post #9692 of 9694 Old Today, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
A couple of urgent questions, if you don't mind ...

A: I just found one of these as an open box sale at my local BB for $839 ... But it did NOT have the microphone with it and possibly the remotes as well. They said they would knock another 50 off the price for that ... is that a good deal? How much do replacement microphones and remotes run?

B: digital trends gave this denon a less than glowing review as seen here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/receive...4520ci-review/

As this is a denon owners thread, I have a feeling no one will agree with this review ... but can you tell me how or why you think the reviewer is wrong? $800 is still a lot of money for me and this review made me a little nervous about buying this particular model, even though I've been happy with Denon in the past ...

thanks to all who respond!!!

Quote:
Once we placed the calibration microphone in the correct positions, total auto setup time using the built in Audyssey system took about 45 minutes

??? This week I just did the auto calibration again with my front heights in a 9.1 setup. It didn't take anywhere close to 45 minutes.

Quote:
After spending about 10 minutes combing through the manual and the receiver’s setup menu, we still couldn’t find an easy way to default Denon’s version of Audyssey to expect only a single sub.
??? No idea why they had an issue with this. It's right there in the setup and asks you how many subs you have.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9693 of 9694 Old Today, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? This week I just did the auto calibration again with my front heights in a 9.1 setup. It didn't take anywhere close to 45 minutes.

The elapsed time for the actual chirps doesn't take this long, Aaron. But if the poster is being overly meticulous about mic placement, there could be more time involved than for those of us who have done hundreds of calibrations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9694 of 9694 Old Today, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
There were definitely subjective elements of that review, but I think that's always the case, and I think "our little hobby" is itself very subjective, at least in some aspects ... still it won't put me off buying the 4520.

Another question:

I have a 7.2 setup with the three front channels running through my IRD MB-100 watt monoblocks ... specs here: http://www.buffaloelectronics.com/audio/mb100.htm.

Do you think the Denon's internal amps might actually be better than my old standbys, seeing as how the Denon's are supposedly rated at 190 watts per channel?

It would be nice if I could sell my monoblocks to offset the cost of the denon ...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page