two pairs of speakers which you still want to use in main zone using the "Main Speakers" menu which follows the Amp Assign setting (clip from pg 100 in the manual):

So for example if you select "F.Height/F.Wide" from this menu, then by extension the S.Back amps will output the Front B signal. Note that with this setting, even though you can connect up to 9 channels in Main Zone, only 7 can be active at a time because only 7 amps are assigned to Main Zone. When you select this Amp Assign mode, you will also have to go to the "Front Speaker" setup menu (pg 145) and designate which of the A or B (or A+B) front speakers is used for multich vs. 2ch playback.

- Alternately, you can choose the "7.1ch / 2ch Front(Bi-Amp)" setting, which dedicates four speaker terminals to the Front B speakers. In this setting, your Main Zone is locked in to the standard 7.1 configuration (5.1+S.Back) and you would bi-amp the Front B speakers using the Front Height and Front Wide speaker posts. When in normal (multich) operation, the system operates as a standard 7.1 setup. When you switch to Front B speakers for 2ch playback, the two amps dedicated to S.Back switch to the Front B speakers so now there are four total amp channels allowing for 2ch bi-amp.

- Finally, you can choose the "9.1ch/2ch Front" setting. With this setting, you again use that "Main Speakers" menu above to determine which four extra channels are active in Main Zone, and by extension which two speaker posts will be powering the Front B speakers. This mode is basically the same as "7.1ch + Front B" but allows you to run 9 channels simultaneously in main zone. With both this and the 2ch bi-amp mode above, you don't need to use the "Front Speaker" setup menu because 2ch playback is pre-configured to lock in to the "B" speakers. So when you enter a 2ch playback mode, the switch happens automatically and two of the amps dedicated to Main Zone switch automatically to the 2ch speakers.

In all of the above situations, you can use the dedicated "2ch Playback" menu (pg 145, under Speakers>Manual Setup in the GUI) to designate your settings for 2ch playback. In this menu, you switch the setting to "Manual" which disconnects the 2ch settings from the main settings. You can then set up independent distances and levels for your "B" speakers, but more importantly you CAN set up bass management as well, so the subs will indeed be in play if you so choose. You can either set the speakers to SMALL with a crossover, or leave them LARGE with the sub set to LFE+MAIN if you want double bass for stereo playback. Note that if you go with LARGE/LFE+MAIN in this menu, the "crossover" frequency becomes the LPF for the double bass signal going to the sub.

Finally, although it is somewhat unorthodox, you can even use Audyssey correction for the subwoofer and also use Dynamic EQ for 2ch playback by setting the EQ mode to "Audyssey Bypass L/R". In this EQ mode the filter correction is applied to all speakers EXCEPT the Front L/R mains. So you could for example set the speakers to SMALL/80Hz, and the <80Hz information would be crossed over to the subwoofer and have Audyssey XT32 EQ filters applied, whereas no EQ would be applied to the "B" speakers above 80Hz (which you wouldn't want, since the FR/FL filters were calculated for your "A" speakers).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4527 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM

So this may be a dumb question, but is there anything special you have to do to get the 4520 to support PCM? I pulled down the reference BluRays that some of the guys on the forum put together so I could check out some of the awesomeness, but when I try and listen to anything that is in PCM format I get no sound and the video because terrible too.

Thoughts?
post #4528 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No. Nothing special is needed to support any audio format. If the receiver gets it, it will play it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4529 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM

That is what I thought. I wonder if it is just a messed up track or if XBMC is trying to do something with it.

Thanks Batpig!
post #4530 of 8741 Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
^batpig, nice concise treatise on B speaker options and Stereo mode bass mgmnt. smile.gif

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page