The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 306 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9151 of 9158 Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 678
If you have your 4520 connected to a UPS that can be an option too. I use an APC UPS with my 4520. I have the 4520 connected to the Master outlet and my fan connected to a slave outlet. WHich allows the fan to automatically turn on/off with the 4520.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9158 Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figarou View Post
The Panamax M8-AV-PRO has a 12 volt trigger. I'm using that and it works fine for my cooling fans.

http://www.panamax.com/Products/Floo...p#tab_features
I have a SurgeX which has a remote, but it applies to almost all the outlets. I tried, a few times, to figure it out with my device. No such luck. I wish they made a device exactly like this with a 1/8" remote connector. Oh well. Working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you have your 4520 connected to a UPS that can be an option too. I use an APC UPS with my 4520. I have the 4520 connected to the Master outlet and my fan connected to a slave outlet. WHich allows the fan to automatically turn on/off with the 4520.
I use a APC Smart-UPS 1500VA in my system, but it is connected into a handful of devices also.

I had devices that could get the job done, but they were performing other functions and at the end of the day, I needed a specific device for a remote triggered outlet....or you know, Denon just to have left the triggered outlet on the receiver.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-29-2014 at 09:51 PM.
post #9153 of 9158 Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post
Just picked up my 4520 and it's still sitting in the box. I don't need atmos but my computer is downstairs and the theater is upstairs. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problem without wifi. I'm assuming I can update firmware through usb? What utility is wifi and bluetooth in the receiever? Is there a bluetooth adapter that works with this model if needed? I'm hooking it up with a projector and blu-ray player
Sorry, but firmware updates by USB is not possible at this time. Most any 3rd party Wifi router that can be set to "bridge" mode can be used while for Bluetooth you can use a 3rd party Bluetooth adapter (although if you use DLNA, likely no reason for Bluetooth).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9154 of 9158 Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
585-645-1006

Dialog Enhancer

The Dialog Enhancer setting didn't get much fanfare in this thread, but the setting is dropping down to the X5200W and will also likely pass to the X7200W. Does anyone find this setting helpful?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #9155 of 9158 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 678
If I'm thinking about the right setting, I think it seems to increase the volume of the center channel. I just know I don't need to use it in my setup.
post #9156 of 9158 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The Dialog Enhancer setting didn't get much fanfare in this thread, but the setting is dropping down to the X5200W and will also likely pass to the X7200W. Does anyone find this setting helpful?
While testing my denon without the emotiva xpa5, I got tempted to use this, and although the xpa 5 doesn't make it louder it adds some extra oomph to the lower mids the denon some might feel lacking and dialog enhancer is a feature that can help, especially at lower volumes.

The emo may be superflous, but I like the sound coming out of this combo, and I am lucky enough to have housemates who is ok with me watching movies at -15 to -10 mv levels.

I believe a receiver has a lot of features because they have to be army knife units that can do very different things for different users.
Because I don't need to use one doesn't mean it isn't a good feature and it certainly perform better than just bumping the volume on the center channel as some do.
post #9157 of 9158 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Sorry, but firmware updates by USB is not possible at this time. Most any 3rd party Wifi router that can be set to "bridge" mode can be used while for Bluetooth you can use a 3rd party Bluetooth adapter (although if you use DLNA, likely no reason for Bluetooth).
thanks, I didn't need too much convincing. I'm ready to play with my new toy
post #9158 of 9158 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
If I'm thinking about the right setting, I think it seems to increase the volume of the center channel. I just know I don't need to use it in my setup.
Sure. However, I believe this is more than just a center channel volume setting, rather it is supposed to focus only on the human voice frequency range (ie. 300Hz - 3Khz).

post #9159 of 9158 Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
To be clear, because it's a bit confusing, the lower level models have a "Dialogue Level" setting that is simply a proxy for center channel volume.

The 4520CI however (and now the X5200W) have a feature called "Dialogue Enhancer" which isn't just a level adjustment, but actually modulates the freq response of the center channel to (theoretically) enhance dialogue clarity.

Jerry actually measured the effect in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430049/th...#post_22520305

I'm planning to try it out for late night listening on my 5200, as there are times when I'm listening at such low volume to keep effects in check (even with DV on heaviest setting) that dialogue becomes a big hard to pick out. It's especially tricky with congested action movie soundtracks because the DV volume clamping also lowers the dialogue with the rest of the volume when the action gets heavy.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page