The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 9055 Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Add me to the list.  Should be getting mine next week and then waiting for the Philharmonic front soundstage and a Salk Rythmik 12" sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 9055 Old 03-08-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

I installed two dedicated 20 amp circuits to my system. It also helps eliminate noise from lighting dimmers, flourescent ballasts and switches since nothing else is on the circuit.
Smart move I'M going to change my electricial outlets to furatechs.
post #7293 of 9055 Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 72

I don't know if I go that far with $100+ receptacles. Just use a good commercial/industrial 20A unit for like 10 bucks or less. 

I used regular modern style receptacles. The plug has a real nice tight fit.

SanchoPanza likes this.

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

post #7294 of 9055 Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Wonderful.. Sent my 4520 out for repair no Zone 2. Was intermittent. Then Zone 2 quit entirely

They  sent it back in just a few days. NO REPAIR TESTED OK.

I now have an Integra 7.9 AVR I picked up used to have while this one was away for service. Zone 2 on it works flawlessly. 

Using all the same HDMI cables, speaker plugs and what not that I used on the 4520.

Now I have to see if it's something with my connections particular to the 4520. I went through all that and could not find the problem SO if it still is an issue there are going to be some phone calls made.

BTW have't hooked it up yet as I'm busy today. No time . Later today.

See My Setup Here

post #7295 of 9055 Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Got the 4250 set up again. Took a while but was able to get Zone 2 working. It would not come on after the initial set up but after switching sources it began working.

I'll be running it through some testing to make sure it continues to behave properly over the next few days.

See My Setup Here

post #7296 of 9055 Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 62

11.1, "hear" we come!

Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I love, love, love my less-than-3-year-old 3311, which has been a solidly reliable performer for me.  But I am considering the 4520 for the ability to upgrade to 11.1 (vs. my current 7.1), Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (vs. XT), and NEO:X, while retaining the features of the 3311 that are important to me such as HD radio, networking, pre-outs, phono and other legacy inputs, et al.

I haven't yet installed my SB speakers so I'm not rushed, but I would like to plan for the AVR upgrade sometime this year.  My hope is that by April Denon will either have released or will announce the features of their new high-end models.  If not, then the 4520 is probably going to be my best option.

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

On Friday I finally got around to installing my new in-ceiling Polk Audio 80F/X-RT surrounds.  I used the wires I had already run for the satellites I was previously using as less-than-ideally-situated surrounds high up on the back wall, then ran new wires to the rear wall terminating at both ends of the mantelpiece just behind the main listening position, where I reused the satellites as surround backs. While I was at it, I also ran another set of wires to enable me to wall-mount my satellite front heights that were previously sitting on top of my wall unit.

Using my current AVR-3311CI's MultEQ XT, all 12 speakers were calibrated at a channel level between -4.0 and -0.5. I was somewhat surprised that the Denon identified not just my floorstanding mains and front wides, but also the 80F/X-RT's as “large.” Here's where I currently have the crossovers set (all speakers are Polk Audio):

Front (Monitor 75t): 80 Hz

Center (TL2C): 90 Hz

Surround (80F/X-RT): 80 Hz

Front Height (TL2): 110 Hz

Front Wide (55t): 80 Hz

Surround back (TL2): 120 Hz

(N.B.: I know, I know, these speakers may be far from audiophile quality, but then so are my (and my wife's) 62-year-old ears. For what it's worth, we are VERY impressed with their performance (the speakers, not our age-worn ears); and since this is a living room and not a dedicated HT, their appearance, small footprint and bang-for-the-buck factor were prime considerations for us.)

It's only been a couple of days, but I've tried out various sources, including some demo material in Dolby True HD and dts-HD MA, toggling between the surround formats; I'm already appreciating what each set of additional surround speakers (FH/FW/SB) adds to the mix, and I'm eager to have the capacity to engage them all simultaneously. Now that I've listened to all three sets in my home environment I will dismiss any counsel that it's not worthwhile going beyond 5.1.

