post #9811 of 9829 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
issues out of the box meaning there was an issue when some bought it...they returned it and it was just replaced with another unit at the store level
That failed unit was repaired and came back to the store as an open box

let me know if you still dont understand that
If you have worked in retail, you would know that it doesn't work like that. If a product is returned because the customer says it is defective, it doesn't get "repaired" by Best Buy and put back on the shelf, it goes back to Best Buys' Denon distributor.

Quote:
Litigation is most certainly possible in a situation where a retailer misrepresented a product intentionally.
In my experience...impending death is not a determining factor in most litigation

Warren
Are you a lawyer? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 9829 Old Today, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A_Anderson View Post
Well, all of my questions above are moot. There was too much pain(and potential pain) involved in sticking with the AVR-4250CI. Immediate pain, because it's on the fritz, couldn't restore either of my backups, and putting the effort into setting this up again vs something else was one small factor.

. . .

In the end, I decided to get a newer unit that would have all of the features that are most important to me. I ended up with the Denon AVR-X5200W. I am working on getting everything set up and so far so good.

So, looks like I am signing off of the 4520 thread and looking for the X5200W thread. Thanks again to all who helped or tried to help, and those who had posted helpful info before I asked.
FWIW, I just got an X5200 and it was DOA; I'm currently waiting on a replacement unit.

There is nothing inherently errant in either the 4520 or X5200 that I know of; but the nature of consumer electronics and mass production QA simply leads to a certain number of units that will have defects. Denon has a pretty good track record and they back these higher-end units with a 3-year warranty so that should give you new owners some peace of mind.

Dealing with these issues can be a hassle, but it's just something you have to be prepared for regardless of how much due diligence you perform before purchasing.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #9813 of 9829 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
If you have worked in retail, you would know that it doesn't work like that. If a product is returned because the customer says it is defective, it doesn't get "repaired" by Best Buy and put back on the shelf, it goes back to Best Buys' Denon distributor.
in the context of Best Buy...which was what was referring to

Best Buy typically services their own units they sell...they definitely do the own service for units serviced under their service contracts

they have several service centers across the country

Generally speaking..in my experience

they will do a "courtesy swap" for a customer rather than having them wait for a repair
ofcourse this is "if" there is a swap available

the failed unit is then fixed at their service center..returned to a store and then sold as open box

I have bought a few units over the years that have had this scenario...most recently a Pioneer SC37 and a Pioneer SC65
both of which have full factory warranties from the day you buy and a BB extended warranty is available

Due to the relative"disposable" nature of Asian AVR's this system works for me

Smaller independent retailers work differently than Best Buy

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #9814 of 9829 Old Today, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just set my receiver up this morning (brand new purchase from Amazon.com; Amazon is the seller). It has the low buzz/hum issue. It is connected to a Panamax M-5400-PM) and I am running it in 2.1 mode (Polk RTI70's and a PSW505 from yester years). No buzz/hum through the speakers, just the unit itself. It is faint enough and will not bother us when accessing audio/video programs. I stumbled upon this post # 9461 (cannot link it due to low post count). I will try a ground cable from the receiver's ground lug to the ground lug on the Panamax to see if it resolves the issue. Will provide an update.

[quote=Archaea;27278866]This amp hum problem has been wholly resolved with a grounding cable from the Denon phono ground screw to the ground plug on my amplifiers --- at the suggestion of @jevansoh
Post 9461 for details...]
post #9815 of 9829 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
None of them
that would be grounds for litigation with Best Buy...as they would have misrepresented what they sold

People has issues right off the bat with this unit....as I saw in some of the earlier pages more than a year ago
There have also been some in between as well

The fact that a WHOLE lot more units were likely purchased since BB/Amazon brought the market price down might have something to do with occurrences in the last month

I would imagine the amount of units sold by Best Buy alone ..in the last month...was several times what they have sold in any similar timeframe since this unit was introduced

Warren
I've purchased plenty of items from Best Buy over the years that were sold as new but were actually returns. I either didn't bother doing anything because it worked fine and I had an extended warranty. Or I went back to the store and turned the issue into a discount or free gift card.

Although I have only purchased one Denon from BEstBuy and that was my 3808. That was a brand new unit that had not been previously used. And i've owned several other Denons purchased online that were fine. But those were before the 3808. And so far my refurb 4520 from Accessories4Less has been fine.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 09:55 AM.
post #9816 of 9829 Old Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've purchased plenty of items from Best Buy over the years that were sold as new but were actually returns. I either didn't bother doing anything because it worked fine and I had an extended warranty. Or I went back to the store and turned the issue into a discount or free gift card.

