The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9091 of 9097 Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Well the 4520 already has multiple sub EQ, so no difference with the new models.

Atmos is obviously the biggest change. The other meaningful changes are ancillary features like wifi, Bluetooth, digital audio to zones 2/3. But in most other respects the 4520 actually outclasses the 4100/5200 models, as its true replacement (physical size, amp quality, 32 bit processing architecture) will be the X7200W which will probably retail for around double what you can probably get the 4520 for.

So I guess I endorse your decision if you like "flagship" quality and don't give a hoot about Atmos the a steeply discounted 4520 seems like a sweet buy.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 9097 Old Today, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Well the 4520 already has multiple sub EQ, so no difference with the new models.

Atmos is obviously the biggest change. The other meaningful changes are ancillary features like wifi, Bluetooth, digital audio to zones 2/3. But in most other respects the 4520 actually outclasses the 4100/5200 models, as its true replacement (physical size, amp quality, 32 bit processing architecture) will be the X7200W which will probably retail for around double what you can probably get the 4520 for.

So I guess I endorse your decision if you like "flagship" quality and don't give a hoot about Atmos the a steeply discounted 4520 seems like a sweet buy.
I've been through a lot of receivers over the last few years (887/888/3310/4311/4520). I'm kinda glad the next Flagship won't be massively better for the same price.

I have a feeling it may be awhile until there are many Atmos Blu-rays. As it is there isn't a ton of DTS NEO:X. I'll probably pick up the next flagship when it releases...hopefully 2016/17 along with a 4K projector.

The only thing that concerns me is if Atmos takes off, I'm assuming the Blu-rays will be mastered with Atmos and Dolby TrueHD so I'd have only up to 7.1 information. If so, the Dolby processing is considerably older than NEO:X and I'd have to rely on Audyssey to uprez to 11.2, right?

All depends on if/when Atmos replaces DTS on Blu-ray. Since DTS-HD took off, Dolby TrueHD is practically extinct on new release Blu-rays. If a bunch of Atmos Blu's release next year and DTS goes away I might get pissy.

Last edited by Dreamliner; Today at 01:35 AM.
post #9093 of 9097 Old Today, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Thanks for this post batpig.

While I hate the fact that my 1 yr old avr technically is soon to be out done to some degree. It is one impressive avr. Which im glad I didn't pay full price for. I only wish denon would treat it like one of their flagship avr's in the past. I saw for a 1000 bucks, send it in for a new board and firmware upgrade. I know it was a few yrs ago. And it was over 2 times the price of the 4520. But I'd consider doing that with my 4520.

Until the 7200 comes out, I really feel anything less would just be a tease.

But damn, I want atmos.
post #9094 of 9097 Old Today, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I have a feeling it may be awhile until there are many Atmos Blu-rays. As it is there isn't a ton of DTS NEO:X.
Different things. Atmos is a codec, and movies are increasingly being mixed in Atmos. Neo:X is a surround upmixer and no movies are mixed in Neo:X. The proper comparison with Neo:X is Dolby Surround, which will mix legacy content to the full Atmos speaker set. So, although there aren't going to be many Atmos Blurays for a while, you would be able to use Dolby Surround to upmix all your current Blurays. By all accounts, DS is "very good".

Quote:
The only thing that concerns me is if Atmos takes off, I'm assuming the Blu-rays will be mastered with Atmos and Dolby TrueHD so I'd have only up to 7.1 information. If so, the Dolby processing is considerably older than NEO:X and I'd have to rely on Audyssey to uprez to 11.2, right?
Atmos Blurays use the TrueHD codec for delivery. If you have a non-Atmos AVR and an Atmos Bluray, you will get the 'core' TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 track and your system will play it just like it does now. The all-new Dolby Surround upmixer (which replaces ProLogic in Atmos units) will upmix to all your speakers, other than Wides, which are not currently supported.

Quote:
All depends on if/when Atmos replaces DTS on Blu-ray. Since DTS-HD took off, Dolby TrueHD is practically extinct on new release Blu-rays. If a bunch of Atmos Blu's release next year and DTS goes away I might get pissy.
All Atmos Blurays will feature TrueHD. DTS is paramount now because it is faster/easier for the disc authoring houses than TrueHD that's all. There is no difference between a TrueHD track and a DTS-HD MA track as far as the end user is concerned, so why would you be "pissy" if the discs you buy in the future feature TrueHD and not DTS-HD MA? To you, they are the same thing.
post #9095 of 9097 Old Today, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hdmi Pass Through on and off!

Hey guys,

Is there any way to turn on and off hdmi pass through with a press of a button without searching in the menu? I din't find anything in the remote code list. Is anything I can do? I don't want to turn on or off the hdmi control just the pass through functionality...

Thanks in advance
post #9096 of 9097 Old Today, 04:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
^^
Simply set the Video - HDMI Setup - HDMI Pass Through setting (p. 130 OM) to OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9097 of 9097 Old Today, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Simply set the Video - HDMI Setup - HDMI Pass Through setting (p. 130 OM) to OFF.
Dear jdsmoothie, thank you for your reply.

You mean to do this by navigating the menu? What I want is to turn on or off hdmi pass through without navigating the menu (because many times I want pass through to be turned off and some other times I need it to be turned on), just with the press of a button as we can turn on or off the Dynamic EQ for instance. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page