post #9692 of 9703 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
A couple of urgent questions, if you don't mind ...

A: I just found one of these as an open box sale at my local BB for $839 ... But it did NOT have the microphone with it and possibly the remotes as well. They said they would knock another 50 off the price for that ... is that a good deal? How much do replacement microphones and remotes run?

B: digital trends gave this denon a less than glowing review as seen here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/receive...4520ci-review/

As this is a denon owners thread, I have a feeling no one will agree with this review ... but can you tell me how or why you think the reviewer is wrong? $800 is still a lot of money for me and this review made me a little nervous about buying this particular model, even though I've been happy with Denon in the past ...

thanks to all who respond!!!

Quote:
Once we placed the calibration microphone in the correct positions, total auto setup time using the built in Audyssey system took about 45 minutes

??? This week I just did the auto calibration again with my front heights in a 9.1 setup. It didn't take anywhere close to 45 minutes.

Quote:
After spending about 10 minutes combing through the manual and the receiver’s setup menu, we still couldn’t find an easy way to default Denon’s version of Audyssey to expect only a single sub.
??? No idea why they had an issue with this. It's right there in the setup and asks you how many subs you have.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9693 of 9703 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? This week I just did the auto calibration again with my front heights in a 9.1 setup. It didn't take anywhere close to 45 minutes.

The elapsed time for the actual chirps doesn't take this long, Aaron. But if the poster is being overly meticulous about mic placement, there could be more time involved than for those of us who have done hundreds of calibrations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9694 of 9703 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I ordered my 4520 out of Tulsa, OK. I received great service from them and I'm happy to say I picked it up this evening. They also remodeled their magnolia section with 3 dedicated listening rooms. I received a full tour and demo. They even had some mcintosh amps on the floor to listen to, they sounded great. I played with my new toy for a few hours tonight, so my following comparison is based on about one movie. I came from a pioneer sc71 and while it sounded very clear the 4520 seemed to be smoother and has a warmer tone. Most likely XT 32 is responsible for the perceived gain in smoothness. I am now a BIG fan of sub EQ. A great value at $899 for sure.
post #9695 of 9703 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoryder View Post
I picked mine up yesterday and they had another one in the lockup for online orders with mine. They also had one sitting on a table in the Magnolia section. I had to pick mine up from online order section and when I asked if the other one was for Alpha Pie they gave me a funny look!
I feel a little bad for them, but a BB within 90 min driving distance called me with one I picked up today so I canceled my ordered at the Daytona beach store.
post #9696 of 9703 Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can you leave this in standby mode so you don't have to turn it on and off? Or is that a bad idea (heat, energy costs, etc)?
post #9697 of 9703 Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post
Without leaving your comfy chair...........well, here you go:

https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/ho...&referral=MG80

Process an address change, select the option to receive the coupons via email and then cancel the change request after that.
HOW do you cancel? I got past the email part and see no option to cancel ...

EDIT: Never mind. You have to cancel via an email they send you afterwards. Got the coupon. Now I have to see if Best Buy will take it on an open box item ...

Last edited by Tangled Cable; Yesterday at 11:59 PM.
post #9698 of 9703 Old Today, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I turn the unit off the display says Main Zone off , is there a way to shut it completely off or stand by ? Cause I left it like that way over night an the 4520 is still heating up ? the off light still is green not orangish like my 2313 ? any help would b appreciated
post #9699 of 9703 Old Today, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Using the buttons on the remote, select each of the other zones in sequence, turning each zone off. When all zones are off, the 4520 is "off".

post #9700 of 9703 Old Today, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
hi Warren, When do these 65-75% off sales happen. It would be nice to know about them. I have yet to see one in my area.

Maybe they have changed but unless anything there is 65-75% off, my money stays away. Maybe you have one of the better stores in the country. I know for a fact my nearest store is one of the worst.

Buying something full msrp the day it comes out is a thing of the past unless I win the 100 million lottery then its all good but still not buying from BB lol.

thanks for sharing. Liek I said i will buy 75% off from anyone ;-) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_nitty View Post
The biggest sales are before the newer models come out.
generally speaking anywhere between the week after Thanksgiving to the week after Christmas

they will let the new models be in circulation for a month of two before they decide to really blow out the prior years models

I cant even begin to tell you how many AVR's and speakers I have bought over the years at these type of sales

I predict if there are any of these 4520's left around in that time period someone will get one of these for under $500

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #9701 of 9703 Old Today, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a dumb question to ask. I noticed that on my AVR (4520CI) it automatically selects the sound based on the source and movie I play. Is this correct? I'm not really up with the whole DTS Neo: X or the other options so I mostly leave it there.
post #9702 of 9703 Old Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

For each input, it remembers the format based on the source content. For example, when I listen to DirecTV, I tune to either a TV show, which is usually in 5.1, or a music channel, which is 2.0. If I set the 5.1 source to output Dolby Digital, and the 2.0 source to output PLII Music, the 4520 will remember these choices and automatically select the mode that matches the source format. Is this what you are referring to?

post #9703 of 9703 Old Today, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
For each input, it remembers the format based on the source content. For example, when I listen to DirecTV, I tune to either a TV show, which is usually in 5.1, or a music channel, which is 2.0. If I set the 5.1 source to output Dolby Digital, and the 2.0 source to output PLII Music, the 4520 will remember these choices and automatically select the mode that matches the source format. Is this what you are referring to?
I've seen what you're talking about it also seemed that it was automatically picking the sound mode but I may be wrong. As it it chose one for me based on what I was playing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page