post #812 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

Chris, I eagerly await your review of the 4520, including if your calibration time with Audyssey Pro doubles (similar to jerry). I still haven't found a good reason to dump my 4311 ...
My sense is that it has a lot of new features (Audyssey LFC, Dialogue Enhancer, PIP, etc), nearly all of which, sadly, are pretty useless for me. So far, the only good reason I've found is that I can still get good value for a trade-in on my 4311 but that argument somehow seems flawed. tongue.gif
Mark

Whenever I upgrade I need to feel that the new product will give me that 'wow' factor that my current source can't because of new technology.  Personally, if my main reason would be getting a better trade in price now, and the new video or audio didn't 'wow' me, probably very shortly after the 'newness' of it wore off I'd be saying gee, this really is hardly any better than what I just sold, what the he--  was I thinking, especially if you have a fine product like the 4311 already.

post #813 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi, i have 6 surround speakers. Surround backs and a pair of side surrounds for each of my two rows. Can the Front high or wide channels in the 4520CI be reassigned to be used as a second pair of side surrounds?
Thanks
Vik
post #814 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Hi Vik -- Yes, because the 4520 has a "free assign" mode you can do this. You need to set AMP ASSIGN to "Custom" which enables free assignment of all but the C/SL/SR amp channels (see chart on pg 183 of the manual).

Obviously you will leave the "core" 5.1 channels plus the surr.back channel amps as is, and then the 8th/9th amp channels (default assignment is FHL/FHR) you reassign to duplicate SL/SR.

(Note that this will prevent you from being able to run heights or wides without adding additional amplification, because you have used all 9 internal amps for your current 9 speaker layout, even though it's technically still only 7 "channels" of output)
napiermark and vikgrao like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #815 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Hi, i have 6 surround speakers. Surround backs and a pair of side surrounds for each of my two rows. Can the Front high or wide channels in the 4520CI be reassigned to be used as a second pair of side surrounds?
Thanks
Vik

Custom amp assign can do this.

edit:  nm, I see Batpig dealt with this as I was typing.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #816 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Hi Vik -- Yes, because the 4520 has a "free assign" mode you can do this. You need to set AMP ASSIGN to "Custom" which enables free assignment of all but the C/SL/SR amp channels (see chart on pg 183 of the manual).
Obviously you will leave the "core" 5.1 channels plus the surr.back channel amps as is, and then the 8th/9th amp channels (default assignment is FHL/FHR) you reassign to duplicate SL/SR.
(Note that this will prevent you from being able to run heights or wides without adding additional amplification, because you have used all 9 internal amps for your current 9 speaker layout, even though it's technically still only 7 "channels" of output)

Thanks so much. you solved a huge dilemma for me. Shawn byrne mentioned that this would do the job yesterday i just wanted to confirm on the official thread also. Btw i wish i had your username and the quote below i absolutely love it!!!
post #817 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Custom amp assign can do this.

edit:  nm, I see Batpig dealt with this as I was typing.

Thanks Flint!
post #818 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Oh i forgot to mention My LCR's are Seaton Catalyst 12C powered speakers. So i guess i will still have 3 internal amps left to assign.
post #819 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
actually only two -- if you examine the chart I referenced and read what I wrote, you will note that three amps (SR/SL/C) are non assignable, even in "Custom" amp assign mode.

FYI - here's the chart:

so you could technically still run a 9ch setup I believe, by reassigning the unused FL/FR amps to power the extra SL/SR speakers, and then you would still have the FHL/FHR amps available.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #820 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome thanks again!
post #821 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
it's here...

first note is that the default volume scale is opposite of what it was on recent models...

the "initial setup" seems to work ok, and should (hopefully) eliminate some of the basic "how do i do this" questions...

menu is ok... it's a menu...

deremote found it and controls it without issue...

more to come...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #822 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

actually only two -- if you examine the chart I referenced and read what I wrote, you will note that three amps (SR/SL/C) are non assignable, even in "Custom" amp assign mode.
FYI - here's the chart:

so you could technically still run a 9ch setup I believe, by reassigning the unused FL/FR amps to power the extra SL/SR speakers, and then you would still have the FHL/FHR amps available.
Quote:

actually my reading is that it IS possible to achieve 6.1 with the extra 3 amps bi-amping the FR, FL, and C channels.
according to that chart, when in "Custom" free assign mode, the C, SL, and SR channels are "fixed" an non-assignable (although the "-" seems to indicate that they can be deactivated), but the other 6 amps are fully assignable to ANY channel (with the caveat that left is always left, right is always right).
that means you could leave the five main amps at their normal settings (FR, FL, C, SR, SL), reassign the front height amps to also power the FR and FL, and then use whatever SB amp you aren't using to assign to C and bi-amp the center.

