First ... 296  297  298 299  300  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread
bgoering's Avatar bgoering 07:47 PM 07-31-2014
Thanks jd and batpig - food for thought

aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 09:44 AM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The speaker posts and pre-outs are always "hot." In fact some have placed a mirrored 5.1 setup in another room as a result using both the speaker posts and pre-outs.
So even if the zones are off the pre-outs are hot? Why would that be the case? I leave my Zone 2, 3, and 4 off. I would not expect there to be a signal unless I had those zones on.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 09:56 AM 08-01-2014
^^
The OP was speaking of the main zone so my reply was in reference to the main zone.
user222's Avatar user222 03:39 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post
I have the 4520 and a 7.1 setup. I noticed that when watching movies even though they advertise the recodring in 5.1 the reciever still plays it in 7.1. Not all movies but some do this. Is there a way to turn off the surround back left and right when I don't want to hear 7.1?
Dear reyalP,

This you have noticed happens because you have your surround back channels installed and turned on. So the receiver adds two more channels if the original audio is 5.1 (in 7.1 original audio reproduces the original channels). If you don't wan't the receiver to add these channels in 5.1 original audio you can turn surround back channels off using the setup menu. There is also a much more easier way if you own a harmony remote with the press of a button!
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 06:15 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by user222 View Post
Dear reyalP,

This you have noticed happens because you have your surround back channels installed and turned on. So the receiver adds two more channels if the original audio is 5.1 (in 7.1 original audio reproduces the original channels). If you don't wan't the receiver to add these channels in 5.1 original audio you can turn surround back channels off using the setup menu. There is also a much more easier way if you own a harmony remote with the press of a button!
Can you elaborate on how you were able to configure the Harmony to toggle the surround backs off and on? Previous Denon AVR's had a command to turn off the surround backs, but AFAIK the 4520 does not have this command.
kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 06:58 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Can you elaborate on how you were able to configure the Harmony to toggle the surround backs off and on? Previous Denon AVR's had a command to turn off the surround backs, but AFAIK the 4520 does not have this command.
Often the commands from older units will also work with later units, so it is worth trying adding the commands from the previous model to your Harmony remote and seeing if they work with the 4520. You may have to download the older unit and Add it as a Device in your Harmony software - then you can just select the command and add it to the config for the 4520. I've done this a few times and it has worked nicely. Not guaranteed though.
user222's Avatar user222 07:04 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
The complexity of the procedure and how I can help you it depends from 2 factors:
1. What harmony remote do you have.
2. If you have 2 harmony remotes (or more).

Give me these information and I will see how I can help you. If for instance you have any two of these harmony remotes below then the procedure for you it will be a joy, I can send you the commands ready and you will teach your harmony to use it and that's all:

Harmony ultimate,
Harmony touch,
Harmony 900,
Harmony one
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 07:16 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Often the commands from older units will also work with later units, so it is worth trying adding the commands from the previous model to your Harmony remote and seeing if they work with the 4520. You may have to download the older unit and Add it as a Device in your Harmony software - then you can just select the command and add it to the config for the 4520. I've done this a few times and it has worked nicely. Not guaranteed though.
I have a 4311 in the bedroom, which supports a discrete command to toggle the rear surrounds off and on. The usual procedure would be to take the 4311 remote and use it to program the Harmony for use on the 4520. However, the command does not work with the 4520, nor does the 4520 have a way to toggle the rear surrounds in its menu structure. This has been discussed a number of times. The only way to turn off the rear surrounds (in music modes) is to remove the speakers in the speaker configuration menu, which is not ideal.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 07:18 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by user222 View Post
The complexity of the procedure and how I can help you it depends from 2 factors:
1. What harmony remote do you have.
2. If you have 2 harmony remotes (or more).

Give me these information and I will see how I can help you. If for instance you have any two of these harmony remotes below then the procedure for you it will be a joy, I can send you the commands ready and you will teach your harmony to use it and that's all:

Harmony ultimate,
Harmony touch,
Harmony 900,
Harmony one
OK, I am game. I have a Harmony One remote. I would like to be able to toggle the rear surrounds when in one of the music modes, e.g. PLIIx Music. Show me how, please.
kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 07:19 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
I have a 4311 in the bedroom, which supports a discrete command to toggle the rear surrounds off and on. The usual procedure would be to take the 4311 remote and use it to program the Harmony for use on the 4520. However, the command does not work with the 4520, nor does the 4520 have a way to toggle the rear surrounds in its menu structure. This has been discussed a number of times. The only way to turn off the rear surrounds (in music modes) is to remove the speakers in the speaker configuration menu, which is not ideal.
Ah - in that case, you are screwed by the sound of it (NPI). Unless user222 has a way...
batpig's Avatar batpig 08:06 AM 08-02-2014
I wish he would be less cryptic and simply explain what's going on. For example why does it matter what Harmony remote you have? They all can be taught a command.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:43 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
OK, I am game. I have a Harmony One remote. I would like to be able to toggle the rear surrounds when in one of the music modes, e.g. PLIIx Music. Show me how, please.
PLIIx Music uses the surrounds in that mode. So it makes no sense to even be able to turn them off. It wouldn't even sound right without the surrounds.

PLIIx, cinema and music, is designed to create a 5.1 or 7.1 sound field.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 12:26 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
PLIIx Music uses the surrounds in that mode. So it makes no sense to even be able to turn them off. It wouldn't even sound right without the surrounds.

PLIIx, cinema and music, is designed to create a 5.1 or 7.1 sound field.
It is a matter of preference, Aaron. I think the rear surrounds add just a little too much ambiance to two-channel music, so I prefer to turn them off. With previous Denon's, it was a simple remote keystroke. With the 4520, not so easy.
harrybnbad's Avatar harrybnbad 02:44 PM 08-02-2014
Are you looking for 2 channel stereo?
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 03:20 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
Are you looking for 2 channel stereo?
Don't understand the question, Harry.
johnny dollar's Avatar johnny dollar 12:55 PM 08-03-2014
I'm still working my way through the mysteries of the Zone 4 output, so I'm turning again to the experts here for an answer to this puzzle.

I thought if I set the Zone 4 output passthrough to DVR, it would always feed the DVR signal. And yet when I change the main zone to some other source, Zone 4 changes along with it. And I have to manually set it back to DVR. This seems to happen every time I change the main zone to a different source.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a 'feature' of the 4520? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can render.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:19 PM 08-03-2014
^^
Each zone should be independent of another. Try setting the unit to Standby and unplug for 10 minutes (soft reset).
Gordon-XZ71's Avatar Gordon-XZ71 02:40 PM 08-03-2014
Being that there are 200+ pages on this Receiver that I did not want to sift through, does anybody know when the replacement for the DENON AVR-4520 will be out ? My Integra 70.2 just crapped out and am in the market for something new.
batpig's Avatar batpig 02:44 PM 08-03-2014
Gordon- the lower level models and the higher level models are announced, see this thread: The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

The direct replacement is the X7200
johnny dollar's Avatar johnny dollar 02:58 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
^^
Each zone should be independent of another. Try setting the unit to Standby and unplug for 10 minutes (soft reset).
I will try that now, though I did spot this in the manual under troubleshooting:

symptom:
When the HDMI ZONE4 function is used and an operation is performed in MAIN ZONE, the following operations occur.
• The input source on this unit automatically changes.
solution:
• When the input source for ZONE4 is “SOURCE”, select an input source that is different from the one for MAIN ZONE.

That sounds like what's happening to me, though the 'solution' doesn't seem very helpful. The way it looks to me, they're saying if the input changes, change it back. Again I could be misunderstanding. I'm off to unplug my Denon. Thanks much.

EtA: After I unplugged the Denon for 10 minutes and powered everything up again, I was able to change the main zone input and Zone 4 stayed on DVR. You guys know your stuff. Thank you so much.
mustangchris04's Avatar mustangchris04 04:08 PM 08-03-2014
Is there a way to control a Denon bluray player with the AVR's remote? It has all the play/pause/stop/skip/up/down/left/right buttons so it would be nice to be able to to control the blueray as well. Specifically the DBT-3313
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:18 PM 08-03-2014
^^
Yes, the remote can be used to control a number of other devices (p. 157 Owner's manual).
mustangchris04's Avatar mustangchris04 05:10 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
^^
Yes, the remote can be used to control a number of other devices (p. 157 Owner's manual).
Thanks! I thought the AVR would be able to control over HDMI to the blueray player. Never thought about using the remote to send the IR command directly to the bluray.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:31 PM 08-03-2014
^^
The only thing HDMI-CEC does is turn the devices ON/OFF in the chain. Set HDMI Control to ON on the 4520CI.
PanManz's Avatar PanManz 08:00 PM 08-03-2014
I apologize if this has been covered off or is a stupid question but I have tried searching this thread and cannot find it. I want to control a Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector from my 4520 Denon remote. Is there a default ir id code that I can enter for Panasonic Projectors? The manual has no projector ir id's.
Gordon-XZ71's Avatar Gordon-XZ71 09:50 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Gordon- the lower level models and the higher level models are announced, see this thread: The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

The direct replacement is the X7200
Thanks, looks like all the info for the X7200 is not out yet. I am looking at the Yamaha 3040 or the Denon. Will have to wait a bit and see what the X7200 offers once it has been officially released.
Mark1000's Avatar Mark1000 02:58 AM 08-04-2014
I am puzzled. Yesterday I reran Audyssey on my 4520 because of some furniture rearrangements. As a first step I recalibrated my sub to be as close to a constant 75 dB as possible. Then I went through the whole series of measurements for all eight microphone positions. When finished, I checked all values. Most speakers were around 0 dB or a little above. Only my sub was -5dB. I would expect this to be (almost) exactly 0 dB as this is the purpose of calibrating to 75 dB in the first place. I know final testing is done 10 dB lower than reference, but this should make no difference as this is taken into account while calculating the final results. As far as I know, levels are measured at the first mic position; the same I used for calibrating my sub. Can anybody help me in understanding how this 5 dB difference can occur?
Mark
PeterK's Avatar PeterK 05:59 AM 08-04-2014
On the a Denon 4520 remote, is there a specific button used for CDs and BluRays to open the drawer or extract the disc? Probably a dumb question but there is no labeled button or assigned button when I program the unit. Seems weird that there is not a button just for that.
Guess I could program a macro button for that?
Nightlord's Avatar Nightlord 06:32 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
On the a Denon 4520 remote, is there a specific button used for CDs and BluRays to open the drawer or extract the disc? Probably a dumb question but there is no labeled button or assigned button when I program the unit. Seems weird that there is not a button just for that.
Exactly why would you open the drawer remotely? It's the most silly button ever on a remote - you will have to go to the player anyway to pick it...
user222's Avatar user222 06:42 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I wish he would be less cryptic and simply explain what's going on. For example why does it matter what Harmony remote you have? They all can be taught a command.
Dear batpig, please consider this scenario:
I can create an "open" harmony remote account (for harmony one for example, because I own this model) with only one device in it namely Denon Avr-4520. Because I already have the SurroundBackChannel command I can include this command in the device's commands. Any one who need this command and own harmony one model can login to this account, change the remote of the account to be his remote and then sync. So the command now should be in his remote. If happens and he owns a second harmony remote then it can teach it the command using the first remote. After that can bring his first remote in his normal condition using his own account. What do you think did I missed something?
That is why I asked for the harmony models, so I can create the "open" account, I don't have all the models of harmony remotes!
This is the easiest way to get the command in my opinion.
As a second but not so easy way I also have detailed instructions to create by himself any one is interested any command included in official avr-4520 ir list of codes and if the procedure is understood I ccan provide the hex code for any command. So I only wanted to help and not get mysterious!
Thank you.
Tags: Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
First ... 296  297  298 299  300  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop