post #9811 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A_Anderson View Post
Well, all of my questions above are moot. There was too much pain(and potential pain) involved in sticking with the AVR-4250CI. Immediate pain, because it's on the fritz, couldn't restore either of my backups, and putting the effort into setting this up again vs something else was one small factor.

. . .

In the end, I decided to get a newer unit that would have all of the features that are most important to me. I ended up with the Denon AVR-X5200W. I am working on getting everything set up and so far so good.

So, looks like I am signing off of the 4520 thread and looking for the X5200W thread. Thanks again to all who helped or tried to help, and those who had posted helpful info before I asked.
FWIW, I just got an X5200 and it was DOA; I'm currently waiting on a replacement unit.

There is nothing inherently errant in either the 4520 or X5200 that I know of; but the nature of consumer electronics and mass production QA simply leads to a certain number of units that will have defects. Denon has a pretty good track record and they back these higher-end units with a 3-year warranty so that should give you new owners some peace of mind.

Dealing with these issues can be a hassle, but it's just something you have to be prepared for regardless of how much due diligence you perform before purchasing.
Matt2026 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
If you have worked in retail, you would know that it doesn't work like that. If a product is returned because the customer says it is defective, it doesn't get "repaired" by Best Buy and put back on the shelf, it goes back to Best Buys' Denon distributor.
in the context of Best Buy...which was what was referring to

Best Buy typically services their own units they sell...they definitely do the own service for units serviced under their service contracts

they have several service centers across the country

Generally speaking..in my experience

they will do a "courtesy swap" for a customer rather than having them wait for a repair
ofcourse this is "if" there is a swap available

the failed unit is then fixed at their service center..returned to a store and then sold as open box

I have bought a few units over the years that have had this scenario...most recently a Pioneer SC37 and a Pioneer SC65
both of which have full factory warranties from the day you buy and a BB extended warranty is available

Due to the relative"disposable" nature of Asian AVR's this system works for me

Smaller independent retailers work differently than Best Buy

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #9813 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just set my receiver up this morning (brand new purchase from Amazon.com; Amazon is the seller). It has the low buzz/hum issue. It is connected to a Panamax M-5400-PM) and I am running it in 2.1 mode (Polk RTI70's and a PSW505 from yester years). No buzz/hum through the speakers, just the unit itself. It is faint enough and will not bother us when accessing audio/video programs. I stumbled upon this post # 9461 (cannot link it due to low post count). I will try a ground cable from the receiver's ground lug to the ground lug on the Panamax to see if it resolves the issue. Will provide an update.

[quote=Archaea;27278866]This amp hum problem has been wholly resolved with a grounding cable from the Denon phono ground screw to the ground plug on my amplifiers --- at the suggestion of @jevansoh
Post 9461 for details...]
post #9814 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
None of them
that would be grounds for litigation with Best Buy...as they would have misrepresented what they sold

People has issues right off the bat with this unit....as I saw in some of the earlier pages more than a year ago
There have also been some in between as well

The fact that a WHOLE lot more units were likely purchased since BB/Amazon brought the market price down might have something to do with occurrences in the last month

I would imagine the amount of units sold by Best Buy alone ..in the last month...was several times what they have sold in any similar timeframe since this unit was introduced

Warren
I've purchased plenty of items from Best Buy over the years that were sold as new but were actually returns. I either didn't bother doing anything because it worked fine and I had an extended warranty. Or I went back to the store and turned the issue into a discount or free gift card.

Although I have only purchased one Denon from BEstBuy and that was my 3808. That was a brand new unit that had not been previously used. And i've owned several other Denons purchased online that were fine. But those were before the 3808. And so far my refurb 4520 from Accessories4Less has been fine.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-20-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #9815 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've purchased plenty of items from Best Buy over the years that were sold as new but were actually returns. I either didn't bother doing anything because it worked fine and I had an extended warranty. Or I went back to the store and turned the issue into a discount or free gift card.

