Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
What if you bought their best warranty?
Does that change anything?
Hurts the argument, even more. Their "best" warranty provides for very specific options, should something happen. And none of those lead to a "new flagship product" just because whatever you bought was damaged/failed.
Johnla likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Would that rule out temporarily routing a cable external to the walls just to rule out the cable as being the issue? Or is the distance too great?
Too far to the TV without going through walls, but I can and will try this with the projector. I've got another cable coming from Monoprice, along with some short HDMI extenders to take the strain of my heavy cables off the 4520 jacks.
post #9633 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Big frownie face emoticon here.

Lose the entitlement attitude. All they'd need to do is replace it with another 4520 if yours came damaged -- or refund your money. They owe you nothing else. Why would they substitute the next flagship, when the only reason you bought this flagship was the stellar sale? You need to rethink.......everything.
I don't believe I need to rethink anything. Yes, they owe me exactly what I purchased and what they sold me. I specifically asked if there was enough stock available to replace my 4520 should it come DOA, as I have been told otherwise. They guaranteed me that there was. So I do feel they should honor their agreement. They could have simply told me no, there is not enough stock, so you may be stuck with your purchase or you may return it, I'd be happy with that. But they didn't say that, they "guaranteed" me, their words.

I'm an elite plus member, did I ask for this status or recognition? No, they gave it to me, it was entirely their idea. I spend enough money in their store to merit such an elevated status in their view. Every time I have an issue with a purchase, order, exchange or price match the first thing they do is ask about my membership or lack of. Their attitude goes from uninterested in helping me, and then after looking at my past purchase history, their attitude changes to lets do what we can to keep you as customer. That tells me they are interested in helping me only if it benefits them, by keeping my money in their stores. I don't like his model, especially when I've been told countless times by BB management that Best Buy considers themselves committed to providing the best customer service in the industry to every customer. I am entitled to stellar customer service and BB would agree with me. I am entitled to the truth when I ask a question. Best Buy hasn't screwed this up yet (although they have a record of doing so with my other transactions), so I am not complaining, I am simply stating that for them to offer a great deal and be unable to deliver on that deal after accepting my money and guaranteeing me delivery of a working product is not an acceptable outcome.

I'm not trying to troll ya, I just really hate bad customer service, because its everywhere nowadays and BB used to be great. I think the price is illrevent, if they cant deliver on what was promised after accepting payment they should provide a product comparable in features and design. Refunding should be the customers choice, getting the customer what they purchased or something close to it is BB's obligation. That goes for anything, $10 or $100,000. That is customer service 101.
AVSF458 likes this.

Denon 4520CI on order - Polk 9.3 w/ wides
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
DIY sealed 15" x2 sub build almost started

Last edited by AlphaPie; Yesterday at 06:48 AM.
post #9634 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i have one i bought a few days ago and dont think i am going to use if my x4000 doesnt sell. if any one around cincinnati area wants to meet up i sale if for $1000
post #9635 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
This is what I was talking about for purchasing warranty.
Sometimes it helps. This is where BB makes money and the employees get a little "extra" in their pockets. This is from the "deals" thread about the 4520.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1410801170989.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	263922  
post #9636 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I don't believe I need to rethink anything. Yes, they owe me exactly what I purchased and what they sold me. I specifically asked if there was enough stock available to replace my 4520 should it come DOA, as I have been told otherwise. They guaranteed me that there was. So I do feel they should honor their agreement. They could have simply told me no, there is not enough stock, so you may be stuck with your purchase or you may return it, I'd be happy with that. But they didn't say that, they "guaranteed" me, their words.

I'm an elite plus member, did I ask for this status or recognition? No, they gave it to me, it was entirely their idea. I spend enough money in their store to merit such an elevated status in their view. Every time I have an issue with a purchase, order, exchange or price match the first thing they do is ask about my membership or lack of. Their attitude goes from uninterested in helping me, and then after looking at my past purchase history, their attitude changes to lets do what we can to keep you as customer. That tells me they are interested in helping me only if it benefits them, by keeping my money in their stores. I don't like his model, especially when I've been told countless times by BB management that Best Buy considers themselves committed to providing the best customer service in the industry to every customer. I am entitled to stellar customer service and BB would agree with me. I am entitled to the truth when I ask a question. Best Buy hasn't screwed this up yet (although they have a record of doing so with my other transactions), so I am not complaining, I am simply stating that for them to offer a great deal and be unable to deliver on that deal after accepting my money and guaranteeing me delivery of a working product is not an acceptable outcome.

I'm not trying to troll ya, I just really hate bad customer service, because its everywhere nowadays and BB used to be great. I think the price is illrevent, if they cant deliver on what was promised after accepting payment they should provide a product comparable in features and design. Refunding should be the customers choice, getting the customer what they purchased or something close to it is BB's obligation. That goes for anything, $10 or $100,000. That is customer service 101.
If you paid $999 for a receiver I think the best you are going to get would be a replacement 4520, your money back or store credit for the amount of your purchase regardless of your Best Buy status. I am an Elite Plus member (which I didn't ask for either) and wouldn't expect anything more.

I bought a warranty on a $2700 tv once. The tv died after 3 years and there was no replacement for it. They gave me store credit for the original purchase price.
Johnla likes this.
post #9637 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
This is what I was talking about for purchasing warranty.
Sometimes it helps. This is where BB makes money and the employees get a little "extra" in their pockets. This is from the "deals" thread about the 4520.
The 4 year plan is $150. BB claimed that they would refund the money or give me a comparable current model if mine was unrepairable. Not sure if that means the new flagship or not. I am also considering purchasing their protection plan. I think their own fine print defines the plan as a protection or replacement plan, so they may in fact replace it with a current flag ship.

Last edited by AlphaPie; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
post #9638 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I think the last time I did that with a receiver was the early 90's!
Yeah - I ran out of banana plugs while building patch cables
I have an AV rack in a separate room from the HT, with the in-wall/in-ceiling wires all running back to a patch panel in the top of the rack that has binding posts for each speaker.

It seemed easer when I was installing things (I have the rack ears on the 4520 and it is bolted into the rack) to just attach the cables (bare wire) to the binding posts before I put it in the rack, then use the banana plugs on the other end to go to the patch panel.

I am sure once I get everything installed and working (still have to program the URC remotes to make wife happy) I will go back and put the binding posts on the other end of the cables

Bill
post #9639 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post
Too far to the TV without going through walls, but I can and will try this with the projector. I've got another cable coming from Monoprice, along with some short HDMI extenders to take the strain of my heavy cables off the 4520 jacks.

I would certainly recommend the Redmere cables from Monoprice - especially for longer runs. They are much lighter than the traditional HDMI cables and don't strain the HDMI jacks nearly as much.

Bill
post #9640 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
The 4 year plan is $150. BB claimed that they would refund the money or give me a comparable current model if mine was unrepairable. Not sure if that means the new flagship or not. I am also considering purchasing their protection plan. I think their own fine print defines the plan as a protection or replacement plan, so they may in fact replace it with a current flag ship.
Up to actual purchase price? or the current flagship @ 2-3k. I know that Square Trade will only give back up to purchase price. Not a dime more.
post #9641 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Up to actual purchase price? or the current flagship @ 2-3k. I know that Square Trade will only give back up to purchase price. Not a dime more.
I spoke to the magnolia lead in my local store and he indicated that he would replace it with a comparable model (should it be completely dead and unrepairable), regardless of what I originally paid. I asked does that mean the next flagship? He responded by saying that the next ones up the line like x4100 and on are so feature rich that likely I would get a model just below the flagship since it would very comparable in features. I felt and suspect there is room to negotiate on what model it would be should I claim a replacement. I'd rather have the 4520 repaired in any case, the independently assignable amps is something only their flagship model has, I believe.

post #9642 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ummmmm, you best read some of the fine print of Best Buys protection plans about what their obligations are. And pay attention to how they use the words of "at our option" as far as replacing, and also "current market value" if they decide to only give you a payout instead.

And at the end, there is the big gotcha, of "exceed the original purchase price"!

"
  1. Our Obligations:
    1. At our option, we will repair or replace your product with a refurbished product of like kind and quality or a new product or compensate you for the current market value of the product in the form of a gift card.
    2. We will have no further obligations to you under the Plan if (i) we replace your product with a new product; (ii) for mobile phones and tablets, you have reached your claim limit; (iii) we provide you with a new or refurbished product based on the terms of the No Lemon Benefit; or (iii) our costs to fulfill your claims exceed the original purchase price of your product."

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-p...at340200050006
post #9643 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Ummmmm, you best read some of the fine print of Best Buys protection plans about what their obligations are. And pay attention to how they use the words of "at our option" as far as replacing, and also "current market value" if they decide to only give you a payout instead.

And at the end, there is the big gotcha, of "exceed the original purchase price"!

"
  1. Our Obligations:
    1. At our option, we will repair or replace your product with a refurbished product of like kind and quality or a new product or compensate you for the current market value of the product in the form of a gift card.
    2. We will have no further obligations to you under the Plan if (i) we replace your product with a new product; (ii) for mobile phones and tablets, you have reached your claim limit; (iii) we provide you with a new or refurbished product based on the terms of the No Lemon Benefit; or (iii) our costs to fulfill your claims exceed the original purchase price of your product."

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-p...at340200050006
Well there ya go, their plan seems worth whole lot less now. Thanks for that post! I probably won't purchase it.

post #9644 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3 HDMI outputs - what does this actually mean???

Hi, I've read that the 4520ci comes with 3 HDMI Outputs.

I want to be able to send video and audio via HDMI to three tvs. Is this possible with this Amp?

I don't mind if the two of the tvs show the same source

E.g. One tv shows cable, second and third tvs show bluray player etc

If I can't use HDMI can I use regular video cable and will I see any lowering of quality - would it still be HD?

Thanks
rc
post #9645 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcameron View Post
Hi, I've read that the 4520ci comes with 3 HDMI Outputs.

I want to be able to send video and audio via HDMI to three tvs. Is this possible with this Amp?

I don't mind if the two of the tvs show the same source

E.g. One tv shows cable, second and third tvs show bluray player etc

If I can't use HDMI can I use regular video cable and will I see any lowering of quality - would it still be HD?

Thanks
rc

You have two outputs that show the same source, and a third that can show a different source.
post #9646 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
4520 not keeping Audyssey results

I've had my 4520 for 1 week and have run audyssey twice and find that at some point during a movie if I go to Setup, Audio, Audyssey....my options are "MultiEQ XT32 Off or Graphic EQ - it's like I never ran Audyssey. Any idea why my calibrations are being discarded. Thanks for any help. Firmware is latest.

Last edited by trolly; Yesterday at 07:55 PM.
post #9647 of 9647 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sigh. I remember the good old days when this thread focused on providing useful technical advice to new owners. Lately, it is more like the TV show, "The Price is Right".
Don't worry, I have some head-scratchers coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
Warren/Jerry Et Al, Us newbies are already here. thanks to you guys.
Yes, thanks especially to Warren for the ad/coupon. I think I'm the one that killed that coupon; the rep scanned it in as he rang me up. I had been researching AVRs for a couple of months and was still on the fence with this unit on my short list at $1500, and the minor feature variations between the units I was looking at became irrelevant at $900.

I am really loving the unit so far. Mine is a 405XX S/N with current firmware. I finished installing it yesterday late afternoon and my wife and I spent the evening rocking out. The initial Audyssey calibration seemed to go well enough. I just ran cal in one mic position on the two mains and the sub at first to get the sub level in the ballpark -- mid-gain on a Klipsch 12" netted -3.5db. I finished hooking up the surrounds and ran a full 8-position calibration with the mic on a photographic light stand/boom.

First thing I noticed was overall low volume, so I went to each input in the 4520 menu and upped the gain. Initially I set Dynamic EQ off and compression off. Some initial tests seemed a bit light on the bass so I set the sub to 0db. I know I have a lot of tweaking to do but for the first run I was really, really impressed with the clarity and presence. Unfortunately my center and surround drivers run out of gas before the mains, so to really push the envelope I had to switch to stereo mode.

When trying to push it to 11, I ran into my first problem. OR, question, let's say. Whether running music via Airplay or HDMI from my PS3, the volume won't go above -6. If I spin the volume knob or use the remote I can get it to flash between -6 and -5.5, but then it always settles on -6. Anyone have any thoughts as to how to begin to investigate this problem? I don't remember the correct nomenclature for the -10 or -20 volume limit/reference/whatever setting but that is off.

Second question/problem... When listening to Airplay, if I try to launch and use the iOS Denon control app, the music stops and the app freezes. I don't seem to see this behavior with HDMI sources. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there some hidden setting that makes it behave?

OK, last one for now... I find that sometimes when switching sources, the video will syc, then fuzz out and blank, then sync on about a 5-10 second cycle, ... repeating then never staying synced. Since it does the same thing on different inputs and can be resolved by either power cycling the TV or(less reliably) by unplugging/plugging the Monitor 1 HDMI cable I hope it's either the cable or the TV(an elderly Westinghouse). Anyone else seen this sort of behavior?

I do have other questions but I'm pretty sure the RTFM calibration and/or more experience will address most of those.

Thanks again for the heads-up on the price, and thanks to everyone for being part of a great resource.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page