post #9692 of 9696 Old Today, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
A couple of urgent questions, if you don't mind ...

A: I just found one of these as an open box sale at my local BB for $839 ... But it did NOT have the microphone with it and possibly the remotes as well. They said they would knock another 50 off the price for that ... is that a good deal? How much do replacement microphones and remotes run?

B: digital trends gave this denon a less than glowing review as seen here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/receive...4520ci-review/

As this is a denon owners thread, I have a feeling no one will agree with this review ... but can you tell me how or why you think the reviewer is wrong? $800 is still a lot of money for me and this review made me a little nervous about buying this particular model, even though I've been happy with Denon in the past ...

thanks to all who respond!!!

Quote:
Once we placed the calibration microphone in the correct positions, total auto setup time using the built in Audyssey system took about 45 minutes

??? This week I just did the auto calibration again with my front heights in a 9.1 setup. It didn't take anywhere close to 45 minutes.

Quote:
After spending about 10 minutes combing through the manual and the receiver’s setup menu, we still couldn’t find an easy way to default Denon’s version of Audyssey to expect only a single sub.
??? No idea why they had an issue with this. It's right there in the setup and asks you how many subs you have.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9693 of 9696 Old Today, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? This week I just did the auto calibration again with my front heights in a 9.1 setup. It didn't take anywhere close to 45 minutes.

The elapsed time for the actual chirps doesn't take this long, Aaron. But if the poster is being overly meticulous about mic placement, there could be more time involved than for those of us who have done hundreds of calibrations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9694 of 9696 Old Today, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I ordered my 4520 out of Tulsa, OK. I received great service from them and I'm happy to say I picked it up this evening. They also remodeled their magnolia section with 3 dedicated listening rooms. I received a full tour and demo. They even had some mcintosh amps on the floor to listen to, they sounded great. I played with my new toy for a few hours tonight, so my following comparison is based on about one movie. I came from a pioneer sc71 and while it sounded very clear the 4520 seemed to be smoother and has a warmer tone. Most likely XT 32 is responsible for the perceived gain in smoothness. I am now a BIG fan of sub EQ. A great value at $899 for sure.
post #9695 of 9696 Old Today, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoryder View Post
I picked mine up yesterday and they had another one in the lockup for online orders with mine. They also had one sitting on a table in the Magnolia section. I had to pick mine up from online order section and when I asked if the other one was for Alpha Pie they gave me a funny look!
I feel a little bad for them, but a BB within 90 min driving distance called me with one I picked up today so I canceled my ordered at the Daytona beach store.
post #9696 of 9696 Old Today, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can you leave this in standby mode so you don't have to turn it on and off? Or is that a bad idea (heat, energy costs, etc)?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread