The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 10586 Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had to reset the microprocessor today.

It really bummed me out too. I had a friend over to hear the 11.2 audio and my see my new system. Over all I think he was very impressed. But, after the movie I wanted to show him how I think with prolonged usage, I could cause my ceiling to fall down.

I usually use the network setting to connect to my pc. Thought I play ( down with the sickness ) For the life of me, the avr would not connect. Not to mention, I only had about a 10 minute window before my wife came home. She'd just die if she knew how loud this machine can go.

I tried everything to connect, except resetting the microprocessor. ( and then my wife came home )

After resetting it, everything is back to normal. ALMOST....

Now I need to re-calibrate with Audyssey xt32. Cant do that tonight, drives my wife and dogs crazy. For anyone reading this, and have never set their avr up using the xt32. You are missing out.

I do have a question. I know there's a way to save the settings, so if and when I have to reset the system again. I wont have to redo everything. I've read the manual. Seems I've read something before, but can't find anything on it now.

So could someone help guild me how to save my settings.

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 10586 Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

I do have a question. I know there's a way to save the settings, so if and when I have to reset the system again. I wont have to redo everything. I've read the manual. Seems I've read something before, but can't find anything on it now.

Thanks......
To save your settings you need to open a browser in a computer on your home LAN and then opening a page with the IP of the Denon. You must select "set up menu" >general>save and follow the instructions
By the way I have noticed that the 4520 it's rather "software unstable" when continuous connected to a LAN. It's better to have the 4520 "disconnected when in stand by" option engaged at the network menu. This way you loose the switch on function from the mobile app when in stand by but you maintain full app functionality when amp is powered up.

Hope this helps.
post #6843 of 10586 Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

I had to reset the microprocessor today.

It really bummed me out too. I had a friend over to hear the 11.2 audio and my see my new system. Over all I think he was very impressed. But, after the movie I wanted to show him how I think with prolonged usage, I could cause my ceiling to fall down.

I usually use the network setting to connect to my pc. Thought I play ( down with the sickness ) For the life of me, the avr would not connect. Not to mention, I only had about a 10 minute window before my wife came home. She'd just die if she knew how loud this machine can go.

I tried everything to connect, except resetting the microprocessor. ( and then my wife came home )

After resetting it, everything is back to normal. ALMOST....

Now I need to re-calibrate with Audyssey xt32. Cant do that tonight, drives my wife and dogs crazy. For anyone reading this, and have never set their avr up using the xt32. You are missing out.

Thanks......

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430049/the-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread/330#post_22487485

post #6844 of 10586 Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I hate nightmares.

Off the wall question, have you tried different HDMI cables? At fifty feet, one could possibly be bad. I've read a lot of stories about how switching out cables would fix the problem. No warranty on this suggestion, but it's worth a try.

At least with pizza and whiskey, you know what you're getting. tongue.gif

-

Appreciate the thought, but this was one of the first things I was advised to do.  Now I have two HDMI cables, one active and one passive.

post #6845 of 10586 Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Ive got a strange issue with my receiver that im trying to solve. So ive had my 4520CI for a while and have watched many movies on it. Last week I was watching The Riddick and somewhere half way into the movie the dialogue and sounds were muffled like you cant here them loud and clear, the bass though wasn't effected. So far I see that if im in any mode such as digital, widescreen, true HD, ect. everything sounds muffled unless I switch to Multi CH mode. On Multi CH mode it all sounds normal like its the only mode not effected. I tried switching my bluray player to PCM but it does the same thing. Then I found out its doing the same thing when I play any Xbox One games. So this tells me its something to do with the receiver. Ive gone through the receivers settings and make sure that none of the dynamics are switched on, cinema eq, and everything else. Its all normal, the only thing on is Audyssey and that's it. I tried unplugging the receiver for a day but it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? im clueless eek.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #6846 of 10586 Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
...eek.gif...Wow! Sorry to read your posted story here. When you did the reset, did you unplug everything? Did the little guys get anywhere near the receiver?
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #6847 of 10586 Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

...eek.gif...Wow! Sorry to read your posted story here. When you did the reset, did you unplug everything? Did the little guys get anywhere near the receiver?

Neah they didn't touch it but they sure got into things lol. It still works normal but only on Multi CH mode. I think I may have activated some kind of mode from the controller by accident or something. Its probably something simple. I was just seeing if anyone might happen to know of an idea such as some receivers that activate night mode, ect. Ive been working so much I haven't really looked into it too much smile.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #6848 of 10586 Old 01-28-2014, 03:33 AM

Liked: 801
I sure hope it's just a simple, hit a button and it's fixed kind of inconvenience as opposed to a full blown AVR hospital visit.

Besides, we have a Super Bowl coming up this Sunday and busy people don't have time for unexpected interruptions. tongue.gif
post #6849 of 10586 Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Ive got a strange issue with my receiver that im trying to solve. So ive had my 4520CI for a while and have watched many movies on it. Last week I was watching The Riddick and somewhere half way into the movie the dialogue and sounds were muffled like you cant here them loud and clear, the bass though wasn't effected. So far I see that if im in any mode such as digital, widescreen, true HD, ect. everything sounds muffled unless I switch to Multi CH mode. On Multi CH mode it all sounds normal like its the only mode not effected. I tried switching my bluray player to PCM but it does the same thing. Then I found out its doing the same thing when I play any Xbox One games. So this tells me its something to do with the receiver. Ive gone through the receivers settings and make sure that none of the dynamics are switched on, cinema eq, and everything else. Its all normal, the only thing on is Audyssey and that's it. I tried unplugging the receiver for a day but it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? im clueless eek.gif

So then with Audyssey enabled, the issue presents ..... and with it disabled, it does not? If the "soft" reset proved no joy, then the full "hard" microprocessor reset would be the next step.
SanchoPanza likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6850 of 10586 Old 01-28-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had an issue on my 4520ci receiver where the speakers will randomly turn off while using any source device. I can hear the relay click like its actually turning the amplifiers off. Sometimes it turns just the mains off, but usually it turns them all off. Sometimes the speakers power back up on their own, but usually they do not. Cycling power on the receiver usually turns the speakers back on but sometimes that doesn't even work. Strangely enough giving the receiver a good whack usually fixes the issue. Obviously, I'd rather not do this. Any ideas?
post #6851 of 10586 Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Sounds like some hardware issue, the most benign explanation would be a loose connection or wire somewhere inside. The "whack it and it starts working" test supports the loose connection hypothesis. If you are comfortable poking around electronics you can pop the top and check for something obvious, otherwise you might need to send it in for repair for a permanent fix.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6852 of 10586 Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Netflix DD+ audio related issues -

For those of you experiencing distorted audio problems from a Netflix source passing DD+ due to Netflix having recently changed their DD+ encoder, D&M is expected to release a firmware update for the 4520CI on February 20.

The work around until then is to set the Netflix source to either PCM or STEREO and use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 audio.
geoffgoddard likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6853 of 10586 Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg661 View Post

I've had an issue on my 4520ci receiver where the speakers will randomly turn off while using any source device. I can hear the relay click like its actually turning the amplifiers off. Sometimes it turns just the mains off, but usually it turns them all off. Sometimes the speakers power back up on their own, but usually they do not. Cycling power on the receiver usually turns the speakers back on but sometimes that doesn't even work. Strangely enough giving the receiver a good whack usually fixes the issue. Obviously, I'd rather not do this. Any ideas?

Me too. Usually just Zone 2 but I've had main speakers turn off on me once.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #6854 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwwmm View Post

To save your settings you need to open a browser in a computer on your home LAN and then opening a page with the IP of the Denon. You must select "set up menu" >general>save and follow the instructions
By the way I have noticed that the 4520 it's rather "software unstable" when continuous connected to a LAN. It's better to have the 4520 "disconnected when in stand by" option engaged at the network menu. This way you loose the switch on function from the mobile app when in stand by but you maintain full app functionality when amp is powered up.

Hope this helps.

Does this work with a Mac or only Windows?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #6855 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

By the way I have noticed that the 4520 it's rather "software unstable" when continuous connected to a LAN. It's better to have the 4520 "disconnected when in stand by" option engaged at the network menu.

Are you sure this is not somehow connected with the router/switch you're using? I don't see many people having such problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Given the fact it's a network based way of saving the settings, it should not be of any consequence what OS you're doing it on - it should work the same way on MacOS, Windows, Linux, etc.
post #6856 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwygbg View Post

Are you sure this is not somehow connected with the router/switch you're using? I don't see many people having such problems.
I have noticed several people needs to perform a soft reset from time to time for different issues. Me too but I haven't needed to do another one from the time I switched off the "always on in stand by" option in the network menu. I 've had two different routers with the 4520 and with the same issues.
post #6857 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have noticed several people needs to perform a soft reset from time to time for different issues. Me too but I haven't needed to do another one from the time I switched off the "always on in stand by" option in the network menu. I 've had two different routers with the 4520 and with the same issues.

I think you need to look elsewhere for the root cause of your issues. I leave my setting as "Network Always On", and have never had any issues. Besides, if you are using the network hub to provide connectivity to other components in your equipment rack, if you have it set to "Off in Standby", these other devices lose network connectivity when you turn the 4520 off.
post #6858 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I think you need to look elsewhere for the root cause of your issues. I leave my setting as "Network Always On", and have never had any issues. Besides, if you are using the network hub to provide connectivity to other components in your equipment rack, if you have it set to "Off in Standby", these other devices lose network connectivity when you turn the 4520 off.
No. I haven't any other device plugged to the 4520's hub.
post #6859 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Given the fact it's a network based way of saving the settings, it should not be of any consequence what OS you're doing it on - it should work the same way on MacOS, Windows, Linux, etc.

While in principle it should work on other platforms, it usually doesn't. In most cases, the save and restore options on a D&M receiver's Web page are invisible unless you're running a recent version of Internet Explorer in compatibility mode.

Apparently D&M doesn't consider this to be a problem frown.gif

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #6860 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

While in principle it should work on other platforms, it usually doesn't. In most cases, the save and restore options on a D&M receiver's Web page are invisible unless you're running a recent version of Internet Explorer in compatibility mode.

mad.gif

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #6861 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

You mean Internet Destroyer? smile.gif ... Well that's stupid of them, if true. I thought it's something like the Backup settings function of a Linksys router, which has no problem being backed up under any OS.
post #6862 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean Internet Destroyer? smile.gif ... Well that's stupid of them, if true. I thought it's something like the Backup settings function of a Linksys router, which has no problem being backed up under any OS.

Why don't you just test it out rather than speculate?  Report your results, please.

post #6863 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. I haven't any other device plugged to the 4520's hub.

Well, then it doesn't make any difference what your setting is.  However, I stand by my original statement--leaving the 4520 in the "Network Always On" mode does not seem to cause problems.  YMMV.

post #6864 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Well, then it doesn't make any difference what your setting is.  However, I stand by my original statement--leaving the 4520 in the "Network Always On" mode does not seem to cause problems.  YMMV.
Unfortunately your statement it's not valid with my unit .

Thanks
post #6865 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Why don't you just test it out rather than speculate?  Report your results, please.

The only result I can report is that I successfully backed up the 4520's settings with Firefox 26 under Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64. I don't have MacOS or Linux on any device, so I can't confirm it works with those OSes. I wonder why the backup takes more than 10 minutes for the creation/transfer of a ~700KB config file...
post #6866 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only result I can report is that I successfully backed up the 4520's settings with Firefox 26 under Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64. I don't have MacOS or Linux on any device, so I can't confirm it works with those OSes. I wonder why the backup takes more than 10 minutes for the creation/transfer of a ~700KB config file...

Not sure, but that time is typical for a configuration backup. Working as designed...
post #6867 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Not sure, but that time is typical for a configuration backup. Working as designed...

As Mr. Hollywood from 2 Stupid Dogs would say: "Aww, isn't that cute? BUT IT'S WRONG!!!"... And I'm talking about the way the configuration backup system itself works, and not your post being wrong smile.gif. And I'll give an example again using a Linksys router, which has similar network backup system - my Linksys E3000 back up takes about 1-3 seconds for a 60KB config file to be created, this means that an adequate time for the AVR-4520 to backup its settings should be no more than 20 seconds maximum, 10 minutes is absolutely inadequate.

Also I have a question: I want to Bi-AMP my front speakers - JBL TL260. I have a 7.1 JBL system (2xTL260, 2xE50, 2xL830, 1xLC2, 1xL8400P). What is the correct way to do it? I've read the manual, but I'm still not sure which "Assign mode" I should choose, at which terminals I should connect the "high" frequency part of the TL260's, and at which terminal - the "low" frequency part. Also I'm not sure how to correctly set the Speaker distances, and the correct crossover frequencies. Would the Audyssey work with the setup I want to make? Please advise, because the User Manual is not clear enough on this and I'm unable to find the answer in this thread. Thank you.
post #6868 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't have a 4520, but wish I did...have some other models that work similarly though.

The reason it's so slow is there isn't a direct path between the network interface and the Denon configuration memory. Thus the config mem has to be "bit-banged" (indirectly) out to the network interface, also using a sub-optimum processor for the job. Don't know if you've ever done low-level programming, but this can be very s...l...o...w. Looking at the number of bytes that need to be saved, and your network speed, gives you a time that is understandable, but very...optimistic.
post #6869 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As Mr. Hollywood from 2 Stupid Dogs would say: "Aww, isn't that cute? BUT IT'S WRONG!!!"... And I'm talking about the way the configuration backup system itself works, and not your post being wrong smile.gif. And I'll give an example again using a Linksys router, which has similar network backup system - my Linksys E3000 back up takes about 1-3 seconds for a 60KB config file to be created, this means that an adequate time for the AVR-4520 to backup its settings should be no more than 20 seconds maximum, 10 minutes is absolutely inadequate.

Well, it is what it is. Being able to backup and restore configuration files is a tremendous advantage. Ask an Onkyo owner if they would be unhappy being able to save configurations if it took 10 minutes. If this were something you needed to do ten times a day, then I agree, ten minutes would be tedious. But you save a configuration file occasionally, so I'm just not understanding why you think it is absolutely inadequate.
post #6870 of 10586 Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Being able to reload configurations quickly would be very useful when one has to manage multiple Audyssey calibrations. E.g. to switch between the calibration for a front-projection screen lowered in front of the speakers (and TV), and a calibration with the screen up while watching TV.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page