Unfortunately, it is not a complete free assign mode, as it turns out. Custom assign is only possible in pairs, so I am not able to use one of the surround back amps to handle my single surround back speaker and the other to bi-amp my center. I could bi-amp both my surround speakers though, without using my surround back speaker if I really wanted that...
post #823 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it's here...
first note is that the default volume scale is opposite of what it was on recent models...
the "initial setup" seems to work ok, and should (hopefully) eliminate some of the basic "how do i do this" questions...
menu is ok... it's a menu...
deremote found it and controls it without issue...
more to come...

You can restore the old + or - 0 dB mode through the menu.
post #824 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup, already did... smile.gif it's set up and functional... no errors so far...

initial testing of straight video passthrough looks good... no obvious errors... still need to run some further tests there...

time to go down the aud pro rabbit hole... hope i can find all my stuff... redface.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #825 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:

^^^
yup, already did... smile.gif it's set up and functional... no errors so far...
initial testing of straight video passthrough looks good... no obvious errors... still need to run some further tests there...
time to go down the aud pro rabbit hole... hope i can find all my stuff... redface.gif

Chris, I can't recall. When you had the A-100, did you benefit from the post-calibration sub distance tweak? Do you run measurements after a calibration?

Please measure the amount of time it takes to do the data transfer between each set of Audyssey chirps. You are the second 4520 user to run a Pro calibration, and we want to see if my experience with slow USB-to-Serial transfers are duplicated with your AVR.
post #826 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yea, i did jerry... yea, i do... unfortunately, i'm not nearly as fastidious as you are about record keeping, so i doubt i have any "pre-tweak" measurements saved... redface.gif

i'll time it, sure, but i don't use a usb-serial cable... i've got an old lappy with a serial port that i use... did a usb-serial cable come with the kit? if so, i'll do a run with it after i get a good calibration done and saved... might as well see if it's reproducible... smile.gif

- chris

post #827 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

^^^
yea, i did jerry... yea, i do... unfortunately, i'm not nearly as fastidious as you are about record keeping, so i doubt i have any "pre-tweak" measurements saved... redface.gif
i'll time it, sure, but i don't use a usb-serial cable... i've got an old lappy with a serial port that i use... did a usb-serial cable come with the kit? if so, i'll do a run with it after i get a good calibration done and saved... might as well see if it's reproducible... smile.gif

If Jerry's right, you may have a LOT of time to catch up on your e-reading while you're doing your Pro Cal...biggrin.gif

Congradulations on being the second guinea pig....somebody's got to do it and I"m glad your drive for new toys won out over utilitarian thinking:rolleyes:

I need lots of InstaPreview info to get the cognitive dissonance going...eek.gif

BTW, the Pro Kit (at least mine in the spring) came with a Serial-to-USB cable.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #828 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

Interesting, I have never heard of using a serial cable between the AVR and the laptop. Unfortunately, we won't have an apples-to-apples comparison, although I doubt that a direct serial connection will be any faster. My theory is that the serial interface on the AVR has a lower speed, or the driver on the AVR side is hosed. Either would affect your calibration as well. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your report. Of course, I'll be passing the time with a glass of Cabernet... wink.gif
post #829 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all. I am very new here and a noob in the world of sound and picture.
I have a problem and would be very happy if some1 help me out
Yesterday I purchased a denon 4520 and it is really amazing.
The problem is when I play a movie using my TV and home network I donot have any sound. I have no idea why.
Theother thing is when I use my iphone to play movies via airplay all it says is `failed`
and also I am not able to control my TV or PS3 by using the denon remote control.

Thx in advance

My TV . Sony KDL46HX920
Speakers . Dali Lektor series. ( 2 front-center-surround)
Subwoofer. Klipsh RT-10D
Kables . HDMI Monster 1200HDex Ultimate High Speed Cable for all connections.
post #830 of 10181 Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobal View Post

Hi all. I am very new here and a noob in the world of sound and picture.
I have a problem and would be very happy if some1 help me out
Yesterday I purchased a denon 4520 and it is really amazing.
The problem is when I play a movie using my TV and home network I donot have any sound. I have no idea why.
Theother thing is when I use my iphone to play movies via airplay all it says is `failed`
and also I am not able to control my TV or PS3 by using the denon remote control.
Thx in advance
My TV . Sony KDL46HX920
Speakers . Dali Lektor series. ( 2 front-center-surround)
Subwoofer. Klipsh RT-10D
Kables . HDMI Monster 1200HDex Ultimate High Speed Cable for all connections.

