post #9121 of 9132 Old Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I've been through a lot of receivers over the last few years (887/888/3310/4311/4520). I'm kinda glad the next Flagship won't be massively better for the same price.
The price is actually somewhat higher, not $2499 for the x7200.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9132 Old Today, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Looking at the IR codes manual (linked on page 1 of this thread I think) there are discrete codes for:
HDMI Audio Out Select
HDMI Audio Out TV
HDMI Audio Out AVR

I don't know for sure - but I expect these would be for respectively:
Toggle Passthrough
Passthrough On
Passthrough Off

If someone (batpig?) knows for sure what those codes do let us know. If my guess is right might work for user222 provided he can teach his remote some codes
Unfortunately that won't do the trick -- those settings apply to the "HDMI Audio" setting which controls behavior when the receiver is powered on. This settings toggles between passing the HDMI audio through (unprocessed) to the TV vs. having the HDMI audio stripped and processed and only video passed to the display. It doesn't have anything to do with Standby Passthrough.

However, like I said above, it's a total non-issue. The correct solution is to simply not worry about it and leave Standby Passthrough turned on all the time because the incremental power consumption is negligible.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9123 of 9132 Old Today, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just wanted to let everyone know I have my 4520 in a rack and have cooling fans that I want triggered to turn on/off with the 4520. I got a triggered outlet device that was supposed to be controlled by the 4520's 3.5mm triggers but I could never get it to work. I tried off and on to get it working for over a year. I always just ended up pressing the switch on the device to manually turn on/off the fans.

I never figured out why it didn't work, but every time I brought it up, everyone just said to get a smart switch. I finally bought one, this one. It is FANTASTIC!

I connected the receiver to the 'Master' outlet and the fans to the 'On/Off with Master' outlet and viola! My fans now turn on/off with my system (the 4520 pulls enough juice to trigger the outlets). CyberPower is based in Minnesota, about 30 minutes from my house actually. Quite possibly the best $16.52 I've spent!

Last edited by Dreamliner; Today at 05:08 PM.
post #9124 of 9132 Old Today, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Well the 4520 already has multiple sub EQ, so no difference with the new models.

Atmos is obviously the biggest change. The other meaningful changes are ancillary features like wifi, Bluetooth, digital audio to zones 2/3. But in most other respects the 4520 actually outclasses the 4100/5200 models, as its true replacement (physical size, amp quality, 32 bit processing architecture) will be the X7200W which will probably retail for around double what you can probably get the 4520 for.

So I guess I endorse your decision if you like "flagship" quality and don't give a hoot about Atmos the a steeply discounted 4520 seems like a sweet buy.
thanks Batpig!
post #9125 of 9132 Old Today, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In relation to the 4520’s Airplay feature, I was aware at the time I bought the AVR, that it could only stream audio (I understand the 2013 models can now stream video?).

I recall reading something not too long ago that the restriction was software related and as such, there were discussions that this (Airplay video & audio streaming) maybe something that could be added via a fw update.

Just wondered whether anyone else had heard anything on whether Airplay video streaming may be added retrospectively?

Thanks.
post #9126 of 9132 Old Today, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 689
If you want AirPlay video streaming, get an AppleTV. It is less than $100 and works great.
post #9127 of 9132 Old Today, 06:08 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Was_There_Then View Post
In relation to the 4520’s Airplay feature, I was aware at the time I bought the AVR, that it could only stream audio (I understand the 2013 models can now stream video?).

I recall reading something not too long ago that the restriction was software related and as such, there were discussions that this (Airplay video & audio streaming) maybe something that could be added via a fw update.

Just wondered whether anyone else had heard anything on whether Airplay video streaming may be added retrospectively?

Thanks.
None of the current AVRs with Airplay can stream video as Apple has never licensed video, rather only audio.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9128 of 9132 Old Today, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow,
I've only owned my 4520 for a few months now and I see it is already outdated
I'm really enjoying the upgrade from my previous 4810ci. The 4520 is much more stable
than the 4810 was with it's network card issues. It is hard to discern a big difference in the sound except for the Audyssey upgrade. It seems my subs sound better now.
I have several Emotiva amps because I typically overheat (protection mode) my receivers when using only the internal amps. After adding the amps, I only power the heights and wides with the internal receiver amps and the receiver runs much cooler. Only warm to the touch now.
(Yes, I listen to music/movies much louder than the typical person)

I don't buy as many Blu Rays as I used to. Typically only "Hollywood Blockbuster" Action Flicks in 3D. I purchased a OPPO103D and keep Darbee set at 35% and it seems to make Netflix movies
pretty darn clear..I listen to iTunes through AppleTV and it sounds great in Multi Channel Music mode. Almost as good as my CD collection. In fact, I can hardly tell any difference between the two. With my Movie collection starting to dwindle, and my music sounding better than ever through the 4520, is it worth upgrading to the new receiver when it comes out?
Advice Appreciated...
Blessings,Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4285.jpg (130.6 KB, 4 views)

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
post #9129 of 9132 Old Today, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
The 4520 is only outdated if you want Atmos. See a few posts above yours where we were just discussing this.
Spizz and Glock3540 like this.
post #9130 of 9132 Old Today, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If you want AirPlay video streaming, get an AppleTV. It is less than $100 and works great.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had contemplated that, though given it is relatively rare that I have the desire to stream video from the ipad, I had resisted. Perhaps I'll just bite the bullet and go down the Apple TV route.

Thanks
post #9131 of 9132 Old Today, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Besides the video streaming, there are a ton of other apps, including a great Netflix client, that make the ATV a good investment, especially for the price.

But we are off-topic...
post #9132 of 9132 Old Today, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Besides the video streaming, there are a ton of other apps, including a great Netflix client, that make the ATV a good investment, especially for the price.

But we are off-topic...
Thanks AustinJerry,

(without wanting to further direct the thread off-topic), I currently use the PS3 and PS4 for Netflix, Hulu, BBC etc, plus playing files from the NAS etc. Therefore, I had thought the Apple TV would be rarely used. However, given the integration with the Mac, ipads and iphones, it probably makes sense to just pick one up, given its price point.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page