AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

It would look cool.
I've been on the fence with the same decision but after reading a lot of info most folks, even Emotiva when pressed, say that an amp will not improve sound quality unless you're current set up is underpowered and clipping.
With the power of the 4520 and 2 powered subs providing power for the lf I doubt that an amp would sound any different other than letting you play a little bit louder.

I have an opinion!! Or as I like to say "Placebo man to the rescue"...An XPA-5 coupled to and powering the entire fronts of an 11.2 would be nice, After all, you can't go to 11.2 without another 2 at minimum. Or you could use the XPA-5 to power your FL, FR, Center, and Surrounds. Theory being those are the channels that would normally see the most wide spectrum activity and therefore need the added go juice of the XPA-5. I will also add that I owned 3 XPA-1s for my fronts and used two XPA-5s for the other channels; leaving me an extra 2 channels. I have recently gone on an amp weight loss diet and now have an XPA-100 for the center and the lowly 2 remaining XPA-5s. So, here comes the placebo. When watching incredibly dynamic and over the top engineered blow-em-up movies the current combination seems lacking as opposed to my previous 400 lbs of amplification. I have no scientific data to confirm anything but my system isn't quite as explosive as before. If I strip out and revert to my trusty 4311 (sorry no 4520 or 8801 yet), I drop another notch. This time noticeable in volume alone. I thoroughly am In the camp that old school class AB amps are better than the current AVR lot of internal amplification. Hugely better???? No, just marginally. But "placebo man" goes with HUGELY... It stirs more flaming and controversy.

So here are my pros to buy an XPA-5

1). You can't go to 11.2 without 2 more.
2). The XPA-5 is pretty cheap and you might as well have more channels than you need. Think buttkickers or whatever.
3). I perceive a more dynamic and powerful sound with my external amps.
4). Heck, the XPA-5 is pretty affordable and often on sale.
5). Ohhhhh more blue lights..... "Pretty"!!!

Negatives...

1). Seriously, for most room and most decently efficient speakers any old flea-bay stereo amp will get you what you need to go 11.2. As a case in point, Klipsch speakers are often very, very efficient requiring little real grunt to drive them to ear and nose bleed levels.
2). With great additional power comes great and ever more complex cabling issues. As the misses says regarding why she collects antique Federal style furniture as opposed to glass ware. Glass stuff "breaketh". Extra complexity is er........ complex.
3). Do you really need 11.1 or .2? OK, who am I kidding? Yes you want it. It's cool and I have enjoyed it for years now.
4). If married...... The need to have 11 speakers as opposed to suffering with only 9 can be a stretch. I say, buck it up though, pay your dues and enjoy for decades. My spouse is now numb to boxes, speakers, cables and assorted doohickeys. Frankly the rule we have is that "on average" everything can't be replaced for 3 years. Given my love of B&W Nautilus speakers, my oldest speakers serving Wide duty help me stay within the blissful marital guidelines.
5). As kind of hinted to before. If you have efficient speakers and a less than 15 by 15 by 9 foot listening area (just an example) and you do not listen much at reference. You probably don't need a big external amp. I happen to listen to very dynamic mutli channel movies at reference a lot and I like lots of volume and lots of reserve. Also, my fronts are not particularly efficient and my center is hard to get loud and hard to drive (IMHO).

Many people here will say the Denon internals are very good and all you need. IMHO, for most needs yes, but not for mine. I want ridiculous reserves and lots of power. Subjective, I am not!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 8715 Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Good to have you posting here again SHTG smile.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5583 of 8715 Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

So John, your take is we'll be waiting awhile for the next nice step-up in features and SQ?  No new AVP-like pre/pro or 5xxx AVR in the near future?
Good question, only Denon can answer that one! wink.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #5584 of 8715 Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Good to have you posting here again SHTG smile.gif

Never really left just been busy..... I see you have two crumb snatchers. Mine are 8 and 10 now and my posting days have become more limited. My life is all about epic nerf wars and of course the latest must have; ear piercing. Told her I had a hole punch somewhere and could oblige. She did not find the humor in my comment. I may be posting just to psyche myself up for a new 8801. Kind of like Rocky in training. Head to AVS for support and justification. Gearing up for the inevitable and unnecessary.

