The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 297 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8881 of 8897 Old 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
while I doubt there will be any way to update the 4520 to do atmos. I'm sure they could.....

I was just wondering if when ever it becomes a norm. Could something like an Oppo, with all the multi channel analog out it has, be able to trick the 4520 into some type of atmos hybrid, using the multi channel analog in.

I mean i'm running 11.2, I'd think somehow I should be able to get at least 2 channels on the ceiling do something new....I'd be ok with 9.2.2....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8897 Old 07-27-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
while I doubt there will be any way to update the 4520 to do atmos. I'm sure they could.....
And I'm pretty sure they can't. Seems like Atmos + Audyssey requires 2X the processors/processing power that the 4520 has onboard.
post #8883 of 8897 Old 07-27-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please accept my apologies if this is answered somewhere in the thread but after a half hour of searching I'm just more confused than ever.

I just strung an HDMI cable from the 4520 into another room where I connected it to a small tv. It was my thought from what I got out of the manual that Zone 4 would pass thru whatever source I chose to assign to it and send it thru that cable into the 2nd tv when the 4520 was in standby mode. But in standby mode I get nothing.

I finally figured out that I can get a signal when I power ON Zone 4. But then the 4520 is no longer in standby and has to be on like 24 hours a day unless I want to keep running back and forth from one room to another every time I turn a tv on or off.

Is there a way to get a signal out of Zone 4 while the 4520 is in the typical standby mode (no display, red light over power button)? If I have to leave the 4520 on 24 hours a day I don't think that's at all worthwhile for the wear and tear or electricity cost.

Thank you so much for your help on this.

yours truly, johnny dollar
post #8884 of 8897 Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
And I'm pretty sure they can't. Seems like Atmos + Audyssey requires 2X the processors/processing power that the 4520 has onboard.
No big loss, figure you don't want to mess with initial implementations anyway, it always improves with the next model, just look at how HDMI interfaces and DSP usage has evolved with each new model. Does it ever stop.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8885 of 8897 Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny dollar View Post
Please accept my apologies if this is answered somewhere in the thread but after a half hour of searching I'm just more confused than ever.

I just strung an HDMI cable from the 4520 into another room where I connected it to a small tv. It was my thought from what I got out of the manual that Zone 4 would pass thru whatever source I chose to assign to it and send it thru that cable into the 2nd tv when the 4520 was in standby mode. But in standby mode I get nothing.

I finally figured out that I can get a signal when I power ON Zone 4. But then the 4520 is no longer in standby and has to be on like 24 hours a day unless I want to keep running back and forth from one room to another every time I turn a tv on or off.

Is there a way to get a signal out of Zone 4 while the 4520 is in the typical standby mode (no display, red light over power button)? If I have to leave the 4520 on 24 hours a day I don't think that's at all worthwhile for the wear and tear or electricity cost.

Thank you so much for your help on this.
Zone 4 is an active matrix, not a standby pass through. If you want Zone 4 to be on, it has to be on. It's not the passive pass through that you get with the main zone outputs. But in terms of energy use / cost I would bet it's quite minimal, the main zone circuitry and amps don't have to be on.

If you don't need the independent source control you can use the second main zone HDMI output and designate it as the standby option. But you can't actively select the source that is passing through (setting is either one designated source or "last" source) and you basically have to choose between having the main zone on or the second zone pass thru, not both simultaneously.

If you want the flexibility of a full matrix with independent source and power for the two zones, you have to use Zone 4.

All that said.... why do you have to leave it on 24 hrs a day? In terms of running back and forth between rooms to turn power on or off.... Um, you have heard of this thing called the internet right? You do know tour receiver can be controlled by it, right?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8886 of 8897 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Um, you have heard of this thing called the internet right? You do know tour receiver can be controlled by it, right?
I don't know about that. Do you really think that internet thing is going to catch on?

Finally I understand how zone 4 works. Thank you so much for clearing it up. Plus it's suggested to me another possibility (teach my RF remote the on/off zone 4 commands).

yours truly, johnny dollar
post #8887 of 8897 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 607
I'm thinking about adding front heights to my setup to take advantage of the two extra channels of amplification the 4520 has over the 3808 it replaced. WIth my setup, front heights are all I can add. I don't have the space for front wides.

I currently have a 7.1 setup using an SVS subwoofer from 2003 along with a seven speaker SVS system from 2008. My space is limited for front heights because there is only one spot I can mount them on the wall where the stud is. And one of those spots is above a window. So I was looking at the Axiom M3 bookshelf speaker to use for front heights.

With the MultEQ XT32, will that do a decent job with the Axioms and the SVS speakers in my system?(with just the SVS speakers it sounds superb) Will those Axiom speakers even work well for front height speakers?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8888 of 8897 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think they will be fine. Axiom speakers should be pretty neutral and close to flat so it shouldn't be hard for XT32 to tweak them to the target curve. And furthermore the height speakers probably don't stick out that much anyway so you'd be unlikely to notice whatever small differences are left.

Side note, but if you are going to put money into improving the setup, what about a second SVS subwoofer instead? You can use the same rationale ("taking advantage" of an unused feature of the 4520, namely SubEQ) and adding a second sub should yield pretty signficant improvements in smoothness of bass response across the listening zone.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8889 of 8897 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 607
I would love to add a second sub but I am in a condo. With just the one sub and the sub-sonic bass it produces, things can really start rattling. Fortunately I don't have to worry too much about the volume since I'm in the basement condo. But if I added a second SVS subwoofer I think that would push it a little too far.

Although next on my list would be to just replace my existing sub with a newer SVS sub.

Thanks for the comment about the Axioms. I wasn't really sure if they would work or not. I was completely resigned to stick with a 7.1 setup until I got the 4520. And with the excellent results I can hear in my current setup I really want to try and take advantage of the two extra channels of amplification. Plus I need to test it out soon anyway since it's a refurb. If there is an issue during the first 30 days, Denon covers shipping both ways to fix it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 05:10 PM.
post #8890 of 8897 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AVR-4520 together with DNP-720?

Hi,

I purchased the AVR-4520 yesterday together with the DBT-3313. When I told the shop assistent I want to play my 1TB Flac files on the 4520, he told me I would also need to purchase the DNP-720 since that would enhance the quality. Ok, I purchased that too.
When I told that my mate, he said that is rubbish since the 4520 could do the same as the DNP-720. I should better purchase a NAS HDD, load all Flac files there and connect that HDD to the 4520 directly via Ethernet.
Is that correct or what would be the best connection to the 4520? I don't mind having the DNP-720 additionally connected if that produces better quality output.

Can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive) NAS HDD (if possible connecting wireless to the 4520)?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Cheers
Caesar
post #8891 of 8897 Old Today, 02:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would love to add a second sub but I am in a condo. With just the one sub and the sub-sonic bass it produces, things can really start rattling. Fortunately I don't have to worry too much about the volume since I'm in the basement condo. But if I added a second SVS subwoofer I think that would push it a little too far.

Although next on my list would be to just replace my existing sub with a newer SVS sub.

Thanks for the comment about the Axioms. I wasn't really sure if they would work or not. I was completely resigned to stick with a 7.1 setup until I got the 4520. And with the excellent results I can hear in my current setup I really want to try and take advantage of the two extra channels of amplification. Plus I need to test it out soon anyway since it's a refurb. If there is an issue during the first 30 days, Denon covers shipping both ways to fix it.
You can use the Audyssey LFC setting to tame the lower bass frequencies so as not to disturb the neighbors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (29.4 KB, 4 views)

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8892 of 8897 Old Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
post #8893 of 8897 Old Today, 04:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Caesar- View Post
Hi,

I purchased the AVR-4520 yesterday together with the DBT-3313. When I told the shop assistent I want to play my 1TB Flac files on the 4520, he told me I would also need to purchase the DNP-720 since that would enhance the quality. Ok, I purchased that too.
When I told that my mate, he said that is rubbish since the 4520 could do the same as the DNP-720. I should better purchase a NAS HDD, load all Flac files there and connect that HDD to the 4520 directly via Ethernet.
Is that correct or what would be the best connection to the 4520? I don't mind having the DNP-720 additionally connected if that produces better quality output.

Can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive) NAS HDD (if possible connecting wireless to the 4520)?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Cheers
Caesar
Your mate is correct. Send the DNP-720 back as it is redundant. I'm sure one of the forum members can make a NAS HDD recommendation.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8894 of 8897 Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Your mate is correct. Send the DNP-720 back as it is redundant. I'm sure one of the forum members can make a NAS HDD recommendation.
Thanks mate.
The DNP is returned and I bought a Buffalo LS210D 3TB HDD.
I hope that's ok?

Cheers
Caesar
post #8895 of 8897 Old Today, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Here's the thing though -- adding a second sub does NOT make the bass louder. Sure, you would have more headroom if you were inclined to crank it, but remember that once you calibrate the system the sub channel (combined output) will still be calibrated at 75dB just like the other channels. So if you listen at -25dB volume, the calibrated subwoofer channel would be producing the same volume whether you had one, two, or eight subs.

Now, counterintuitively, adding a second sub might make things LESS obtrusive in terms of rattling and neighbor disturbance. Remember that a second sub will smooth out the room response -- you have will fewer big peaks and nulls as you move around the room because the two subs, in different locations, are energizing different room modes. It's possible (likely even) that the smoother, more consistent bass response throughout the room would result in knocking down a nasty peak or two that are exacerbating certain rattles and rumbling.

Plus, of course, as JD notes you can always use the LFC setting for when you really want to cut it out.
aaronwt likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8896 of 8897 Old Today, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Caesar- View Post
Thanks mate.
The DNP is returned and I bought a Buffalo LS210D 3TB HDD.
I hope that's ok?

Cheers
Caesar
Pretty sure that the NAS would have to support DLNA (act as a DLNA server) in order for the 4520 to see it on the network. The Denon can't see regular shares on the network (e.g. via SMB, Samba), at least mine can't, it just sees "Media Servers".

Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2
post #8897 of 8897 Old Today, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Buffalo's LS210D supports DLNA. See http://www.buffalotech.com/content/f.../LS210D_DS.pdf

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page