Hello Tobal,

Let's start with the first problem. Please answer each of the following:

- how are you trying to "play a movie"? Are you streaming a movie over the Internet? If yes, what device is doing the streaming, the TV?
- How is the audio from the TV connected to the 4520? There should be an audio connection, e.g. Toslink, from the TV to an input on the 4520.

Now for the Airplay issue. When you select a music file to play using Airplay, do you get the Airplay icon with which to select the output device? If you click on the icon, does it show the Denon AVR-4520CI as one of the output destinations? When you open the 4520 menu and go to the network submenu, does the 4520 have a valid IP address on your network?
post #831 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 AM

Hi and thx for the tips.
To the TV only one HDMI is connected. From the TV to Denon nothing.
For streaming airplay , yes , I can see denon 4520 and I can play music from it but not movies.
I thought HDMI audio return channel is gonna be working as an extra cable for audio.
And yes the movies I play is from my hard disk which is connected to my home network
I play the movies using the TV not denon because the TV supports more formats.

Thx again
post #832 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

a) you cannot stream video via airplay to the avr... only audio...

b) what gets sent out via "arc" is dependent upon the display... some of them will not send audio from a connected component, only from internally generated (tuner, apps, etc.) sources...

c) not sure what you mean by the "tv supports more formats" comment? confused.gif can you explain that further?

- chris

post #833 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobal View Post

Hi and thx for the tips.
To the TV only one HDMI is connected. From the TV to Denon nothing.
For streaming airplay , yes , I can see denon 4520 and I can play music from it but not movies.
I thought HDMI audio return channel is gonna be working as an extra cable for audio.
And yes the movies I play is from my hard disk which is connected to my home network
I play the movies using the TV not denon because the TV supports more formats.
Thx again

I have an optical (Toslink) cable from the TV to the Denon as well, and I can play audio from the TV. You might want to try this as well.

As Chris says, Airplay supports audio only. If you want to stream video as well, Apple TV is an inexpensive solution that works well if the movies are in iTunes.
post #834 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Maybe not the correct place to ask this but, I had a Onkyo 709 that is in repair and yesterday Onkyo said they were going to replace it with a new Onkyo 717. I plan to sell the 717 and thinking of getting the Onkyo 818 however, is the Denon 4520 worth two and half times the cost of the Onkyo 818?
post #835 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

without going into detail (since this isn't the thread for it), to me it was, yes...

fwiw, it's about twice the price if the 818 if you pick up the phone and call the sponsor of this site... wink.gif

- chris

post #836 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 AM

The 4311 specs suggest it converts composite to component out. I do not see that mentioned in the 4520 specs? Anyone know if it does? I currently have a TV with component inputs only and at some point plan to upgrade to HDMI.
post #837 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yes it does... see page 7 of the owner's manual...

- chris

post #838 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Interesting, I have never heard of using a serial cable between the AVR and the laptop. Unfortunately, we won't have an apples-to-apples comparison, although I doubt that a direct serial connection will be any faster. My theory is that the serial interface on the AVR has a lower speed, or the driver on the AVR side is hosed. Either would affect your calibration as well. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your report. Of course, I'll be passing the time with a glass of Cabernet... wink.gif

That just means he's old been around long enough to remember how to set up a serial port tongue.gif 9600,8,1,n eek.gif

Jerry, I think the serial interface on the AVR is the limiting factor. The timing of the download from my laptop to the A-100 correlated pretty well to a 9600 baud connection. Now that Denon is including Ethernet ports and in the case of the 4520, a hub, it's time they rewrote the interface. That said, given the relatively low number of Pro kits out there, it probably isn't a priority.
post #839 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #840 of 10181 Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

That just means he's old been around long enough to remember how to set up a serial port tongue.gif 9600,8,1,n eek.gif
Jerry, I think the serial interface on the AVR is the limiting factor. The timing of the download from my laptop to the A-100 correlated pretty well to a 9600 baud connection. Now that Denon is including Ethernet ports and in the case of the 4520, a hub, it's time they rewrote the interface. That said, given the relatively low number of Pro kits out there, it probably isn't a priority.

What you say may be true, but it doesn't explain why the serial data transfer speed for the 4520 is only half as fast as the 4311. One would not expect a step backwards. BTW, I opened a case with Denon over a month ago, but (as is typical of Denon support) I have not received an answer yet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page