Although I have only purchased one Denon from BEstBuy and that was my 3808. That was a brand new unit that had not been previously used. And i've owned several other Denons purchased online that were fine. But those were before the 3808. And so far my refurb 4520 from Accessories4Less has been fine.
never had that experience over the many years of purchases with Best Buy

it was either new in a sealed box..or an open box item that was sold as such

While BB is not perfect..IMO....with the same struggles that happen in any very large mass market retail environment...they have stepped up to the plate any time where there were issues

One major example was I bought an Onkyo 807 ( open box) years ago for 70% off MSRP
Its broke twice...the third time the manager gave me a full retail credit for the unit
That amount was $700 more than I paid for the open box 807
I turned right around and bought an open box Yamaha A3000

Most recently they knocked another 5% off the price of the Denon 4520 because they said I had to wait an excessively long time to complete my transaction
This was done proactively, on their part, after it took 30 minutes to complete my transaction

On another note
They seem to be expanding their Magnolia Design Center concept on a national basis
These concepts sell and stock the reference brands such as Krell, McIntosh, Arcam, Classe etc and are offering some competition to the independent A/V retailers

While I have not seen them do a "blow out" like they have of the mass market brands in their BB/Magnolia Home Theater concepts....time will tell and I will keep my fingers crossed...

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #9816 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
on the Best Buy website type "open box" in the search bar

a link to the coupon should open up on the website

You should be able to take the receipt and return and rebuy...if you are within your return period

Warren
Thanks for the info. BB honored the open box coupon, on the unit I purchased 9/8.
post #9817 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
g
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvherm View Post
Thanks for the info. BB honored the open box coupon, on the unit I purchased 9/8.
Can you tell me how this works, exactly? Do you have to "return" the item and purchase it again--.i.e. repeat the whole transaction--or do you just show them your original receipt and they give you back the difference?
post #9818 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
g

Can you tell me how this works, exactly? Do you have to "return" the item and purchase it again--.i.e. repeat the whole transaction--or do you just show them your original receipt and they give you back the difference?
You do not have to return the unit. That would be too much trouble for you and them. Just bring your receipt and the open box coupon (expires Sunday), and if you are within the 15 day return period, they should give you a 10% refund. In terms of accounting, it is considered a "return", and they then issue you a new price, not a new unit.
post #9819 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Not sure why there have been the recent posts on faulty 4520s. I have been an owner for almost a year now and have read this entire thread. The people with issues up until the last month have been very few. Just wonder how many of these end of season shipments from BB are actually repackaged and resealed units for there to be so many problems?
I am wondering about the opposite - how could a high percentage of units of an electronic device so constructed to have over 1000 potential mechanical failure points (loose connections) ever reach the customers alive, or not fail after a year of thermal expansion and contraction cycles.

//Goodman

Last edited by doognam; 09-20-2014 at 04:04 PM.
post #9820 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You do not have to return the unit. That would be too much trouble for you and them. Just bring your receipt and the open box coupon (expires Sunday), and if you are within the 15 day return period, they should give you a 10% refund. In terms of accounting, it is considered a "return", and they then issue you a new price, not a new unit.
What I'm curious about is, do they cancel the first transaction, and then create a whole new transaction--i.e. canceling the first billing on your credit card, then billing your card all over again, with a new receipt, etc--or do they just look at your original receipt and credit you the difference ... ?
post #9821 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Does that also work for people that have 45 day return periods? I get 45 days to return items at BestBuy.(although I didn't get my 4520 from there)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9822 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
What I'm curious about is, do they cancel the first transaction, and then create a whole new transaction--i.e. canceling the first billing on your credit card, then billing your card all over again, with a new receipt, etc--or do they just look at your original receipt and credit you the difference ... ?
As far as BB is concerned it's a new transaction, called an "exchange". I exchanged one price for another. They did not cancel the original billing. They credited my card the difference, to appear in 2-3 days.
Tangled Cable likes this.
post #9823 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I've been wondering--what is the difference between using xt32 and physical room treatments like acoustic panels and bass traps?
post #9824 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Does that also work for people that have 45 day return periods? I get 45 days to return items at BestBuy.(although I didn't get my 4520 from there)
It would stand to reason, but I do not know. One thing I can say, if these results hold, is that this has certainly been my best BB exp. ever.

Last edited by pvherm; 09-20-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #9825 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Is there much value in the media server network function?
post #9826 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
as long as you complete the transaction before end of business tomorrow

Warren

post #9827 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is there much value in the media server network function?
I'm using it to stream all the music on my HTPC. I have zone 3 in the family room and zone 2 in the basement, so I can play anything on my pc in either room. Main zone is the theater.
post #9828 of 10217 Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Picked up my second 4520 today because the first one received last week must have been dropped and the side was dented from impact. Got the new one setup today and everything seems to be working just fine. This is a huge step up compared to my 3312. Couple things that really stood out after listening for an hour or so was the panning was very accurate and smooth compared to the 3312. Also the clarity and dialogue are much better. I have only spent 3-4 hrs with it but am really liking it so far.

Audyssey set my mains at -10.5 and center at -10 with the 3312. The 4520 sets my mains at - 6.5 and - 6.0 and center at -9.0. I realize its a different audyssey from XT to XT32. I also know that if you run audyssey 10 times that you might get a wide variety of results but will stay within 1-2 db's. I just thought it was kinda weird it set my mains almost 4db's higher.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #9829 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold14 View Post
I was in the same boat as you. I have old Marantz mono block amps I was using with my old setup, I did not connect them to the 4520, I wanted to see what the receiver could do. Just like you, I was not please with the results so that's when I started digging around because I was thinking that it was no way possible that this receiver sounds like this. Also if your not using a tripod or a boom mic, I would suggest using one. With my last setup and even the start of this setup I was standing the mic straight up on anything I could get my hands on. I recently went to target and purchased a tripod for $13 and it also made a big difference with the calibration. The combination of the two made me very very happy with this receiver. I will probably leave the amps out. Good luck and let me km now how you make out.

I was using a tri-pod for the mic and level matched with an spl meter prior to running the room correction Overall I could not get the Denon to fill in what I feel I was missing. With only a few days left for return I needed to make a decision if I could live with this.

A local dealer let me take home an Anthem 510 to try and within 15 minutes of listening to 2 channel with no correction it had my attention and within an hour I was sold and returned the Denon on Saturday morning. After running Anthem's ARC last night and putting in Pacific Rim, I was blown away. This is all with Anthem's internal amp.

Sorry guys I really wanted to make this work but as we all know sound is subjective and Denon wasnt it for me.

FWIW, when I returned the Denon to BB on Saturday they had to test it and found a few inputs did not work including the front USB (which I had not used at all). The unit was tested by the same Magnolia rep I purchased it from. Maybe there were other issues that affected the sound but I guess it just wasnt meant to be.

Last edited by gbreda; 09-21-2014 at 06:26 AM.
post #9830 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
I was using a tri-pod for the mic and level matched with an spl meter prior to running the room correction Overall I could not get the Denon to fill in what I feel I was missing. With only a few days left for return I needed to make a decision if I could live with this.

A local dealer let me take home an Anthem 510 to try and within 15 minutes of listening to 2 channel with no correction it had my attention and within an hour I was sold and returned the Denon on Saturday morning. After running Anthem's ARC last night and putting in Pacific Rim, I was blown away. This is all with Anthem's internal amp.

Sorry guys I really wanted to make this work but as we all know sound is subjective and Denon wasnt it for me.

FWIW, when I returned the Denon to BB on Saturday they had to test it and found a few inputs did not work including the front USB (which I had not used at all). The unit was tested by the same Magnolia rep I purchased it from. Maybe there were other issues that affected the sound but I guess it just wasnt meant to be.
no surprises on your preference

though I am surprised that the defining moment was in surround vs 2 channel

However...I bet you spent hundreds more on the Anthem than you did for the Denon

In my experience...MSRP on brands like Anthem are pretty synonymous with market price

Warren

post #9831 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update: The ground strap did not help, I am not worried about this though, the buzz is so low, and cannot be heard unless you are a few inches from the receiver. One question - do the fans spin at a minimum speed all the time - the low buzz could be the sound of the fans spinning at minimum speed when the receiver powers up. Will keep it if all functions check out. I connected our Polk center channel (CSi40) and the receiver tested fine in 3.1 mode (used manual speaker set-up for ease) with a Toshiba HD-A30 DVD player connected to the DVD input and a Pioneer BDP-51FD player to the Blue Ray input. Checked the Aux 2 input also, and it works fine. I did not have sufficient banana plugs to test all channels with speakers; will order these. The speaker connectors do not accept bare wire without much difficulty, and hence I decided to hold off checking all channels. Have Polk RT55is' RTi38's and FXi30's and will hook these up after I get additional banana plugs. However, quite pleased with the sound and features of the receiver.

[quote=aba4430;27575730]I just set my receiver up this morning (brand new purchase from Amazon.com; Amazon is the seller). It has the low buzz/hum issue. It is connected to a Panamax M-5400-PM) and I am running it in 2.1 mode (Polk RTI70's and a PSW505 from yester years). No buzz/hum through the speakers, just the unit itself. It is faint enough and will not bother us when accessing audio/video programs. I stumbled upon this post # 9461 (cannot link it due to low post count). I will try a ground cable from the receiver's ground lug to the ground lug on the Panamax to see if it resolves the issue. Will provide an update.

Quote:
This amp hum problem has been wholly resolved with a grounding cable from the Denon phono ground screw to the ground plug on my amplifiers --- at the suggestion of @jevansoh
Post 9461 for details...]
post #9832 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Still haven't had a chance to hook mine up but I listened to my old Denon 3802 and realized that with the proper speaker positioning and calibration I still really like the sound it produces for home theater ... Hope I didn't make a mistake going for the 4520 ... Are most of you owners out there happy? Seems like there have been a string of disappointed new owners ....
post #9833 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
...Audyssey set my mains at -10.5 and center at -10 with the 3312. The 4520 sets my mains at - 6.5 and - 6.0 and center at -9.0. I realize its a different audyssey from XT to XT32. I also know that if you run audyssey 10 times that you might get a wide variety of results but will stay within 1-2 db's. I just thought it was kinda weird it set my mains almost 4db's higher.
Thanks for posting this! I formed a hypothesis in another thread that the ability to drive speakers that have a 4 Ohm rating was a plus for us Klipsch RF-7 owners and the higher number means that it is supplying the current needed to drive our speakers more efficiently. {Note: I have the Denon AVR-4311ci which also has the 4 Ohm rating}

EDIT: Here is the thread mentioned: Klipsch Speakers and Audyssey Setup Discussion
cchunter likes this.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 09-21-2014 at 08:42 AM.
post #9834 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My Story with the AVR 4520CI... and I am sticking to it.

Over the course of the last year, I have been giving quite a bit of consideration to "downgrading" my Home Theater to remove my two-channel bias. I just don't listen to music in my theater anymore. That said, I have always been a separates guy and for the last several years I have been running my Revel Performa2 Speakers in a 7.1 Configuration powered by a an Integra DHC 80.3 and Parasound halo A21 and A51 amps. When the Best Buy sale was announced I thought I could pull more than $4,000 out of my theater by selling my pre-amp and amplifiers and replacing them with an integrated AVR. The question I asked myself was simply, what will I give up in the process? I had little doubt the answer to this question was some level of dynamics, detail and overall cohesion of the system. Boy, was I wrong...

Upon removing the AVR 4520 from its box, I had little doubt that I was about to be totally underwhelmed. While it is very attractive and the quality of the exterior components appears to be very good, the AVR is very light. It is ighter than my Integra 80.3 with no amplifier section and far lighter than either of my Parasound amps. In my line of thinking at the time, there was no possible way this AVR was going to be able to properly handle my Revel speakers.

Removing my separates from my system was a burden, as I expected it to be, and I was not looking forward to reconnecting everything to the AVR, particularly since I honestly believed that I would be reinstalling the Integra soon after. I actually contemplated, more than once, leaving my system in tact and returning the Denon. The biggest problem I encountered was working with the binding posts on the 4520. If you connect bare speaker wire and use high-gauge cable, be prepared to get frustrated. The binding posts are small, positioned very closely to one-another and the threading holes are very narrow. It took me more than an hour to get my 7 speakers properly connected. Furthermore, because of the binding posts proximity to one another, the Denon, when I first turned it on, went into auto-shutdown mode because wires were inadvertently crossed.

Following getting everything properly connected to the AVR, I began working through the internal setup which I have to admit was very easy to get through, far easier than my Integra. The only issue I ran into had to do with Audyssey identifying my front speakers as being out of phase. While it took me a little while to realize this was probably due to my room acoustics, I resolved to allow the system to think they were out of phase and move through the Auto EQ process.

Now it was time to put the Denon through the paces... The first movie I put on was Troy because I know the source material so well and I immediately noticed something I hadn't heard before. In the opening scene as Achilles arrives to do battle, there was a seemlessness to the panning and the surrounds were much more active than they had been. My immediate reaction was to recheck the sound profile that was being utilized and, after going through the related menus, I determined it was exactly where it was supposed to be. Switching to the first Percy Jackson movie yielded similar results, but this time the LFE during the Hydra scene was tighter and deeper than it was with my previous setup. The bass was alive and perfectly integrated into the mix. Furthermore, the Center stage was perfectly distributed and the voices were more detailed and not localized like they were with the Integra. I was immediately reminded of the review that Sound & Vision did on this receiver a few months back. They concluded that it was the best implementation of Audyssey that they had yet heard and that the receiver seemed to be almost built around it. I firmly believe this to be true.

Over the last few weeks, I have found their review to be spot on in every respect. The simple fact is, while I thought I would be giving up something, I have actually gained a much more refined home theater sound experience. Yes, I said it, the Denon is clearly better from an HT standpoint than my Integra and Parasound combination. Others may not find this to be the case, but with my room, which admittedly is an odd duck, The Denon 4520 is clearly the better performer. So, not only did I bring in an additional $4,000 from selling my old hardware, I improved my system significantly... go figure.

As a final note, as a result of this experience, I will likely never go back to the separates world. I have concluded that much of what they are selling is indeed snake-oil. You may wonder what my two-channel impressions have been of the Denon AVR and, to be honest, I cant characterize the relationship. It has been far too long since I had extensive listening sessions with the Integra, so a real comparison in not possible. I will say that I don't miss the Integra/Parasound setup at all.

John
aaronwt, rlb, Archaea and 3 others like this.

Last edited by nohjy; 09-21-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #9835 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Anyone using irule with feedbacks? I cannot for the life of me get a volume feedback to work; all I want to do is display the volume on my handset. I tried both the TCP and HTTP versions. I know everything is set up properly because commands sent from those same TCP/HTTP "devices" work, I'm just not getting anything back. I used Putty on my PC and Telnetted in and received the correct response, and did the HTTP command in my web browser and received the correct response, so the problem seems to be solely with irule. Anything obvious I might be doing wrong with the feedback?
post #9836 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

I will say that I don't miss the Integra/Parasound setup at all.

John
Glad to see a mostly glowing review on this unit.
I have yet to set mine up and am hoping I will have te same results.
I got in on the very good sale that happened recently and can't see how I could go wrong.
I did notice that BB do not have them listed on their site anymore. Not sure what indication that is, if any.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Chris
post #9837 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Over the course of the last year, I have been giving quite a bit of consideration to "downgrading" my Home Theater to remove my two-channel bias. I just don't listen to music in my theater anymore. That said, I have always been a separates guy and for the last several years I have been running my Revel Performa2 Speakers in a 7.1 Configuration powered by a an Integra DHC 80.3 and Parasound halo A21 and A51 amps. When the Best Buy sale was announced I thought I could pull more than $4,000 out of my theater by selling my pre-amp and amplifiers and replacing them with an integrated AVR. The question I asked myself was simply, what will I give up in the process? I had little doubt the answer to this question was some level of dynamics, detail and overall cohesion of the system. Boy, was I wrong...

