Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
So many?? Right now the official count is at one biggrin.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 10169 Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I didn't realize there were so many Oppo haters out there. Expensive? Maybe. Well built and great support / customer service? Absolutely. I feel my Oppo has been worth every penny. smile.gif

I wouldn't go so far as saying Oppo-Hater. But if all you care about is watching BD, there is argument to be made that any player is comparable. Of course I'm assuming the times are equivalent and the plastic vs metal construction etc. don't matter. I happen to love my Oppo BDP95. I use it for my SACD (Brothers in Arms is *incredible*) so for me, SACD functionality is important.

PS3 is one of the most underutlized BD player there is, IMHO. But what kills it for me is the lack of IR support. I don't want to memorize those stupid PS3 controller buttons to navigate the BD movie.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #5943 of 10169 Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

No. No receiver that I'm aware of can do direct video streaming. Only audio and occasionally still images.

Thanks BP!
post #5944 of 10169 Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

I wouldn't go so far as saying Oppo-Hater. But if all you care about is watching BD, there is argument to be made that any player is comparable. Of course I'm assuming the times are equivalent and the plastic vs metal construction etc. don't matter. I happen to love my Oppo BDP95. I use it for my SACD (Brothers in Arms is *incredible*) so for me, SACD functionality is important.

PS3 is one of the most underutlized BD player there is, IMHO. But what kills it for me is the lack of IR support. I don't want to memorize those stupid PS3 controller buttons to navigate the BD movie.

A few yrs ago, I bought a remote for the ps3 at game stop. It came with a usb dongle. which my Logitech remote works with perfectly...Thank god...

I hope it will work with the ps4 when I get it....
post #5945 of 10169 Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM

As for my Emo amp to those that were trying to help. They emailed me a fed ex slip and I sent it back to them again. I love the amp, and was willing to use it for just the front height speakers if I couldn't get the 12 volt trigger to work. But something tells me they'll get it right this time... Its a great amp...
post #5946 of 10169 Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A brief question about reference level...

When I setup my avr4520 with Audyssey, it should be calibrated to play at reference level when the volume is at 0, right?

The thing is, When I play the avr internal test tones to adjust individual speaker levels, how come my RS spl and my omnimic spl and the spl I have on my iPad all read around 65 dB, c weighted, slow when I play each individual channel? I thought they should output 75 dB each?

Stef
post #5947 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Speaking of BDPs ... Oct 8-31 ... Buy the 4520CI and get the DBT-3313 BDP for shipping only. ******

Where do I get this deal at?

Thanks
post #5948 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

A brief question about reference level...

When I setup my avr4520 with Audyssey, it should be calibrated to play at reference level when the volume is at 0, right?

The thing is, When I play the avr internal test tones to adjust individual speaker levels, how come my RS spl and my omnimic spl and the spl I have on my iPad all read around 65 dB, c weighted, slow when I play each individual channel? I thought they should output 75 dB each?

The internal test tones bypass Audyssey. You need to use an external source of calibrated test tones.

Selden
post #5949 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are the 4520ci and DBT-3313 BDP brand new or refurbished items?
post #5950 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Let me see if I understand you correctly, James. If all one cares about is playing Blu-ray disks, a $100 player will work as well as the Oppo.

But if one wants additional value, such as the ability to play SACD, DVD-A, and even DSD audio files, plus superior up-scaling (including 4K), better analog audio, superior network apps, better build quality, excellent resale value, and excellent customer support, one might consider the Oppo?

Sounds about right.

Well that's a catchy tune, but let's add some quick CONTEXT...as that always helps.

First you imply a suggestion that's patently false: no one suggested you're "just playing blu rays". Have you seen the app suites on 2013 players? Yeah, it didn't sound like you have. They are, by and large, outstanding. Your allusion to Oppo's superiority in this dept is, I'm sorry, laughable.

The ability to play DVD A and SACD's was noted. No point in repeating it. Very very few need such things...and if you do you STILL do not need to pay $500-$1000, but you are certainly welcome to, Oppo will happily accept your money.

I have OWNED an Oppo BD player. And a Sony. And a Panasonic. The "superior" upscaling is by a whisker...no doubt about it. And prolly closer still on the brand new players. Certainly something no one is going to see on a 50-60" screen at typical viewing distances. Projector? Could be worthwhile.

Analog audio? Sure. Audibly "better"? Yeah, ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night. What percentage is using analog outs on a BD player to begin with? Oh, never mind. But if you DO need them, definitely get an Oppo...at 3-7X the cost of a comparably-equipped unit, elsewhere, cause you'll hear the difference. rolleyes.gif

Better build quality? Again, a sweeping generalization, but sure. See above. I've yet to have a BD player fail...of ANY brand.

Again, "better" network apps? Than whom? Another generalization.

Excellent resale? Why would you sell it in the first place? We all KNOW it's the best and well worth its FIVE and TEN X premiums. rolleyes.gif But if that's what you're after, take a look at what $100 players re-sell for, used. Trust me, you won't be flushing a ton of cash if you're somehow compelled to dump the thing in 6 months.

Now you only get "excellent" customer supports from Oppo? I've never had an issue with Panasonic...but I would never claim to speak for a company's CS on the whole with such a fantastically limited experience-base. I know others have no problem doing so. Go figure. rolleyes.gif

My point stands: the Oppos are a poor choice for the VAST majority, when you consider the cost to secure them. The upticks in FEATURES (those analog outs, SACD/DVD A playback, etc) will generally go unused by 99% of BD users. The other PURPORTED performance benefits you (and others) tout are, at best, debatable.

The reality is that it's a "boutique" brand that is precisely what a percentage of "audio and videophiles" need to have in their rack. They stuff a lot "hi end" stuff in their box...much of which means absolutely nothing in the end game of real-world audible and visible improvements...but it's nice to brag...I mean talk about. Simple as that.

Mock me all you like, I was trying to assist a member whom I surmised would be within the 99+% of us who would be fantastically over-spending by allotting $500 to $1000 on a blu ray player. I am not an Oppo "hater" as someone suggested and I resent the juvenile and baseless accusation...only thing worse than the turgid, impotent, "fanboy" vomit. I simply think they are grossly overpriced when contrasted with what you can purchase for ~ $100. I have the right to my opinion and I have backed it with fact and reasoning.

And if you had read my post more carefully that was all this was in the first place: the tendency of some to recommend an Oppo player blindly without even considering how a member was going to use it. If people actually have USE for some of these features or their perceived performance enhancements that's something totally different...although I still believe you do not need to spend anywhere near $1000 to get 99% of it done.

Moving along...

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #5951 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And if that is aimed at me, it's completely inaccurate. So then, zero.

James

post #5952 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

One additional factor to consider (if you watch a lot of BDs). The load time on some players can get annoying. Waiting a minute or so can be agonizing (hell, even 30 secs is too long!) So do take that into consideration. Finally, PS3s don't have IR for remote. You have to buy an adapter to take IR inputs. So if using a universal remote is important, don't forget to get a dongle for IR to BT. Or make sure your remote spews BT.

hsb

yep, good point, but I know the 2013 Panny players are blazing fast and I believe the Sony units have made great strides in that dept as well???

James

post #5953 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Are the 4520ci and DBT-3313 BDP brand new or refurbished items?

Brand new A stock ! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5954 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That's a great deal - wish I would have waited to order for 6 months!

JJ
post #5955 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Better build quality? Again, a sweeping generalization, but sure. See above. I've yet to have a BD player fail...of ANY brand.

I had a Panasonic Blu Ray player die after 2 years and 2 months. The Warranty was for 2 years. That Blu Ray player was expensive - over $ 500.00. Only the fact that I bought it with an AMEX card saved me. They refunded my money. I bought an Oppo BDP83. I'm still using it. It has ( so far ) lasted over twice the life of the Panasonic . And it's still going. I've only needed one firmware update to keep it working perfectly.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5956 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^ yep, stuff happens and 5+ years ago players were MUCH more expensive, to be sure. A few months ago I read that the 3 year failure rate for BD players is very similar to that of AVRS: ~2%. So the chances of failure are very slim, fortunately. Thankfully too though, you can buy a $100 player 5 or 10 times over if need be (and they'll all be brand new, ultra-current!). smile.gif

James

post #5957 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Quote:

And if that is aimed at me, it's completely inaccurate. So then, zero.

James

It was obviously a joke, James. Relax.

I actually agree with you to a great extent. Oppos are WAY over recommended on this forum and the cost premium is not justified for the vast majority of users.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5958 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

It was obviously a joke, James. Relax.

I actually agree with you to a great extent. Oppos are WAY over recommended on this forum and the cost premium is not justified for the vast majority of users.

This is meandering well OT, but I like my Oppo BR so much I have two...cool.gif

For me, along with universal play formats, I wanted a player that could be easily set up for multizone DVD and BR playback, and convert PAL to NTSC transparently without buffering or scaling issues. Add the frequent firmware updates and both the company's customer support and the large AVS forum base for it, and the $500 or so is a no-brainer.

Do I need the apps? Not really, with Apple TV and a higher-end TiVo. How many ways do we need to stream Netflix? smile.gif.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #5959 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

This is meandering well OT, but I like my Oppo BR so much I have two...cool.gif

and their reputation and being "way over" recommended wink.gif is very well deserved
and unlike some, I've owned more than 1 BD player wink.gif

1st gen Panasonic (which I really liked except it could not decode DTS-MA)
2nd gen Pioneer (including promised performance by Pioneer that didn't really materialize until 6 months after release & even then didn't live up to its hype)
$2K flagship Pioneer, very solid performance, still own
Oppo 93
late model Pioneer 62 player (to be able to use its PQLS jitter control system with Pio AVR) - bought drastically reduced price on sale

BY FAR, the best player is the Oppo!

the new Pio 62 isn't even in the ballpark with an Oppo. I only bought it for music with Pioneer's proprietary PQLS but if it weren't for that and the heavily discounted price, it would have no value to me. While it's fast, its interface is clunky, less adjustments, stripped out connections being a transport only, doesn't even have an IR jack in the rear. It is not even a contest, no where close to worth its MSRP of $399; for $200 or less, it's acceptable but not what I'd call a great player. The $500 Oppo outdoes the former flagship $2000 Pioneer wink.gif I's sure the same is true comparing Oppo with Denon players wink.gif

There is absolutely no question, my next BD player will be another Oppo, either the upcoming 103D or the 105; I haven't decided which but plan to buy before end of year and will be putting my region-free modded Oppo 93 FS. anyone interested...stay tuned biggrin.gif

It may be more than some need or want, but there is no question it is THE reference player if that's what one wants in a player smile.gif And NO other company matches Oppo when it comes to adding new features with FW.

So "way over" recommended? I don't think so smile.gif

Steve
post #5960 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

One could make the argument that if you're interested in "higher end" AVR, Oppo may be the right compliment. I've owned Sony, Samsung and Oppo. Although Samsung had the better upscaling for watching DVDs, it took a *long* time to load the discs. Sony was "OK" but never a "wow...that's nice" kind of a player. Oppo for me, was a great player. And this is the second one that I purchased. So I'm voting with my wallet that Oppo is the winner.

PS3 (and the upcoming PS4) is the interesting choice because it has so much more horsepower than any other player. And that makes it future proof (like when PS3 used its processing power to support Master Audio - I think that was the one).

As for the built-in apps, I find them to be clunky on most players. Again, PS3 has the upper hand here, but I tend to use my Roku to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix streamed videos.

hsb

Thanks,
Hansang
post #5961 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

and their reputation and being "way over" recommended wink.gif is very well deserved
and unlike some, I've owned more than 1 BD player wink.gif

1st gen Panasonic (which I really liked except it could not decode DTS-MA)
2nd gen Pioneer (including promised performance by Pioneer that didn't really materialize until 6 months after release & even then didn't live up to its hype)
$2K flagship Pioneer, very solid performance, still own
Oppo 93
late model Pioneer 62 player (to be able to use its PQLS jitter control system with Pio AVR) - bought drastically reduced price on sale

BY FAR, the best player is the Oppo!

the new Pio 62 isn't even in the ballpark with an Oppo. I only bought it for music with Pioneer's proprietary PQLS but if it weren't for that and the heavily discounted price, it would have no value to me. While it's fast, its interface is clunky, less adjustments, stripped out connections being a transport only, doesn't even have an IR jack in the rear. It is not even a contest, no where close to worth its MSRP of $399; for $200 or less, it's acceptable but not what I'd call a great player. The $500 Oppo outdoes the former flagship $2000 Pioneer wink.gif I's sure the same is true comparing Oppo with Denon players wink.gif

There is absolutely no question, my next BD player will be another Oppo, either the upcoming 103D or the 105; I haven't decided which but plan to buy before end of year and will be putting my region-free modded Oppo 93 FS. anyone interested...stay tuned biggrin.gif

It may be more than some need or want, but there is no question it is THE reference player if that's what one wants in a player smile.gif

It's not even that. Except an equally esoteric feature to PQLS like Denon Link (meaning nice to have, but the perception of it making a difference is subtle), I can't see why anybody would use anything other than an Oppo if they're willing to spend more than the price of an Oppo 105. The main thing manufacturers like Denon, Pioneer, and Panasonic have WRT BluRay players is that they're available in brick and mortar stores, so they can leverage market presence and brand loyalty for bundled sales with AVRs. At least until Sony or somebody develops a player than can play native Ultra HD format or something.....

