The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 217 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6481 of 10219 Old 12-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Walternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Update on my post #6211. I sent the refurbed 4520 to A4L several weeks ago. I had to pay for return shipping. After they received it they refunded my money minus about half of the shipping cost to send it to me. It was originally free shipping. So all in all I'm out about $80 or so for testing the "manufactures" repair on the refurb. I really don't think the customer should be responsible for shipping when they were sent defective equipment. I don't really think the seller should either though, that should be the manufacturer, Denon in this case, they are the ones that sent out, or allowed to be sent out by their third party repair shop, the poorly repaired refurb. However its done now, I'm over it, and that's all I intend to say about that.

Thanks Soundofmind for suggesting calling JD. I did just that, even before I got the refund from A4L. It was a really good deal, couldn't pass it up.

A4L came through and I'm mostly satisfied with the out come except for what I stated above. However I don't think I'll be buying anymore refurbs any time soon.

Thank you JD for such a good deal. I'll be sure to give AVS first shot on all my future electronics purchases.

Oh yeah, this 4520 works great!
Walternate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6482 of 10219 Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

I upgraded to the 4520 from a 4311. I wanted Neo X, 11.2 and Menu's on 3D. Sound quality seemed the same, though I will say the noise floor seems lower on the 4520, but was never an issue or noticeable until I went looking for it. There is better speaker level control on the 4311 and the 4311 has better display information (in and out signal displays).

Unless you are looking for one of the features I mentioned, there really isn't a reason to get a 4520. Feel free to buy mine when the next Denon comes out. wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback - I will be patient and wait for the replacement. I doubt you'll have little trouble selling the 4520 when it's time.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
smurraybhm is offline  
post #6483 of 10219 Old 12-28-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundofMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walternate View Post

Update on my post #6211. I sent the refurbed 4520 to A4L several weeks ago. I had to pay for return shipping. After they received it they refunded my money minus about half of the shipping cost to send it to me. It was originally free shipping. So all in all I'm out about $80 or so for testing the "manufactures" repair on the refurb. I really don't think the customer should be responsible for shipping when they were sent defective equipment...

Thanks Soundofmind for suggesting calling JD. I did just that, even before I got the refund from A4L. It was a really good deal, couldn't pass it up.

I don't think I'll be buying anymore refurbs any time soon.

Thank you JD for such a good deal. I'll be sure to give AVS first shot on all my future electronics purchases.

Oh yeah, this 4520 works great!


Glad to be of assist and thnx for sharing your experience.  I don't mind occasionally grabbing a bargain demo/open box from a local BB as you have 30 days to take it back at no charge. But your experience is just the sort of thing that has kept me from buying refurb by mail. 

 

Yup you just can't beat jd @ AVS for exc service and price!


Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

SoundofMind is offline  
post #6484 of 10219 Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DenonLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post


Glad to be of assist and thnx for sharing your experience.  I don't mind occasionally grabbing a bargain demo/open box from a local BB as you have 30 days to take it back at no charge. But your experience is just the sort of thing that has kept me from buying refurb by mail. 

Yup you just can't beat jd @ AVS for exc service and price!

+1
DenonLover is offline  
post #6485 of 10219 Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Member
 
csilverstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having some trouble lately with subwoofer configuration through Audyssey with my 4520 receiver. On initial SW level matching (getting it to 75 db), it seems to prompting me to turn the subwoofer dial lower than I remember previously to hit 75 db. After configuration, subwoofer level is very low and barely audible. Distance configured for the sub in Audyssey is also more than a few feet farther than expected. All other speakers are set correctly, and I don't believe I was having this problem with the sub through Audyssey on previous configurations (at least nothing I noticed), but now the problem is consistent each time I run Audyssey. I can raise the volume of the sub after configuration, but am still wondering what could be wrong or if this might be a sign of something else that went wrong with the sub during the configuration beyond only volume.