Upon removing the AVR 4520 from its box, I had little doubt that I was about to be totally underwhelmed. While it is very attractive and the quality of the exterior components appears to be very good, the AVR is very light. It is ighter than my Integra 80.3 with no amplifier section and far lighter than either of my Parasound amps. In my line of thinking at the time, there was no possible way this AVR was going to be able to properly handle my Revel speakers.

Removing my separates from my system was a burden, as I expected it to be, and I was not looking forward to reconnecting everything to the AVR, particularly since I honestly believed that I would be reinstalling the Integra soon after. I actually contemplated, more than once, leaving my system in tact and returning the Denon. The biggest problem I encountered was working with the binding posts on the 4520. If you connect bare speaker wire and use high-gauge cable, be prepared to get frustrated. The binding posts are small, positioned very closely to one-another and the threading holes are very narrow. It took me more than an hour to get my 7 speakers properly connected. Furthermore, because of the binding posts proximity to one another, the Denon, when I first turned it on, went into auto-shutdown mode because wires were inadvertently crossed.

Following getting everything properly connected to the AVR, I began working through the internal setup which I have to admit was very easy to get through, far easier than my Integra. The only issue I ran into had to do with Audyssey identifying my front speakers as being out of phase. While it took me a little while to realize this was probably due to my room acoustics, I resolved to allow the system to think they were out of phase and move through the Auto EQ process.

Now it was time to put the Denon through the paces... The first movie I put on was Troy because I know the source material so well and I immediately noticed something I hadn't heard before. In the opening scene as Achilles arrives to do battle, there was a seemlessness to the panning and the surrounds were much more active than they had been. My immediate reaction was to recheck the sound profile that was being utilized and, after going through the related menus, I determined it was exactly where it was supposed to be. Switching to the first Percy Jackson movie yielded similar results, but this time the LFE during the Hydra scene was tighter and deeper than it was with my previous setup. The bass was alive and perfectly integrated into the mix. Furthermore, the Center stage was perfectly distributed and the voices were more detailed and not localized like they were with the Integra. I was immediately reminded of the review that Sound & Vision did on this receiver a few months back. They concluded that it was the best implementation of Audyssey that they had yet heard and that the receiver seemed to be almost built around it. I firmly believe this to be true.

Over the last few weeks, I have found their review to be spot on in every respect. The simple fact is, while I thought I would be giving up something, I have actually gained a much more refined home theater sound experience. Yes, I said it, the Denon is clearly better from an HT standpoint than my Integra and Parasound combination. Others may not find this to be the case, but with my room, which admittedly is an odd duck, The Denon 4520 is clearly the better performer. So, not only did I bring in an additional $4,000 from selling my old hardware, I improved my system significantly... go figure.

As a final note, as a result of this experience, I will likely never go back to the separates world. I have concluded that much of what they are selling is indeed snake-oil. You may wonder what my two-channel impressions have been of the Denon AVR and, to be honest, I cant characterize the relationship. It has been far too long since I had extensive listening sessions with the Integra, so a real comparison in not possible. I will say that I don't miss the Integra/Parasound setup at all.

John

My experience was very similar coming from an Onkyo PR-SC5508 and Sherbourn 7-350. The Denon's version of Audyssey (Audyssey Platinum MultiEQ XT32) is the first version of Audyssey I've ever liked, and I've tried them all.

I used Bananna plugs to plug in my speaker wires. Took me all of about 30 seconds to plug in my channels.

The Denon told me I had a right surround out of phase in auto calibration. I thought great - something's messed up on my unit, but I proceeded to verify all the wiring. It was all good at first glance and I was disappointed thinking the Denon was messed up. I decided before pressing continue to pull apart the wall jack and make sure everything was correct there. PROBLEM DISCOVERED! my wall jack was wired wrong - meaning I'd had a speaker out of phase since about April when I was putting my room together.

The Onkyo prepro never discovered that. Needless to say - I'm very impressed with this AVR, and prefer it over my previous Onkyo/Sherbourn 7-350 combo.

post 9330 are my initial impressions in this thread.
The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread
Matt2026 likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 09-21-2014 at 12:36 PM.
post #9838 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I answered a few questions of the original initial impressions I posted in #9330 post.

Quote:
So after a night of playing with the Denon 4520CI I have a couple observations I'd like to ask the other owners about

2) When I leave the video conversion setting on - and play with the different picture adjust modes - is it just me or does "Streaming" look way better than anything else? Almost like a Darbee Darblet effect?
Confirmed with multiple titles - with the Denon spitting out to my Panasonic AE8000U projector - this particular video mode looks the sharpest, and is desireable on my setup on nearly every movie except something with extreme film grain already baked in - IE the movie 300.

3) There are a LOT of audio processing things hidden in many menus to turn off to get to the sound I'm used to with the Onkyo PR-SC5508. All the dynamic compression functions and fancy features do a number on the sound - I can't say it's bad just after the Audyssey run, but definitely not what I was used to. This is the best Audyssey multieq XT32 has ever sounded for me and the first time I've actually liked it for music and movies and not wanted to immeaditely turn it off. I've used Audyssey MultiEQ XT on the Onkyo TX-NR1007 and XT32 on the Onkyo PR-SC5508. I do think Audyssey behaves differently on this unit. For the positive.

I realized that each input has it's own settings and Audyssey settings and bass level settings are per input - unlike the Onkyo PR-SC5508 which shares these settings universally.

4) Does everyone's Denon 4520CI AVR LCD screen have a lot of backlight bleed glow? Mine has a ton. The Onkyo LCD displays are better, unless mine is not right. I can't even read it from my seat - it looks like a glowing hot mess if I turn the brightness to max, and when I turn the brightness to dim it's too dark to read from my seat. Not that big a deal - but surprising to me.

The "hot mess" has dimmed over the last couple weeks now and it's fine. I'm not sure what was going on - but it's okay now. It's readable, and looks more as I would expect instead of just a bright blurry mess. Maybe it needed a bit of time to burn in?

8) All channel stereo is better on the Onkyo PR-SC5508. Pretty much every single other DSP mode is better on the Denon. I never liked the DSP modes on the Onkyo except all channel stereo. Onkyo adds an additional 3DB to the front speakers in all channel stereo. Denon seems to have all channels level matched in their equivalent all channel stereo - which makes the rears a bit distracting in this DSP setting.

I determined that this is the fault of Dynamic EQ. If you disable Dynamic EQ then multichannel on the Denon is acceptable. Otherwise the rears are way too hot in volume with typical use.

Overall very pleased with the purchase. This seems like a VERY nice unit!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #9839 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1444
Yes, unfortunately using DEQ makes multich stereo mode almost unlistenable. The surrounds are sent the same signal as the fronts but it's heavily boosted.

For the same reason it causes a mess with a lot of video games where a sound pans around you. It's really intended for ambient surround effects that are typical of most movie soundtracks were their lower volume causes them to fall off perceptually more rapidly, collapsing the surround bubble towards the front.
rlb likes this.
post #9840 of 10217 Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My emphasis;

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Glad to see a mostly glowing review on this unit.
I have yet to set mine up and am hoping I will have te same results.
I got in on the very good sale that happened recently and can't see how I could go wrong.
I did notice that BB do not have them listed on their site anymore. Not sure what indication that is, if any.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Chris
Hi Chris,

Fits with Amazon, where its selling at $1599...

Denon AVR-4520CI Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Only 9 left in stock.
Sold by Vanns and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

Denon's site also took it off the receiver page where I used to see it... The link to it doesn't work now.

I haven't fired mine up yet either but getting closer. A few more things to do, like add a shelf to my stand and then assemble the banana plugs and start plugging in...

Hope we all have great experiences with the 4510s

Regards, Ken (Retired)

Denon AVR4520CI; 9.1 setup
Samsung 55H8000 TS02
Samsung BD-F7500 (2014)
Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page