The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 309 - AVS Forum
First ... 307  308  309 310  311  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread
na300zx's Avatar na300zx 10:10 AM 09-04-2014
I agree. I guess it really puts a strain on the independents when a customer searches the price and finds out a major retailer sold it for less than half of the normal sales price. Nonetheless, someone help me make a decision between replacing my Onkyo with the 4520!

ellisr63's Avatar ellisr63 10:37 AM 09-04-2014
I think BB, and Amazon were just blowing out there inventory anticipating the new models coming in.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 10:37 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I scored 3 units at that price. 2 From Best Buy ($ 900 + 10% Points) and 1 From Amazon (1k). Glad prices returned to normal. Time to flip to my clients and make some money. Hopefully the prices will stabilize long enough to flip next week. Got shipping confirmation on all 3. I have one sold for $ 1500.00 + install labor. One is for my Brother. The other I reached out to clients today.
Do you have trouble sleeping at night?
Stonedcl's Avatar Stonedcl 10:45 AM 09-04-2014
I just went to best buy and no BB in the tri state area have them in stock.. After speaking with the store manager (great lady in Paramus NJ) she was able to order one from the factory for me and was able to honey the $999 price, I used my moving coupon and the gave me a additional $20 off for opening a BB card and they also gave me 0% for 24 months. I paid $949 OTD w/tax and 0% interest for 2 years..
I really hope I made the right choice, I was waiting for the 4100 but at this price I could not go wrong. Does anyone recommend a Bluetooth device to stream , which one works the best?
Surfdrifter's Avatar Surfdrifter 10:55 AM 09-04-2014
Hi. I have A2030 Yamaha and I have my setup calibrated from a professional. I have an opportunity of selling the a2030 and buying a new Denon 4520 with practically the same money. Does this sidegrade worth it? A friend of mine told me that the Denon is better in music playback.

Also, it's important to me if i can copy the PEQ settings from my Yamaha and paste them to the Denon, since all other equipment stay the same. The sub is the SB13 and it has already its own calibrated peq.

Also, the a2030 was working as a preamp with an emotiva xpa-5 gen2. The same will be with the Denon.

I really don't want to flush the money paid for calibration, since i really like how my setup sound, but if i can have a better sound with virtually paying 0 money, there is no reason not to do it.

Thank you for you input, in advance
blackssr's Avatar blackssr 11:00 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Do you have trouble sleeping at night?
Why would I have trouble sleeping at night? It is my business, I jump on deals I can make money with.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:01 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdrifter View Post
Hi. I have A2030 Yamaha and I have my setup calibrated from a professional. I have an opportunity of selling the a2030 and buying a new Denon 4520 with practically the same money. Does this sidegrade worth it? A friend of mine told me that the Denon is better in music playback.

Also, it's important to me if i can copy the PEQ settings from my Yamaha and paste them to the Denon, since all other equipment stay the same. The sub is the SB13 and it has already its own calibrated peq.

Also, the a2030 was working as a preamp with an emotiva xpa-5 gen2. The same will be with the Denon.

I really don't want to flush the money paid for calibration, since i really like how my setup sound, but if i can have a better sound with virtually paying 0 money, there is no reason not to do it.

Thank you for you input, in advance
Two different EQ programs ... Yamaha uses YPAO while Denon uses Audyssey so no copying from one to the other; however XT32 will likely do a better job anyway. Unless you mean YPAO is turned OFF and just using the manual EQ. You could copy those numbers but XT32 will still do a better job.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 11:05 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Why would I have trouble sleeping at night? It is my business, I jump on deals I can make money with.
Fine, but why you feel compelled to share your business practices in this thread is not clear to me.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:11 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Fine, but why you feel compelled to share your business practices in this thread is not clear to me.
Doesn't any business sell products for more than it cost them? Otherwise they wouldn't stay in business long. Look at Apple and how low their products cost yet how much they mark them up.
Surfdrifter's Avatar Surfdrifter 11:16 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Two different EQ programs ... Yamaha uses YPAO while Denon uses Audyssey so no copying from one to the other; however XT32 will likely do a better job anyway. Unless you mean YPAO is turned OFF and just using the manual EQ. You could copy those numbers but XT32 will still do a better job.
Yes. As i said,i paid a professional to calibrate my system, so the YPAO is set to Off and it is set to manual. That what i meant, copying the values of each band to the Denon.

But, why are you so sure that the XT32 would do a better job than a professional?

Thank you again for the very prompt answer!
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:19 AM 09-04-2014
^^
The manual Graphic EQ capability on the AVR is unlikely to perform as well as XT32; however, you can very easily copy the numbers you have to it and then run Audyssey with the mic and test one vs. the other and use the one you prefer.
blackssr's Avatar blackssr 11:23 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post
I believe Austin Jerry was one early adopters of the 4520!!
So it's not envy but shrinkage?
batpig's Avatar batpig 11:26 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Fine, but why you feel compelled to share your business practices in this thread is not clear to me.
Seriously. Bragging about how his clients don't know any better so he can gouge them. Classy.

Probably should keep that to himself.
batpig's Avatar batpig 11:27 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdrifter View Post
Hi. I have A2030 Yamaha and I have my setup calibrated from a professional. I have an opportunity of selling the a2030 and buying a new Denon 4520 with practically the same money. Does this sidegrade worth it? A friend of mine told me that the Denon is better in music playback.

Also, it's important to me if i can copy the PEQ settings from my Yamaha and paste them to the Denon, since all other equipment stay the same. The sub is the SB13 and it has already its own calibrated peq.

Also, the a2030 was working as a preamp with an emotiva xpa-5 gen2. The same will be with the Denon.

I really don't want to flush the money paid for calibration, since i really like how my setup sound, but if i can have a better sound with virtually paying 0 money, there is no reason not to do it.

Thank you for you input, in advance
If you aren't going to use the primary differentiating feature -- audyssey calibration -- then it's not worth the switch. Keep what you have.
blackssr's Avatar blackssr 11:48 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Seriously. Bragging about how his clients don't know any better so he can gouge them. Classy.

Probably should keep that to himself.
How is this gouging them? I purchased at a low price and will sell to them the same as Best Buy or Amazon. Some of you guys make me laugh. These people are Doctors and Lawyers. Talk about gouging. Last post on this. Back on Topic.
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 12:15 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
That's because BB and Amazon got their hands slapped for dropping the price like that and were told to raise it. OUCH!!! Hopefully no warranty issues for those who did buy.
UPDATE**

I went in my closest local store today and mentioned yesterday's price
They grimaced a little bit about the price and then said ok
Then the question was if they could even find a unit. Chicago dist center that feeds my area was completely sold out as was every store that had had any stock
I told the guy the only reason I didnt buy it online was because the 10% movers coupon stated "in store only"

So..anyway..long story short they found a unit in some Best Buy dist center somewhere in the United States after a 30 minute hunt
So..they adjusted the price to yesterday..applied the 10% additional off coupon and then they applied $40 in reward zone points I had
Somewhere in the transaction the guy made a mistake and had to rering it again
He apologized and said he would give me my $40.00 back in reward zone points and then knock another $40.00 off the price of the receiver to compensate me....since I had been waiting for more than 30 minutes to get the transaction done
So..net after all the myriad of discounts was $770 or so plus tax

Great customer service..IMO



Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I doubt that. Denon needs Amazon and Best Buy more than Amazon and Best Buy need Denon.
EXACTLY!!

how many hundreds, if not thousands of units did Best Buy and Amazon sell yesterday do you think...

who is the tail and who is the dog..lol


Warren
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 12:31 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Doesn't any business sell products for more than it cost them? .
not always on every single item...if you are talking the big retailers

At points they price things ( at cost or below) to get you in the store to buy more profitable items

or blow out old inventory to make room for new
as they should be allowed to do

I am not a believer in UPP as you can probably tell

I think B&M should be able to sell for whatever price they want to

if they want to practically give away a Tv to make 5000% on the cables they typically sell with every TV
They should be able to...you as a consumer can choose to buy it or not

if the retailer doesn't turn a profit they wont last
that will take care of itself in time in any business

Warren
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 12:34 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
I just went to best buy and no BB in the tri state area have them in stock.. After speaking with the store manager (great lady in Paramus NJ) she was able to order one from the factory for me and was able to honey the $999 price, I used my moving coupon and the gave me a additional $20 off for opening a BB card and they also gave me 0% for 24 months. I paid $949 OTD w/tax and 0% interest for 2 years..
I really hope I made the right choice, I was waiting for the 4100 but at this price I could not go wrong. Does anyone recommend a Bluetooth device to stream , which one works the best?
it seems they have honored yesterdays price for several people now

again..great customer service

Warren
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 01:05 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post
Ordered the 4520 last night and plan to post my Onkyo-818 on Ebay. Although, I can't really say that I have made up my mind on if this is much of an upgrade. The sub EQ is one advantage, which I previously compensated for via the "sub crawl" and using an SPL meter. I have always been fond of Denon receivers, but the price point has always been out of reach for me. Honestly, I do not really see me going any further than the 5.2 setup I have now with Polk Monitor 75T Monitor towers,Polk CS2, Polk 45b and (2) Dayton-1200 subs. I MAY go to 7.1 at some point, but highly doubtful. Also, do you see 4k and hdcp 2.2 completely forcing people to ditch this older receivers within the next two years? I know 4k is in the early stages with regards to content. Help me make up my mind if this will be a worth upgrade!

Thanks!
I suspect you will like this better than the Onkyo 818.

I had the Onkyo TX-NR1007 and purchased the Onkyo 818 to try Audyssey XT32. I sold the 818 within a couple weeks. I felt the 1007 was the superior unit in both amplifer power, sound dsp options (THX ultra modes), and dual sub control with multisub HT. The 1007 felt, sounded, and seemed of higher quality, even with it's lesser Audyssey multi eq XT. I think this Denon 'should' be a step up from my old 1007.

I'm actually planning on selling my current Onkyo PR-SC5508 for this. I've been around the block on equipment and honestly I can't really tell much if any difference between the best amps and cheapest. I had a Sherbourn 7-350 and sold it because in reality it didn't sound any different to me than my previous Onkyo TX-NR1007 did. Specifically - the Onkyo PR-SC5508 didn't sound any different to me powering the Sherbourn 7-350 audiophile amplifier vs my Onkyo 1007 did with it's internal amps. I'm running high sensitivity JTR speakers - but I can put money back in my pocket by selling off my amps and prepro, so this deal was too good to skip.
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 01:18 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I suspect you will like this better than the Onkyo 818.

I had the Onkyo TX-NR1007 and purchased the Onkyo 818 to try Audyssey XT32. I sold the 818 within a couple weeks. I felt the 1007 was the superior unit in both amplifer power, sound dsp options (THX ultra modes), and dual sub control with multisub HT. The 1007 felt, sounded, and seemed of higher quality, even with it's lesser Audyssey multi eq XT. I think this Denon 'should' be a step up from my old 1007.

I'm actually planning on selling my current Onkyo PR-SC5508 for this. I've been around the block on equipment and honestly I can't really tell much if any difference between the best amps and cheapest. I had a Sherbourn 7-350 and sold it because in reality it didn't sound any different to me than my previous Onkyo TX-NR1007 did. Specifically - the Onkyo PR-SC5508 didn't sound any different to me with the Sherbourn 7-350 audiophile amplifier than my 1007 did with it's internal amps. I'm running high sensitivity JTR speakers - but I can put money back in my pocket by selling off my amps and pre-amps and this deal was too good to skip.
this is a perfect example of how different scenarios work differently for people

I have( had) a similar set up to you..though I never had the Onkyo 1007 or 818

I did have an older Onkyo preamp...885
The 5508 with XT32 was definite step up the "realism" sound of home theater...a fact that I guess can be attributed to Xt32
However...neither unit sounds as good for 2 channel music as an older pre-HDMI Chiro preamp I had
I have had the same Sherbourn 5/1500A amp for years with several changes in preamp
Ditto for the Atlantic technology 350 system speakers
In the old house I had a basement home theater that was 18x24....and I used to play at reference levels with never a sweat or even warmness from the Sherbourn

The new house I am using a bonus room above the garage as a media room and it it not nearly that large....like 15x18 or so
So...I am sure I "could" use an AVR now...since at the same level of volume I played at the other house would now be pretty obnoxious
but..I have it now so I will just probably leave it as is and get a new pre-amp here at some point

Warren
Skrill's Avatar Skrill 01:58 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
There will be no warranty issues for those who bought. There is consumer protection laws in nearly every state. If BB gave them away for $1 and it said 3 Yr Warranty it is still in effect. Unless they suddenly became an unauthorized seller.
I would note that a retailer can sell a unit they own for whatever price they like -- and antitrust laws provide stiff penalties (including prison) for distributors that try to forcibly prevent competitive market pricing. Denon can terminate their distribution agreements going forward with Amazon and BB -- but they can't demand that either retailer sell for no less than X price.

Also, I am confident that all warranties would have to be honored. I have looked at the Denon written warranty (when I bought my X4000) -- and as I recall it only requires that the units be bought new and from an authorized dealer. I would note that the warranties do purport to be non-transferable (although I don't know if that is an enforceable provision in all states).
Stonedcl's Avatar Stonedcl 02:03 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
UPDATE**

I went in my closest local store today and mentioned yesterday's price
They grimaced a little bit about the price and then said ok
Then the question was if they could even find a unit. Chicago dist center that feeds my area was completely sold out as was every store that had had any stock
I told the guy the only reason I didnt buy it online was because the 10% movers coupon stated "in store only"

So..anyway..long story short they found a unit in some Best Buy dist center somewhere in the United States after a 30 minute hunt
So..they adjusted the price to yesterday..applied the 10% additional off coupon and then they applied $40 in reward zone points I had
Somewhere in the transaction the guy made a mistake and had to rering it again
He apologized and said he would give me my $40.00 back in reward zone points and then knock another $40.00 off the price of the receiver to compensate me....since I had been waiting for more than 30 minutes to get the transaction done
So..net after all the myriad of discounts was $770 or so plus tax

Great customer service..IMO





EXACTLY!!

how many hundreds, if not thousands of units did Best Buy and Amazon sell yesterday do you think...

who is the tail and who is the dog..lol


Warren
Is your math correct?
$1000 - 10% = $900 - $40 = 860 - another $40 $820. Unless you are saying he gave you another $40 in rewards which would be $780?? I could have gotten it for $900 + tax and got $90 rewards cash or $880 with 0% for 2 years so I took the 0%.
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 04:37 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Is your math correct?
$1000 - 10% = $900 - $40 = 860 - another $40 $820. Unless you are saying he gave you another $40 in rewards which would be $780?? I could have gotten it for $900 + tax and got $90 rewards cash or $880 with 0% for 2 years so I took the 0%.

you are right..he did
it was actually $774( after all discounts and reward rebates) plus tax

I knew it was about $770 as I said before and there is some rounding etc that makes your number higher

I took the 10% rewards since I didn't need the interest free financing

I have seen posts today where people bought multiples of these yesterday

Warren
mnc's Avatar mnc 04:52 PM 09-04-2014
Just joined the club! Was thinking about getting a new subwoofer but I just couldn't pass up this deal.
Guess I have a lot of reading to do as this is my first audyssey receiver!
mecmec's Avatar mecmec 05:25 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
That's because BB and Amazon got their hands slapped for dropping the price like that and were told to raise it. OUCH!!!
I, literally, Laughed out loud when I read this...
yeah, I think that's what happened. And hopefully everyone that bought one from an authorized dealer won't have any "warranty issues"...
Dreamliner's Avatar Dreamliner 05:50 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
I, literally, Laughed out loud when I read this...
yeah, I think that's what happened. And hopefully everyone that bought one from an authorized dealer won't have any "warranty issues"...
I think he was just a little frustrated. The AVS guys make money when we buy from them. 99% of the time they will price match a competitor, but the BB deal was waaay below cost and I'm sure anyone that was on the edge bought one yesterday.

It is important that we support the AVS sales guys. A quick phone call to JD or any of the other AVS guys before buying something elsewhere can't hurt. I picked up a Denon AVR-E400 yesterday, but called Mike at AVS first to see if he could price match. These guys feed their families by supporting the forum, return the favor.
Stonedcl's Avatar Stonedcl 06:03 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I think he was just a little frustrated. The AVS guys make money when we buy from them. 99% of the time they will price match a competitor, but the BB deal was waaay below cost and I'm sure anyone that was on the edge bought one yesterday.

It is important that we support the AVS sales guys. A quick phone call to JD or any of the other AVS guys before buying something elsewhere can't hurt. I picked up a Denon AVR-E400 yesterday, but called Mike at AVS first to see if he could price match. These guys feed their families by supporting the forum, return the favor.
Yeah I do like to support the little guys and I was actually waiting for avs to get the 4100 but I thought about it and I am not going atmos, have a 4k tv but the hdmi 2.0 will be pointless without hdcp 2.2 and the blue,tooth is nice but I will just buy a aftermarket Bluetooth transponder.. This deal was too great to pass up , it was cheaper then I was going to get a 4000 for..
Dreamliner's Avatar Dreamliner 06:07 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Yeah I do like to support the little guys and I was actually waiting for avs to get the 4100 but I thought about it and I am not going atmos, have a 4k tv but the hdmi 2.0 will be pointless without hdcp 2.2 and the blue,tooth is nice but I will just buy a aftermarket Bluetooth transponder.. This deal was too great to pass up , it was cheaper then I was going to get a 4000 for..
I'll probably keep the 4520 until the next cycle when all the 'new' technologies settle.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:22 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I think he was just a little frustrated. The AVS guys make money when we buy from them. 99% of the time they will price match a competitor, but the BB deal was waaay below cost and I'm sure anyone that was on the edge bought one yesterday.

It is important that we support the AVS sales guys. A quick phone call to JD or any of the other AVS guys before buying something elsewhere can't hurt. I picked up a Denon AVR-E400 yesterday, but called Mike at AVS first to see if he could price match. These guys feed their families by supporting the forum, return the favor.
Frustrated? To be sure as what they did was not sanctioned by D&M. Was I telling the truth about BB/Amazon. Yup. Authorized dealers are required to list the current MSRP/UAP on a website which is different from what BB/Amazon might actually sell it for.
mecmec's Avatar mecmec 06:42 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I think he was just a little frustrated. The AVS guys make money when we buy from them. 99% of the time they will price match a competitor, but the BB deal was waaay below cost and I'm sure anyone that was on the edge bought one yesterday.

It is important that we support the AVS sales guys. A quick phone call to JD or any of the other AVS guys before buying something elsewhere can't hurt. I picked up a Denon AVR-E400 yesterday, but called Mike at AVS first to see if he could price match. These guys feed their families by supporting the forum, return the favor.
I totally get that! Really, I do! I have referred more people to avs than I care to count. It was just a little out of character (and out of line imo) for jdsmoothie to post the FUD that "people may have warranty issues" because they bought at that price! jdsmoothie is usually a class act!
Tags: Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
First ... 307  308  309 310  311  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop