post #7501 of 8836 Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

OZ - if you want to keep it simple Jerry has published a very easy to follow guide and getting set up and running measurements: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/REW%20101%20v3.3.pdf

You do want to be scrupulous about settings (e.g. making sure Audyssey is off, no Dynamic EQ/Volume, making sure you set a speaker to "large" if you are just measuring it alone so bass doesn't get redirected to the subwoofer, and so forth) to ensure good quality, but it's fairly easy to get going.

That said, it does look like you have a very large dip in response between 100-150Hz which is almost certainly the cause of your high crossover setting. A next step would probably be to replicate the measurements at a few positions in the listening area, since the crossover setting is based on the combined analysis of all measurement positions.

Thanks batpig. The speaker to large setting is what was needed. In my hurry yesterday, I didn't get a chance to think through how to get rid of sub bass. I imagine running in Direct would do similar? I figured diff measurement positions would be needed. Glad I'm not far off the correct method.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 8836 Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Thanks Jerry. So now I'm at this stage, your advice is to do what I really didn't want to have to do, go searching and digging on another thread. Kind of puts paid to my initial hesitation to want to delve into REW and then looking for ways to correct, what likely won't be easily fixed in my room. I guess I can do a quick post across in the REW thread when I get 5 and see where that advice now takes me. I def don't have any time after work today to do anything further with troubleshooting. Not sure how much of the weekend I'll be able to dedicate either..

If the objective is analyzing your room response and arriving at possible improvements, the other thread is the right place for the discussion. Your issue is not an issue with the Denon AVR, per we, so it is a little OT to discuss it here. JMO.
post #7503 of 8836 Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

If the objective is analyzing your room response and arriving at possible improvements, the other thread is the right place for the discussion. Your issue is not an issue with the Denon AVR, per we, so it is a little OT to discuss it here. JMO.

Yes Jerry, sorry not disputing the reasoning for taking it into the specific REW thread at all. Just saying I already had pointed out I really didn't want to spend days and days on this room issue affecting Audyssey as I'm just about out of patience having spent the last month and bit bit playing with both ARC and now Audyssey pretty much non-stop. You could say I'm kind of over it as much as I love the HT hobby.

post #7504 of 8836 Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I ran into something tonight by accident but it answered two issues I was having. When I power up my Pan ST60, Oppo 103 and Denon 4520, the receiver has no sound when I play the movie or music that was previously playingd, stereo or any of the surround codecs. The way around it was usually by restarting the receiver. So it happened again today and I was only getting sound from the tv speakers and I thought well let me press the apps button, then go to viera link and turn on receiver speakers and wala the av receiver sound came through. Then I switched over to YouTube app on tv and I had sound going to the receiver as it should. I was having issues before, getting ARC to work properly with TV audio much less go through Denon HDMI. So basically what I'm seeing is my set up is defaulting to tv speakers. How do I keep this from happening? Turn viera link completely off? I like some off the hdmi cec features, but to get everything to work properly seems more trouble than it's worth.

Life is what you make it.......
post #7505 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
As many find, turning HDMI-CEC OFF on the TV and using an optical cable from the TV to the AVR is generally a better solution.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7506 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is it possible to play video from one source and audio from a different source on the 4520?

I know this function exists on other denon AVRs (the video select function) , but I cant seem to find it on the 4520.

My goal is to watch family pictures using my oppo player (hdmi) while listening to music played by my sonos player (digital coaxial)...

Stef
post #7507 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup, p. 138 Owner's manual, although only works with analog video sources (eg. component).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #7508 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 931
You can also assign the optical input of the Sonos to the same input as the Oppo and then set input mode to "digital" to override the HDMI audio and force the optical audio.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7509 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks to both of you!
I tried what batpig suggested and it worked like a charm...

Stef
post #7510 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hello. my 2-3 week old Denon 4520CI seems to keep powering on then off. on then off. on then off... i finally had to unplug it. highly douptfull it's any type of speaker connection doing this as i use bananna plugs and everything was fine-

any thoughts??

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #7511 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Unplug everything. See if the behavior persists. If no, then start plugging things back in one-by-one. If yes, try a hard reset.
post #7512 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Yes. Unplug everything. See if the behavior persists. If no, then start plugging things back in one-by-one. If yes, try a hard reset.

Thanks. yes. unplugged everything and still turns on/off.... will look up hard reset-

thanks-

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #7513 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok... after disconectting all hook-ups and confirming the problem was still there i performed a Microprocessor Reset.... it seemed so far to work.

ill let it sit tonight and start re-hooking everything up Sat morning-.

any idea why this happened???

ill keep you posted-

thanks and have a good evening.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #7514 of 8836 Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well using Jerry's guide and 'futzing' around with REW is proving to be just as bigger a p.o. on my Sat afternoon as I'd anticipated. The guide's great, but I simply can't get my ASIO4All driver to switch on my UMIK-1. All I can do is get left channel measurements in of the front speaker that's it. If I thought I was at my limits of patience already, I've now officially reached it. I have yet another limited amount of time while my gf is out to make measurement then try to get on that REW thread and post , then wait for learned responses to somehow point me in the direction of doing something with my room to get this 4520 measuring properly...It ridiculous but I almost feel like pulling that damn MRX out and stuffing around with ARC graphs again to see if it measures similarly and it's active measurement mode could more quickly pin point the room issues..I seriously doubt I'll do that though as I don't have the time.

post #7515 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ASIO is very buggy. I have the same thing you do and haven't yet had time to troubleshoot any further. Some folks say that uninstalling and then reinstalling can cure the blues.

For now I'm using the simple analog method with a mini jack to RCA stereo cable from the headphone jack of my computer. With an RCA splitter on the end you can also measure L + R together or C using PLII Cinema.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7516 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

well unfortunitly my 4520CI is showing the same problem this AM.... turns on then off on then off. iv'e done the reset iv'e changed outlets and iv'e unhooked everything-

ill keep the forum posted!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #7517 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Is the unit connected to a power strip? If yes, disconnect and try connecting directly to the outlet to rule out a defective power strip.

post #7518 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Is the unit connected to a power strip? If yes, disconnect and try connecting directly to the outlet to rule out a defective power strip.

Thanks JD..... tried that-

the reset i did was holding down the power button + info + back.

is that the correct method.?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #7519 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, as noted in post #3 of this thread, there are actually three different resets that you can do on the 4520CI ....

post #7520 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

I don't do any home automation myself, but anyone doing so with Crestron might be interested in this bit of news:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/crestron-home-automation-integration-now-available-select-denon-and-marantz-receivers

Crestron Connected ???? ok. That sounds great. If I only knew why. Other than climate, light and shade, etc, that type of automation. Looking at their web site I see media players. REALLY? Like what....I'd love to connect zone 2 and 3 and even 4 with a Ethernet cable and have audio and video sent to my other zones. I'm sure i'm miss reading something here. I seem to do that a lot. While, yes, it would be nice to control lighting with lets say my 4520 avr. But seems like my harmony remote can already do that. I know.....Give it time. I'll be amazed at what options will come...RIGHT?
post #7521 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I started messing with zone 4 once. So I could watch the same program on my porch as in the living room....( there's no cable box on the porch) It worked almost. And THEN. Lost audio inside. Almost fixed that. Lost picture outside. Almost got that, then the audio out was gone. Then I disconnected the wire. (hdmi) and put it all back together. I'm not giving up my 11.2 audio for that crap.....Now grant you. I feel if the outside tv was more up to date. DVI input and not hdmi. I thought by using another avr as a in-between would work. I didn't think it would matter. I even tried a tv with hdmi for about 2 minutes. But by then, I was giving up. Not to mention, the wife saying how much longer crap.......

So....I'd like to know.

How do others use the other zones. With what equipment do you guys use. For the most part. I have everything stored on my pc. CAT-6 though all my walls. WD live plays everything great though the 4520 into my tv. I even get 7.1 audio. Of course, it don't quite match the Blu-ray. Close though.......But to do anything else, not really sure what to get. Or how to start. Then I read, only to use hdmi with zone 4. Well that really puts limits on things. Don't it???????? So lets say, zone 2. I want to send music to my pool. How would that be done, and what equipment do I need to add. Can I play the music I can play from my pc, though the cat-6, on zone 2......?????

Sorry. I just read this. I'll stop
post #7522 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

ASIO is very buggy. I have the same thing you do and haven't yet had time to troubleshoot any further. Some folks say that uninstalling and then reinstalling can cure the blues.

For now I'm using the simple analog method with a mini jack to RCA stereo cable from the headphone jack of my computer. With an RCA splitter on the end you can also measure L + R together or C using PLII Cinema.

Glad I'm not alone with a true Denon expert such as yourself running into the ASIO driver issue. I could always do the same and stick a mini jack to RCA cable into my HTPC's analog output. It's odd as I had the driver installed only weeks ago and working perfectly with the Dirac Live demo. I'm going to give that a shot later on when I have more time to devote to another HT session. Also going to try a tip passed on to another owner in the REW thread who has same freq measurement probs as me and try some more radical forward mic placement to see whether Audyssey's crossover settings change. Very easy to do, so what the heck eh.

EDIT: Well after much time spent messing around with REW. I came up with a simple feature I should check on all of my Revel speakers.. the built in bass compensation switch. Sure enough when I checked I quickly noticed I'd set all 3 front speakers to 'boundary compensation'. I put them back to normal, not even 'countour' mode (for extreme room modes) and bingo Audyssey issue gone, it now ,measures the L+R as full range. Funny, I had been pushing for a simpler solution than time wasting sessions with REW and sure enough I found it. Pity more people familiar with this kind of speaker tech as featured on my Revels aren't around browsing this thread wink.gif

post #7523 of 8836 Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE... after contacting accessories4less i was told to contact Denon-. I would have thought accessories4less would have handled the warrenty considering it's less then 3 weeks old. anyhow-. ill contact Denon and keep the forum posted.

although not sure if i should go for a full refund and buy retail or let Denon handle it.
any thoughts on how Denon's customer service is.?

PLEASE NOTE. Accessories4less has an exclusive agreement with Marantz, Denon & Boston Acoustics for exchanges. In the unlikely event that you have a product from one of these manufacturers fail within 30 days of date of purchase, they will exchange it for you FREE OF CHARGE. When you contact them, just let them know you purchased the item from Accessories4less and they will assist you with the exchange. This is NOT a repair situation.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #7524 of 8836 Old 03-30-2014, 03:55 AM
585-645-1006

Although the replacement for the Denon 4520CI is not due out until late fall, for a limited time (March 30 – April 26), Denon is lowering the MSRP on each of the Denon 4520CI and the DBT-3313UDCI BDP, whether purchased together or separately. Call for pricing.
ril850 likes this.

post #7525 of 8836 Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

UPDATE... after contacting accessories4less i was told to contact Denon-. I would have thought accessories4less would have handled the warrenty considering it's less then 3 weeks old. anyhow-. ill contact Denon and keep the forum posted.

although not sure if i should go for a full refund and buy retail or let Denon handle it.
any thoughts on how Denon's customer service is.?

PLEASE NOTE. Accessories4less has an exclusive agreement with Marantz, Denon & Boston Acoustics for exchanges. In the unlikely event that you have a product from one of these manufacturers fail within 30 days of date of purchase, they will exchange it for you FREE OF CHARGE. When you contact them, just let them know you purchased the item from Accessories4less and they will assist you with the exchange. This is NOT a repair situation.

D&M started doing this a couple of years ago as many of the returns that AC4L was getting back were due to operator error.

post #7526 of 8836 Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although the replacement for the Denon 4520CI is not due out until late fall, for a limited time (March 30 – April 26), Denon is lowering the MSRP on each of the Denon 4520CI and the DBT-3313UDCI BDP, whether purchased together or separately. Call for pricing.
Thanks JD for the great deal -- and for the heads-up on the deal! I'm loving my new 4520Ci and 3313UDCI -- so glad to be rid of my buggy Onkyo.
post #7527 of 8836 Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to use the rear USB port to power a MiniDSP.  It took me a bit of time to find out where to select the rear USB port, but I am good now.  I have several questions:  Is the USB port active when the AVR input selector is on a different input from "iPod/USB"?  I seem to recall that some are using the rear USB to run a cooling fan, so I suspect it should be sufficient power for the MiniDSP, correct?  And does the USB port power down when the AVR is turned off?

post #7528 of 8836 Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I believe the port is powered even if you aren't on that input. For example if I plug my iPod into my X4000 it will still charge even if I'm not on the iPod/USB input.

If the 4520 works like my X4000 the USB port will still be hot when powered down to standby if the IP Control setting is set to always on. The network and USB functions are linked somehow.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7529 of 8836 Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, BP.  I didn't associate the network and USB functions.  I'll give it a test.

post #7530 of 8836 Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gentlemen i would like to try headphones with the 4520. I am thinking about the sennheiser hd 650. What do think about them. One problem is the cable length. My sitting position is about 12 to 14 feet from the 4520. I have had no luck finding a cable that long. Can someone point me to where i can find a cable that long are should i consider wireless headphones.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page