The only question is whether I jump on the discounted prices currently available on the 4520 or wait for whatever successor model Denon might announce for this year's line-up. I'm hoping Denon will present me with two equally enticing options—a new, jazzed-up flagship model or the more affordable and track-tested 4520.

post #7297 of 9055 Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 14
Denon 4520CI On Sale this week at Best Buy for $1499.99!! In store only.

(Every receiver in Magnolia Home Theater is on sale actually, incuding the X4000 for $999.99.)
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #7298 of 9055 Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Got the 4250 set up again. Took a while but was able to get Zone 2 working. It would not come on after the initial set up but after switching sources it began working.

I'll be running it through some testing to make sure it continues to behave properly over the next few days.

Well even though they said it checked out and they only cleaned it.. They did fix it. Zone 2 working as advertised.

See My Setup Here

post #7299 of 9055 Old 03-09-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've finally much like AustinJerry and a couple of others, finished my evaluation of Anthem's MRX series as a potential replacement to handle pre/pro duties in my system.

After swapping out my existing Revel B15 sub to Paradigm Sub 1 last week, I sat down Fri afternoon and did a final evaluation. Initially I had tested the Sub 1 with PBK before ARC was run. However, this seemed to result in too much EQ'ing(effectively doubling up) and loss of performance as a result. So after rerunning ARC this final time I proceeded to do some listening. But after really only a few mins I realised bass quality still was simply just not up to scratch and seriously lacking depth. The Sub 1 was dialed into volume level that didn't blow out the ARC and I did a rough double check with Audio Tools prior to calibration. So it was at that point I decided then and there to take out the 510 and reinstall the 4520. In rerunning Audyssey, I was also able to confirm the correct sub level using it's built in measurement feature - identical to what it was for ARC and achieving a near dead-on 75dB. The results sonically, post calibration spoke for themselves. The sound was perfectly balanced and a def testament to the way a high quality sub like the Sub 1 should integrate into a system. Not once during the entire weekend was I unhappy with the way it sounded with any source from HTPC to Satellite TV. Even watching a game of football sounded better in using Dolby PLIIx than it did doing the same with the 510. Listening to some HD Flac files of the latest Beck and Sting Albums also indicated a very well balanced presentation in Stereo 2.1, again more so than the 510. Alas I don't believe the 510 will be going back into my system. ARC was fun to play with, but in the end unfortunately proving both sonically and functionally unrewarding.

post #7300 of 9055 Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I've finally much like AustinJerry and a couple of others, finished my evaluation of Anthem's MRX series as a potential replacement to handle pre/pro duties in my system.

I am pleased that you have found a result that is satisfying to you, and that I am not alone in my assessment that XT32 does a better job with bass response. Part of the fun of our hobby is experimenting with new things, even though we may return to what we know best.
OzHDHT and tkroeker like this.
post #7301 of 9055 Old 03-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a reason why there is a volume limit on the AirPlay input? I can only get it to go to -6dB. If I go to the input settings I can adjust the volume to increase by +12, but this still doesn't do enough. All the other inputs do not have a limit.
post #7302 of 9055 Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Not sure what the reason is but it's been widely reported. Probably something to do with the volume control being "linked" to the iTunes source.

Is that really not loud enough for you? eek.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7303 of 9055 Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks! Yes, it is not loud enough sometimes, even with my pair of Klipsch CF4's. I have also noticed that I have to turn up the volume more on this receiver than my AVR-3808CI. I am watching movies on this at -20dB and on my 3808 I'd be at -30dB to get the same volume output.
post #7304 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I see a lot of people complaining that they "have to turn the volume up to -20 to play loud." What does it matter? Unless you run out of volume adjustment before it gets loud enough for you what does it matter what the number is on the dial? I stay between -20 and -10 on my Yamaha for every source and listening situation. My point is, who cares what number you have to use as long as it gets loud enough.smile.gif

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #7305 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Remember that after calibration, 80 (or 0 on the relative scale) is movie reference sound level, which usually is much too loud in a home environment. Most people tend to listen to movies with the volume control between 60 and 70 (-20 to -10) and to CDs between 50 and 60 (-30 to -20). However, rooms which have been properly treated (i.e. have appropriate absorber panels installed) make it possible to listen comfortably at higher sound levels.

Many people are used to using receivers which don't have calibration features. Those older designs tend to have linear volume controls which set the output power as a fraction of the receiver's available power. The volume controls on calibrated receivers don't work that way. Instead, they have logarithmic volume controls which specify the desired sound level in dB at the primary listening position.

Selden
post #7306 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

After months of contemplating whether to upgrade my receiver or speakers first, I have decided on the receiver. Now I just need to know if it is worth waiting on the upcoming replacement for the 4520 or not. I don't care about hdmi 2.0 since I recently bought a new tv and won't replace it until it breaks. Also, I should be able to get a great deal on the 4520 once the new model comes out.

post #7307 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
anyone compare the (sound) between the x4000 and the 4520CI .... i'm torn over here. have no interest in zones just sound(5.2)....

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #7308 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

anyone compare the (sound) between the x4000 and the 4520CI .... i'm torn over here. have no interest in zones just sound(5.2)....
I take 4520ci over x-4000 anyday period.
post #7309 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

I take 4520ci over x-4000 anyday period.

Any particular reason?

post #7310 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99 View Post

Any particular reason?
Power plus you can do more with it.
post #7311 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Power plus you can do more with it.

+1. I like power !! And the flexibility in the 4520 !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #7312 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Liked: 10

Hey folks…..relatively new on AVS…first time post on the 4520CI thread. Wanted to thank all the regulars for spending the time to put their thoughts/experiences out here for others to benefit from – as I have mentioned before, if it wasn’t for y’all, I’d be lost.

Recently received my 4520CI – cheaped out and got a refurb. Obviously there is risk associated with the refurb route, and I can’t fully advise anyone to take this route, but it was the only way I could justify making this purchase from a financial perspective. Teetered between this unit and the X4000…..talked with JDSmoothie (great resource) and almost bought the X4000 from him (he has a fab deal on the X4000, BTW), but changed my mind at the last minute and got the 4520 refurb from elsewhere dealer. With a refurb you never know…..paid the extra for the 3 year warranty, and have basically been running it 12 hours a day for the last 4 days, trying to shake out any gremlins. I bought this unit mainly for the XT32 (upgrading from the 4308CI with XT). Thus far, XT32 is seems to be a VAST improvement over XT, as has been reported here – I have room mode issues in the 90-125 Hz range and they appear to have been acceptably tamed – 2 opposable thumbs up for XT32!! High end seems pleasingly smoother too – but maybe I’m just imagining that…or not. Also impressed with Dynamic EQ – to be honest, I never would have guessed it would be useful – who would have thought?

I apologize to JDSmoothie for taking the route I did, but I am sure he will understand – he seems to be a very informed, reasonable, and valuable asset on this forum – he may push the Denon line, but I believe he has every reason to do so – from a price/performance/sound standpoint, I don’t think you can’t beat them.

Upgraded firmware yesterday and everything seems peachy – not sure if this was needed for the recent DD+/Netflix streaming issue, as I didn’t try it until after the FW update, but I can confirm DD+ works fabulously streaming 5.1 on Netflix.

Obviously one can’t base a review on 4 days of play, but it looks promising – the 4520CI seems to be solid. The remote and the on screen GUI are big improvements over the 4308, which had 2 remotes, and a very non-intuitive nested GUI menu Hellscape – apparently Denon has upped their game.

I have to say the Spotify functionality, while usable, is weak compared to the full interface available on the mobile app or the full web version. Didn’t buy the 4520 for Spotify, was pleasantly surprised when I saw it was on the 4520, used it, was somewhat disappointed, then moved on (I had been and shall continue to use the USB output of a spare PC to the OPPO USB DAC, and the analog 2 channel outputs of the OPPO for this). Sound-wise, it’s a toss up – functionality-wise, there’s no comparison.

Curious about a couple things from current users:

1)      1) How many 4520 owners use Dynamic EQ? Movies or music or both? Any guidance/thoughts on this? I’m typically in the -20 to -30dB realm, and I am usually playing music in surround (multich stereo/NEO:X for stereo sources or multichannel SACD/DVDA). For music at not insane volumes, I seem to like it so far. When venturing into the -5 to -10 dB world, mainly for movies, I don’t find it that helpful. I believe that is probably the how it is supposed to work. The settings in the manual – I believe they are 0, 5, 10 and 15dB, depending upon compression of the source material, seem to be quite useful – the 15dB setting for your typical “pop music” works relatively well. Anyway, these are just first impressions…….curious as to what everyone else here does.

2)      2) Powering the unit off – coming from the 4308 world, you hit the power button on the remote, and the unit goes into stand-by, regardless of what zones were on. I use the pre-outs of zone 3 for my kitchen area (JBL L7’s and an old Sansui 2 ch amp)…..I had always left this zone on with the 4308 – now it appears I have to turn all zones off individually to get the 4520 into stand-by (unless I get a universal remote that can turn all zones off at once)…..am I interpreting this correctly? Is this by design? It seems non-intuitive to me…..or maybe I just need to change the way I think.

Sorry for rambling…..and thanks for listening……so far, loving the 4520!!!!

post #7313 of 9055 Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Is there a big improvement in sound using the Denon Link? Is it worth $1000?

post #7314 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Is there a big improvement in sound using the Denon Link? Is it worth $1000?

IME no, it's not what I'd describe as a "big improvement" in SQ.  I'm using "big" as in a significant speaker upgrade or, say, going from MultEQ or MultEQXT to XT32.  

I hear a small but clear improvement in "audiophile"-level SQ (clarity, ambiance, soundstage) with good speakers and good quality source material when critically listening using DL. But very few folks use DL, mostly because resultant differences are not night-and-day AND because it's a proprietary Denon jitter-reduction system, requiring both a higher-level Denon AVP and a higher end pricey Denon player. I'm not sure why it should cost you $1K over a different player but if one were deciding where to best spend that kind of $ I'd first look to optimize the weaker points of the system.  For ex, better speakers or two good subs or acoustic treatments.   

Of course now there's the issue of the new DenonLinkHD (coax cable) NOT being backwards compatible to the old DenonLink3 or 4 (CAT5 cable).  For the old DL system one had the easy option to purchase a used high-end Denon player quite reasonably, but it may be a challenge finding a used or discounted player DBT 3313, the only DLHD player. There's a few folks on the dedicated 3313 thread who are using DenonLinkHD so you could ask there as well.   Also check if there's a 4520/3313 "bundle" deal available-check with jdsmoothie

JD – www.avscience.com  585-645-1006 - "call" for our prices

Mon – Fri 9am – 9pm EST (weekends too; leave message)

jd@avscience.com   

Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, KEF, Def Tech, etc

My experience was an outcome of my objective of being able to play all HiRes disc media like DVDA and SACD and so needed a "universal" player for my Denon AVR A100/4311.  I chose the matching A100 player I found used at about 1/2 off (with its great 5 yr OEM warranty). That cost me about $500 more than the competition (back then the Oppo 83 or 93, currently the 103, all about $500). That was worth it to me. For more on my SQ comparisons see this thread: 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1349373/does-denon-link-really-matter#post_20730707

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #7315 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is it possible to bi-amp the fronts using an external amplifier?
I know it is possible using the internal amps as we have the setting in manual set up. Does that 7.1 channel bi-amp setting work if I use the pre-outs to an external amp? Like FL and FH pre-outs goes to the low and highs of speaker.
post #7316 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
^^
Not recommended to connect the speaker posts and pre-outs to the same speakers, no. The "Bi-amp" setting only applies to the on board amps.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7317 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Not recommended to connect the speaker posts and pre-outs to the same speakers, no. The "Bi-amp" setting only applies to the on board amps.

I will be using the external amp output to connect to the speaker posts.
So how does one biamp the fronts using an external amp?
post #7318 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Mine is in a box in my living room ready to go in.  I'm excited.

post #7319 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

I will be using the external amp output to connect to the speaker posts.
So how does one biamp the fronts using an external amp?

For it to make any difference, you would split the speaker's pre-out to each of two separate active crossover switches each of which in turn would be connected to two separate amps each of which would then be connected to one set of speaker posts on the speaker.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7320 of 9055 Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Just not worth it for the negligible benefit IMHO.

See My Setup Here

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page