I'm saying this as someone that's got a Denon DVD-5910, the reference DVD/analog audio player for the ages circa 2005, as a paper weight.. frown.gif

OTOH I could a similar thing concerning Audyssey. Given the discussions lately about the superiority of XT32 over XT even above bass frequencies, unless you have a limited budget, there's little reason to buy a Denon other than the X4000 or 4520, both XT32 units. But limited budget isn't unknown for some..

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #5962 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM

Did I do that?

Seems a couple of days ago I was asking if waiting for the new ps4 when it comes out was a good idea. Which is what i'm going to do....My daughter taking my ps3 fat, and looks like I just traded someone for some remote control cars for a newer ps3 slim to use for the time being. Then some day an oppo.

I do have a question there. I know this is the Denon 4520 thread, but, is there anything I should look out for when getting a used ps3.....

And to eliminate any pc to tv streaming issues, which I really haven't had with the ps3 fat in quite a long time, looks like the new Roku 3 will fill the bill real good. Unless someone thinks something is better for streaming. I use a lot of mkv files. I have a sony media player in the bedroom, and a wd media player in living room running through the Denon 4520, I think i'm losing some audio on that one. So the new Roku 3 will be a upgrade for me there...

Picture quality is always important to me. My theater consists of the Sony 70r550a. It may not be their best TV. But as long as I send a good signal to it. Its the best I've ever seen in my home. But audio is probably just as important. Isn't that why we bought the Denon 4520. And I am running 11.2. Well I will be when I get my Emo amp back....

I really like the new 7.1 blu ray disk that have been coming out. Cant wait for the new Wolverine movie to come on disc. I heard it adds some type of audio to it. Really make my theater come to life. I hope....
post #5963 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Denon DVD-5910....Ya right.
post #5964 of 10169 Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd make sure they turn on the PS3 for you. there's an option to factory default it which erases all content and restores to "factory new" condition. The other thing to consider is letting it run for a bit playing a game to see if the fan kicks in excessively. There was a patch of PS3s with less than quality heat sink/thermal paste. I actually had to take mine apart to replace the thermal paste with Arctic Silver Fox paste. It helped quite a bit.

Good luck and good hunting.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #5965 of 10169 Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Just FYI for anyone in the same boat as I: For as much as I'd like to jump on the 4520, I was upset by the fact that they dropped SPDIF support to the zones, so I thought there didn't exist an AVR or PRE on the market that:

Has 11.2 capability w/ Sub EQ HT
NEO X
(2) Independent HDMIs
And SPDIF support to the zones

Now though, it appears after close inspection that the Marantz 7008 DOES indeed do these things, if I'm reading the manual correctly.

Can someone who has considered either speak to other differences? I'm assuming different DACS and perhaps a more robust build with the 4520, as I don't know how much more it could possess over the 7008.

Wow, just never expected this to be a reality...I assumed the 7008 was a hard clone of the 4520 with just a bit less to offer with a $500 lower MSRP.

EDIT: Yep, it was too good to be true: In my haste to be excited, I wasn't thorough enough. frown.gif The 7008 is limited to 9 channel processing, which makes sense as it would be cannibal-city if it did do 11. Funnily enough, I mentioned this on its thread 4 months ago...must be getting old.

sorry and thanks...back to square one for me.

James

post #5966 of 10169 Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Question about zone 2/HDMI:

While perusing the manual for the Marantz 7008, I noticed it was able to downmix a multichannel HDMI to PCM to enable it to output to the Zone 2 pre's...is this the case with the 4520?

So basically, can I can send ANY HDMI audio to Zone 2 and have the Denon do the heavy lifting of downmixing?

I thought it was just limited to a 2 channel PCM signal over HDMI? This would be nice as I wouldn't need to find a BD player that downmixed to 2 channel for blu ray playback.

EDIT: NEVER MIND...there is absolutely zero independent digital playback to the zones. I thought HDMI was ok, but that's prolly limited to the "ALL STEREO" function.

At least analog inputs can be assigned so I can continue to have the ability of switching between music and play by play/SAT BOX audio in Zone 2/3.

thanks,
James

post #5967 of 10169 Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow, just never expected this to be a reality...I assumed the 7008 was a hard clone of the 4520 with just a bit less to offer with a $500 lower MSRP.

EDIT: Yep, it was too good to be true: In my haste to be excited, I wasn't thorough enough. frown.gif The 7008 is limited to 9 channel processing, which makes sense as it would be cannibal-city if it did do 11.

Yeah, it's actually more accurate to think of it as a bulked up clone of the X4000 rather than a lesser clone of the 4520. Almost there James! smile.gif The 4520 replacement is sure to be the one!!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5968 of 10169 Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Greetings from a new 4520 owner smile.gif

One initial question, the Audyssey calculation appeared to complete in less than one minute - is this normal for this unit, as the manual implies it will take several minutes.
I ran a full eight position measurement, with a total of seven speakers being swept (FL, FR, SL, SR, FHL, FHR, Sub - not running a center at the moment).

Prior to unit setup I upgraded the firmware to the latest, via the network, all went okay, took approx. 43 minutes.
Also performed two Deep Resets after firmware.
Everything else appears to be working correctly.

Regards, Mike.
post #5969 of 10169 Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Question about zone 2/HDMI:

While perusing the manual for the Marantz 7008, I noticed it was able to downmix a multichannel HDMI to PCM to enable it to output to the Zone 2 pre's...is this the case with the 4520?

So basically, can I can send ANY HDMI audio to Zone 2 and have the Denon do the heavy lifting of downmixing?

I thought it was just limited to a 2 channel PCM signal over HDMI? This would be nice as I wouldn't need to find a BD player that downmixed to 2 channel for blu ray playback.

EDIT: NEVER MIND...there is absolutely zero independent digital playback to the zones. I thought HDMI was ok, but that's prolly limited to the "ALL STEREO" function.

At least analog inputs can be assigned so I can continue to have the ability of switching between music and play by play/SAT BOX audio in Zone 2/3.

thanks,
James

I'm assuming the Marantz 7008 is the same as the X4000 here, so here's how it works on the X4000 (forgive me in advance if something I note below doesn't also apply to the 7008):

- The receiver doesn't actually do a background stereo PCM downmix on digital content. It still can only send 2.0 PCM signals to Zone 2/3, however the major advance is that it can do this from SPDIF and ALSO from HDMI inputs. So the X4000 definitely can do fully independent digital playback to the Zones from any input, as long as the digital input signal is 2.0 PCM. For example, with the X4000 you could be watching a Blu-ray in the main zone while playing music from an Apple TV to Zone 2/3 with only HDMI cable connections.

- You are correct that with the 4520 the only way to send digital input signals to other zones is with the All Zone Stereo feature (which requires the same source in all zones). The only way around this would be to use a cheap HDMI

- The "Zone 2/3 HDMI" setting that you probably saw and interpreted as a downmix feature is actually an EDID based solution. I also thought it was a downmix option but what it does instead is request that the SOURCE provide the dowmnix by broadcasting EDID info that 2.0 PCM is the max acceptable signal. So (theoretically, because HDMI often doesn't behave as expected in practice) what happens is that you turn on Zone 2, select a Zone 2 source that is an HDMI input, and the source device should say, "OK, the HDMI sink is reporting 2.0 PCM max input capability, I will automatically drop down to stereo PCM output." Everything is seemless and peachy keen.

The implication of this though is that if you have the SAME source selected in both Main Zone and Zone 2/3, it will force the PCM downmix for all zones (because the source sees two different HDMI sinks and corresponds to the capability of the lesser of the two). So for example, if you tried to watch a football game from the HDMI cable box in Main Zone and also pipe the audio from the game to Zone 2/3, you would get a stereo feed in all zones and have to use PLIIx or whatever to re-upmix to surround in Main Zone.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5970 of 10169 Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post

Greetings from a new 4520 owner smile.gif

One initial question, the Audyssey calculation appeared to complete in less than one minute - is this normal for this unit, as the manual implies it will take several minutes.
I ran a full eight position measurement, with a total of seven speakers being swept (FL, FR, SL, SR, FHL, FHR, Sub - not running a center at the moment).

Prior to unit setup I upgraded the firmware to the latest, via the network, all went okay, took approx. 43 minutes.
Also performed two Deep Resets after firmware.
Everything else appears to be working correctly.

Regards, Mike.

Normal smile.gif

I think the manual is just being cautious in its estimates.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page