If there is a problem, is it more likely something wrong with the mic or the receiver itself. I've tried multiple subs and seen similar results, so I don't believe it is the sub. Thanks for any advice!
csilverstein is offline  
post #6486 of 10219 Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
The longer sub distance setting is to be expected as this is not a "distance" setting rather a "delay" setting to account for the sub filters so then what you are experiencing is normal. Also, many owners find the sub level to be lower than preferred, so simply use the Sub level setting and bump up the sub trim 4-5 db to suit your preference. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6487 of 10219 Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
gadgetfreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been troubleshooting for 4hrs.. hoping someone can help me frown.gif

I have a 60ft monoprice Redmere HDMI cable to the Sony HW55 projector. I can't seem to get a picture to the projector. My Roku will pass the audio, my boxee nothing most of the time, although i've gotten audio before, and my Sony 5100 bluray player I now can't get picture or sound.

The weird thing is that the first day I hooked everything up I was having issues where the bluray would only pass sound, I then moved the HDMI to monitor 2 and magically the picture came out and everything worked great. Everything in the receiver worked, all the inputs, boxee, roku, bluray.

Today, I was trying to get my Darbee integrated in, going from the receiver to the projector. I only got a purple picture, so I tried the darbee directly from the dvd player, boxee etc.

Now I can't get a picture back on the Denon. I've tried the microprocessor full reset several times. changing every imaginable setting in hdmi, video out but the only thing I can get is roku audio now frown.gif

If the roku or the boxee is plugged directly into the projector cable I can get a picture, but not thru the denon. Wrench in this is that the dvd directly to the projector now doesn't give me a picture..

So I can't figure out if it's the cable, the receiver or the projector.. One last mysterious thing is a few moments ago the screen on the denon would go dark until I hit the volume button, but wouldn't come back on if i hit menu. I turned the receiver on and off and everything worked again.

Thoughts? please help for my sanity..
gadgetfreaky is offline  
post #6488 of 10219 Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Get a different hdmi cable and a tv and plug them into your denon avr. This will let you know if it is the denon or not. This could be some major handshaking issues hopefully. Did you turn the avr off when unplugging and plugging stuff back in? It is a good practice to do that.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #6489 of 10219 Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I've been troubleshooting for 4hrs.. hoping someone can help me frown.gif

I have a 60ft monoprice Redmere HDMI cable to the Sony HW55 projector. I can't seem to get a picture to the projector. My Roku will pass the audio, my boxee nothing most of the time, although i've gotten audio before, and my Sony 5100 bluray player I now can't get picture or sound.

The weird thing is that the first day I hooked everything up I was having issues where the bluray would only pass sound, I then moved the HDMI to monitor 2 and magically the picture came out and everything worked great. Everything in the receiver worked, all the inputs, boxee, roku, bluray.

Today, I was trying to get my Darbee integrated in, going from the receiver to the projector. I only got a purple picture, so I tried the darbee directly from the dvd player, boxee etc.

Now I can't get a picture back on the Denon. I've tried the microprocessor full reset several times. changing every imaginable setting in hdmi, video out but the only thing I can get is roku audio now frown.gif

If the roku or the boxee is plugged directly into the projector cable I can get a picture, but not thru the denon. Wrench in this is that the dvd directly to the projector now doesn't give me a picture..

So I can't figure out if it's the cable, the receiver or the projector.. One last mysterious thing is a few moments ago the screen on the denon would go dark until I hit the volume button, but wouldn't come back on if i hit menu. I turned the receiver on and off and everything worked again.

Thoughts? please help for my sanity..

A few things to note ... a redmere cable only works in one direction (which you already seem to know but just a reminder) and also, although the cable is designed to work over 60' distance, it either may be defective or an HDMI extender may be required (check with Monoprice on this). When introducing the Darbee, ensure it is placed at the PJ input vice at the AVR output. And lastly, the front panel display on the AVR will go dark when in PURE DIRECT mode, so select another surround mode MOVIE or MUSIC to take it out of PURE DIRECT.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6490 of 10219 Old 12-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Member
 
newbie2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I would appreciate some information regarding the 4520.

I currently own the 4311 and I am considering an upgrade to the 4520. My main issue with the 4311 is that I want to bi-amp my fronts using an external amplifier. The 4311 does not support hi-amping using preouts, it does the bi-amping using the speakers terminals only.

My question is, would I be able to bi-amp my fronts using the pre-outs on the 4520?

I have a 9.2 setup, and I have the high channels free, so I can use those preouts if required.


My second question is, if the above is possible, would I be able to add high channels and continue to maintain bi-amping of the fronts using an external amp? Maybe using another zone preouts?

I would appreciate any light that can be shed on this as the available information is scarce.
newbie2002 is offline  
post #6491 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,731
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1444
ANY receiver with preouts supports (passive) binamping. Just add an RCA splitter from the preout to two channels on the external amp.

That is (sorry to joke at your expense tongue.gif) the worst reason to upgrade to the 4520 possible!
newbie2002 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #6492 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Member
 
newbie2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

ANY receiver with preouts supports (passive) binamping. Just add an RCA splitter from the preout to two channels on the external amp.

That is (sorry to joke at your expense tongue.gif) the worst reason to upgrade to the 4520 possible!

eek.gif

You would not believe that I have been trying to find a solution for a few days! and the answer is so simple.

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

And you are right, this is a lame reason to buy the 4520.

I now have to find another one tongue.gif
newbie2002 is offline  
post #6493 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,731
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1444
The key thing to understand is that receiver binamping doesn't invoke any special processing. It simply duplicates the signal to two pairs of amps instead of one. If you have external amps there is no need to forfeit two internal channels for the purpose when you can just split the signal yourself.

That said are your speakers so power hungry that you need to do this rather than amping two other channels and/or using those two channels to expand to 11 channels? This type of binamping doesn't usually yield much benefit.

The most popular reason to upgrade seems to be the addition of NeoX which most seem to prefer over DSX. Second is probably the HDMI zone output. At this point though if the 4311 is serving you well I'd stay patient and wait for the new offerings at the high end which will bring HDMI 2.0 and some of the enhancements of the X4000 (better digital zone support) plus who knows what else.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #6494 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundofMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
 
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
...At this point though if the 4311 is serving you well I'd stay patient and wait for the new offerings at the high end which will bring HDMI 2.0 and some of the enhancements of the X4000 (better digital zone support) plus who knows what else.

+1 

Despite repeated bouts of upgradosis I've successfully resisted because logic has prevailed.  For my needs, as is the case for most folks, there is too little to be gained from replacing the awesome A100/4311 with any other current or past model.


Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

SoundofMind is offline  
post #6495 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,731
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1444
I thought you had succumbed to the 8801?!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #6496 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,567
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 793

We talked him out of it.  After all, he is "Sound of Mind", isn't he?

AustinJerry is online now  
post #6497 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundofMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161

True, true. My "crew" of on-line  buds kept me strapped to the mast as we sailed past the siren islands of used AVP-A1 w/XT32 upgrade, 8801, 4520/3313 bundle and just yesterday  we even cleared the shoals of the last NIB w/ fact warr Sherwood Newcastle 972 w/ Trinnov REQ deliv from AC4L for $500.   Holding fast on the HT upgrades... 

 

HOWEVER, I lent out my studio gear including my Event monitors from the desktop of my home office (where I'm spending increasing amounts of time working-or being distracted from work by the forums, he-he).  So I picked up a fab pair of deserving -of-the-accolades-they're-getting KEF LS50s for the home office from jdsmoothie @ AVSSales.

 

My little desktop setup: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners/420#post_24115203


Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

SoundofMind is offline  
post #6498 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
gadgetfreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Get a different hdmi cable and a tv and plug them into your denon avr. This will let you know if it is the denon or not. This could be some major handshaking issues hopefully. Did you turn the avr off when unplugging and plugging stuff back in? It is a good practice to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A few things to note ... a redmere cable only works in one direction (which you already seem to know but just a reminder) and also, although the cable is designed to work over 60' distance, it either may be defective or an HDMI extender may be required (check with Monoprice on this). When introducing the Darbee, ensure it is placed at the PJ input vice at the AVR output. And lastly, the front panel display on the AVR will go dark when in PURE DIRECT mode, so select another surround mode MOVIE or MUSIC to take it out of PURE DIRECT.


Ok, my installer came over and installed a Key Digital HDMI Balun. Still no picture! I then brought over my small TV to the rack to test everything.
2 different Roku's , Control4, Boxee, all produce a picture. The Denon will not produce a picture on monitor 1 or 2. I've unplugged it for a few min plugged it back in. Reset the microprocessor, but still no picture either on the projector over the balun or the local tv directly with 5 different HDMI cables all of which tested fine to produce pictures from all 3 other devices. I get audio, just no picture.

Only thing I can think of is get better cables? Mind you all these cables worked fine on my 4311. But is the new denon more sensitive since it's 4k? Weirdest thing is it worked for the first 2 days fine, now nothing.

The other odd thing which I posted on the sony 5100 thread is that the Sony won't get me a picture either on all 3 tv's I've plugged it into, just gives me the bluray splash screen.

I'm wondering if all the plugging and unplugging with the redmere cable caused some funky stuff to happen with the hdmi on those 2? the only common thing is those are brand new & 3d capable?

I HATE HDMI! please help...
gadgetfreaky is offline  
post #6499 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post


Ok, my installer came over and installed a Key Digital HDMI Balun. Still no picture! I then brought over my small TV to the rack to test everything.
2 different Roku's , Control4, Boxee, all produce a picture. The Denon will not produce a picture on monitor 1 or 2. I've unplugged it for a few min plugged it back in. Reset the microprocessor, but still no picture either on the projector over the balun or the local tv directly with 5 different HDMI cables all of which tested fine to produce pictures from all 3 other devices. I get audio, just no picture.

Only thing I can think of is get better cables? Mind you all these cables worked fine on my 4311. But is the new denon more sensitive since it's 4k? Weirdest thing is it worked for the first 2 days fine, now nothing.

The other odd thing which I posted on the sony 5100 thread is that the Sony won't get me a picture either on all 3 tv's I've plugged it into, just gives me the bluray splash screen.

I'm wondering if all the plugging and unplugging with the redmere cable caused some funky stuff to happen with the hdmi on those 2? the only common thing is those are brand new & 3d capable?

I HATE HDMI! please help...
That sucks man, but it does sound like the avr's got messed up somehow. I learned the hard way in my field to always turn off or shut down electronics when unplugging and especially plugging things into devices. Could it be possible that you didn't turn off the avr's when testing or changing out cables? I just throwing out suggestions because I just don't know how to help you at this point or if that even matters with hdmi.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #6500 of 10219 Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
gadgetfreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

That sucks man, but it does sound like the avr's got messed up somehow. I learned the hard way in my field to always turn off or shut down electronics when unplugging and especially plugging things into devices. Could it be possible that you didn't turn off the avr's when testing or changing out cables? I just throwing out suggestions because I just don't know how to help you at this point or if that even matters with hdmi.

I definitely didn't turn off the AVR when I plugged and plugged things in.. I've never done that before so didn't think I needed to. You think that fried it somehow?
gadgetfreaky is offline  
post #6501 of 10219 Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,759
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
 
A few things to note ... a redmere cable only works in one direction (which you already seem to know but just a reminder) and also, although the cable is designed to work over 60' distance, it either may be defective or an HDMI extender may be required (check with Monoprice on this). When introducing the Darbee, ensure it is placed at the PJ input vice at the AVR output. And lastly, the front panel display on the AVR will go dark when in PURE DIRECT mode, so select another surround mode MOVIE or MUSIC to take it out of PURE DIRECT.

 

Hey JD - Happy New year to you.

 

Could you elaborate on the part I have bolded above?  I have my Darbelt at the AVR end because it is difficult for me to provide power for it at the PJ end. Does it matter which end it is at?

kbarnes701 is offline  
post #6502 of 10219 Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 AM
Senior Member
 
knoxtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post


Ok, my installer came over and installed a Key Digital HDMI Balun. Still no picture! I then brought over my small TV to the rack to test everything.
2 different Roku's , Control4, Boxee, all produce a picture. The Denon will not produce a picture on monitor 1 or 2. I've unplugged it for a few min plugged it back in. Reset the microprocessor, but still no picture either on the projector over the balun or the local tv directly with 5 different HDMI cables all of which tested fine to produce pictures from all 3 other devices. I get audio, just no picture.

Only thing I can think of is get better cables? Mind you all these cables worked fine on my 4311. But is the new denon more sensitive since it's 4k? Weirdest thing is it worked for the first 2 days fine, now nothing.

The other odd thing which I posted on the sony 5100 thread is that the Sony won't get me a picture either on all 3 tv's I've plugged it into, just gives me the bluray splash screen.

I'm wondering if all the plugging and unplugging with the redmere cable caused some funky stuff to happen with the hdmi on those 2? the only common thing is those are brand new & 3d capable?

I HATE HDMI! please help...

I had a receiver do that to me once......not a Denon - but same symptoms.....turned out the video board had failed.
gadgetfreaky likes this.
knoxtn is offline  
post #6503 of 10219 Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Hey JD - Happy New year to you.

Could you elaborate on the part I have bolded above?  I have my Darbelt at the AVR end because it is difficult for me to provide power for it at the PJ end. Does it matter which end it is at?

Hey Keith ... and to you and Mrs. K as well .... smile.gif

If you are not experiencing any video issues with the Darbee at the AVR end, then no worries ... the PJ end placement seems to result in fewer issues. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6504 of 10219 Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,759
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Hey JD - Happy New year to you.

Could you elaborate on the part I have bolded above?  I have my Darbelt at the AVR end because it is difficult for me to provide power for it at the PJ end. Does it matter which end it is at?

Hey Keith ... and to you and Mrs. K as well .... smile.gif

If you are not experiencing any video issues with the Darbee at the AVR end, then no worries ... the PJ end placement seems to result in fewer issues. smile.gif

 

Ah, right. OK - thanks. No issues with the Darblet here - other than the magenta 'flash' during handshake negotiation, which I understand is considered 'normal'...

kbarnes701 is offline  
post #6505 of 10219 Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I definitely didn't turn off the AVR when I plugged and plugged things in.. I've never done that before so didn't think I needed to. You think that fried it somehow?
It is a possibility. When you plug and unplug things in while the power is on, you run the risk of shorting something. I can't say for sure you did that or not, but it is always good practice to just turn your equipment off first next time. Like I said before, I learned the hard way trying to do things faster, but I did it on really expensive cnc machines.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #6506 of 10219 Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
kertofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, this may have been answered before but if I turn on Zone 4 only, should I be able to get a full HDMI feed from my other sources to the Zone 4 target? I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just wanted to check.
kertofer is offline  
post #6507 of 10219 Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Member
 
jjslegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Got the 4520 back from its second trip to the repair center. Goodnews this time they actually replaced something. Hoping this fixes all my issues!

Network/Dsp Unit Avr4520Ci (8U-310115) was replaced.

Fingers crossed.

JJ
jjslegacy is offline  
post #6508 of 10219 Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

Hey guys, this may have been answered before but if I turn on Zone 4 only, should I be able to get a full HDMI feed from my other sources to the Zone 4 target? I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just wanted to check.

Yup. Rear HDMI inputs only though.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6509 of 10219 Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Ah, right. OK - thanks. No issues with the Darblet here - other than the magenta 'flash' during handshake negotiation, which I understand is considered 'normal'...

Yup ... a regular occurrence on my setup to be sure.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6510 of 10219 Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
kertofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks JDS!
kertofer is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off