The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 9142 Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I have had my 4520 for over a year now and not a moments worry from it. Runs cool too compared to the Onkyo 705 it is replacing. Awesome unit smile.gif....after a year I guess it is safe to say I got a good one, yes?smile.gif

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 9142 Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Well, I have had my 4520 for over a year now and not a moments worry from it. Runs cool too compared to the Onkyo 705 it is replacing. Awesome unit smile.gif....after a year I guess it is safe to say I got a good one, yes?smile.gif

Well, my 4520 just went bad and I was a few days short of the 1-year mark. Don't count your blessing too soon. FWIW, I also noticed that the 4520 runs cooler than my Onkyo (I replaced a 905).
post #7023 of 9142 Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells View Post

Well, my 4520 just went bad and I was a few days short of the 1-year mark. Don't count your blessing too soon. FWIW, I also noticed that the 4520 runs cooler than my Onkyo (I replaced a 905).

well that sucks. I hope they fix or replace it without a hassle.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #7024 of 9142 Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You'll save shipping costs but not likely much faster repair. One consolation though is that turnaround time at PanurgyOEM is generally quicker than a local authorized repair facility, most likely no more than a week (excluding return shipping time) as parts are much easier to access.

Thanks. I decided to ship it into PanurgyOEM. If I knew it the repair may have been that quick, I might not have spent last night removing my Onkyo 905 from my bar room and into my theater. Oh well, at least I have some back-up just in case a need to watch a movie in the theater. biggrin.gif
post #7025 of 9142 Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I really hope my 4520 never fails. My local 'Denon Authorized' repair center took over 2 months to 'fix' my friends Denon and it had developed a constant buzz in all left channels afterwards and the repair center was unwilling to correct it or offer a refund.

I use 4 140mm cooling fans in my equipment rack and a SurgeX power protection unit to try and ensure maximum life.
post #7026 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 03:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells View Post

Thanks. I decided to ship it into PanurgyOEM. If I knew it the repair may have been that quick, I might not have spent last night removing my Onkyo 905 from my bar room and into my theater. Oh well, at least I have some back-up just in case a need to watch a movie in the theater. biggrin.gif

Although 1-2 weeks is likely average it will of course depend on the specific issue. I have heard of folks from the west coast shipping to PanurgyOEM and getting the unit returned within 2-3 weeks including shipping time.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7027 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I remember when Japan was said to make cheap goods. Then Sony changed all this and now for the most part Sony does make poor quality audio components IMHO.
post #7028 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I remember when Japan was said to make cheap goods. Then Sony changed all this and now for the most part Sony does make poor quality audio components IMHO.

Holy Moses, where have you been?

post #7029 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Quote:

Holy Moses, where have you been?

Jerry,
I'm having problems understanding what you're trying to say.

I certainly have to agree with Theresa. frown.gif Sony's financial problems seem to have caused them to cut more and more corners in more and more of their offerings over the past few years. This is, of course, a downward spiral: as they get a reputation for producing poorer equipment, their sales fall off even more, etc.

Selden
post #7030 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Jerry,
I'm having problems understanding what you're trying to say.

I certainly have to agree with Theresa. frown.gif Sony's financial problems seem to have caused them to cut more and more corners in more and more of their offerings over the past few years. This is, of course, a downward spiral: as they get a reputation for producing poorer equipment, their sales fall off even more, etc.

You misunderstood my comment. Theresa used to be a frequent contributor here, but she has been absent for quite some time. My comment was in no way critical of her opinion, and I apologize if anyone took it that way.
post #7031 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't take it as critical. Hopefully I'm back for a while. Sony was a fine brand for many years, then as was said they entered a downward spiral. They still make some gooid uber expensive gear such as their $30,000 plus speakers.
post #7032 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Depends on what you mean. I've stayed away from AVS because of the bickering and because I've been battling depression. If you mean I don't know much about current Sony products, like I said I've been out of the web's audio loop.
post #7033 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:

Depends on what you mean. I've stayed away from AVS because of the bickering and because I've been battling depression. If you mean I don't know much about current Sony products, like I said I've been out of the web's audio loop.

Hey Theresa!!  How good it is to see you back. Sorry to hear about your troubles - I hope they are receding for you. Hope to see you in the various threads I follow these days.  Very best wishes, 

Keith

post #7034 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Prozac baby!

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

post #7035 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Prozac baby!

What was the point of your post? She is dealing with personal issues and you should welcome her back and not mock her. If I took this the wrong way I am sorry but I feel that I didn't. Lets not troll please.
kbarnes701 likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #7036 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Prozac is awesome. I never meant that in a bad way. A doctor told a friend of mine that they should put it in the water.

Welcome back Theresa. I didn't know you before but judging from the responses, you are missed.

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

post #7037 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys, and gals.

I'm looking for a suggestion. I love the 4520. I really cranks out the sound. 11.2 movies are great. However, when the wife is gone, sometimes i'm wanting to really crank it up. Just seems like if I could just turn down the midrange just a bit. I'm one of those that always find that most people have way too much midrange. I know that different speakers could help. But I'm not going to get rid nor replace my Klipsch RF-82 II's anytime soon. If ever. My only complaint about them is the rear firing ports. Which might be part of my issue.

I also know that the 4520 avr does let me adjust each speaker with a internal equalizer. But seems I that punch from the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 changes for the bad. I'm still not sure about all this high tech stuff. Maybe there's a way to use both at the same time.

Any how, if any one has any tips or suggestions. Please let me know.

I'll say, this last weekend. I did finally use the network save and restore feature. That's really nice.

Oh ya. Is there a way to reset just the network connection, or the built in Ethernet card. I seemed to have lost something this last weekend, and had to reset the microprosesor. Thankfully the network restore saved me from having to re-run Audyssey again.

Thanks
post #7038 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Harry what is your acoustics status?
Bare walls or treatments??

Via my iPhone 5s & Tapatalk, LLAP
post #7039 of 9142 Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not completely. Big rugs wall art, big sofas. Window treatment. Could it be better? Oh hell yes. But, its not bouncy at all. The sound seems to stay where it should. No echo's and such....

like I said. I'd just like to take out the mids a bit out of the sounds without having to use the eq....If that makes any sense.
post #7040 of 9142 Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Keith. Didn't get back to you in response to your private message because I was so low last summer. Lots of stuff happening it seems with much new gear. Frankly I'm using what I have but will be getting an audio upgrade for my laptop before summer as my bedroom is the only room with a/c. Love my Denon. Also looking forward to see if Emotiva ever delivers their new pre-pro and if it measures up to the hype.
post #7041 of 9142 Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
I'm looking for a suggestion. I love the 4520. I really cranks out the sound. 11.2 movies are great. However, when the wife is gone, sometimes i'm wanting to really crank it up. Just seems like if I could just turn down the midrange just a bit. I'm one of those that always find that most people have way too much midrange. I know that different speakers could help. But I'm not going to get rid nor replace my Klipsch RF-82 II's anytime soon. If ever. My only complaint about them is the rear firing ports. Which might be part of my issue.

I also know that the 4520 avr does let me adjust each speaker with a internal equalizer. But seems I that punch from the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 changes for the bad. I'm still not sure about all this high tech stuff. Maybe there's a way to use both at the same time...

You cannot use the manual GEQ and Audyssey at the same time.  Besides, the GEQ is primitive & basically useless.  The mids will be prominent when at lower listening levels, and that's when DynEQ can really help bring up the bass and even a bit of treble. For greatest effect use RLO=0.  

But if you are really cranked, up near reference level (MV=0) there should be no lack of bass or highs.  I don't know what's up with your speakers or your room but to get less mids try boosting the lows and highs instead. You certainly can use the tone controls to boost treble and bass along with Audyssey, but not at the same time as DynEQ.  Other ways to boost: for lows, just trim up the sub ch.  For highs, use Audyssey Flat.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #7042 of 9142 Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you Keith. Didn't get back to you in response to your private message because I was so low last summer. 

No problem, Theresa. I fully understand. I'm just pleased that you are feeling better.

Quote:

Lots of stuff happening it seems with much new gear. Frankly I'm using what I have but will be getting an audio upgrade for my laptop before summer as my bedroom is the only room with a/c. Love my Denon. Also looking forward to see if Emotiva ever delivers their new pre-pro and if it measures up to the hype.

Well the new Emo processor was promised for 15th February, but the date was pushed back because Emo said that they wanted to introduce it with HDMI 2.0 so the release would be March. But now they have backtracked and say it will be a 1.4b unit anyway, but apparently it is still delayed until March (or April depending on which part of their website you believe).  Plus ça change...

I think that hanging on to what we have is a good idea right now. There is 4k, HDMI 2.0 and the possibility of Atmos or Auro all on the not so distant horizon and all of which will require hardware support in the processor. I won't be changing my 5509 for the next couple of years all being well.

post #7043 of 9142 Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think I'm going to pull the plug and buy the 4520, I like Denon and like all the features it has and room for future growth. Does anyone know if buying on Ebay is a good idea, its about $1000 dollars off of retail. $1439.00 to be exact. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Life is what you make it.......
post #7044 of 9142 Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
If you buy off eBay, you aren't going to get the 3-year warranty. No authorized dealer would be selling it that cheaply.

Street price (if you pick up the phone and call) is consideraby less than msrp from authorized dealers. I don't know what exact pricing is these days, but let's say you can get it for $2k from an authorized dealer with 3-year warranty. Is the security of that warranty and potentially better customer service and return policy worth the extra $600 to you? That's for you to decide.

Before you make any decision, pick up the phone and give JDSmoothie a call (he is now a sales rep for AVScience, the host of this forum and an authorized dealer). Find out what the real street price is for an authorized dealer and then make up your mind.
Quote:
JD – AV Science Sales 585-645-1006 - "call" for a price quote
Mon – Fri 9am – 9pm EST (weekends just leave a message)
jd@avscience.com

Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, KEF, Def Tech, etc.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7045 of 9142 Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I got mine from AV Science. I had purchased a 4311ci a month previously for a great price and it wouldn't pass 60p. I returned it and they gave me full credit towards the 4520ci at a great price. Great service.
post #7046 of 9142 Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Well the new Emo processor was promised for 15th February, but the date was pushed back because Emo said that they wanted to introduce it with HDMI 2.0 so the release would be March. But now they have backtracked and say it will be a 1.4b unit anyway, but apparently it is still delayed until March (or April depending on which part of their website you believe).  Plus ça change...

I think that hanging on to what we have is a good idea right now. There is 4k, HDMI 2.0 and the possibility of Atmos or Auro all on the not so distant horizon and all of which will require hardware support in the processor. I won't be changing my 5509 for the next couple of years all being well.

Keith, for those of us contemplating purchasing a 4520 now, what does your crystal ball say regarding Denon's upcoming models?  Any projected timeframe for the HDMI 2.0 and Atmos/Auro features or other goodies?

. . . plus c'est la meme chose!

post #7047 of 9142 Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Quote:

Keith, for those of us contemplating purchasing a 4520 now, what does your crystal ball say regarding Denon's upcoming models?  Any projected timeframe for the HDMI 2.0 and Atmos/Auro features or other goodies?

. . . plus c'est la meme chose!

I honestly have no idea. HDMI 2.0 seems still uncertain and one reads that chips are not even available to manufacturers yet. Atmos and Auro could be anything up to two years away, or even longer. I doubt they will be with us any sooner than the next two years.  TBH, if you have a pressing need for a new unit, I'd buy it now. The 4520 is a great unit and is sure to please. I think you have to ask yourself if you really need the new features that are on their way - will you be adding another half dozen speakers to your setup, for example, to take full advantage of Atmos or Auro?

OTOH, if, like me, you have a unit at the moment that satisfies all your requirements, then I'd hang on to it. That is what I have decided to do with my Onkyo 5509. All processor purchases are now on hold here until we can see how the dust settles. So, assuming my 5509 continues to be reliable and works as advertised, it will be in my rack for the next two years at least.

post #7048 of 9142 Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I honestly have no idea. HDMI 2.0 seems still uncertain and one reads that chips are not even available to manufacturers yet. Atmos and Auro could be anything up to two years away, or even longer. I doubt they will be with us any sooner than the next two years.  TBH, if you have a pressing need for a new unit, I'd buy it now. The 4520 is a great unit and is sure to please. I think you have to ask yourself if you really need the new features that are on their way - will you be adding another half dozen speakers to your setup, for example, to take full advantage of Atmos or Auro?

OTOH, if, like me, you have a unit at the moment that satisfies all your requirements, then I'd hang on to it. That is what I have decided to do with my Onkyo 5509. All processor purchases are now on hold here until we can see how the dust settles. So, assuming my 5509 continues to be reliable and works as advertised, it will be in my rack for the next two years at least.

I love, love, love my less-than-3-year-old 3311, which has been a solidly reliable performer for me.  But I am considering the 4520 for the ability to upgrade to 11.1 (vs. my current 7.1), Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (vs. XT), and NEO:X, while retaining the features of the 3311 that are important to me such as HD radio, networking, pre-outs, phono and other legacy inputs, et al.

I haven't yet installed my SB speakers so I'm not rushed, but I would like to plan for the AVR upgrade sometime this year.  My hope is that by April Denon will either have released or will announce the features of their new high-end models.  If not, then the 4520 is probably going to be my best option.

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

post #7049 of 9142 Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Why not stick with the 4311 and setup the back speakers (if I understand correctly) and see if it meets your needs before going to 11.1? Is there any material available for 11.1 yet? Just asking, no offence meant.
post #7050 of 9142 Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 449
3 known 11.1, included in the list found here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159814 cool.gif

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page