The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 297 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8881 of 8886 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
while I doubt there will be any way to update the 4520 to do atmos. I'm sure they could.....

I was just wondering if when ever it becomes a norm. Could something like an Oppo, with all the multi channel analog out it has, be able to trick the 4520 into some type of atmos hybrid, using the multi channel analog in.

I mean i'm running 11.2, I'd think somehow I should be able to get at least 2 channels on the ceiling do something new....I'd be ok with 9.2.2....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8886 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
while I doubt there will be any way to update the 4520 to do atmos. I'm sure they could.....
And I'm pretty sure they can't. Seems like Atmos + Audyssey requires 2X the processors/processing power that the 4520 has onboard.
post #8883 of 8886 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please accept my apologies if this is answered somewhere in the thread but after a half hour of searching I'm just more confused than ever.

I just strung an HDMI cable from the 4520 into another room where I connected it to a small tv. It was my thought from what I got out of the manual that Zone 4 would pass thru whatever source I chose to assign to it and send it thru that cable into the 2nd tv when the 4520 was in standby mode. But in standby mode I get nothing.

I finally figured out that I can get a signal when I power ON Zone 4. But then the 4520 is no longer in standby and has to be on like 24 hours a day unless I want to keep running back and forth from one room to another every time I turn a tv on or off.

Is there a way to get a signal out of Zone 4 while the 4520 is in the typical standby mode (no display, red light over power button)? If I have to leave the 4520 on 24 hours a day I don't think that's at all worthwhile for the wear and tear or electricity cost.

Thank you so much for your help on this.

yours truly, johnny dollar
post #8884 of 8886 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
And I'm pretty sure they can't. Seems like Atmos + Audyssey requires 2X the processors/processing power that the 4520 has onboard.
No big loss, figure you don't want to mess with initial implementations anyway, it always improves with the next model, just look at how HDMI interfaces and DSP usage has evolved with each new model. Does it ever stop.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8885 of 8886 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny dollar View Post
Please accept my apologies if this is answered somewhere in the thread but after a half hour of searching I'm just more confused than ever.

I just strung an HDMI cable from the 4520 into another room where I connected it to a small tv. It was my thought from what I got out of the manual that Zone 4 would pass thru whatever source I chose to assign to it and send it thru that cable into the 2nd tv when the 4520 was in standby mode. But in standby mode I get nothing.

I finally figured out that I can get a signal when I power ON Zone 4. But then the 4520 is no longer in standby and has to be on like 24 hours a day unless I want to keep running back and forth from one room to another every time I turn a tv on or off.

Is there a way to get a signal out of Zone 4 while the 4520 is in the typical standby mode (no display, red light over power button)? If I have to leave the 4520 on 24 hours a day I don't think that's at all worthwhile for the wear and tear or electricity cost.

Thank you so much for your help on this.
Zone 4 is an active matrix, not a standby pass through. If you want Zone 4 to be on, it has to be on. It's not the passive pass through that you get with the main zone outputs. But in terms of energy use / cost I would bet it's quite minimal, the main zone circuitry and amps don't have to be on.

If you don't need the independent source control you can use the second main zone HDMI output and designate it as the standby option. But you can't actively select the source that is passing through (setting is either one designated source or "last" source) and you basically have to choose between having the main zone on or the second zone pass thru, not both simultaneously.

If you want the flexibility of a full matrix with independent source and power for the two zones, you have to use Zone 4.

All that said.... why do you have to leave it on 24 hrs a day? In terms of running back and forth between rooms to turn power on or off.... Um, you have heard of this thing called the internet right? You do know tour receiver can be controlled by it, right?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8886 of 8886 Old Today, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Um, you have heard of this thing called the internet right? You do know tour receiver can be controlled by it, right?
I don't know about that. Do you really think that internet thing is going to catch on?

Finally I understand how zone 4 works. Thank you so much for clearing it up. Plus it's suggested to me another possibility (teach my RF remote the on/off zone 4 commands).

yours truly, johnny dollar
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page