Although I have only purchased one Denon from BEstBuy and that was my 3808. That was a brand new unit that had not been previously used. And i've owned several other Denons purchased online that were fine. But those were before the 3808. And so far my refurb 4520 from Accessories4Less has been fine.
never had that experience over the many years of purchases with Best Buy

it was either new in a sealed box..or an open box item that was sold as such

While BB is not perfect..IMO....with the same struggles that happen in any very large mass market retail environment...they have stepped up to the plate any time where there were issues

One major example was I bought an Onkyo 807 ( open box) years ago for 70% off MSRP
Its broke twice...the third time the manager gave me a full retail credit for the unit
That amount was $700 more than I paid for the open box 807
I turned right around and bought an open box Yamaha A3000

Most recently they knocked another 5% off the price of the Denon 4520 because they said I had to wait an excessively long time to complete my transaction
This was done proactively, on their part, after it took 30 minutes to complete my transaction

On another note
They seem to be expanding their Magnolia Design Center concept on a national basis
These concepts sell and stock the reference brands such as Krell, McIntosh, Arcam, Classe etc and are offering some competition to the independent A/V retailers

While I have not seen them do a "blow out" like they have of the mass market brands in their BB/Magnolia Home Theater concepts....time will tell and I will keep my fingers crossed...

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #9817 of 9829 Old Today, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
on the Best Buy website type "open box" in the search bar

a link to the coupon should open up on the website

You should be able to take the receipt and return and rebuy...if you are within your return period

Warren
Thanks for the info. BB honored the open box coupon, on the unit I purchased 9/8.
post #9818 of 9829 Old Today, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
g
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvherm View Post
Thanks for the info. BB honored the open box coupon, on the unit I purchased 9/8.
Can you tell me how this works, exactly? Do you have to "return" the item and purchase it again--.i.e. repeat the whole transaction--or do you just show them your original receipt and they give you back the difference?
post #9819 of 9829 Old Today, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
g

Can you tell me how this works, exactly? Do you have to "return" the item and purchase it again--.i.e. repeat the whole transaction--or do you just show them your original receipt and they give you back the difference?
You do not have to return the unit. That would be too much trouble for you and them. Just bring your receipt and the open box coupon (expires Sunday), and if you are within the 15 day return period, they should give you a 10% refund. In terms of accounting, it is considered a "return", and they then issue you a new price, not a new unit.
post #9820 of 9829 Old Today, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Not sure why there have been the recent posts on faulty 4520s. I have been an owner for almost a year now and have read this entire thread. The people with issues up until the last month have been very few. Just wonder how many of these end of season shipments from BB are actually repackaged and resealed units for there to be so many problems?
I am wondering about the opposite - how could a high percentage of units of an electronic device so constructed to have over 1000 potential mechanical failure points (loose connections) ever reach the customers alive, or not fail after a year of thermal expansion and contraction cycles.

//Goodman

Last edited by doognam; Today at 04:04 PM.
post #9821 of 9829 Old Today, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You do not have to return the unit. That would be too much trouble for you and them. Just bring your receipt and the open box coupon (expires Sunday), and if you are within the 15 day return period, they should give you a 10% refund. In terms of accounting, it is considered a "return", and they then issue you a new price, not a new unit.
What I'm curious about is, do they cancel the first transaction, and then create a whole new transaction--i.e. canceling the first billing on your credit card, then billing your card all over again, with a new receipt, etc--or do they just look at your original receipt and credit you the difference ... ?
post #9822 of 9829 Old Today, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Does that also work for people that have 45 day return periods? I get 45 days to return items at BestBuy.(although I didn't get my 4520 from there)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9823 of 9829 Old Today, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
What I'm curious about is, do they cancel the first transaction, and then create a whole new transaction--i.e. canceling the first billing on your credit card, then billing your card all over again, with a new receipt, etc--or do they just look at your original receipt and credit you the difference ... ?
As far as BB is concerned it's a new transaction, called an "exchange". I exchanged one price for another. They did not cancel the original billing. They credited my card the difference, to appear in 2-3 days.
Tangled Cable likes this.
post #9824 of 9829 Old Today, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I've been wondering--what is the difference between using xt32 and physical room treatments like acoustic panels and bass traps?
post #9825 of 9829 Old Today, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Does that also work for people that have 45 day return periods? I get 45 days to return items at BestBuy.(although I didn't get my 4520 from there)
It would stand to reason, but I do not know. One thing I can say, if these results hold, is that this has certainly been my best BB exp. ever.

Last edited by pvherm; Today at 05:39 PM.
post #9826 of 9829 Old Today, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Liked: 663
Is there much value in the media server network function?
post #9827 of 9829 Old Today, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
as long as you complete the transaction before end of business tomorrow

Warren

post #9828 of 9829 Old Today, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is there much value in the media server network function?
I'm using it to stream all the music on my HTPC. I have zone 3 in the family room and zone 2 in the basement, so I can play anything on my pc in either room. Main zone is the theater.
post #9829 of 9829 Old Today, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Picked up my second 4520 today because the first one received last week must have been dropped and the side was dented from impact. Got the new one setup today and everything seems to be working just fine. This is a huge step up compared to my 3312. Couple things that really stood out after listening for an hour or so was the panning was very accurate and smooth compared to the 3312. Also the clarity and dialogue are much better. I have only spent 3-4 hrs with it but am really liking it so far.

Audyssey set my mains at -10.5 and center at -10 with the 3312. The 4520 sets my mains at - 6.5 and - 6.0 and center at -9.0. I realize its a different audyssey from XT to XT32. I also know that if you run audyssey 10 times that you might get a wide variety of results but will stay within 1-2 db's. I just thought it was kinda weird it set my mains almost 4db's higher.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread