Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Well that worked. First time I have ever had to do that. First time as a Denon owner I have had to do that. Forgive me for those of you who read and sighed at my previous comment. I was just thinking to myself this is the worst time for something to go wrong with heights and wides being setup and guests and such...the thought of having to pack up and send off...ughhghg....

So what exactly causes this? My 3313 never had any issues. Is it basically like a software freeze?

No worries having to rerun Audyssey as I installed heights today before turning everything on. So I have to rerun anyway.
Wow, my new Oppo 103D is being delivered today. This all makes me a little worried....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3540 View Post
Wow, my new Oppo 103D is being delivered today. This all makes me a little worried....
I have an oppo 103d as my main source, use it for all disc based media and blueray movies as well as netflix, granted I haven't had the 4520 for a week yet but so far no issues I haven't caused myself.
For example me messing with the amp assignments and needing to recalibrate.

Fingers crossed it keeps this way :-)

As for the dedicated power amps.

I also have an emotiva xpa 5, but I am currently running with out it at the moment just to test, my speakers really shouldn't need it and I don't really play all that loudly, if I can sell it off, more money, less clutter.

Hooked up for as quick an ab test I can pull off earlier and it seems I might need to push a few DB extra to get right 'push' from the speakers without it and the sound seemed to be just a little bit 'more fun' with it.

But to make sure I have now ran a new calibration without the emotiva and it seemed to boost the front section a few DB , and the center is now 1.5 DB louder than the rest of the system (I checked with my db meter) equalizer and other calibration settings seem unchanged between the two calibration.

Considering I couldn't ship this Emo limiting sales potential and although having money for it could be nice I would probably just spend it on single malt whisky :-P

And a 5 channel amp is 'handy' to have around in this little hobby.
For now it might not be necessary to have, but fun none the less.

Last edited by TorTorden; 06-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Single malt whisky (without the 'e') I hope....

Under construction: the Larch theater
Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
I was just reading this post and had to ask. Why would you buy a 4520 and use all those Emotiva amps. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a x4000 and spend the rest on something else? Is the 4520 a superior processor?

Maybe he already had them. For 11 channels you need to add at least a 2 channel amp. Which is what I'm using with my 4520 - and I have oodles of power.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was just reading this post and had to ask. Why would you buy a 4520 and use all those Emotiva amps. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a x4000 and spend the rest on something else? Is the 4520 a superior processor?
I have dedicated external amps for 11 channels and I would definitely consider getting a 4520 as a pure processor, as the corresponding prepro (which is a Marantz, not a Denon) costs substantially more and I would not use balanced interconnects even if I had one...

Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
I have dedicated external amps for 11 channels and I would definitely consider getting a 4520 as a pure processor, as the corresponding prepro (which is a Marantz, not a Denon) costs substantially more and I would not use balanced interconnects even if I had one...

Not a bad idea. Give us a call at AV Science for a quote.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Single malt whisky (without the 'e') I hope....
Of course.
I lay all blame on this android tablet ****** autocorrecting spell check
Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
I have an oppo 103d as my main source, use it for all disc based media and blueray movies as well as netflix, granted I haven't had the 4520 for a week yet but so far no issues I haven't caused myself.
For example me messing with the amp assignments and needing to recalibrate.

Fingers crossed it keeps this way :-)

As for the dedicated power amps.

I also have an emotiva xpa 5, but I am currently running with out it at the moment just to test, my speakers really shouldn't need it and I don't really play all that loudly, if I can sell it off, more money, less clutter.

Hooked up for as quick an ab test I can pull off earlier and it seems I might need to push a few DB extra to get right 'push' from the speakers without it and the sound seemed to be just a little bit 'more fun' with it.

But to make sure I have now ran a new calibration without the emotiva and it seemed to boost the front section a few DB , and the center is now 1.5 DB louder than the rest of the system (I checked with my db meter) equalizer and other calibration settings seem unchanged between the two calibration.

Considering I couldn't ship this Emo limiting sales potential and although having money for it could be nice I would probably just spend it on single malt whisky :-P

And a 5 channel amp is 'handy' to have around in this little hobby.
For now it might not be necessary to have, but fun none the less.

Do you have any issue when changing to "stereo" listening preset when listening to a CD on your Oppo via HDMI to your 4520?

I had all listening presets work but when I selected "stereo" my 4520 clicks and I get no sound.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yea I can't honestly say for sure what the issue is. But I haven't heard this being an issue before. That is Oppo players causing issues to Denon AVR's. So I wouldn't worry. Sometimes electronics act weird spontaneously then go back to being fine. But it can be a little nerve racking when you have payed XXXX for an AVR and BD player setup!

My Setup Thread
Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Maybe he already had them. For 11 channels you need to add at least a 2 channel amp. Which is what I'm using with my 4520 - and I have oodles of power.
So you can't do 11.1 on the x4000? Still though, if you only planning to use 9 channels (at the most) why would you choose the 4520 over the x4000.......in terms of processing only not amplification.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you can't do 11.1 on the x4000? Still though, if you only planning to use 9 channels (at the most) why would you choose the 4520 over the x4000.......in terms of processing only not amplification.

More power, 4 ohm speaker rated, complete flexibility on amp assign using external amps, " Made in Japan " ( not China ) - there are lots of reasons people pick the 4520 over the X4000. Processing wise I'm not sure there is that much difference.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Also, the x4000 is only a 9 channel processor. You have to choose which pair of speakers don't generate any sound. The 4520 is an 11 channel processor, although with only 9 internal amps: an external stereo amp is needed for all 11 speakers to generate sound simultaneously.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1798
Quote:
Well that worked. First time I have ever had to do that. First time as a Denon owner I have had to do that. Forgive me for those of you who read and sighed at my previous comment. I was just thinking to myself this is the worst time for something to go wrong with heights and wides being setup and guests and such...the thought of having to pack up and send off...ughhghg....

So what exactly causes this? My 3313 never had any issues. Is it basically like a software freeze?

No worries having to rerun Audyssey as I installed heights today before turning everything on. So I have to rerun anyway.
Always keep in mind that before doing a hard reset, you want to first try doing a soft reset by simply unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, which will often solve some issues and save you from having to do a hard reset and running Audyssey again if there is no backup saved to a laptop file.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
More power, 4 ohm speaker rated, complete flexibility on amp assign using external amps, " Made in Japan " ( not China ) - there are lots of reasons people pick the 4520 over the X4000. Processing wise I'm not sure there is that much difference.
So if you are running 6 ohm/8 ohm speakers and only wish to go no further than 9 channels than the x4000 would be the wiser choice Right? Power difference should not be much. Made in Japan is still assembled in Japan with mostly made in China parts...right? If you are talking quality capacitors and such wouldn't the wise family choice then be a Marantz 7008? You guys are the experts, I am just wondering these things out loud as I have read many posts leading me to these summations.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Marantz does tend to have differences/improvements in the analog circuits and in the mechanical design of their equipment. Whether they make any audible difference is arguable, but many people like to spend the additional money for them. It's an entertainment system, after all. If knowing your equipment has those features provides you more entertainment, and you can afford them, then they're worth getting.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Do you have any issue when changing to "stereo" listening preset when listening to a CD on your Oppo via HDMI to your 4520?

I had all listening presets work but when I selected "stereo" my 4520 clicks and I get no sound.
None whatsoever, i have pretty much been using nothing but stereo mode unless playing a movie, so I have probably used stereo the most so far.

Don't know if the unit 'clicks' when activating stereo since it is in my office outside of my living room cinema.
But if it is it's just some relays switching amps on or off as far as I guess.

My oppo is even sitting inside my room, under my center channel, and thus is on a 15 foot hdmi cable to the avr, with the same back to the tv, and the front projector is on a 30 foot hdmi cable.

Knock on wood and cross my fingers, but so far this unit seems to have even less hdmi issues than my pioneer elite it is replacing.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Yea, Not sure is the 4520 is any "better" than the x4000. After doing a lot of research, I "felt" like it was better so that is my only excuse. I almost bought a Marantz AV8801 but again, after much research, thought the 4520 was the better deal.
The reason for all of the amps is I push my equipment hard sometimes. My 4810 would go into protection mode after extended sessions before I got the Emo amps. I rewired my A/V room with 5 dedicated 20 amp outlets, 12/2 wire to 5 dedicated 20 amp breakers. Before I did that, the entire top floor of my houses lights would dim on heavy bass material. I know, I'm crazy for listening to music/movies that loud. I just can't help myself sometimes...

I just remembered, I don't think the x4000 does 11.2? I'm not sure about that, but I LOVE My 11.2 set up. On Multi Channel Music it sounds incredible!
Those dedicated lines make big difference what power outlets did you get.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
Quote:

Wait a minute -- before when I asked if something was going wrong or if it was just the clicks, you indicated that everything was fine besides the clicks. But "no sound" falls into the category of "something wrong" right??

This sounds to me like the receiver thinks you have dedicated 2ch / Front B speakers connected. The click is the relay disengaging the amps from the actual front speakers and trying to reroute them to the alternate 2ch dedicated speakers (which are nonexistent, thus silence). What is your Amp Assign setting?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Wait a minute -- before when I asked if something was going wrong or if it was just the clicks, you indicated that everything was fine besides the clicks. But "no sound" falls into the category of "something wrong" right??

This sounds to me like the receiver thinks you have dedicated 2ch / Front B speakers connected. The click is the relay disengaging the amps from the actual front speakers and trying to reroute them to the alternate 2ch dedicated speakers (which are nonexistent, thus silence). What is your Amp Assign setting?
Ok ,mis communication then. Yea no sound I will check those settings.

I currently have 9 channels connected. Front heights and wides with the traditional 5 LCR and two surrounds. So what should the amp assign be for that? And then after I connect the "single " back surround what should it be then? Thats it, the amp assign mode.

My Setup Thread
Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Always keep in mind that before doing a hard reset, you want to first try doing a soft reset by simply unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, which will often solve some issues and save you from having to do a hard reset and running Audyssey again if there is no backup saved to a laptop file.
Needed to run Audyssey again anyways as heights were installed.

My Setup Thread
Old 06-24-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My Brand New OPPO BDP-103D is working well with my 4520 so far...
ril850 likes this.

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 851
I've been looking at getting a used 4520 to replace my aging 3808. How is the AL32 Multi Channel processing?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Give us a call at AV Science for a quote.
Thanks for the thought, but I'd be surprised if you could sell me a 240Volt version plus shipping across the atlantic with 30% added to the cost (including shipping!) for VAT/import tax for less than it costs here.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Harmony 890 Pro remote

I have a strange problem with the following 3 buttons in the device mode for my Denon 4520 receiver on my Harmony 890 remote : ModeGame, ModeMovie, ModeMusic. These buttons each have 2 functions based on how long they are pressed. They work correctly in any activities that AV Rcvr is in, but not in the device mode for AV Rcvr. In AV Rcvr device mode only the short press function words, but in activity mode both the short and long press functions work. Has anyone else seen this problem?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 829
I have a problem with my 4520ci. I've had this receiver for 8 months now and it's been great. Recently I ran the audyssey EQ calibration after rearranging my speaker setup and the readings were way off. For example the distances were'nt showing right and it also sets the HT speakers all to +12dbs instead of the normal -5dbs. It has problems measuring the sub outputs also. Anyways I tried doing a hard reset and it still is whacked. I then assumed it was probably the mic so I ordered a new mic and it still does the same thing. Does this pretty much mean it's something internal in the receiver? I've ran it many times in the past and it always went perfect. This just started happening out of nowhere. What sucks is that I can't find the receipt so I won't be able to send it to Denon. I bought it through Best buy and for some reason they can't find it on my history. Would anyone have any ideas of what to do? It still works and sounds fine but I don't know if it's Equalizing the speakers correctly.

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^Blackmambakila,

If you suspect it's a 4520 problem, take it over to a friend/neighbor's place and test it out there. Check and see if the problem persists.

If your friend/neighbor has the same receiver as your's the Audyssey numbers between his and your 4520 should be similar.
Blackmambakila likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post
I have a problem with my 4520ci. I've had this receiver for 8 months now and it's been great. Recently I ran the audyssey EQ calibration after rearranging my speaker setup and the readings were way off. For example the distances were'nt showing right and it also sets the HT speakers all to +12dbs instead of the normal -5dbs. It has problems measuring the sub outputs also. Anyways I tried doing a hard reset and it still is whacked. I then assumed it was probably the mic so I ordered a new mic and it still does the same thing. Does this pretty much mean it's something internal in the receiver? I've ran it many times in the past and it always went perfect. This just started happening out of nowhere. What sucks is that I can't find the receipt so I won't be able to send it to Denon. I bought it through Best buy and for some reason they can't find it on my history. Would anyone have any ideas of what to do? It still works and sounds fine but I don't know if it's Equalizing the speakers correctly.
You could also try the Full Deep Reset procedure mentioned in the early posts of this thread. It would mean a full re-configuration, but it might sort out your issues.
Regards, Mike.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post
In some cases where a single reset did not resolve an issue, multiple resets (4-5) in a row have. Give that a try. Also ensure the mic wire is untangled and there are no kinks or cuts in the wire. If you purchased with a credit card, also check your card statement for that period of time which you may be able to use to get Best Buy to recreate a new receipt for you.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 829
Thanks for everyones input. I know it's not the mic because I just bought a new one to see if it was and the new one does the same thing. Basically when I go to run the calibration it's like the mic can't pick up the speakers sounds like it had to put them at +12dbs instead of -5dbs like it always did before. With both mics doing this it leaves me to suspect something in the receiver is screwed, whatever controls the other end of where you plug the mic from the inside. I could try the reset thing several times to see. The reset that im doing is where you hold down the upper and lower arrows on the face of the receiver and turn on the power while the screen flashes 5 times, is this the right one?

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, that is a full deep reset that resets the network card and does a microprocessor reset as well.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread