The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't do any home automation myself, but anyone doing so with Crestron might be interested in this bit of news:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/crestron-home-automation-integration-now-available-select-denon-and-marantz-receivers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is good news indeed for Creston users. Now if URC would just get on the ball and add the 4520CI codes to their database... LOL
post #7473 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post

That is good news indeed for Creston users. Now if URC would just get on the ball and add the 4520CI codes to their database... LOL

I know, right? It's listed as one of the generic numbered items in the list, but it's annoying trying to figure out which one goes with which. At least there are the discrete commands! (and close enough to the 4311.)

Thanks,
Hansang
post #7474 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I owned the 4520 around two weeks ago and i found the 4520 seem no source signal pass to the TV, it need press the remote to other channel (e.g DVD/BLU-RAY) and return back to resume the signal.

Anyone can advise on this issue ?

Cheers,
marcobb
post #7475 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
marcobb -- this sounds like an HDMI handshake problem where your receiver and display are having trouble syncing properly. As a first troubleshooting step I would turn off ALL variations of HDMI-CEC (on Denon it's called HDMI Control, on the TV it will be branded like Anynet+ for Samsung, BraviaSync for Sony, VieraSync for Panasonic, etc). Disable it on the receiver, the display, and also any sources (Blu-ray player, PS3, etc). Then do a "soft reset" where you power everything down, unplug the receiver, unplug all HDMI cables for a few minutes, then reconnect and boot back up.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7476 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Liked: 16
So I tried entering my Spotify account info and it won't work, is it because I'm using the "free" version. Is this right or do I need to do something else?

Another question for you all, is when I lets say watch a movie on my Oppo 103 that s currently set to bitstream. Then lets say I shut off the system, TV, Oppo and Denon, then I come back the following day and play audio from a usb drive I have on the Oppo, the Denon display will read Stereo and I won't get any sound unless I restart the Denon then sound automatically starts playing. Not sure if its HDMI control causing this. I'm going to try a few other test later.

Life is what you make it.......
post #7477 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72

Free version does not work You need the premium version.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #7478 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 16
Thanks, thats crap. I guess I can just use airplay through my iphone.

Life is what you make it.......
post #7479 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

marcobb -- this sounds like an HDMI handshake problem where your receiver and display are having trouble syncing properly. As a first troubleshooting step I would turn off ALL variations of HDMI-CEC (on Denon it's called HDMI Control, on the TV it will be branded like Anynet+ for Samsung, BraviaSync for Sony, VieraSync for Panasonic, etc). Disable it on the receiver, the display, and also any sources (Blu-ray player, PS3, etc). Then do a "soft reset" where you power everything down, unplug the receiver, unplug all HDMI cables for a few minutes, then reconnect and boot back up.

Hi Batpig,

Thanks for your advise.

Can i unplug the HDMI on the source devices ?

Cheers,
marcobb
post #7480 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sure. Unplug everything to "soft reset" the HDMI handshake after you change the HDMI-CEC settings, sometimes these changes don't take immediately and unplugging everything will force the handshake to renegotiate across all devices.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7481 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

I don't do any home automation myself, but anyone doing so with Crestron might be interested in this bit of news:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/crestron-home-automation-integration-now-available-select-denon-and-marantz-receivers

This feature was added with the 2/19 firmware update as noted in post #4.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7482 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post

So I tried entering my Spotify account info and it won't work, is it because I'm using the "free" version. Is this right or do I need to do something else?

Another question for you all, is when I lets say watch a movie on my Oppo 103 that s currently set to bitstream. Then lets say I shut off the system, TV, Oppo and Denon, then I come back the following day and play audio from a usb drive I have on the Oppo, the Denon display will read Stereo and I won't get any sound unless I restart the Denon then sound automatically starts playing. Not sure if its HDMI control causing this. I'm going to try a few other test later.

1. IIRC, Spotify will provide a temporary free trial, otherwise beyond that, as noted you will need a paid account.
2. The Oppo is playing a stereo signal, so the AVR would display the STEREO surround mode unless you choose another surround mode, although not sure why there would be no audio. Try a soft reset (uplug AVR and Oppo for 10 minutes).

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #7483 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Wow, do I miss MOG!
post #7484 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Wow, do I miss MOG!

Where is that coming from?

post #7485 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Depends on whether you're taking the bus or the train. smile.gif

"JD" –

post #7486 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Where is that coming from?
I was thinking far out in left field ! wink.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #7487 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Hey guys,

Pretty new to these forums, been a long time lurker. Finally got my first home theater all set up yesterday. It has been 2 years in the works and I am super excited for it to finally be here. I would like to thank you all for the valuable information and knowledge I gathered from the Denon threads. In the end, I ended up with this AVR and I can't wait to start using it.
post #7488 of 9839 Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy_jonno View Post

Hey guys,

Pretty new to these forums, been a long time lurker. Finally got my first home theater all set up yesterday. It has been 2 years in the works and I am super excited for it to finally be here. I would like to thank you all for the valuable information and knowledge I gathered from the Denon threads. In the end, I ended up with this AVR and I can't wait to start using it.

Congrats! And enjoy it!

Thanks,
Hansang
post #7489 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ok so Jerry, Keith, etc I'm back. Finally found half an hour to install REW into my HTPC and set up with UMIK-1. So I didn't have time to go pouring over FAQ's and HOW TOs to work out if I'm doing the right measurements here. But I managed to crank out this SPL graph. I'm sure no doubt with my lack of know of REW and its 50 million features I've prob done it wrong but I simply have no more time tonight to mess around I've got a friend showing up in like 15.

this is set to full range in REW EQ prefs Denon in Stereo mode, no Audyssey

post #7490 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:

Sure. Unplug everything to "soft reset" the HDMI handshake after you change the HDMI-CEC settings, sometimes these changes don't take immediately and unplugging everything will force the handshake to renegotiate across all devices.

Hi batpig,

I had follow your instruction but still cannot fix it, any other suggestion ?

Cheers,
marcobb
post #7491 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try powering on each device in a specific order ... generally TV first, wait a few seconds, AVR next, wait a few seconds, and then finally the source device. If this does not resolve the issue, then a full microprocessor reset (p. 201 OM) would be the next step.

"JD" –

post #7492 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Ok so Jerry, Keith, etc I'm back. Finally found half an hour to install REW into my HTPC and set up with UMIK-1. So I didn't have time to go pouring over FAQ's and HOW TOs to work out if I'm doing the right measurements here. But I managed to crank out this SPL graph. I'm sure no doubt with my lack of know of REW and its 50 million features I've prob done it wrong but I simply have no more time tonight to mess around I've got a friend showing up in like 15.

Looks like you made good progress in getting REW working, Oz. I recommend you take this discussion over to the REW thread here, where you will find all sorts of experts to help you analyze, and hopefully fix, any issues.

Based on the single measurement you have provided, it should be obvious that more understanding is needed for the significant dip around 40Hz, as well as a better look at the 100-300Hz range, which could be impacting your crossover settings.

post #7493 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 AM

Hi Folks,

What is the function of the Video Conversion ?

What setting should i use when all of my devices are 1080P HDMI ?

Cheers,
marcobb
post #7494 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobb View Post

Hi Folks,

What is the function of the Video Conversion ?

What setting should i use when all of my devices are 1080P HDMI ?

Cheers,
marcobb

There are two settings that do completely different things, Video Convert, and IP Scaler. The Video Convert setting, when turned on, allows the AVR to superimpose text on the display screen, such as the volume slider, status messages, etc. Normally, you would want this setting turned on.

The IP Scaler converts incoming video signals to a resolution that is negotiated between the AVR and the display, based on EDID information shared during the HDMI handshake. For example, if your cable box outputs a standard def signal, and the AVR IP Scaler is set to 1080p, than the signal gets up-converted to the higher resolution. If the input signal is already 1080p, than no up-conversion is required, and the setting of the IP Scaler doesn't affect the signal.

Even if you don't up-convert signals in the AVR, they will be up-converted by the TV display, so it becomes a question of which device does a better job of converting the signal. With today's electronics, it will likely be difficult to see any difference.

post #7495 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The convert setting also allows conversion of analog video to HDMI (thus the name) and is really the on/off switch for the entire video section including overlay graphics as Jerry notes but also picture enhancements (color, contrast etc).

The ip scaler setting ONLY controls the scaling function (ie resolution / framerate changes).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7496 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

There are two settings that do completely different things, Video Convert, and IP Scaler. The Video Convert setting, when turned on, allows the AVR to superimpose text on the display screen, such as the volume slider, status messages, etc. Normally, you would want this setting turned on.

The IP Scaler converts incoming video signals to a resolution that is negotiated between the AVR and the display, based on EDID information shared during the HDMI handshake. For example, if your cable box outputs a standard def signal, and the AVR IP Scaler is set to 1080p, than the signal gets up-converted to the higher resolution. If the input signal is already 1080p, than no up-conversion is required, and the setting of the IP Scaler doesn't affect the signal.

Even if you don't up-convert signals in the AVR, they will be up-converted by the TV display, so it becomes a question of which device does a better job of converting the signal. With today's electronics, it will likely be difficult to see any difference.

Thanks a lot !!!
post #7497 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Try powering on each device in a specific order ... generally TV first, wait a few seconds, AVR next, wait a few seconds, and then finally the source device. If this does not resolve the issue, then a full microprocessor reset (p. 201 OM) would be the next step.

I had tried microprocessor reset and use the web reload the config, but problem still appear. Is the TV not compatible with the 4520 ?
post #7498 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Looks like you made good progress in getting REW working, Oz. I recommend you take this discussion over to the REW thread here, where you will find all sorts of experts to help you analyze, and hopefully fix, any issues.

Based on the single measurement you have provided, it should be obvious that more understanding is needed for the significant dip around 40Hz, as well as a better look at the 100-300Hz range, which could be impacting your crossover settings.

Thanks Jerry. So now I'm at this stage, your advice is to do what I really didn't want to have to do, go searching and digging on another thread. Kind of puts paid to my initial hesitation to want to delve into REW and then looking for ways to correct, what likely won't be easily fixed in my room. I guess I can do a quick post across in the REW thread when I get 5 and see where that advice now takes me. I def don't have any time after work today to do anything further with troubleshooting. Not sure how much of the weekend I'll be able to dedicate either..

post #7499 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OZ - if you want to keep it simple Jerry has published a very easy to follow guide and getting set up and running measurements: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/REW%20101%20v3.3.pdf

You do want to be scrupulous about settings (e.g. making sure Audyssey is off, no Dynamic EQ/Volume, making sure you set a speaker to "large" if you are just measuring it alone so bass doesn't get redirected to the subwoofer, and so forth) to ensure good quality, but it's fairly easy to get going.

That said, it does look like you have a very large dip in response between 100-150Hz which is almost certainly the cause of your high crossover setting. A next step would probably be to replicate the measurements at a few positions in the listening area, since the crossover setting is based on the combined analysis of all measurement positions.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7500 of 9839 Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OZ - if you want to keep it simple Jerry has published a very easy to follow guide and getting set up and running measurements: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/REW%20101%20v3.3.pdf

You do want to be scrupulous about settings (e.g. making sure Audyssey is off, no Dynamic EQ/Volume, making sure you set a speaker to "large" if you are just measuring it alone so bass doesn't get redirected to the subwoofer, and so forth) to ensure good quality, but it's fairly easy to get going.

That said, it does look like you have a very large dip in response between 100-150Hz which is almost certainly the cause of your high crossover setting. A next step would probably be to replicate the measurements at a few positions in the listening area, since the crossover setting is based on the combined analysis of all measurement positions.

Thanks batpig. The speaker to large setting is what was needed. In my hurry yesterday, I didn't get a chance to think through how to get rid of sub bass. I imagine running in Direct would do similar? I figured diff measurement positions would be needed. Glad I'm not far off the correct method.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page