The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 4520 and a 7.1 setup. I noticed that when watching movies even though they advertise the recodring in 5.1 the reciever still plays it in 7.1. Not all movies but some do this. Is there a way to turn off the surround back left and right when I don't want to hear 7.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post
I have the 4520 and a 7.1 setup. I noticed that when watching movies even though they advertise the recodring in 5.1 the reciever still plays it in 7.1. Not all movies but some do this. Is there a way to turn off the surround back left and right when I don't want to hear 7.1?
If you hold down the Movie button on the remote, you can choose Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Ex. The former does not use the rear surrounds.
post #8733 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post
Are the "some" all DTS soundtracks? Because DTS-HD will decode to your speaker layout; even if it's a 5.1 track it expands the surround to 7.1 if it detects surr.back speakers present in the layout. It's a "feature" of the DTS-HD decoder.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8734 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Could you not also go into speaker configuration and turn off surround back?
post #8735 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Yes, but that's a PITA.

That said, I don't know why you WOULDN'T want to use your back surrounds when watching a movie.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8736 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question and am asking here as it seems a number of you are highly experienced with AVS and generally smart guys I'll make it quick and easy. I recently posted a classified on this new forum format listing a ton of Cooler Master fans, three prong power cords (same kind that come with Denon AVRS or Oppo players) and other computer connection cables. About a week later I posted on my own classified stating I would be having more fans available that are very powerful CFM movers. General info. I then a few days later received a PM from AVS getting a warning for bumping my own thread. I was an experienced classified seller on the prior format. I PM'd the first Moderator I came across and he told me "bumping" is not allowed and never was. I went on to tell him that Huddle had a "bump listing" button you could click every 72hrs before which was news to him. Anyway where should I go to find out what the issue is or where is best to talk with the powers of AVS?

Off Topic so I hope you are not offended but I don't know where to go or who to chat with so I ask for your understanding. I love AVS as you guys do and wish to operate as I should

Going to run an Audyssey calibration tonight in hopes that it is one I am happy with. Then will watch Transformers 3 after 1&2 this last weekend in preparation to watch the 4th in Imax on Saturday evening
post #8737 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Yes, but that's a PITA.

That said, I don't know why you WOULDN'T want to use your back surrounds when watching a movie.
My initial thoughts as well. Seems to me it's just a quick menu navigation. Of course I go into the menu very often tweaking things
post #8738 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Without using the rear surrounds it just doesn't sound right. I'm hoping to eventually expand my 7.1 system to a 9.1 system with the 4520 at some point in the next year. Since there are nine channels of amplification I would like to take advantage of it at some point.

FedEx is showing that I can pick up the 4520 today. So hopefully I can set it up tonight.
post #8739 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Without using the rear surrounds it just doesn't sound right. I'm hoping to eventually expand my 7.1 system to a 9.1 system with the 4520 at some point in the next year. Since there are nine channels of amplification I would like to take advantage of it at some point.

FedEx is showing that I can pick up the 4520 today. So hopefully I can set it up tonight.

Ya, I'm not sure why one wouldn't want to use the rear surrounds either. As far as expanding to 9.1 - I liked the improvement. 11.2 is even better. Start with wides ( depending on your room layout ), then if you want, go with height speakers ( 2 channel amp needed ).

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8740 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 578

Boy this sounds very good. I've tried out several BD titles. It doesn't seem like a placebo effect but I've heard sounds that I never realized was there.
I'm just letting stuff run for now to make sure the 4520 doesn't have any issues being on for a long period. Although my UPS is reporting around 120 watts being used consistently when the volume is at zero. And higher during loud passages. Is that normal?(I saw it peak for a split second above 200watts during one part of Gravity. But that is the highest I saw. Most of the time it's much lower)

Do the fans inside run all the time or just when it reaches a certain temp? I can't really tell if they are on or not. I did place my one whisper quiet fan on top to get a little air flow. Do the fans on the bottom pull air up? My fan on top pulls air up so I just want to make sure the airflow is the same.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.
post #8741 of 8741 Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I have a question and am asking here as it seems a number of you are highly experienced with AVS and generally smart guys I'll make it quick and easy. I recently posted a classified on this new forum format listing a ton of Cooler Master fans, three prong power cords (same kind that come with Denon AVRS or Oppo players) and other computer connection cables. About a week later I posted on my own classified stating I would be having more fans available that are very powerful CFM movers. General info. I then a few days later received a PM from AVS getting a warning for bumping my own thread. I was an experienced classified seller on the prior format. I PM'd the first Moderator I came across and he told me "bumping" is not allowed and never was. I went on to tell him that Huddle had a "bump listing" button you could click every 72hrs before which was news to him. Anyway where should I go to find out what the issue is or where is best to talk with the powers of AVS?

Off Topic so I hope you are not offended but I don't know where to go or who to chat with so I ask for your understanding. I love AVS as you guys do and wish to operate as I should

Going to run an Audyssey calibration tonight in hopes that it is one I am happy with. Then will watch Transformers 3 after 1&2 this last weekend in preparation to watch the 4th in Imax on Saturday evening
Well perhaps not a winner lol! Or the classic tunnel vision of "dealing" with people? Anyway i'll figure it out
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page