The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 323 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9661 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Warren makes the best point of ALL.

At BB, the warranty you think you bought is not what you actually buy because of all the fine print. The Reps really have NO CLUE and all they are seeing are $$ Signs because that is the only thing they get paid extra on or used to.

IT IS YOUR LUCK AND THE MOOD OF THE BB REP who services your when you go to the store for WARRANTY issues.

I had an issue with a Sony Playstation one and one store told they wont honor the warranty. Went to the next store 5 miles away and they gave me credit for the original purchase price ( which is the most you should be able to get any way ).
Elite or No Elite BB cannot be responsible for a bad Unit and if there is no stock left. Again YOUR STORE MGR may really want you there because you buy a TON of stuff and do something for you but I doubt he can reduce a units price that much if it was not on sale. Unless you bought 100K worth of stuff from them and they made 90K on it ofcourse.

Let's hope you get a great unit and never have an issue :-) :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Looks like the Buying Frenzy is over and the Setup Frenzy has begun :-).

Also issues with reliability and shipment damage.

You need to play with aLL the Audio Settings to see what affects loudness and limits one from going to an higher level than -6 because the settings says it can go to +18.

I do believe there is a setting for MAX Volume and it may even be by each connection so check that.

I am glad I have no use for multi zone or any of those exotic options at this time. HDMI OUt1 Works just fine and does the Pass Through as well.

Airplay works, Spotify Works, even discovered that I can play YouTube using my iPad using my Sharp TV LOL ( Bonus ).

I think the warranty is still worth it on this unit for 150. Atleast you can see someone face to face about service rather than a Denon Rep over the phone who really has no connection with you and is looking through his/her manual for an answer.

Let's have some fun and share any interesting things we discover about this machine ( the newbies like me any way). The experts already know it all but would be nice to share some cool things you have done with your hookups etc to educate us.

Thanks. Love this Forum.
post #9663 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bah.. i'm in shipping frenzy.. mine MIGHT show up on friday.. praying UPS doesn't destroy it.. and my speakers havn't even shipped yet.. (as far as i know.. no email..) So its a waiting game
post #9664 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. Just got around to installing my floor model from Magnolia. Seems it will not pass audio via HDMI. I suspect I need to update the firmware (3325-8733-3492), from 3/11/13. Correct? OOPS! HDMI Audio Out set to TV not AVR.

Last edited by pvherm; Yesterday at 11:48 AM. Reason: Checked troubleshooting, problem solved
post #9665 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Under Audio > Audyssey > MultEQ XT 32, is the "Audyssey" settings what's referred to in the Audyssey FAQ as the "Movie curve" and "Audyssey Flat" what's referred to (unsurprisingly) as "Audyssey Flat/Music"? And I should be using "Audyssey" if I find the sound on the bright side, since "Flat" doesn't have the high roll-off?

I assume I should also be setting Audio > Surround Parameter > Cinema EQ to "off"?
post #9666 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Correct.

Audyssey = the "Reference" curve with the high freq roll off built in

Flat = unmm, flat

(BTW - the movie/music distinction is nonsense and I never understood why Onkyo choose to label them as such. It has to do with translating the content to a typical room which has a different ratio of direct vs reflected sound than a big theater. If your room is heavily damped and/or small enough that you are sitting within the "critical distance" of the speakers you might prefer the Flat curve)

And yes, Cinema EQ setting is redundant and should be left off unless you intentionally want a "double roll off" for some reason (like an excessively bright soundtrack).
post #9667 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Correct that may help but I think you may also need to reset the unit before update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvherm View Post
Hi guys. Just got around to installing my floor model from Magnolia. Seems it will not pass audio via HDMI. I suspect I need to update the firmware (3325-8733-3492), from 3/11/13. Correct? OOPS! HDMI Audio Out set to TV not AVR.
post #9668 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Atmos cannot be added to older models via firmware. It requires an enormous amount of processing power and the newer receivers that support it have more / newer DSP to enabled the processing.
Hmmm, I wonder if someone like Oppo will come out with a player that can do it via preouts into a receiver that has enough inputs to do the needed amount for Atmos?
post #9669 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post
I assume I should also be setting Audio > Surround Parameter > Cinema EQ to "off"?

Presume you also want to turn off sound parameters of "loudness mgmt." and "dynamic compression" unless you want to double up on Audyssey dynamic volume and dynamic EQ.
post #9670 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if someone like Oppo will come out with a player that can do it via preouts into a receiver that has enough inputs to do the needed amount for Atmos?
It's possible. But remember that pretty much any "legacy" receiver will have, at most, 7.1ch multich inputs so that would limit it to a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9671 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
You need to play with aLL the Audio Settings to see what affects loudness and limits one from going to an higher level than -6 because the settings says it can go to +18.

I do believe there is a setting for MAX Volume and it may even be by each connection so check that.

I checked the max vol setting and everything else that appeared in any way relevant. No joy.
post #9672 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Maybe - but chances are it will cost as much as an Atmos AVR, so there's not much to be gained.

post #9673 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
If your room is heavily damped and/or small enough that you are sitting within the "critical distance" of the speakers you might prefer the Flat curve)
Yeah, I went with Flat at firstbecause my room is pretty small and we're sitting around 6 feet from the speakers, but it's too bright (so is regular Audyssey for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Presume you also want to turn off sound parameters of "loudness mgmt." and "dynamic compression" unless you want to double up on Audyssey dynamic volume and dynamic EQ.
I haven't yet seen these settings for any of the content I've played. Any idea what makes them pop up?

Also, for the life of me I can't find any IR codes that only turn on the Main Zone -- I'm using iRule and a Global Cache itach. Every one I've tried, from everything in the irule and irule community databases, either has no effect, or turns on all the zones. Which is strange because many of the power off counterparts only affect the Main Zone (correctly). I tried using the iLearn utility to learn the code from the Denon remote, but the code it acquired also does not work.
post #9674 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help - I just jumped on a floor model AVR-4520 from Best Buy but it's missing everything and even the source select knob!

The sales rep also seemed to randomly pick up a power cord for the unit so I'm not even sure he gave me the right one. Can anyone who bought this machine new out of box tell me what the power cord says on it? Brand, specs, etc.? I want to make sure I got the right one.

Also, does anyone know if there is a parts list that I can refer to in order to find the right source select knob?

Thanks so much!
AVSF458 likes this.
post #9675 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

Bump, still looking for help with issues mentioned in post 9646.
post #9676 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
Warren makes the best point of ALL.

At BB, the warranty you think you bought is not what you actually buy because of all the fine print. The Reps really have NO CLUE and all they are seeing are $$ Signs because that is the only thing they get paid extra on or used to.

IT IS YOUR LUCK AND THE MOOD OF THE BB REP who services your when you go to the store for WARRANTY issues.

I had an issue with a Sony Playstation one and one store told they wont honor the warranty. Went to the next store 5 miles away and they gave me credit for the original purchase price ( which is the most you should be able to get any way ).
Elite or No Elite BB cannot be responsible for a bad Unit and if there is no stock left. Again YOUR STORE MGR may really want you there because you buy a TON of stuff and do something for you but I doubt he can reduce a units price that much if it was not on sale. Unless you bought 100K worth of stuff from them and they made 90K on it ofcourse.

Let's hope you get a great unit and never have an issue :-) :-).
their decision is not quite as random as breeze changes of the wind

in my experience...I have had only had one situation where they were not going to go past any stipulations in the fine print of the extended warranty

I have 4-5 other situations where they did
I do buy there regularly and have been reward zone elite for years
I am FAR from their top 1% of customers though..I assure you
they have some loyal customers.. aka.and early adopters....that will be in the store buying the item the day it comes in

I have witnessed people buying the both the Panasonic Zt60 and Sharp Elite LED for full MSRP in the first few days it was available....
In fact I saw a guy walk in and buy two 70" sharp elites at full MSRP...$7K each
Needless to say I am not in that crowd and dont think I would ever spend MSRP on Asian electronics...considering their life cycle and market value changes
I remember the Sharp elite being on clearance later at a store( display) for $2250. I did nearly buy that..

I buy at the end of the season or during their blowout sales at 65-75% off MSRP...in fact I bet 85% of the dollars I spend there are on items like that...with blu ray movies making up the other 10-15%

all in all I dont think their end of season blowouts can be beat

As I look in my audio "closet" of my media room...I am about 99% certain their blowout deals cant be beat..lol

Warren
Matt2026 likes this.

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #9677 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
their decision is not quite as random as breeze changes of the wind

in my experience...I have had only had one situation where they were not going to go past any stipulations in the fine print of the extended warranty

I have 4-5 other situations where they did
I do buy there regularly and have been reward zone elite for years
I am FAR from their top 1% of customers though..I assure you
they have some loyal customers.. aka.and early adopters....that will be in the store buying the item the day it comes in

I have witnessed people buying the both the Panasonic Zt60 and Sharp Elite LED for full MSRP in the first few days it was available....
In fact I saw a guy walk in and buy two 70" sharp elites at full MSRP...$7K each
Needless to say I am not in that crowd and dont think I would ever spend MSRP on Asian electronics...considering their life cycle and market value changes
I remember the Sharp elite being on clearance later at a store( display) for $2250. I did nearly buy that..

I buy at the end of the season or during their blowout sales at 65-75% off MSRP...in fact I bet 85% of the dollars I spend there are on items like that...with blu ray movies making up the other 10-15%

all in all I dont think their end of season blowouts can be beat

As I look in my audio "closet" of my media room...I am about 99% certain their blowout deals cant be beat..lol

Warren
I have to agree with you on their great sales they have. I buy a lot of open box items from them. I was able to scoop up a pioneer sc-71 in may, open box for $530! I just wish their geek squad plan was ironclad in its wording to afford me what I want out of it, which it never will be . They are constantly price matching everything I buy because their prices always seem to be inflated anyway, so its nice to get something near their cost

Denon 4520CI on order - Polk 9.3 w/ wides
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
DIY sealed 15" x2 sub build almost started

Last edited by AlphaPie; Yesterday at 04:38 PM.
post #9678 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

I haven't yet seen these settings for any of the content I've played. Any idea what makes them pop up?

Cinema EQ, loudness mgmt. and dynamic compression are all under audio/sound parameters in the GUI section of the manual. If I remember correctly, they all were options during the original setup. Tonight while inputting satellite broadcasting/DD, Cinema EQ and dynamic compression were available for choice. Per the manual, loudness mgmt. is an adjustment available only with Dolby True HD. But back to my original point, I believe that if using Audyssey/Audyssey EQ/Audyssey dynamic volume, the discussed settings under sound parameters should be "off". Otherwise, the effects will be "doubled".
post #9679 of 9686 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

hi Warren, When do these 65-75% off sales happen. It would be nice to know about them. I have yet to see one in my area.

Maybe they have changed but unless anything there is 65-75% off, my money stays away. Maybe you have one of the better stores in the country. I know for a fact my nearest store is one of the worst.

Buying something full msrp the day it comes out is a thing of the past unless I win the 100 million lottery then its all good but still not buying from BB lol.

thanks for sharing. Liek I said i will buy 75% off from anyone ;-) ;-)
post #9680 of 9686 Old Today, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The biggest sales are before the newer models come out.
post #9681 of 9686 Old Today, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

I just swapped my 4810 for the 4520 last night. I was surprised how much they made the setup process pretty idiot-proof. They've tried very hard to make the person with little experience be able to get through the configuration part. I however, have been doing this for a long time and found it more of a time consuming activity than otherwise just going into the settings menus.

However, I am stumped on one thing right now. I configured my setup using front wides and I took advantage for the amp assign function to turn off the internal amps on all but the surround and surround back channels as I use a 5-channel external amp to drive my front 5 array. But when I go into the 'Audyssey' setup under the 'Audio' menu item, the 'Audyssey DSX' parameters are all greyed out and don't allow selection or changing.

My only thought at this point is that this menu setup area is not global in nature, and can me made for each input.....and the input I was on was using a Surround setting of stereo, so the DSX parameters would not apply. Can anyone confirm if that is true, or if not, provide and answer to why the DSX settings weren't enabled. If my theory is true, this is a real pain in the ass to have to make all of these settings for each input used.
post #9682 of 9686 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
Oh yes you should ask how many they have when you pick yours up! Cross my fingers they have mine there too. Let me know what happens!
I picked mine up yesterday and they had another one in the lockup for online orders with mine. They also had one sitting on a table in the Magnolia section. I had to pick mine up from online order section and when I asked if the other one was for Alpha Pie they gave me a funny look!
AVSF458 likes this.
post #9683 of 9686 Old Today, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How do I switch between different modes like stereo to multi channel in or PL II cinema etc...IN my previous denon model 2112ci, when I keep pressing movies or music button on the remote, it was switching audio in different modes. But on 4520, modes doesn't change on pressing these buttons and it remains static.

Also, is there shorter way to increase per channel volume? I don't see CH level button new remote Thanks.
post #9684 of 9686 Old Today, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post
How do I switch between different modes like stereo to multi channel in or PL II cinema etc...IN my previous denon model 2112ci, when I keep pressing movies or music button on the remote, it was switching audio in different modes. But on 4520, modes doesn't change on pressing these buttons and it remains static.

Also, is there shorter way to increase per channel volume? I don't see CH level button new remote Thanks.
On the 4520 you have to press and HOLD the movie/music/game buttons and then it will pop up a menu of options that you can scroll through. A single press will just recall the last setting for each button.

The CH level interface was removed for a couple of model years to include your 4520. You can set global channel levels in the Speaker setup menus. You can also adjust subwoofer level on the fly in the Audio menu.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9685 of 9686 Old Today, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
On the 4520 you have to press and HOLD the movie/music/game buttons and then it will pop up a menu of options that you can scroll through. A single press will just recall the last setting for each button.

The CH level interface was removed for a couple of model years to include your 4520. You can set global channel levels in the Speaker setup menus. You can also adjust subwoofer level on the fly in the Audio menu.
Cool...subtle changes makes life difficult . Thanks batpig...I will try it out in the evening
post #9686 of 9686 Old Today, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A_Anderson View Post
I checked the max vol setting and everything else that appeared in any way relevant. No joy.
Most likely probability is your speakers have a positive trim on each channel level. Take 18 (max) minus your highest trim channel level and that is your new max. So if you had a channel trim level at +12, then your new max volume is 6dB

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page