post #5401 of 8859 Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
Is there a reason it's unavailable from their web site....Sold Out Maybe? Or is there a new model coming out?

Dunno.  Just give em a call to find out.  Their CS is good and BTW they have pretty good sales a couple times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I just looked, and it is visible to me.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series

It does not have the Buy button and instead says unavailable.

PS-to correct something I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't realize the UPA200 is still available new. 

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 8859 Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I just looked, and it is visible to me.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series

When you click on it, it says unavailable. The Gen2 should be out soon.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #5403 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM

Liked: 13
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any mac users that could help me with an airplay issue? Whenever i turn to airplay the volume on the 4520 goes nuts and increaes rapidly to over 65. Any thoughts how to limits this so it always starts lower?
post #5404 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 942
AirPlay volume is initially set by the SOURCE. Just turn down the volume in iTunes before starting.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5405 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Liked: 10
I have a Oppo 105 connected from the dedicated audio out to the Denon 4520 CD in and want the Denon not to do anything with the signal but just pass it out to the front L/R pre-outs where a 2-channel amp is connected. Is pure direct mode the right approach ?

I want to throw in a pre-amp w/ HT bypass at some point for a dedicated 2-channel setup and connect the Oppo directly to the pre-amp instead of going to Denon but that will not be anytime soon. In the meantime, any other ways/connections to achieve anything better than pure direct ?
post #5406 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by debjit_g View Post

I have a Oppo 105 connected from the dedicated audio out to the Denon 4520 CD in and want the Denon not to do anything with the signal but just pass it out to the front L/R pre-outs where a 2-channel amp is connected. Is pure direct mode the right approach ?
Yes. Direct Mode bypasses all digital processing and Pure Direct Mode additionally turns off all video circuitry, giving you the best analog only mode.
Quote:

I want to throw in a pre-amp w/ HT bypass at some point for a dedicated 2-channel setup and connect the Oppo directly to the pre-amp instead of going to Denon but that will not be anytime soon. In the meantime, any other ways/connections to achieve anything better than pure direct ?
Since you are already going straight from the BDP-105's analog high quality L+R outputs in to the external 7.1 analog inputs, nope. smile.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #5407 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 646
The OP stated he is connecting to the CD In. As you suggest, I think the correct connection would be to the EXT In jacks.
post #5408 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

The OP stated he is connecting to the CD In. As you suggest, I think the correct connection would be to the EXT In jacks.
Diffidently wink.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #5409 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Allow me to suggest that if you are using Audyssey to correct the room distortions for MC and/or film, you might consider doing some A/B tests comparing the CD input in stereo mode with Audyssey vs no Audyssey if you have not already done so. 

If you don't feel Audyssey is a plus overall, switch to the Ext In inputs as suggested above.

If you feel Audyssey is a plus overall, you can probably skip the whole HT bypass preamp thing.  In my room DSP RC trumps DACs and pure analog pathways.  See this thread of my HT preamp journey if interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300698/preamps-with-ht-bypass-for-under-2k

post #5410 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Diffidently wink.gif

Thanks. I had plugged the Oppo into CD-in input. So "EXTERNAL IN" connection (something called multi-channel in) is the preferred way ? Make sense, I can actually make use of the Sub-out of the Oppo to the EXT IN Sub-in if I want to.
post #5411 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Allow me to suggest that if you are using Audyssey to correct the room distortions for MC and/or film, you might consider doing some A/B tests comparing the CD input in stereo mode with Audyssey vs no Audyssey if you have not already done so. 

If you don't feel Audyssey is a plus overall, switch to the Ext In inputs as suggested above.

If you feel Audyssey is a plus overall, you can probably skip the whole HT bypass preamp thing.  In my room DSP RC trumps DACs and pure analog pathways.  See this thread of my HT preamp journey if interested:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300698/preamps-with-ht-bypass-for-under-2k

I have done A/B comparison with Audyssey vs Pure Direct. I loose quiet a bit of soundstage and imaging with Audyssey than Pure Direct in my room though the bass response is little better. It may be speaker placement/acoustics or ton of other variables. I keep fiddling around with the speaker placement/toe-in and all but every time the difference between Audyssey on/off is the same. Other than 2-channel listening, my Audyssey is always on.
post #5412 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I am having a minor issue with a difference in output level between a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and a 2.0 Stereo signal on my DirecTV DVR's.

A 2.0 signal defaults to PLIIx Music mode on my system. The 5.1 signal defaults to 11.1 DSX. Both signals use Audyssey, of course, with DEQ on, Dynamic Volume off, and Reference Level Offset set to 10dB. My master volume is set to -15 by Quick Select.

I can be listening to a recorded program (5.1 DD), and my SPL will measure approximately 70-75dB (fluctuating because of the content, of course). If I exit the recorded program and the DVR is set to a music channel (2.0), the SPL will immediately jump to 80-85dB. This seems to indicate a 10dB level difference in the two formats.

Is anyone else observing this? I ask, because I am constantly having to adjust the volume control when I go back and forth between Dolby Digital and Stereo content. I don't know of any way to independently adjust the source level for the two formats, since both are digital. Is the level difference caused by DirectTV, or is this a Denon issue?
post #5413 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I am having a minor issue with a difference in output level between a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and a 2.0 Stereo signal on my DirecTV DVR's.

A 2.0 signal defaults to PLIIx Music mode on my system. The 5.1 signal defaults to 11.1 DSX. Both signals use Audyssey, of course, with DEQ on, Dynamic Volume off, and Reference Level Offset set to 10dB. My master volume is set to -15 by Quick Select.

I can be listening to a recorded program (5.1 DD), and my SPL will measure approximately 70-75dB (fluctuating because of the content, of course). If I exit the recorded program and the DVR is set to a music channel (2.0), the SPL will immediately jump to 80-85dB. This seems to indicate a 10dB level difference in the two formats.

Is anyone else observing this? I ask, because I am constantly having to adjust the volume control when I go back and forth between Dolby Digital and Stereo content. I don't know of any way to independently adjust the source level for the two formats, since both are digital. Is the level difference caused by DirectTV, or is this a Denon issue?

Ya, i'd like to know how to adjust a more constant volume too. Switching from Fios Cable to lets my ps3 (blu ray). Its like the ps3 is 10-20 db's louder. Which seems to be where i'd want it on the scale. The Fios seems to be too low. I know i'm new to all this high end gear. Never had anything like this Denon 4520. Not to mention I've got about 2600.00 in some really nice Klipsch speakers. I only need to replace or should I say upgrade 4 surrounds and 1 old 12" sony sub, which does work well, just not like the Klipsch sub. (oh, I am getting the xpa-200 amp, so i'll have a great balanced 11.2 going. So amperage and speakers should not be my problem.

I have noticed that even changing channels it will say -7 or -2, or something like that. Some one once made a comment about it, I should have asked more about it. Makes no sense to me.....
post #5414 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

When you are talking about Fios and the Blu-ray, you are talking about two different inputs. You can adjust the input level on an input-specific basis by going into Inputs, selecting Source Level, and adjusting anywhere from -12 to +12. This should allow you to have both sources play at the same level.

The problem I reported is on one source, with volumes varying by signal type, either 5.1 or 2.0. This is an entirely different issue.
post #5415 of 8859 Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

When you are talking about Fios and the Blu-ray, you are talking about two different inputs. You can adjust the input level on an input-specific basis by going into Inputs, selecting Source Level, and adjusting anywhere from -12 to +12. This should allow you to have both sources play at the same level.

The problem I reported is on one source, with volumes varying by signal type, either 5.1 or 2.0. This is an entirely different issue.

Hey thanks,

I thought there'd be some type of way to adjust source level to help things match. I just haven't really had the time to look into it. I'll see what I can do with that in the morning.

But, like I said, I've noticed that sometimes when I change channels on the 4520 readout i'll see off-set minus 4 db's then change the channel again and it said minus 7 db's. This was something I posted a week ago. Post 5306:

Then someone posted -4 for Dolby 2.0, -7 for 5.1. So I think that has to do with what you're talking about. I also know that local broadcast, especially commercials, most being Dolby 2.0 at best have a much higher volume level. So I really see a drastic amount of volume difference just from when a network broadcast is playing and then the local commercial. I don't mind too too much. But my wife is always saying (why is that so loud) turn It down.
post #5416 of 8859 Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 942
@ Jerry -- Have you tried stripping out some variables to test? For example, turn off all the extra channel processing, with 5.1 signals playing as "straight up" 5.1 and the 2ch signal playing in Stereo surround mode. Do the differences persist? If so, it seems pretty likely to me that it's the signal itself, right?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5417 of 8859 Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

It is certainly worth a try, BP. I suspect it is the signal. Either way, there doesn't seem to be a solution.
post #5418 of 8859 Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 29
So I am enjoying my upgrade to the 4520. A few observations from upgrading from my trusty 3310 + XPA5 which now is in the formal living room to this new 4520 + XPA5 combo...

I am running a 9.1 system with heights. The soundstage is fuller than what I had with 7.1 setup. I'm still trying to figure out if I prefer Neo X or Audyssey DSX for movies, concerts, and music. I listen to a lot of 5.1 sacd's and dvda's. Multi-In + Neo X sounds fullest, but gives me listener's fatigue. I almost have too many choices in listening modes with the 4520. With the 3310, it was set it and forget it with multi-in + Dolby PLIIx in cinema mode.

My 3310 was no slouch.

I'm still disappointed that you have the get Denon's flapship AVR in order to get EXT-In. I play a lot of DSD via analog with my Oppo93.

When I initially ran the Audyssey through the setup assistant, the 4520 showed that I was running all 9 channels through the receiver. I had the front 3 channels plus the side surrounds on the XPA5. The 4520 was running the front heights and rear surrounds only.

I had to change the Amp Assign for the main 5 channels as preamp and re-run Audyssey in order for the 4520 to see the amp assignments correctly, if that makes sense.

I miss the input channel display and the cool HD blue light of the 3310, but I'll get over it as everyone else has.

The verdict is not in as far as if I like Dynamic EQ on or off....
post #5419 of 8859 Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM

I recently upgraded to the AVR-4520 and am loving it so far. I am using NHT VT-2's as my FL/R speakers which are currently connected to my Bryston 4B-ST.

The NHT VT-2's have a 10" passive sub-woofer. The HT setup is 5.0 ... no active sub-woofer.

So, I'm wondering if I should use the Bryston 4B-ST to run the woofer of the VT-2's and have the Denon AVR-4520 run the mid-and high-range of the speaker.

If that's the case, I'm not sure how I should run the woofers to the 4520 to optimize this setup.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Herb...
post #5420 of 8859 Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^I might try this:

I'd remove the jumpers and run the sub ch outputs of the 4520 to the bryston and from there to the woofer terminals ("Low freq input" per p4 fig 4 of speaker OM).

Then power the "high/mid freq input"  with the 4520 FR/L amps,  and rerun Audyssey, of course telling it you now have 2 subs.  Experiment with the AVR crossover, I'm guessing it will sound best about 120 Hz.The speaker's internal crossover is 125Hz 12dB/octave hi and lo-pass per OM.

post #5421 of 8859 Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 AM

I know this has been covered before, but could not find the exact post.

I am putting my 4520 in a salamander cabinet and expect it may be difficult to pull out the power cord for soft reset. I get not infrequent lock ups when turn the unit on and go to Network music launch page and only a reset seems to fix it.

Would prefer not to have to do a hard reset and reenter information. Is there some sort of key combination that recreates a power reset?

I have tried holding the power button in for 5-10 seconds, thinking that might cause a reboot, but nothing happens.

Currently, it is in an open BDI stand, and it is easy to just pull out and put back the power cord.
Thanks.
post #5422 of 8859 Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachy View Post

I know this has been covered before, but could not find the exact post.

I am putting my 4520 in a salamander cabinet and expect it may be difficult to pull out the power cord for soft reset. I get not infrequent lock ups when turn the unit on and go to Network music launch page and only a reset seems to fix it.

Would prefer not to have to do a hard reset and reenter information. Is there some sort of key combination that recreates a power reset?

I have tried holding the power button in for 5-10 seconds, thinking that might cause a reboot, but nothing happens.

Currently, it is in an open BDI stand, and it is easy to just pull out and put back the power cord.
Thanks.

Funny you post this as I have the exact same problem on the latest firmware - randomly when I turn it on the screen is grainy and has lines and the network doesn't work. Right now the unit has light duty of just playing pandora while I build out the theater - seems unplugging the unit is the only fix.

I guess it needs a ctrl-alt-del button smile.gif

JJ
post #5423 of 8859 Old 08-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
^^Could you plug the 4520 into a power strip that is in a more convenient location? Switch it off/on instead of unplugging.
post #5424 of 8859 Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM

I thought of the power strip idea, the only problem is I have 8 things plugged in and would rather not have to reset all 8 things, when only the receiver has an issue. I guess I could keep the surger strip close enough that I can unplug just 1 thing from it, but figured a soft reset button solution or remote button solution would be a much easier thing.

On a prior firmware, it would lock up if I shut the unit down on one of the network music things and then turned it off, so I have gotten into the habit of changing to TV/Cable inputs before shutdown if I can remember.

Since the lastest firmware, when I click my remote to listen to network music, the network screen comes up with Pandora highlighted at times (not always), and the screen totally frozen.

The other thing I have noticed, was that I have my 4520 set to automatically turn off the video screen, after a few seconds of new songs on the network music to avoid burn in issue, since the darned screen stays the same (wish it was like my Tivo where a screen saver comes on).

In any event, since the firmware, very few buttons seem to bring up the video screen again (only my info button). In the past, any direction button or select button seemed to bring up the video, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the quick replies.
post #5425 of 8859 Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Or you could plug a power strip with only the 4520 plugged in into the surge protector. It's extra BS but for as awesome as all this new gear is there always seems to be little annoyances.
post #5426 of 8859 Old 08-17-2013, 06:44 AM

Hello,

Is there something I am missing as to why I cannot get sounds from the headphone jack. When I plug in the headphones the receiver knows it had headphones but no luck with sound. If I turn it up really high I can hear the sound slightly. Unit was from 2012

thanks for the help
post #5427 of 8859 Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
What headphones? Could be an issue with either the jack itself or the headphones. Can you test the headphones with another device to rule them out or test with another set of headphones?
kelseyhorne likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5428 of 8859 Old 08-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Fixed the issue, it was a mono adapter! works great now, thanks for the help!
post #5429 of 8859 Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbg View Post

I recently upgraded to the AVR-4520 and am loving it so far. I am using NHT VT-2's as my FL/R speakers which are currently connected to my Bryston 4B-ST.

The NHT VT-2's have a 10" passive sub-woofer. The HT setup is 5.0 ... no active sub-woofer.

So, I'm wondering if I should use the Bryston 4B-ST to run the woofer of the VT-2's and have the Denon AVR-4520 run the mid-and high-range of the speaker.

If that's the case, I'm not sure how I should run the woofers to the 4520 to optimize this setup.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Herb...

I also have those speakers and have wondered if the denon is powerful enough to power them. I can't find anyplace showing its output into 5 channels. Anyway, after you have it bi-amped, let us know how it sounds. That is pretty much what I want to do in my setup as I have a parasound to power the subs, but my current yamaha is WAY under powered at 5 channels.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #5430 of 8859 Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbg View Post

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Herb...

you'd go preouts from the respective channels to the woofers. But AFAIK, the Bryston's input sensitivity is fixed (no volume control) and there is, pretty much, basically zero chance that its gain will just happen to properly match up to the gain in the internal path for the receiver's internal amplification, which means the woofers will either be too loud or too quiet because of the mismatch, most likely.

If you are worried about it, just use the Bryston to power the speakers and leave the receiver's amps out of the picture. Then the Bryston can be balanced using the usual channel level settings during the autosetup process. that extra hundred watts or so from the receiver is worth about a decibel and a half added to the Bryston's output. Kinda pointless
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page