I am not ready to go 4K yet, have less time to enjoy my hobby and in the case of tonight, my 10 year old is downstairs daring to use MY ROOM to watch the cinematic masterpiece that is Gulliver's Travels with Jack Black with a sleep over friend. it's coming my friend! Your time is near.

By some miracle of god, no child has punched in a Nautilus tweeter yet. Must be all that Benadryl dispensed at the Media room entrance over the last few years. smile.gif

Finally, whatever brilliant child doctor who says chocolate right before bed time has absolutely no affect on kids, is childless and does not socialize well. We Do Not Give Our Kids Chocolate and Let Them Loose In The Media Room, EVER!!!!
post #5585 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries316 View Post

Hello I Have a Denon 4520ci set up with 9.2 is there a benefit to getting a Emotiva XPA-5 5-Channel Power Amplifier to take some of the load of the AVR? I know if i add an amp i can go to 11.2 but is there any other advantage?

Thanks

Are you achieving the SPLs you require, cleanly and without clipping?  If so, then an external amp won’t bring any benefits at all. OTOH, if you are finding that when you turn up the volume your sound is distorted or harsh then you may well need more amplifier power. 

The easiest way to take some strain off an AVR is to use a powered subwoofer and cross over to it at about 80Hz. If you are already doing that, and you are finding no problems when listening at the SPLs you want, I'd spent the cash in some other way. For example, a few hundred dollars spent on room treatments will make considerably more difference than a new amp. Or a better quality sub. Or an additional identical sub. 

post #5586 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Quote:

Hello I Have a Denon 4520ci set up with 9.2 is there a benefit to getting a Emotiva XPA-5 5-Channel Power Amplifier to take some of the load of the AVR? I know if i add an amp i can go to 11.2 but is there any other advantage?

Thanks

Some Klipsch owners of RF-7 say extra power really causes them to open up.

Why not ask this same question of RF-7 owners/former owners on the Klipsch thread?

Owners of every speaker brand say this. It's stock groupthink. There's no need to ask in the owners thread because you already know what the answer will be.

+1. Unneeded extra power that is 'left on the table' achieves precisely nothing.

post #5587 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

Quote:

It would look cool.
I've been on the fence with the same decision but after reading a lot of info most folks, even Emotiva when pressed, say that an amp will not improve sound quality unless you're current set up is underpowered and clipping.
With the power of the 4520 and 2 powered subs providing power for the lf I doubt that an amp would sound any different other than letting you play a little bit louder.

I have an opinion!! Or as I like to say "Placebo man to the rescue"...An XPA-5 coupled to and powering the entire fronts of an 11.2 would be nice, After all, you can't go to 11.2 without another 2 at minimum. Or you could use the XPA-5 to power your FL, FR, Center, and Surrounds. Theory being those are the channels that would normally see the most wide spectrum activity and therefore need the added go juice of the XPA-5. I will also add that I owned 3 XPA-1s for my fronts and used two XPA-5s for the other channels; leaving me an extra 2 channels. I have recently gone on an amp weight loss diet and now have an XPA-100 for the center and the lowly 2 remaining XPA-5s. So, here comes the placebo. When watching incredibly dynamic and over the top engineered blow-em-up movies the current combination seems lacking as opposed to my previous 400 lbs of amplification. I have no scientific data to confirm anything but my system isn't quite as explosive as before. If I strip out and revert to my trusty 4311 (sorry no 4520 or 8801 yet), I drop another notch. This time noticeable in volume alone. I thoroughly am In the camp that old school class AB amps are better than the current AVR lot of internal amplification. Hugely better???? No, just marginally. But "placebo man" goes with HUGELY... It stirs more flaming and controversy.

So here are my pros to buy an XPA-5

1). You can't go to 11.2 without 2 more.
2). The XPA-5 is pretty cheap and you might as well have more channels than you need. Think buttkickers or whatever.
3). I perceive a more dynamic and powerful sound with my external amps.
4). Heck, the XPA-5 is pretty affordable and often on sale.
5). Ohhhhh more blue lights..... "Pretty"!!!

Negatives...

1). Seriously, for most room and most decently efficient speakers any old flea-bay stereo amp will get you what you need to go 11.2. As a case in point, Klipsch speakers are often very, very efficient requiring little real grunt to drive them to ear and nose bleed levels.
2). With great additional power comes great and ever more complex cabling issues. As the misses says regarding why she collects antique Federal style furniture as opposed to glass ware. Glass stuff "breaketh". Extra complexity is er........ complex.
3). Do you really need 11.1 or .2? OK, who am I kidding? Yes you want it. It's cool and I have enjoyed it for years now.
4). If married...... The need to have 11 speakers as opposed to suffering with only 9 can be a stretch. I say, buck it up though, pay your dues and enjoy for decades. My spouse is now numb to boxes, speakers, cables and assorted doohickeys. Frankly the rule we have is that "on average" everything can't be replaced for 3 years. Given my love of B&W Nautilus speakers, my oldest speakers serving Wide duty help me stay within the blissful marital guidelines.
5). As kind of hinted to before. If you have efficient speakers and a less than 15 by 15 by 9 foot listening area (just an example) and you do not listen much at reference. You probably don't need a big external amp. I happen to listen to very dynamic mutli channel movies at reference a lot and I like lots of volume and lots of reserve. Also, my fronts are not particularly efficient and my center is hard to get loud and hard to drive (IMHO).

Many people here will say the Denon internals are very good and all you need. IMHO, for most needs yes, but not for mine. I want ridiculous reserves and lots of power. Subjective, I am not!!!

Great post. I enjoyed reading that!

post #5588 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Owners of every speaker brand say this. It's stock groupthink.

The Polkies are especially zealous when it comes to the benefits of more power. Absolutely 1000% positive, end of discussion sure that more power equals much better sound quality.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #5589 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
If you actually use the power (turn up the volume) then indeed all speakers "open up" (at least so long as they're not distorting). Don't forget that our hearing sensitivity falls off more rapidly at lower sound levels for the lowest and highest frequencies. I.e. it's not the speakers opening up, it's our hearing.

Selden
post #5590 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are, absolutely, situations where additional amps are beneficial or even required. SHTG is one... Beefy, non-Klipch-sensitive B&W Nautilus speakers driven to reference levels in a decent sized room, with a full 11ch setup... Yah, a receiver amp section probably isn't going to cut it.

What drives me nuts is the when the guy with 95db 8ohm speakers who listens 15-20db below reference in a 15x18 living room gets the advice, "oh man, adding an beefy amp is like NIGHT AND DAY! OMG!! Even at low volumes you will notice a a HUGE difference in bass, detail, soundstage, it's like your speakers come alive!"

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5591 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Batpig. I know the whole power thing has been totally pounded into the ground, then we dig it up and do it again and again. I love external amplifiers and I joke about placebo but in my case, the B&W HTM3S is not easy to drive. Reviews, others charts and even B&W show as much. Heck, the speakers have a pretty nasty drop to around 2.7 ohms right around the range of male vocals. As noted, I also do a lot of watching at reference. Sometimes a little above. The B&W manuals show the center as having an efficiency of 88db/1W/1M. I think it is slightly lower. The HTM3S is also not ported as my 803S's are. There is a notable difference in output between the two types of speakers. Thankfully, Audyssey can correct most of this; if not all. This is a good example why many forum members with brains and budgets far above mine recommend three matching fronts whenever possible. Some people recommend three 802D2's in the B&W thread. That's sooooooo not in my budget. For me, external amplification is something that I want and if you were at my place I could show listeners it makes a difference; in real world situations. (Not a drastic difference but a difference no less probably total placebo for low volume listening though - I want to believe it does though wink.gif). I can add that there is pretty much near zero reason to go all external with my 4311 and I'm guessing the 4520 as well. Really a good three channel amp would give me 98% (or better) performance of my all external system. I could not perceive any difference in sound from regular mode to "Pre" mode. Frankly, for a large room and moderate to very difficult speakers to drive, I would look seriously at a 7 channel amplifier. I would power all 5 fronts in an 11 speaker configuration and then power the Surrounds. I would let the AVR handle everything else. Unless you were trying to fill a massive room, that kind of power would be enough and your most important channels would all be powered by the same amp, theoretically getting you the most sound matched system you could get. Honestly though, with Audyssey, I don't think many if any person would be able to accurately tell what solid state amp was driving which speaker. OTH, a little teeny in ceiling height speaker will never match a giant 802D2. Amps can't help here. Speakers matter more than power; way, way more IMHO.

Your comment regarding Klipsch is so spot on. A speaker approaching 100db/1W/1M just needs very little power; ever. If you add big burly subs, you could damage your hearing with a 15 WPC amp before clipping. Keep in mind, power is logarithmic and with a very efficient speaker design, you can get the same sound output with 10% the power. People who suggest buying an expensive amp in this case are steering people the wrong way. Individuals who insist that the extra 500 Watts per channel drives a Klipcsh Horn to a whole new level; I find suspect. If I had Klipsch speakers, I would have fun trying to drive them with a $25 to $75 cheap china made digital amp before I go out and buy an expensive amp.
post #5592 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:

The Polkies are especially zealous when it comes to the benefits of more power. Absolutely 1000% positive, end of discussion sure that more power equals much better sound quality.

Not all of them. Don't throw them all under the bus. There are plenty of Polk owners who don't believe you get better sound with more wattage. I have given up on that argument because it almost always goes nowhere.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #5593 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

Thanks

If you own the RF-7s and/ either the RC-64II/RC-7 up front your AVR should be able to power those nicely in a medium size room at Reference level. I have the Denon AVR-4311ci and run those speakers in a 9.2 configuration and if you set a crossover at 60 Hz to 80 Hz an external amp would give you nothing, imo.
post #5594 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your comment regarding Klipsch is so spot on. A speaker approaching 100db/1W/1M just needs very little power; ever. If you add big burly subs, you could damage your hearing with a 15 WPC amp before clipping. Keep in mind, power is logarithmic and with a very efficient speaker design, you can get the same sound output with 10% the power. People who suggest buying an expensive amp in this case are steering people the wrong way. Individuals who insist that the extra 500 Watts per channel drives a Klipcsh Horn to a whole new level; I find suspect. If I had Klipsch speakers, I would have fun trying to drive them with a $25 to $75 cheap china made digital amp before I go out and buy an expensive amp.

I wouldn't call the Klipsch RF-7 speakers (and I suspect other larger Klipsch Reference) "a very efficient speaker design" because they all seem to have a jagged Frequency Response Curve. My guess is if you didn't have an AVR that was rated to drive speakers that were 4 Ohm you would run into problems with the RF-7s at especially loud volumes (in a multichannel configuration)and " with a $25 to $75 cheap china made digital amp" would find that out pretty quickly.
post #5595 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Some Klipsch owners of RF-7 say extra power really causes them to open up.

Why not ask this same question of RF-7 owners/former owners on the Klipsch thread?
Quote:

Owners of every speaker brand say this. It's stock groupthink. There's no need to ask in the owners thread because you already know what the answer will be.

I have over a thousand posts in the Klipsch Owners Thread and always had my voice drowned out by those folks and tried to sway discussions to the Audio Theory and Chat Forum, but no takers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Not all of them. Don't throw them all under the bus. There are plenty of Polk owners who don't believe you get better sound with more wattage. I have given up on that argument because it almost always goes nowhere.

Hey! That was me on the Klipsch Owners Thread. :0
post #5596 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't mean to impugn each individual by painting with a broad brush, but in nearly any thread the voiced of moderation tend to get drowned out by be mo power mo better crowd. Not an unpredictable sentiment given the volume of Y chromosomes on this forum.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5597 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't mean to impugn each individual by painting with a broad brush, but in nearly any thread the voiced of moderation tend to get drowned out by be mo power mo better crowd. Not an unpredictable sentiment given the volume of Y chromosomes on this forum.

You didn't hurt my feelings and I resemble that remark. wink.gif

Btw, Thanks for all of the great insight over the years--You helped me on an older Denon appreciate 2-channel music by engaging my sub and that info was PRICELESS.
post #5598 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Zen Traveler, I would definitely call the RF-7s a "Very Efficient Design" That or the manufacturer blatantly lies about specs. In the series, the 7s are also much more efficient than the rest of Klipsch's lesser speakers. Also, Klipsch claims +- 3db from 30Hz to 24Khz. That kind of confuses me on your observation/of "jagged" frequency curves. If the specs they quote are true, my ears can't easily hear +-3b as "jagged" sounding when I am -20 to -10 db on my 4311 with 11 speakers + 2 subs a thumping (normal listening level) no way could I hear anything at reference. I am pretty sure my hearing past 17khz is middle age and therefore toasted. Also Audyssey is expressly used to correct any "jagged" stuff. If the speakers don't much have a fairly reasonable frequency response; I'd say don't buy them or trade them out quickly. Frankly "jagged" frequency response can't be too easily corrected by more power but there is hope with better room treatment or EQ processing. Keep in mind, I really haven't heard these speakers and my long term just browsing experience with Klipsch stuff, is I don't like the sound. Too shrill for me. I can't describe the sound, just never been a fan. I am a truly subjective little bugger but I do like facts, figures, charts and the occasional engineer to inform me. "Jagged" sounds kind of subjective without charts. Little Class D amps work well into 4 ohms and sometimes lower your note on this is actually not correct.

Also, I am not saying to power your flagship speakers with a little Class D kit amp but many of these tiny little buggers can power loads as low as 4 ohms, quite easily and in fact; up to a point excel at it. As an example, the Nu Force Dia is rated only 18 W into 8 ohms but 24 into 4 ohms. On the other side of this, the W4S ST-500 Stereo is rated a measly 250W into 8 ohm loads and a somehow weak 550W into 4 ohms wink.gif. I am playing around here but pretty much any Class D amp is rated higher into 4 ohms than 8 ohms meaning they are well suited to match with the RF-7s. Remember though, I was just suggesting playing with the idea of trying these Klipsch with a little Class D; more to surprise your buddies on what you can do. I would never be happy with a 25 or 50 watt amplifier driving my beloved fronts and I assume you probably feel the same. I have some old 80s Tangent speakers in the garage which I power with a 50WPC Parts Express Class D Amp. The old Tangents are crazy ugly and the drivers are all 6 ohm spec'd. That little amp can really play and I can get the Tangents playing pretty loud up until it all sounds like crap and it clips harshly. Yes, I could fry the old Tangents....

So even we big bad amp lovers can have a lot of fun with all this crazy little amp on a chip stuff. I would still spend every penny I could on speakers first, last and in between. Well except for $25,000 replacement power cables biggrin.gif I'm sure that's what my system really needs to truly sound awesome.

Having fun...... Must stop posting and get back on subject. Me still thinks more power good but Klipsch should be fine with the 4520 and an extra amp for going to 11 land.
post #5599 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zen Traveler, I would definitely call the RF-7s a "Very Efficient Design" That or the manufacturer blatantly lies about specs. In the series, the 7s are also much more efficient than the rest of Klipsch's lesser speakers. Also, Klipsch claims +- 3db from 30Hz to 24Khz. That kind of confuses me on your observation/of "jagged" frequency curves...... Frankly "jagged" frequency response can't be too easily corrected by more power but there is hope with better room treatment or EQ processing. Keep in mind, I really haven't heard these speakers .... I am a truly subjective little bugger but I do like facts, figures, charts and the occasional engineer to inform me. "Jagged" sounds kind of subjective without charts. Little Class D amps work well into 4 ohms and sometimes lower your note on this is actually not correct.

Also, I am not saying to power your flagship speakers with a little Class D kit amp but many of these tiny little buggers can power loads as low as 4 ohms, quite easily and in fact; up to a point excel at it. .

You wrote quite a bit and I agree about the advantage of using Audyssey helping tame some of the harshness, but I am a Klipsch fan (of their upper-end speakers) and here are the measurements from another thread of the RF-7IIs: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412510/klipsch-rf7-ii-measurements

I may resurrect it because I want to find out if the original RF-7s which reportedly dip down to 2.8 Ohms in a couple of frequencies and if folks think that having a power supply that is rated to drive 4 Ohm speakers at Reference level is more appropriate than the actual Watts per Channel.
post #5600 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Zen. your charts show a minimum of 97 db with 2V at 1 meter. Even with that test, the 7s are very efficient. Truthfully, all the other charts look pretty normal for frequency response and also beyond my layman skills. The weird stuff at 18khz looks like a little squiggle, the other stuff I doubt I could discern. 3.7 ohms at a few frequencies says the 7s are not very difficult to drive. Electrostatics can drop below 2 ohms. 4520 should do fine. I love big amps but again, with the 4520s and the Klipsch fronts one really just needs a good couple extra amp channels to make it work in 11. whatever.

Then again, I don't own those speakers and those who do know better than me.
post #5601 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 PM

Liked: 10
hello I just installed my new denon 4520 I need to know how to use all 11.1 speakers I have a amp for the two rear speakers ran the set up just fine but when I put it in movie mode and try and use dts neox I cant use all 11 plus I can not find just audyssey dsx to see if I can do it with that .
please help before I go crazy with this set up

bmorrow40@yahoo.com
post #5602 of 8715 Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorrow40 View Post

hello I just installed my new denon 4520 I need to know how to use all 11.1 speakers I have a amp for the two rear speakers ran the set up just fine but when I put it in movie mode and try and use dts neox I cant use all 11 plus I can not find just audyssey dsx to see if I can do it with that .

bmorrow40@yahoo.com

Mate, did you go through the manual?
Have you setup the amp assign and speakers under Manual Settings?
post #5603 of 8715 Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorrow40 View Post

bmorrow40@yahoo.com

Set the Amp Assign setting to "Discrete 11.1 CH" (p. 141 OM) and at a minimum either the Front Main or Front Height speakers must be connected to an external amp so disconnect your two rear speakers from the external amp and reconnect to the 4520 and then disconnect the Front Height speakers from the 4520 and reconnect to the external amp instead. You'll need to run Audyssey again with this new configuration. Once done, and with Audyssey enabled, you should be able to press/hold the "Movie" button on the remote and select either DSX or DTS Neo:X.

SanchoPanza likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5604 of 8715 Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
I'm now thinking to the future about adding one, and possibly two, sub-woofer(s) to my current 5.0 setup. The SVS SB13-Ultra is looking pretty good right now.

I'm running the NHT VT-2 towers, NHT VS-2a Center, and NHT HDP-2 Surrounds. The FR/L are driven full-range by the Bryston 4B-ST with the Denon 4520 driving the center and surrounds.

Since I use this system as much for 2-Channel music as well as Home Theater, I'm wondering how the sub-woofers will benefit both modes of listening.

The Home Theater setup seems straight forward - just use both SUB1 and SUB2 line outs on the 4520. But how will this work when listening to 2-Channel sources only? I'd like to get the benefit
of increased low frequency extension on the high resolution 2-Channel FLAC music files too.

Thoughts?
post #5605 of 8715 Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM
585-645-1006

Unlike Audyssey MultEQ and MultEQ XT where the EQ filter resolution is far more pronounced on the sub, the benefit of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is that it offers the EQ filter resolution for both the speakers and the subs, so you're still covered when using only 2.0 (or 2.2 for that matter). smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5606 of 8715 Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158

^Herb, because you're looking for accuracy/ musicality I highly recommend two smallish subs rather than 1 larger.  Two subs also has the advantage of allowing you to place them to lessen room modes and thus produce smoother, more accurate bass.

I'm running 7.2 with an A100/4311 and using two Velodyne DD10s.  These subs are powerful and clean, yet nimble (faster cone excursion because of the smaller diam of the cone) -so are very "musical".  Though I have very capable speakers the subs really help the bass.

In 2 ch, there's no LFE ch but all the freqs below the xover are sent to the subs.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #5607 of 8715 Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I second the 2 small subs. Mine are tiny and but I have a ton of bass.
post #5608 of 8715 Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

"JD" - AVScience Sales, Direct phone --> 585-645-1006

M-F 8am - 9pm EST (nights/weekends when on line)

http://shop.avscience.com

Hmm, that's new isn't it? Congrats on your new (?) position.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #5609 of 8715 Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM
585-645-1006

Yup ... just started last week. smile.gif

post #5610 of 8715 Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I haven't been able to find anything on it.

But can I add other apps to the network area. Like where the Spotify, Flickr, Favorites. etc, etc...???
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page